PDA

View Full Version : Daily Telegraph: Justine and Venus Are Out of French Open

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 01:05 PM
French field in disarray
By John Thirsk

May 11, 2004

JUST two weeks out from the French Open at Roland Garros, the women's field is in disarray with three of the world's top-eight ranked players out of the year's second grand slam championship.

Missing through injury and illness are the Belgian duo, world No.1 Justine Henin-Hardenne (virus) and No.2 Kim Clijsters, and American Venus Williams (ankle).

The injury toll has given Serena Williams - herself playing only her second event after eight months on the sideline at the Italian Open starting in Rome tonight - a saloon passage to another grand slam victory. Older sister Venus, 23, is on crutches after rolling her ankle in a semi-final at the Berlin Open on the weekend

The Daily Telegraph

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 01:06 PM
I don't believe this story based on what we have been hearing about Justine.

SpikeyAidanm
May 11th, 2004, 01:08 PM
:o No Venus
:o No Kim
:o No Justine

On the other hand, at least Aussie TV can broadcast matches of other players :)

bandabou
May 11th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Me neither....I think Venusīs gonna be ready.

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Me neither....I think Venusīs gonna be ready.
Me too.

flyingmachine
May 11th, 2004, 01:10 PM
French field in disarray
By John Thirsk

May 11, 2004

JUST two weeks out from the French Open at Roland Garros, the women's field is in disarray with three of the world's top-eight ranked players out of the year's second grand slam championship.

Missing through injury and illness are the Belgian duo, world No.1 Justine Henin-Hardenne (virus) and No.2 Kim Clijsters, and American Venus Williams (ankle).

The injury toll has given Serena Williams - herself playing only her second event after eight months on the sideline at the Italian Open starting in Rome tonight - a saloon passage to another grand slam victory. Older sister Venus, 23, is on crutches after rolling her ankle in a semi-final at the Berlin Open on the weekend

The Daily Telegraph
It sounds like The Daily Telegraph got the information WRONG again.

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Isn't this the same paper that said Venus and Serena wouldn't play doubles at Wimbledon last year and they did?

Lady
May 11th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I don't believe it either... :rolleyes:

Especially cos it's too early for Venus to know for sure

Infiniti2001
May 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Damn Liz, are you a drama queen or what??? :rolleyes: I mean, Freewoman started a thread and this very article was posted in there--you posted in it @9:03. Did you have to make it into a special thread ?? Damn!!! :o

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Damn Liz, are you a drama queen or what??? :rolleyes: I mean, Freewoman started a thread and this very article was posted in there--you posted in it @9:03. Did you have to make it into a special thread ?? Damn!!! :o
Why not?

You had two choices to post or not to post.:rolleyes:

What if the same article was in an American paper and I posted it?

per4ever
May 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
it's not true.... certainly not about Justine :)

Juju #1
May 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Australian newspapers...

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Australian newspapers...
That explains everything.

servenrichie
May 11th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Damn Liz, are you a drama queen or what??? :rolleyes: I mean, Freewoman started a thread and this very article was posted in there--you posted in it @9:03. Did you have to make it into a special thread ?? Damn!!! :oTalk about one irritating poster:o

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Talk about one irritating poster:oBetter an irrating poster than an irrating human being.:tape:

In case you were wondering, I was talking about you.

pigam
May 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Better an irrating poster than an irrating human being.:tape:

In case you were wondering, I was talking about you.
Let me quote the famous Bandabou in exclaiming: "DANG !?!"

Greenout
May 11th, 2004, 02:11 PM
It's an Australian paper, they were drunk when the presses were running
at 3am yesterday morning. ;)

More like hoping Venus and Justine won't be there, since
Aussie Kim isn't there officially.

switz
May 11th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Australian newspapers...

every country has a bad newspaper mate. that doesn't mean you generalise about the quality of other papers because it. australia has very high standards of journalism generally. it's like saying because the news of the world or the sun in britain says david beckham slept with a dog that the times said the same thing.

katrientje
May 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Man, this isn't good for my heart, they probably just made their own conclusions, based on something they heard
I don't believe it, like they would be the first to know, yeah right ?!?

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM
How so?

If you know the information is wrong, then why do you start a thread "justine and venus are out of the FO"? Maybe that's why you get negative responses.

And some people won't read the thread and assume it's true.
What I meant was that since their favorite daughter Kim is already out, they want her rivals (Venus and Justine) to be out too.

