PDA

View Full Version : Is Davenport kicking herself?

Eurotennisfan
May 10th, 2004, 08:11 PM
With Venus, Serena, Justine, Capriati, Kim not playing well, or playing injured (or not playing at all) if Davenport had prepared herself better for the Clay court season (ala, played a red clay event) she would have almost been a sure bet for the title. She, however, comes in slightly under prepared at a time were she really could have been the favorite going in.

bw2082
May 10th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Probably not since she's never played much in the european clay season to begin with.

foreva lindsay
May 10th, 2004, 08:38 PM
shes been practicising for the grass season well titles after RG
but i think he has a good chance at RG but venus is inform tho

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM
For heavens sake is she trying to feign injury too

Nikki
May 10th, 2004, 08:46 PM
She will play a red clay event next week in Strasburg

foreva lindsay
May 10th, 2004, 08:47 PM
yup hopefully she'l win that :D

Steffica Greles
May 10th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Trouble is, I really don't think Lindsay WOULD be kicking herself.

Her lack of care for a surface that - for god's sake - she's never done all that badly on has baffled me the entire latter half of her career. Admittedly, 2000, 2001 & 2002 she was plagued by injuries. And true enough, so too at Roland Garros last year she reached the fourth round before having to retire.

So in all fairness, she's had very bad luck in previous years. But I've just always sensed a lack of effort with Lindsay and clay, like she really can't be bothered with it any more, particularly red clay. And there's no reason for it. I actually think red clay suits her baseline game quite well - and her record on clay is quite solid.

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 10:06 PM
The only thing she has ever said that she likes about it is that the ball sits up for her to nail it. To me Lindsay is very sharp on clay because she knows that she really has to be on her toes and be even more agressive than usual. I hope she wins Strasbourg:)

tennisIlove09
May 10th, 2004, 10:07 PM
No, she's not kicking herself.

bandabou
May 10th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Well itīs just being realistic....she ainīt doing damage on the surface and thatīs the bottom line. She can win the strasbourghs and madrids of this world, but anything above that..ainīt winning that. So why bother?!

Kart
May 10th, 2004, 10:56 PM
I doubt it. She hates clay doesn't she ?

Pamela Shriver
May 10th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Is Davenport kicking herself?
I kinda doubt it. She might injure herself. I kicked myself once and was in traction for 6 weeks.

Knizzle
May 10th, 2004, 11:30 PM
No offense to LD, but these days she is not a sure bet for any GS title.

joaco
May 10th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Lindsay knows herself better than any of us do. If she would've played the Italian Open, it would have meant at least 5 weeks in a row outside the US. That is not good for her, mentally.
Besides, she has always entered RG for the past four years with some kind of injury, so I believe it is a wise decision to rest her body and get on going with everything she's got to the red clay. Besides she IS playing Strasbourg a week before, and she has been practicing REAL HARD at home in red clay.
So i believe, and hope, she will have a phenomenal RG.

Joaco

maximus82
May 10th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I don't think Davenport is kicking herself at all. She was my number one from 98-02 and so I read all of her interviews and everything...basically the reason she avoids playing warsaw/berlin/rome is NOT because she hates red clay, but because she hates being away from home for such a long period of time. She said she gets homesick and it really starts to wear on her and hurt her game.

If you think about it, even if a player 'just' plays Rome, FO, a grass court warm-up, and Wimbledon...that's like two months in a row. I guess you could fly home between Rome and FO (or between FO and a grass warm-up) for a week, but then you'd miss practicing time and risk jet-lag. In all, Lindsay is doing what works best for her and I think she is really motivated to go deep into the draws of the next two slams.

LindsayRocks89
May 10th, 2004, 11:47 PM
I really doubt it, Lindsay knows what she's doing, and she doesn't want to be away from home that much for long periods of time, so thats why she chose strasborg leading up the week before the french.

vogus
May 11th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Davenport barely bothers to hide her attitude of, "i'm from Cali, and i'm too cool for Europe and clay, so i don't care how i do at the French. We don't have any clay courts in Cali anyway."

foreva lindsay
May 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Pamela Shriver.... that must of hurt, why did you kick yourself?

Greenout
May 11th, 2004, 09:32 AM
What!!????

As a former big LD supporter back in the old CBS forum days (just askPureracket!),
I tell ya this. Isn't she playing Strasbourg? LD playing Strasbourg? When she
plays Madrid or Strasbourg before RG, this means she's very, very up for Dirt.
Believe me, she hasn't look this freaking happy playing tennis this year
since early 2000!! :haha:

I forecast she'll at least make the QF's.