PDA

View Full Version : Vera Douchevina

Gowza
May 10th, 2004, 04:21 AM
i'd like to call myself a fan but ive never seen her play so it's prob not right to say im a fan but i do follow her very closely. last year she got a wildcard into miami won a round and had justine at 0-3 at the start of their match in the 2nd round then she got whipped by her. i remember at AO a couple years ago when sveta k was up 3-0 against venus in the first set (round 1) by memory (doont hesitate to correct me if im incorrect) sveta at this time last year was still having to qualify for slams and other big events (im pretty sure she had to qualify for AO not sure bout RG tho). vera d has a lot of potential i dont want to compare them coz they are wrong but im using sveta as an example to show how quickly a player can suddenly become a good player. vera d is ranked around 95 and should get direct entry into RG. people prob havent seen much of her but what do you think of her game and potential? earlier in her career their were various tennis people saying she had more talent that vera z and sveta k and they have heaps of talent. i think she will become a good player, atm im not sure how good, she is inconsistent i think but she has talent.

what are your thoughts on her?

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 04:48 AM
I have her US open match against Harkleroad on tape. She played well but she was really nervous. If she hadn't been so nervous she might have won. And we all saw her play a very nice match against Venus at the Australian. Although she lost in straight sets she played very well and hung in with Venus from the baseline the whole match.

Gowza
May 10th, 2004, 05:01 AM
i only saw a couple of games of that match at the us open and didnt see any of the AO match against venus :sad:

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 05:08 AM
The AO match was pretty entertaining but Venus was too tough and experienced for Vera on the big points.

Venus Forever
May 10th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Not impressed by her at all.

Her serve is very much like Dementieva's and Hingis' with more spins.

Groundstrokes are average but consistent. She doesn't hit the ball that hard.

She's more of a thinker out there, but I don't think she's a Hingis-like thinker.

I'd say a top 50 game, definitely not top 20.

Rub
May 10th, 2004, 05:56 AM
i think she's good!

j_dementieva27
May 10th, 2004, 05:57 AM
she is good, and she can come up with some powerful forehands down the line, and some wicked backhand angles

ptkten
May 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I think she'll be top 50 by year end, just based on results and points she's gained so far. As far as her game goes, she's got solid groundstrokes, they can be really deceptive at times. Her serve is average, but I think if she works on that she'll be top 20 at some point in her career for sure.

kosmikgroove
May 10th, 2004, 07:19 AM
i really love her game, with the exception of her serve.

she has really great court feel and came come up with winners from both sides, from all corners of the court. she's a great power counter-puncher and uses her angles REALLY well. if she can add some power to her game and a bigger serve she could definately be top 20.

If she wants to break into the top 10, she needs to get her head on tight. With her matches that i watch, she always starts off well, but then it turns into a match of "who blinks first". especially when both players are holding serve.

Jackson.
May 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Go Vera :D

emptyhead
May 10th, 2004, 02:25 PM
She's one of my favorites, I don't care what her serves like, I don't follow players that are winning slams, what's the point, I don't feel better about myself just because some tennis player wins a competition.