PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Monica will win the French on her return?

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I would not be surprised if she does and make history again, and then proving that she is and should be the greatest player of all time and the stabbing took it away. I would like to see her and venus in the finals at wimbledon and to see Monica defeat Justine or serena in the finals at roland garros. It would make tennis exciting again.

Mase
May 10th, 2004, 03:01 PM
I dont think so... :sad::sad:

I dont think she'll even be ready to play yet.... I just want her to come back when she is 100% ready.

Knizzle
May 10th, 2004, 03:07 PM
I love Monica and all, but R U crazy??!! :confused:

Ballbuster
May 10th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Heck No!

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:10 PM
She's as much chance of winning the French, as I have getting poster of the year award

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 03:10 PM
If you consider the way the sport is today, I imagine that the Canadian Open in 1996 when she returned was just as hard, so why not? I see it happening because she is the only one out there who knows the time spent away will make you hungry and I would like to see her satisfy her hunger. IT could happen.

SJW
May 10th, 2004, 03:11 PM
prediction: Monica will win the French Open

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 03:12 PM
I could also she her pulling the two vulnerable ones (unless serena is seeded as number two), but I could see her pulling capriati, dementieva and henin-hardenne and we all know their injuries have been recent and their form is off and with monica anxious and very hungry, I could see her actually winning the matches. It would be fun to see her do it.

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:13 PM
prediction: SJW's insane

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 03:13 PM
prediction: Monica will win the French Open

Hey SJW!! I am from Barbados too. WOW!!!

azza
May 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Can pigs fly?

Pureracket
May 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Can pigs fly?I love your posts because you're always so positive. :D You never seem bitter or mean or anything like that.

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:34 PM
It shows someone’s lack of tennis savvy to even ask this ridiculous question to begin with

DA FOREHAND
May 10th, 2004, 03:34 PM
HELL NO......Or more to the point. As much chance as Jelana Dokic

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM
lol yes, she'll defeat Dokic in a tough 3 set match, and the French crowd will applaud Hingis as she takes her seat in the crowd to watch the game

azza
May 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM
the question should be can she win a round on her french open return

No offense Monica Fans :kiss:

vancouverite
May 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM
I dont think so... :sad::sad:

I dont think she'll even be ready to play yet.... I just want her to come back when she is 100% ready.
Agreed...don't think she'll be quite ready to play by the time the French rolls around. Now, if you're asking about 2005....!

Go Monica!:kiss:

jdog3008
May 10th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Well, Venus won Australia without any match practice, didn't she? :confused:

Fingon
May 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM
I love Monica and all, but R U crazy??!! :confused:
not really. Monica's problem has always been fitness, she is supposed to be fresh.

The field is depleted and Monica ALWAYS comes back strong.

does US Open 95 ring a bell?, she came back after over two years off, TWO YEARS!, won her first tournament back (a tier 1!) and then reached the final of a Grand Slam.

Granted Monica was younger, but that is not a factor, she really can't be "tired" and obviously she can get over long laid-offs, and remember this is clay, Monica's favourite surface.

If Justine and Serena are not 100% and Monica is healthy, she might be THE favourite IMO

SelesFan70
May 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM
4th round is a GUARANTEE (place your bets right now!)...if she plays. :angel:

Fingon
May 10th, 2004, 03:59 PM
If you consider the way the sport is today, I imagine that the Canadian Open in 1996 when she returned was just as hard, so why not? I see it happening because she is the only one out there who knows the time spent away will make you hungry and I would like to see her satisfy her hunger. IT could happen.
was canadian open 95 but she won 96 as well :)

people in this thead obviously don't know Monica, I am not even a Monica fan but what Monica accomplished in her return is IMO the most amazing comeback story ever, by a light year (despite the press wanting the Capriati come back to be it), nobody ever, men or women has done something like that and she certainly can do it again.

If Justine, Kim or Serena were playing and healthy I would doubt it, but under the current circumnstances, Monica has a better shot than many others.

Funny that people write Monica off, a 9 times GS champion and a player that has proven she comes back not only strong but stronger and yet think that Petrova who hasn't even won a tier 5 can win the title.

I they think they understand tennis :confused:

SelesFan70
May 10th, 2004, 04:03 PM

people in this thead obviously don't know Monica, I am not even a Monica fan but what Monica accomplished in her return is IMO the most amazing comeback story ever, by a light year (despite the press wanting the Capriati come back to be it), nobody ever, men or women has done something like that and she certainly can do it again.

If Justine, Kim or Serena were playing and healthy I would doubt it, but under the current circumnstances, Monica has a better shot than many others.

Funny that people write Monica off, a 9 times GS champion and a player that has proven she comes back not only strong but stronger and yet think that Petrova who hasn't even won a tier 5 can win the title.

:worship:

DA FOREHAND
May 10th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Check your calendars people it's no longer 1995...2004! A whole new ball game, and while the women's game isn't as deep at the mens, the level is much higher than in 95.

Steffi Graf may be the last 30 yr. old to win the French. Monica's what? 28/29?

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 04:16 PM

The doubters on this board are the new crop of fans who became fans in the last two years or so. They don't have the required knowledge or experience on the sport to even sit down and have a decent conversation about it. None of them has given a reason as to why they think she would only make a few rounds. I say that if anyone is capable of pulling it off is monica. A shorter injury is harder to get over than a long injury as serena has proven recently. I could see monica reaching at least the finals and depending on the right opponent, she can very well be the winner. Good Luck Monica

TeeRexx
May 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM
No, Monica has no chance of winning and little chance of getting to the quarters.

DA FOREHAND
May 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM
What do you think her draw would have to be in order for her to make the finals/win the French?

r1 Some Japanese player
r2 Dokic
r3 Anna K
r4 Kostanic
Q Ai
S Pistolesi
F Kim C.

slydevil6142
May 10th, 2004, 04:23 PM
The doubters on this board are the new crop of fans who became fans in the last two years or so. They don't have the required knowledge or experience on the sport to even sit down and have a decent conversation about it. None of them has given a reason as to why they think she would only make a few rounds. I say that if anyone is capable of pulling it off is monica. A shorter injury is harder to get over than a long injury as serena has proven recently. I could see monica reaching at least the finals and depending on the right opponent, she can very well be the winner. Good Luck Monica
one reason she wont win .... she lost to MARTINA NAV.... COME ON PEOPLE!! ... I know that it was just an expo but still if she couldnt beat her theres no way shes going to win ... although i must admit it would be great if she somehow found a way to do it I just dont think thats a realistic possibility.

hewittrok
May 10th, 2004, 04:26 PM
no.

matija-seles
May 10th, 2004, 04:35 PM
The question makes no sense. Of course she is going to WIN the whole damn thing!

hewittrok
May 10th, 2004, 04:37 PM
The question makes no sense. Of course she is going to WIN the whole damn thing!So is she going to play teh french Open?

Task
May 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM
No

St.Sebastian
May 10th, 2004, 05:05 PM
The question makes no sense. Of course she is going to WIN the whole damn thing!
Keep dreaming :rolleyes:

Monica couldn't beat Navratilova in the exhibition and we all saw what Martina's results in singles were recently...
Monica would be happy to pass the first round. But she'll lose when she gets any of the 32 seeds or a youngster like Golovin or Strycova.

hewittrok
May 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM
well we can just wait and see what will happen at the french open, its only 2 weeks away.

hingis-seles
May 10th, 2004, 05:36 PM
If Steffi can win RG at age 30, it should be a piece of cake for Monica.

Brαm
May 10th, 2004, 05:40 PM
azza's right. I'd be surprised if she reached the 3rd round!

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I agree with Fingon. The only chance Seles has of winning the tournament is if there is a no-show of the top 20-30 players

R&J
May 10th, 2004, 07:48 PM
She's as much chance of winning the French, as I have getting poster of the year award
Are you really?!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS! :bounce:

R&J
May 10th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Monica couldn't beat Navratilova in the exhibition and we all saw what Martina's results in singles were recently...

Yes, but Monica wasnt at the Exo to win, she was there just to hit some balls for fun and make some money for charity. Believe me, I was there.

GoDominique
May 10th, 2004, 08:33 PM
The problem is not that she's coming back from injury.
The problem is that she's 30 and hasn't won a slam for 8 years.

