PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else think that Justine will not win the French Open?

Eurotennisfan
May 10th, 2004, 02:39 AM
I have never considered her a player that can just "come-and-play". For me, always needs to get the bugs out of her game early on in any new surface season as her game is based more on touch and you don't get "touch" by practicing or laying in bed. This allows me to conclude that Justine has almost a non-existant chance of defending her title sadly. :sad: .

It does however look VERY GOOD for players like (a healthy) Venus, Amelie, Serena and Jenn-CAP.

Knizzle
May 10th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I don't think she will either, and it's NOT because of her illness or lack of match play. I think she would have lost there anyway.

tenn_ace
May 10th, 2004, 02:51 AM
I don't think she will either, and it's NOT because of her illness or lack of match play. I think she would have lost there anyway.
woulda.. shoulda... coulda... dream on. :rolleyes:

vs1
May 10th, 2004, 02:52 AM
This is tennis and anything can happen to anyone at anytime. It's very hard to say one way or another. Maybe JHH will get a favourable draw and make it to the SF pretty easily (could happen if she gets a bunch of WCs and non-clay players and get the weaker 9-12 and 5-8 ranked opponents). Maybe her draw will be tough as nails from the get-go. One never knows. BUT if she does show up, then I would not count her out. Anything can happen and she may very well get to hold that trophy up again! It all depends on the draw and how "hot" her opponent is on a given day. I've learned to say, "never say never."

Knizzle
May 10th, 2004, 02:53 AM
woulda.. shoulda... coulda... dream on. :rolleyes:
What, exactly, are you talking about??

darrinbaker00
May 10th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Personally, I don't think Justine has the game to literally roll out of bed and win a major, but as the #1 player in the world and defending Roland Garros champion, she has to be considered the woman to beat. ;)

udachi Elena
May 10th, 2004, 03:58 AM
I think it's between Venus and Justine... If both come healthy that could be one hell of a match... Venus has had a really good run on clay, i'm really impressed.

Greenout
May 10th, 2004, 04:17 AM
I for one think this year's RG will be very, very interesting because of
the set backs all the usual hard as nails contenders will be facing.
I also feel that there will be more heart and soul this year because
of all the minor setbacks everyone is going thru. The semi finalists will
have gotten to the very last days of RG 2004 on pure emotional determination,
guts, fighting spirt and may just end up winning the GS title on fumes. I
bet the winner will be soooo drained that they may not be able to get up
2 days later. :)

Justine and Serena are not 100% on match practice or form on clay.
Venus has a minor set back, Amelie is playing into form, Lindsay is up
for it but isn't a pure clay courter,Jen is trying to play info form
and the Russians will either dazzle or have very Pushkin like tragic matches.

sirius21
May 10th, 2004, 05:49 AM
is justine going? for sure? the big 4 would most probably not be there at full strength, but knowing them, they beat players even on their really bad days, so ... much as i hate to say this. if anyone of them turns up, they'd most prob take the title.

Je_ne_sais_quoi
May 10th, 2004, 05:59 AM
she's finished.

Martian KC
May 10th, 2004, 06:02 AM

:confused: :lol:

bandabou
May 10th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Never count justine out. even withot match-play there are still only few players who can beat her on clay and those all have their own problems...but this French Open is gonna be one of the most wide open in years.

Allez-H
May 10th, 2004, 06:16 AM
I guess we'll all just have to wait and see :angel: :devil: :angel:

bw2082
May 10th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Maybe Justine should just retire.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :haha: :haha: :haha:

Pureracket
May 10th, 2004, 06:23 AM
I guess we'll all just have to wait and see :angel: :devil: :angel:What time is it in Belgium?

bandabou
May 10th, 2004, 06:35 AM
8:34 a.m.

Allez-H
May 10th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Thanks Band :yeah:
Why do you want to know that Pureracket?

Allez-H
May 10th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Maybe Justine should just retire.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :haha: :haha: :haha:
I'm glad you had your fun moment of the day :yeah:

Pureracket
May 10th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks Band :yeah:
Why do you want to know that Pureracket?. . .. because you need to go to bed.;)

Allez-H
May 10th, 2004, 06:43 AM
. . .. because you need to go to bed.;)
Why I just slept all night????
Actually I have to go to school..Yep it's a beautiful mondaymorning,listeting to Kanye West great music but I have to go to that bloody school *sigh*
But I guess you have to work hard to become a lawyer cuz I ain't all that when it comes to playing tennis :p No Million dollars for me ;)

Pureracket
May 10th, 2004, 06:44 AM
OMG!!!!!!! Kanye just came on the radio.

Allez-H
May 10th, 2004, 06:45 AM
OMG!!!!!!! Kanye just came on the radio.
Ok you're scaring me now :scared:
This is just FREAKY :unsure:
But i have to leave now...Ciao,have a nice day :wavey:

tennisIlove09
May 10th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I don't see why she can't. Serena has a bad knee (although we'll see this week), Venus has a bad ankle, Mauresmo is a headcase in Paris, JHH owns Davenport as of late, Capriati is still struggling (and can she close out JHH? She couldn't in New York)...

if JHH is feeling better, I'd give her a great chance.

bandabou
May 10th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Have a nice day allez....lawyer huh?! You´re stealing my job away! ;)

tfannis
May 10th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Have a nice day allez....lawyer huh?! You´re stealing my job away! ;)
You're a lawyer????????? :eek: :o

tfannis
May 10th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Crap :rolleyes: How convinient she's been injured huh, that way it's easy to come up with this :bs:
Justine is the best claycourt player out there. She won the French when everybody was playing, why then would she lose anyway?

esquímaux
May 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Of course Justine will not win the FO...Justine Bourdon that is ;) :p

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM
I don't see why she can't. Serena has a bad knee (although we'll see this week), Venus has a bad ankle, Mauresmo is a headcase in Paris, JHH owns Davenport as of late, Capriati is still struggling (and can she close out JHH? She couldn't in New York)...

if JHH is feeling better, I'd give her a great chance.
I kinda agree, all the top contenders have issues. But I would be surprised if Justine won it, really after 4 weeks of no matches at all. I am just hoping she'll play, that will do it for me and we'll see where it goes :bounce:
With all the top players in some way not 100% we might even finally have a surprise winner for a slam again!!

bandabou
May 10th, 2004, 07:46 AM
You're a lawyer????????? :eek: :o

Nah.....that is my dream job but I had to chose another study.

dais
May 10th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Amelie will win in a walk. She's renewed her confidence, learned to relax under pressure and is ready to reach a new plateau. :kiss:

kiekeboe
May 10th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Let's see what is going to happen.
She would play only if she is at 100% ! :)

SerialKiller#69
May 10th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Yup. Me.

fleemke³
May 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Well everybody can lose in the round (f.e. Justine against Kapros :unsure:) but Justine learned from that case :D If she plays she'll be fit and you just can't count her out for the title! The difference between the top 5 and the other players is so big! Justine/Serena can get matchrythm during the first week and be in top shape in the second week. People who count Justine totally out for the title ... well imo they don't know anything about tennis :)

I'll hope she'll play ... and yes I hope she wins to :cool:

tfannis
May 10th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Nah.....that is my dream job but I had to chose another study.
Ah lol ok :wavey: I was just curious ;)

pigam
May 10th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I don't know.
It's true Justine isn't always the 'overwhelming type' (except in GS finals against KC :unsure: )
so I tend to think it could be really difficult for her to take this title without any matchplay on red clay.

Sure she's training, and she'll only play if she's a hundred percents, but I don't know ... it will be difficult.
I wouldn't 'count her out', but as a fan I don't dare to put my hopes on another GSvictory for Justine.
NOT because of the opposition, but because of the total lack of matchplay, ... :shrug:
I hope she proves me wrong ... :)

Lady
May 10th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Well, if she gets to semis or quarters, then by that time she should have enough match play, I think. She didn't play well in AO till the 2nd week anyway, but won.
But she'd not the favourite, and I'm happy bout that! :D

Chunchun
May 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM
You ae right, Justine will not win RG

saki
May 10th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Justine says she won't play unless her game is 100% as well as her health. So, if she does play, I think she's got a pretty good shot. I do think she'll be more liable to being upset early on (if she gets Patty/Molik/Suarez/any other talented lower ranked claycourter early on, I think she'll lose) but, if she gets herself to the SF stage, I think she's got as good a shot as Venus, Amelie and Serena. So, probably not the favourite, but not out of the running, either.

Kart
May 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM
LOL at the title of this thread.

I look forward to 'Does anyone else think that Serena will not win Wimbledon ?'

tennnisfannn
May 10th, 2004, 12:01 PM
The reality is we will not get any surprise winner in RG. I suspect it will one who has won a slam before. mainly Venus, Serena , Justine and I would favor Lindsay over Amelie.
Before this years Miami, everyone kept saying how wide open that tourny was, Venus was still struggling, serena hadn't played in 8 months and most of the top players were missing. Result, not very surprising. One would have expeted given the relatively weakened draw, players wo were in form like Svetlana or Nadia to win it but they didn't.
FO seems complex at the moment coz of nagging injuries which in itself brings the playng level to an almot even keel. So what if justine has been struggling healthwise, her opponents are also suspect. Even if Serena loses early in Rome, I doubt that will mean she isn't a contender.
A surprise semifinalist yes, but that is where the fairy tale ends. When the williams missed the USO, how open was that tourny, It was Justine an GS winner who took the title.
The titles this year (tier 2 and above) have gone to the same players, no maleevas, svetlana's, schynders, Petrova etc.
Justine 4
Kim 2
Venus 2
Lindsay 2
Amelie 1
Serena 1.
Myskina 1
The injuries have remained prevalent all year but it really hasn't changed the outcome. It only meant the higher seeds got to play one top tenner or none at all for the title.
Why should RG be any different. Except of course the huge possiblity of Jen winning RG. She has this knack of getting up once in a while to win a title and win big. Don't expect her to win many titles but she really does win it from time to time.
My pick for RG, venus, justine, Serena Jen and not in any order. They have equal chance.

SJW
May 10th, 2004, 12:02 PM
she has a great shot, "for sure", but i wouldn't put my money on her :)

Knizzle
May 10th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Crap :rolleyes: How convinient she's been injured huh, that way it's easy to come up with this :bs:
Justine is the best claycourt player out there. She won the French when everybody was playing, why then would she lose anyway?
No, I've said she wouldn't win it this year for the longest time. Had nothing to do with her recent illness. Why should I think Justine is going to defend in RG?? Just because she won it last year??

*Jool*
May 10th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I don't think she'll win
She can, but Serena or Amélie have more chances.
My favourites are :
1.Amélie
2.Serena
3.Venus
3.Justine
3.Lindsay
6.CONCHITA :hearts:
6.Svetlana

maccardel
May 10th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I think that Justine is going to draw monica in the first round and justine is gonna lose opening up monica's chances of reaching the semis. It is there that I am a little torn on who will pick up the top spot. I still say monica though.