PDA

View Full Version : Is Seles still considered a top 5 player?

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 02:50 PM
I like Monica Seles, but with the current crop of top players and how Venus is working her way back and still prone to injuries, and Sandrine Testud coming off a maternity leave, do you think that Monica is still considered a threat or have she missed her chance and opportunity in the last few months?

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Is she ranked in the Top5? No
Then how can you consider her a top 5 player

*Jool*
May 10th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I definitely not consider her a top 5 player.
If she plays in Paris, I wd be surprised if she wins more than 2 matches.
If she does, it'll be fine, but I don't think she can be very competitive after 1 year not playing and not that good results before this period without playing.

per4ever
May 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM
not even top 10 anymore...may be top 20 if she ever reaches a decent level again...I somehow doubt it.

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 03:08 PM
She came back from her time off from the stabbing and won the Canadian Open and then she came back from her time off to perform very well in los angeles a few years back. I think that Monica has been injured before and can adapt faster than most of the modern day hit 'em hard players. She has the variety and also keep in mind that most of the current top players haven't really played monica on a consistent basis like how lindsay, amelie, jennifer, venus, and serena has. Kim and justine, anastasia, nadia, and the other players, who are new to the top will feel the effects of monica much harder because her style will be different and it will take a lot of getting used to.

I could see monica meeting the russians in the early rounds and getting a good amount of quality points from them and therefore making it back into the top 10 quicker than most of the other players.

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:11 PM
She'll never win another tournament

Vincent
May 10th, 2004, 03:18 PM
She'll never win another tournamentWho knows what would happen in the future? We can't totally count a champion like Monica out. Ivanesvic could win the Wimbledon with such shoulders and ranking, why not Monica in FO. Although it's not likely, we could have a hope. :D

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Monica Seles will never win another tournament, not this year,not next year, not infinityx2

jdog3008
May 10th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Monica was not a Top 5 player before she left. She was a 6-8 ranked player very consistently.

bandabou
May 10th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Not anymore.....top 20 still, but there are many players now who can exploit her lack of movement.

hewittrok
May 10th, 2004, 04:35 PM
I think that Monica still can win a tournament, maybe not a tier 1 but she can still win.

St.Sebastian
May 10th, 2004, 05:11 PM
No way. No top-5, no top-10, no top-20....

Remember her exhibition vs Navratilova? She lost in straights against a player who couldn't pass the 1st round against a lousy opponent.

TeeRexx
May 10th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Monica would struggle to pierce the top 20 - 30 at this time.

R&J
May 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Well I believe in her - and I believe that if the foot is not causing her any pain when she starts playing tournaments again, I think that she can get her winning form back (of course it might take her some time to adjust to tour again, I'm not saying that it will be easy). The pictures I have seen recently show how thin she has gotten even since the Virginia exhibition, and once she gets her timing back with her game.....I think she can win again for sure.

And I dont think that the exo vs Navratilova is such a reliable result to compare with the tour. Monica has won every exo she has played against Navratilova in straight sets over the years, they are friends and seem to like to play exo's against each other.
It seemed that it was time for Martina to finally win one. And I was there, so I can tell you from experiencing it myself, that Monica wasnt going to run alot just for this exo match. It was just for fun to hit some tennis balls again after such a long time, and to make some money for charity. It was obvious Monica wasnt going to go all out and risk hurting her foot so early after her layoff.

But no matter what anybody has to say about the subject, you all have set in your mind that you were here in this thread to cast your shadow of doubt over Monica - and thats fine...thats your choice.
But if you have any knowledge of tennis or who Monica Seles is even after the stabbing lets say, then you should know not to count her out.
If she has set in her mind to come back at her most fittest physical form now and go for it one more time, she could very well go on a huge winning streak and rack up alot of titles.

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 07:35 PM
R&J I hope this thread comes back to haunt us, truly.

R&J
May 10th, 2004, 07:45 PM
R&J I hope this thread comes back to haunt us, truly.
I know...me too.

The recent pictures of Monica show how thin she is now - it truly is exciting to see her in such good shape. For the tennis fans that care about Monica, now we just have to hope that the foot is totally ready - cause her physical form is right where we have all been waiting for, the past few years.

If she goes ahead and skips the French, then look for Monica to make a comeback at WTT in July, and then to Wimbledon - where she could possible be in the best shape of her life!

Kart
May 10th, 2004, 09:16 PM
:yawn: People dismissing Monica Seles is so tired :zzz:.

R&J is the only person in here talking any sense.

You can never rule out a champion like Monica Seles - if you are, you clearly haven't seen enough of her play ...

Steffica Greles
May 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Sorry, ridiculous question.

NO!!

I love Seles to bits, and have immeasurable respect for her. But she wasn't even top 5 when she became injured, so why now?

Frankly, I don't think we'll ever see Seles in the top 20 again. Possibly I don't think we'll see her play at all. In a way, I'm hoping so...:wavey: