PDA

View Full Version : Which player outside the top 5 has the ability to win RG?

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 07:59 AM
We were talking in another thread that the normal top players are all in some way not playing their top level. I am not talking about the current top ranked 5, but the real top 5 players (in no particular order). Thus the contenders for the slams for the last years'
Justine: just been out for weeks without training, just now healthy again and TRYING to get ready :bounce:
Kim: out, not playing
Serena: probably just coming back at the French but with no matches for a while
Venus: very doubtful with the ankle :sad:
Amélie: seems quite healthy now but has never been able to deal with the pressure of playing in her own country in a slam and is very injury prone

Who do you see capable of snatching the crown because of all this? Which girls can do it?

Gowza
May 10th, 2004, 08:03 AM
hmmmm thats kind of tough, like there are players that have the ability but dont have the consistency then there are the players a level below the top players.

vancouverite
May 10th, 2004, 08:11 AM
The ability to win, outside the top 5?
Seles and Capriati spring immediately to mind. No guarantees they would win, of course, but both have proven they have the ability to win it.;)

kiekeboe
May 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Well, could be Kuznetsova ;)

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 08:23 AM
The ability to win, outside the top 5?
Seles and Capriati spring immediately to mind. No guarantees they would win, of course, but both have proven they have the ability to win it.;)
true, they have the ability, but not now I am afraid :confused:

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Well, could be Kuznetsova ;)
she one of them "for sure"

Je_ne_sais_quoi
May 10th, 2004, 08:43 AM
k-lina!

skanky~skanketta
May 10th, 2004, 08:44 AM
vera zvonareva

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 08:50 AM
k-lina!
That would be something :eek:

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 08:50 AM
vera zvonareva
Vera does have an amazing game on clay, but I don't know if she can go all the way, she still lacking quite some consistency...

GoGoMaggie
May 10th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Conchita Martinez

silverwhite
May 10th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Kuznetsova or Sprem, as already mentioned.

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Conchita Martinez
I don't think so :o

Andy T
May 10th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Davenport and Myskina also seem serious contenders, especially with a kind draw. Linds has had some clay practise and kept herself injury free. THE dark horse this year, maybe?

SpikeyAidanm
May 10th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Schnyder.

sylvain
May 10th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Myskina maybe
Capriati ?
Sprem! :drool:
Martinez
Pierce

Gowza
May 10th, 2004, 10:30 AM
kuznetsova and zvonareva can both play some serious game on clay and so can sprem by the looks of it. and i guess myskina, lindsay, and petrova are also ones to look at.

Gowza
May 10th, 2004, 10:31 AM
oh yeah and as mentioned seles and capriati for sure

AntennA
May 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Sharapova hasn't been mentioned yet? Strange :confused:
She really has the talent to win a/some grand slam(s) within' a few years.
further: Kuznetsova, Sprem (I hope so! :D), Davenport (maybe this year is her last to win a slam, but she's able to do so)

Chunchun
May 10th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Elena Dementieva

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Sharapova hasn't been mentioned yet? Strange :confused:
She really has the talent to win a/some grand slam(s) within' a few years.
further: Kuznetsova, Sprem (I hope so! :D), Davenport (maybe this year is her last to win a slam, but she's able to do so)I think Sharapova hasn't been mentioned, because clay probably is her worst surface, but after what I saw from her, I hope she can get into the quarters...
If sprem keeps her level from last week she can indeed go very far :eek:
But that's THE question, can she become more consistent?

maya
May 10th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Sprem is very talented, as is Sharapova, but I believe they both need more experiance before they can win a grand slam. I would not be surprised if they win it sometime in the future though.

For this year I think one of the four mentioned above will win it. The only other players I can see taking it are Lindsay, Jennifer or Svetlana (no special order).