CapFan#1
May 10th, 2004, 08:53 PM
As much as I would love for it to happen, there is no way. She hasn't played a tour level match in a whole year, and she lost to Martina N in an exhibition. Is she even playing the FO???? I heard it is not sure yet. I think 4th round or quarters is possible with the right draw, and that result in itself would be impressive alone.

At this point, I think we should just be happy if she can return to compete at all!! If she returns, I would look for her to be more of a factor come the summer hard court season, save that her foot holds up!

Jakub
May 10th, 2004, 08:55 PM

Monica would be happy to pass the first round. But she'll lose when she gets any of the 32 seeds or a youngster like Golovin or Strycova.
If she is 100% healthy she can compete on the tour like she did before injury. There is now way she forgot how to win a match :o
If she is not then she will lose in 1st round.

GABRIEL
May 10th, 2004, 09:33 PM
I am almost 40 so I am from the "old guard" of tennis fan, and because of that I love Monica and her passion for tennis. I saw her rising and disappearing after the stabbing, and I was very happy when she came back.

Having said all that, I think you are dreaming here...first we must see if Monica ever returns to play tennis, and if she does (and believe me, I would be delighted) she will probably lose on 1st or 2nd round in Paris, no way she can go that far, she has been out for too long.

Kart
May 10th, 2004, 09:40 PM
not really. Monica's problem has always been fitness, she is supposed to be fresh.

The field is depleted and Monica ALWAYS comes back strong.

does US Open 95 ring a bell?, she came back after over two years off, TWO YEARS!, won her first tournament back (a tier 1!) and then reached the final of a Grand Slam.

Granted Monica was younger, but that is not a factor, she really can't be "tired" and obviously she can get over long laid-offs, and remember this is clay, Monica's favourite surface.

If Justine and Serena are not 100% and Monica is healthy, she might be THE favourite IMO
Fingon - forget any time I've ever disagreed with you before, I think I love you :kiss:.

Seriously though, Maccardel whatever you're smoking, send me some of it :smoke: ;).

Only a truly die hard fan of Monica could really believe she could win the French open after a year's absence and no warm-up.

So naturally I think she's got a great chance of winning it - and Wimbledon too :cool:.

faboozadoo15
May 10th, 2004, 11:23 PM

not that we should use an exhibition as proof of anything (they are designed to go to 2 sets only, btw-- i think that's well known) but monica did that a few days after getting her softcast taken off and that was a while ago...

was anna k better than tanasugarn when tammi was in the top 30? anna beat her in an exho

faboozadoo15
May 10th, 2004, 11:30 PM
i think she'll have a strong showing. her odds of winning it aren't poll-worthy to say te least. but who knows? things can open up, and no one knows how to win matches (big ones) like monica seles does. and she looks so nice :)
anyway, i'll be just sugarhigh, punchdrunk et al for a while if i just get to see her win a match.

and my God, monica played a few tournaments last year, none of which she was 100 percent at, and she made a tier 1 final at tokyo and made the final of dubai and had a match point against justine in the final...

fammmmedspin
May 10th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Another 30-40 injured players and her chances would be pretty good even if she can't play at full throttle yet.

thelittlestelf
May 10th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Nobody's forgetting Monica's great comeback success, it's just that when she DID come back she was the dominant player on tour, and even before she got injured that wasn't the case. I think it's hard for anybody to win their first tournament back from a long layoff, but never mind a grand slam!

peanuts
May 11th, 2004, 04:06 AM
no

maccardel
May 11th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Fingon - forget any time I've ever disagreed with you before, I think I love you :kiss:.

Seriously though, Maccardel whatever you're smoking, send me some of it :smoke: ;).

Only a truly die hard fan of Monica could really believe she could win the French open after a year's absence and no warm-up.

So naturally I think she's got a great chance of winning it - and Wimbledon too :cool:.

I still think she can win the French and it would put a cap on her career if she rides that momentum into Wimbledon and then I think the tennis season would begin with all the other top players healthy for the hardcourt season and into the USopen. Hey it can happen you know.

emptyhead
May 11th, 2004, 03:45 PM
maccardel's right, never say never

DA FOREHAND
May 11th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Never

rada
May 11th, 2004, 03:51 PM
This is monica we are talking about she can do anything....she can beat anyone on a good day...lets just wait and see how she does :)
monica will kick butt ill hate to meet her in the 1st or 2nd r lol:):):)
go monica show them all