PDA

View Full Version : Seles, is she to blame for all the squealing/Grunting/noisy making

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM
And general playing acting within todays game?
After all she did admit that she only grunted to put an opponent off during a junior match.

Jarrett
May 10th, 2004, 03:35 PM
I had never heard of that incedent in a junior match. Against who? I thought Monica didn't play a lot of junior matches.

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM
She talked of it during an interview, it's also in her book

Jarrett
May 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Hmm.. interesting. :D

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Jarrett said - Hmm.. interesting.
Do you mean me, or the issue about Monica?

Jarrett
May 10th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Jarrett said - Hmm.. interesting.
Do you mean me, or the issue about Monica?
why would I be talking about you and not the topic? :confused:

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Cos Im more interesting than Monica Seles, I dunno

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Considering youre one of her fans no wonder she's scared
But no, she wasn't the player

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I never read Tauziat's book, who'd care what she'd have to say

tommyk75
May 10th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Uh, I read Monica's book, and you're totally off-base. She says that she saw another player, Carrie Cunningham, grunting loudly and she incorporated that into her own game. She never talks about starting to grunt to "put an opponent off."

SelesFan70
May 10th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Uh, I read Monica's book, and you're totally off-base. She says that she saw another player, Carrie Cunningham, grunting loudly and she incorporated that into her own game. She never talks about starting to grunt to "put an opponent off."

Where is Carrie Cunninham these days?

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Well she sure put plenty of other players of with her grunting

Eurotennisfan
May 10th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Monica is not the last or first player to grunt.

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately she's not

R&J
May 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately she's not
Thank God Monica came around and started grunting, even though she wasnt the first - I love hearing the players hoop and holler as they play......Seles, the William sisters, Jennifer even grunts as the match starts to progress, alot of the top players make some king of moan or grunt as they hit the ball. Even Kuerten is loud. ;)

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Well I don't like to hear them, I prefer to watch them

Kart
May 10th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Seles was not the only player making noise when she hit the ball at the time.

Incidentally, Tauziat would know all about comedy - her reaching a ranking of no.3 as a career high is quite possibly the biggest joke in history.

faboozadoo15
May 11th, 2004, 12:36 AM
After all she did admit that she only grunted to put an opponent off during a junior match.
that's a lie
and she didn't start it, nor will she be the last.
sabatini (God love her) packed a pretty loud grunt. the first tennis match i ever saw was between monica and gabriela and mary carillo (i THINK) said "for those of you just tuning in, seles is the louder one" and someone else responded "as if anyone could tell-- easier to tell them apart by their strokes, surely"

chris evert also had a grunt
serena has a louder grunt, venus is just as loud, sharapova is loud, justine can get loud... what's the problem? are they trying to put opponents off?

seles was by far the best player of her generation, grunting was a part of her game, everyone knew it, and she wasn't the only one. she beat them by blowing the ball past them-- not from being loud.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 11th, 2004, 12:46 AM
To be honest, while Seles' grunts are pretty damn loud, as well as Sharapova's Serena's Semi-final match was quintessential grunt fest! She would grunt on every shot and would scream and pump her fists after every point she won. She even swung so hard on a backhand, that she swung her earring off! That match was about revenge and FIRE! When it comes to fire in their games coinciding with their grunts, Monica is #1, but the Williams Sisters (Serena in particular, as of late) are close seconds. The rest of the tour (as is the case in seemingly every other measurment of skill and talent) just tends to taper off.

Seles_Beckham
May 11th, 2004, 12:50 AM
I can't wait to hear her grunt again....:yeah: :) :hearts:

faboozadoo15
May 11th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I can't wait to hear her grunt again....:yeah: :) :hearts:
me either... some people listen to the ocean or whales (yes, whales) for quiet rest, but for me-- it's monica seles's throaty grunt. lemonade and monica
heres to hoping this summer will be a loud one!

Eurotennisfan
May 11th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Seles was not the only player making noise when she hit the ball at the time.

Incidentally, Tauziat would know all about comedy - her reaching a ranking of no.3 as a career high is quite possibly the biggest joke in history.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tape: :tape:

Eurotennisfan
May 11th, 2004, 01:32 AM
I love to watch a match with a couple good (erotic) grunters

ktwtennis
May 11th, 2004, 01:43 AM
I love grunting!!

And to answer your question--Jimmy Connors grunted before Monica!

LiliaLee-Frazier
May 11th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Yes she has every reason to be scared.

Tauziat suggested in her book Seles' grunts are a "comedy". And Tauziat is TRAGEDY all the way :eek: :tape:

Veritas
May 11th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Well she sure put plenty of other players of with her grunting

Could you give us the page number and/or exact quote where Monica said she only grunted b/c she wanted to "put-off" other players?

If you can't, then I guess this is just another thread that's either a bad joke or an attempt to piss-off Seles fans.

rada
May 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM
She talked of it during an interview, it's also in her book

monica never said that the only thing monica said was that one player had made a comment on her grunting..

esquímaux
May 11th, 2004, 09:01 AM
me either... some people listen to the ocean or whales (yes, whales) for quiet rest, but for me-- it's monica seles's throaty grunt. lemonade and monica
heres to hoping this summer will be a loud one!

:lol: CHEERS! :yeah:

Dennis
May 11th, 2004, 09:06 AM
That is not true ! Don't make up stories, please !

SpikeyAidanm
May 11th, 2004, 09:14 AM
I like to see the gals and guts grunt, or should I saw sluts and studs :o :p

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 11th, 2004, 09:53 AM
fake grunters on tour

Venus
Serena
Maria Sharapova
Amelie pulls a gabby sabatini(her admitted childhood/teenage/adult crush) occasionally, it's so annoyng. I hope Jen bitch slaps her into next year in the semi's

Seles is for real
And some said the above in another thread the other day...

Rollo
May 11th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I remember when Jimmy Connors was grunting in the mid 70s-he sounded like a seal. There was enough comment about "noise-making" for there to be an article about it in Tennis magazine in the late 70s-so stop trying to slag off on Monica like she invented grunting:mad:

And might I add that only an Emptyheaded person would be silly enough to say Seles will never win another title. I won't believe she's slim until I see on court-but if she is healthy and lost the weight she'll be top ten again-the likes of Myskina, etc aren't even in Monica's class:bounce:

hingis-seles
May 11th, 2004, 01:43 PM
LMAO! :haha: :haha: :haha:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're killing me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kart
May 11th, 2004, 01:54 PM
LMAO! :haha: :haha: :haha:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're killing me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:kiss:

emptyhead
May 11th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Look, trust me I'm always correct: Monica Seles will never win another tournament, I'll tell you what, if she does, I will stop posting (okay, so I'll register with another username, and let on I've stopped)

faboozadoo15
May 11th, 2004, 08:49 PM
there really isn't much going on upstairs, is there? :rolleyes: