PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Monica will win her 1st round match at the French on her return?

vogus
May 10th, 2004, 04:45 PM
has the game passed Seles by in her absence? Is she still capable of winning matches on the tour?

hollywood7172
May 10th, 2004, 04:51 PM
oh, i'm sure she can still beat plenty of players on tour, or else she wouldn't be coming back. she's a veteran and a pro, she know what she's doing.

of course, if she draws the likes or sharapova, sprem, or pierce, etc, then it may get interesting.

are you sure this is a legit thread, or just a reaction to that thread asking if seles can win FO??

there are 2 kinds of people in this world: those who act, and those who re-act. seems this thread belongs to the latter.

jimbo mack
May 10th, 2004, 04:52 PM
depends on who she plays

she'll be able to beat the slump players like bartoli, stevenson or srebotnik

but will lose to the likes of kuznetsova, sharapova, mauresmo etc

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 10th, 2004, 05:59 PM
When Monica gets her groove back, there's no question she'll be a fixture in the top 20, maybe even the top 10. With Clijsters out, Henin and Venus in question (and definitely 100% for RG), Capriati struggling this year, Davenport never playing well on the red dirt, and Serena with her knee potentially, Monica has the chance to go extremely far.

She'll get a special seeding for RG, but a lot has to do with her draw. If she gets some no name player ranked 70 or 80, she'll win. It may take a set to get into it, but she'll win.

If she draws a clay court player who's been hot this year like Emilie Loit or Sanchez Lorenzo or Jelena Kostanic...maybe not.

However, Monica has a lengthy history of kicking some serious ass after long layoffs. There's no reason why that trend shouldn't continue.

Venus Forever
May 10th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I have a feeling that Roland Garros, if she plays, will be the last tournament Monica EVER plays.

I just don't think her foot is going to hold up, and the match she loses or retires in, will be the last match of her career, and she will call it quits.

I don't know, but that "Seles update" thread did not sound too good for Monica.

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Yes, if she draws azza in the first round she's got a great chance

R&J
May 10th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Do you think Monica will win her 1st round match at the French on her return?

Assuming that she plays the French......Definitely :yeah:

foreva lindsay
May 10th, 2004, 07:46 PM
oh i hope so, she deserves to

Volcana
May 10th, 2004, 08:04 PM
If she has to face a seeded player, no. SHe hasn't played a competitive match in a year. If they seed her so she can get maybe get a match against someone outside the top 100, that's another story.

rfs1999
May 10th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Go Monica!
You can win.

Kart
May 10th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I think she can win her first round match, but obviously it depends on whom she plays.

Havok
May 10th, 2004, 10:11 PM
as long as she faces an unseeded opponent, Monica can win. Monica can even beat some of the seeded players because that's just how good she is. I hope to see her in the Rg draw:rocker2:

MrSerenaWilliams
May 10th, 2004, 10:58 PM
If she has to face a seeded player, no. SHe hasn't played a competitive match in a year. If they seed her so she can get maybe get a match against someone outside the top 100, that's another story.
Fortunately the chances of that happening are EXTREMELY unlikely seeing as, from what I hear, she'll get a special seeded ranking, soooooo who knows? I hope she does very well, but....she has to play the tournament before she can win a single match.

maximus82
May 10th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Hmmm...I love Monica, so I hope she can win not only her first match, but make a decent run at Roland Garros. But I don't think any of us can really know what kind of play to expect from her, given that we haven't seen her compete in forever.

LindsayRocks89
May 10th, 2004, 11:04 PM
i just want her to be healthy, but i think she could win a few rounds actually.

BigB08822
May 10th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I do think she can win her first round match, especially if they give her a special seeding in the top 12!

I think if she can get a nice draw and have 2-3 wins she might just build up enough momentum and steam to somehow surprise. I think a win would be nothing short of a miracle but perhaps quarterfinals would not be that out of the question?