Chance
May 10th, 2004, 11:36 AM
what about the rest of the top ten? I mean Nadia,Myskina, Lindsay etc

take out the "top 5" and previous champs I would say Nadia, Svetlana and Vera

switz
May 10th, 2004, 11:58 AM
patty for sure. and she will win

GoGoMaggie
May 10th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I think this year's gonna be Maggie's breakthrough at the majors. there fore, it's maggie that get's my fuckin vote.

bmxbandit
May 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Playing at their best? Capriati, Jelena, Seles, Davenport.

kerbear
May 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Capriati, Davenport, Sprem, Zvonareva, Petrova (?), Sveta

*Jool*
May 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Davenport, Martinez, Pierce, Capriati have the ability and certainly the will to win it and maybe some Russian.
But the best oportunity is for Davenport. The others wd have to have luck to win, Lindsay no cos she'll avoid the top5 early and then cd be more competitive and fresher in the last rounds.
But I still think it hard for someone else than SW, VW , Momo or JHH to win
I hope Conchi to win it once (this year is probably her last "good" chance as the best aren't at 100% but she'll have to proove she really wants it and will have to give all she has till death to win it!) If she wins it and never play again a single match, I wd not care bc she'll have her (and my) dream fulfilled...
Go, Conchita !! :bounce:

justine&coria
May 10th, 2004, 02:13 PM
i would say sharapova : sprem doesn't have enough experience (but she's definitely able) !
Maybe Kusnetsova ! i don't see davenport or Capriati.

anyway, the winner will be one of your top 5 !

spec7er
May 10th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I would say Zvonereva, Kuznetsova and Capriati. Schnyder is pretty much one of the best claycourters out there so she shouldn't be left out of this question. And of course there are those 'veterans' namely Conchita Martinez and Mary Pierce, when at their best are real threats.

I don't get the hype behind Sharapova. She hasn't even reached a QF in a BIG tournament. Yes, she can challenge the top players but I think she's not yet at the level of winning at the slam level.

SelesFan70
May 10th, 2004, 04:02 PM
On ABILITY alone....

Seles
Capriati
Davenport
Suarez
Hantuchova
Sharapova
Dementieva

the question is do they have the GAME to win...:shrug:

New
May 10th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Tanasugarn! :yeah:

happygirl
May 10th, 2004, 04:40 PM
I think Lindsay has a great chance because she can beat the heathiest mauresmo on clay...with JHH and the williamses being troubled by injuries...Lindsay may be able to complete her GS collection here!

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
May 10th, 2004, 05:46 PM
in order
LINDSAY > NADIA/SPREM > SHARAPOVA/KUZNETSOVA

DEETHELICK
May 10th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Jennifer, Elena D, Venus (if she hadn't injured her ankle)

V-MAC
May 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM
:confused: tough one, I think Elena Baltacha has as good a chance of any as winning, she could easily :armed: shoot all the competition down if she is on fire :armed:

Allez-H
May 10th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Patty
Sveta:she really amazed me this year,I honestly never thought that she would be this strong.She's really a classact :worship:
I'm afraid it's too early for Vera yet,she has made some progress this year but she still needs to become allot more consistent and mentally though.

Allez-H
May 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM
:confused: tough one, I think Elena Baltacha has as good a chance of any as winning, she could easily :armed: shoot all the competition down if she is on fire :armed:
uhu....

Paneru
May 10th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Venus! :D

That injury heals and she picks up
where she left off!

RAA
May 10th, 2004, 06:26 PM
lindsday... I think...

(the way that the top five are getting injured.. I think that Hingis should take a wild card and try to complete her career GS!)

bandabou
May 10th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Usual suspects: Svetlana, Maria S, Karolina after Berlin,

Don´t see Lindsay winning RG...just doesn´t have the game and her results on red clay are lousy.

daniela86
May 10th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Svetlana:yeah: ;Nadia :D ; Karolina ::bounce: or Lindsay :bounce: !! :) :D :worship: ;)
Shrapova can reach the semis but I think a win is a little bit early for her!
I wish Vera to win but her mental is not strong enough for that!

Steffica Greles
May 10th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Dark horses for RG:

Patty Schnyder
Conchita Martinez
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Nadia Petrova

Farina Elia Fan
May 10th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Davenport & Myskina!

*JR*
May 10th, 2004, 09:03 PM
!!!Jen!!!

Almalyk
May 11th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Myskina will go from never passing the 2nd round to winning the whole bloody thing!!