PDA

View Full Version : "No top 10 American has EVER gotten less respect from...

V-MAC
May 10th, 2004, 12:08 PM
...the whole American media than Chanda Rubin". Someone said this on chanda's webpage from yahoo and i must agree that it is sad yet very true :( :o It also seems to be very much the case on this board, for chanda being a top 10 player (nearly high as #7 after RG last year) gets little recoignition from anyone-hence all my threads about her the last week or two concerning her knee injury and when she is due back, not a single person posted in response :o :sad: . Foot_fault was on about how people were dissing venus and thinking her career was over when she went through her mini-slump, well at least people were talking about her still,not ignoring her completely like what's happened to chanda.there has to be some chanda fans around on this board concerned about her injury besides me.C'mon chanda fans, show yer support !!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GoGoMaggie
May 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Are you jealous of Venus for gettin so much support on the board while Chanda is virtually ignored?

V-MAC
May 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM
obviously not coz i'm a major venus fan too if you haven't noticed :rolleyes: :o I was just using venus as an example, you could use any other top 10 player as an examplr too for that matter.

tennnisfannn
May 10th, 2004, 01:12 PM
By the way the majority of the threads on this board aren't positive, so be glad for Chanda. Tennis magazine (australian version) did a fantastic articel on her mid last year and she (picture) was spread tight across the centre page. it was absolutely gorgeous, they gave her props.

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I have been a fan of chanda and I agree with the topic. I am also a huge Venus williams fan and did notice the attention focused on the top stars. I mean look at cnnsi.com's tennis page and you see articles on Justine and Kim. I mean they are ranked in the top two, but chanda has been a top 10 player for awhile and her name should be mentioned more than it has been.

azza
May 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Not even Alex Treiber(****) :p j/k :p

*Jool*
May 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM
She also is very dicreet (as Conchita with the Spanish media vs ASV) and such a good person!
I'm so sad she had so many injuries.
Without all these injuries, I think she cd have won a slam or 2 and been top 5 (haven't she been yet anyway?) and have had more recognition.

Knizzle
Like Cool Canuck said, she's never been in a slam final. More importantly she has never won a slam. You have Davenport, Capriati, Venus, and Serena who've all won multiple slams and been #1. Of course she will be overshadowed.

"Sluggy"
yeah I have to agree with you. I basically never ever heard of Chanda til a couple years ago. And you dont see many threads abot her. funny about that.

*Jool*
May 10th, 2004, 04:22 PM
He also said top 10 American , not just those who have made World top10, or I misunderstood and wd saythen that it's quite normal viewing her results and those of other players.

tommyk75
May 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM
I don't know... years and years ago not much was made of Bonnie Gadusek--though not much was really made of anyone besides the holy pair: Chrissie & Martina.

As for the 90's and beyond, I like Chanda, but I think she has less impressive on-court achievements (off-court is a whole different story) than any other American player who was ranked in the Top 10. That would obviously explain why she maybe gets less respect than the other players.

Off the top of my head, you have Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Jennifer, Monica, Martina N, Zina Garrison, Mary Joe Fernandez, and Lori McNeil. The only one Chanda really measures up to Lori, as everyone else on that list has at least reached one Grand Slam final (something Chanda has yet to do).

Now if Chanda had better records than other girls and wasn't getting the proper respect, then we'd really have something to talk about. But until then...