I didn't say the information was wrong; I said I don't believe it.

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Oh I see.

That's 100% sure wrong as Henin is healthy again and training. ;)
In addition, we don't know the extent of Venus' injury. She cold show up at the FO healther than most of the field.

SJW
May 11th, 2004, 02:41 PM
you know, i almost had a heart attack when i signed on and read this

if it's not true please delete it. if Serena was in the title, i woulda kicked your ass already :lol:

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 02:49 PM
you know, i almost had a heart attack when i signed on and read this

if it's not true please delete it. if Serena was in the title, i woulda kicked your ass already :lol:
It will be once we know for sure they are out or in the FO.

SJW
May 11th, 2004, 02:51 PM
then change the title!

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 02:59 PM
then change the title!
To what?

To what?

tennnisfannn
May 11th, 2004, 03:08 PM
I am surprised the article forgot to mention hingis had accepted a wildcard into the French Open and that Sandrine's daughter was also in the juniors.. The writer seems bitter that Serena actually has a chance of winning the FO.

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I am surprised the article forgot to mention hingis had accepted a wildcard into the French Open and that Sandrine's daughter was also in the juniors.. The writer seems bitter that Serena actually has a chance of winning the FO.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Avid Merrion
May 11th, 2004, 03:37 PM
It will be once we know for sure they are out or in the FO.
but it won't be if they are in :scratch:

lizchris
May 11th, 2004, 03:38 PM
but it won't be if they are in :scratch:
If they are out, it will stay; if they are in, it will be deleted.

Dava
May 11th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Well its not like the Telegraph to speculate.

switz
May 11th, 2004, 11:40 PM
What I meant was that since their favorite daughter Kim is already out, they want her rivals (Venus and Justine) to be out too.

I didn't say the information was wrong; I said I don't believe it.

although australians may like kim, believe when i say that australians do not care anywhere near enough about women's tennis for a paper to be printing false information just to make us feel better about kim being out. the reality is that 99.5% of australians wouldn't even know she is injured as there were no news stories about clijsters being out of the RG just as there would not be if molik or any other australian women pulled out. this is just a crappy newspaper who probably needed to fill a bit of the sports section and therefore got a young guy or girl to write up something about RG and they simple got some info wrong, and the editors, not being wtaworld posters, didn't pick up on it.

Dymension
May 11th, 2004, 11:41 PM
:eek:

Vee :( :fiery:

DutchieGirl
May 11th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Geez! :eek: And people were complaining about the AO field...

CC
May 11th, 2004, 11:44 PM
:haha:

DutchieGirl
May 11th, 2004, 11:47 PM
every country has a bad newspaper mate. that doesn't mean you generalise about the quality of other papers because it. australia has very high standards of journalism generally. it's like saying because the news of the world or the sun in britain says david beckham slept with a dog that the times said the same thing.
The Daily Telegraph is only in one state of Australia anyway, as far as I know (it's from Sydney)...Melbourne doesn't even have it.

DutchieGirl
May 11th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Maybe he has a brain then! :p

faste5683
May 12th, 2004, 01:29 AM
To what?

To what?

How about: "According to a small, washed up Australian scandal sheet known as the 'Daily Telegraph', Venus and Justine are out of the French Open. Also in the news, Aussie scientist discovers rare pigs who have wings and the ability to fly."

:wavey:

Martian Jeza
May 12th, 2004, 01:37 AM
it's not true.... certainly not about Justine :)

Indeed, nothing red of heared about that in the Belgian Press. Only Justine is not so happy with her biography :D

xr6turbo
May 12th, 2004, 02:01 AM
I find it hard to believe that a newspaper would know this for a fact only 4 days after Venus injured her ankle, plus Justine has apparently started full time training again. There would be an official statement from Venus or Justine if they withdrew, not some speculative newspaper article. ;)

switz
May 12th, 2004, 03:34 AM
The Daily Telegraph is only in one state of Australia anyway, as far as I know (it's from Sydney)...Melbourne doesn't even have it.

yeah it is a sydney paper, but it's a news corporation paper and i think its melbourne equivalent is the herald sun. they share resources and use many of the same journalists.

LindsayRocks89
May 12th, 2004, 03:48 AM
neither of them are out, and i think that both of them will be at the french :wavey:

Juju #1
May 12th, 2004, 05:31 AM

I don't generalize about the quality...But, in this case, Australia is a looong way from the source to be able to have accurate informations