PDA

View Full Version : Prospective RG Seedings

TheBoiledEgg
May 9th, 2004, 09:10 PM
forgetting SSR, who knows what the FFT have in mind.
no Clijsters, only definate seed not playing. Rubin is only other seeded player in doubt.
Points from Rome 2003 taken off and 18th added where applicable.

01-Justine Henin-Hardenne 6913.00
02-Amelie Mauresmo 3033.00
-----------------------------------------------
03-Lindsay Davenport 2996.00
04-Anastasia Myskina 2824.00
05-Nadia Petrova 2348.00
06-Venus Williams 2268.00
07-Elena Dementieva 2236.00
08-Serena Williams 2167.00
09-Jennifer Capriati 2166.00
10-Ai Sugiyama 1927.00
11-Chanda Rubin 1903.00
12-Vera Zvonareva 1839.00
13 Svetlana Kuznetsova 1838.00
14-Paola Suarez 1744.00
15-Silvia Farina Elia 1652.00
16-Patty Schnyder 1580.00
17-Maria Sharapova 1354.25
18-Francesca Schiavone 1338.00
19-Conchita Martinez 1299.00
20-Anna Smashnova 1287.00
21-Magdalena Maleeva 1255.00
22-Fabiola Zuluaga 1190.75
23-Jelena Dokic 1182.00
24-Karolina Sprem 1174.25
25-Eleni Daniilidou 1054.75
26-Elena Bovina 1036.00
27-Nathalie Dechy 1020.00
28-Lisa Raymond 0984.25
29-Petra Mandula 0963.00
30-Emilie Loit 0913.50
31-Mary Pierce 0904.00
32-Dinara Safina 0856.75

Next in
01-Maria Vento-Kabchi 0844.25
02-Tina Pisnik 0839.00
03-Amy Frazier 0837.75
04-Maria Sanchez Lorenzo 0822.00
05-Lina Krasnoroutskaya 0814.50
06-Meghann Shaughnessy 0805.00

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your wisdom once more Eggy :worship:

I hope Elena can make the quaters, but knowing her luck shes going to draw Sharapova in the third round :P

Venus Forever
May 9th, 2004, 09:14 PM
I have a feeling that the FTT will seed Serena and Venus 3 and 4, respectively. I doubt they would bump Mauresmo out of the second spot.

croat123
May 9th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Ajmo K-lina!! Make the QF or better at Rome and you are in the top16!

ghosts
May 9th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Go Maggs :D

~SunFlower~
May 9th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Eggy, did you take off Maria Sharapova's Sea Island points in the same week as Rome 2003? :angel:

TheBoiledEgg
May 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Eggy, did you take off Maria Sharapova's Sea Island points in the same week as Rome 2003? :angel:
yes taken those pts off cos Sea Island took place during Berlin week last yr ;)
pts were added on May 12 :angel:

PatM04
May 9th, 2004, 09:38 PM
I have a feeling that the FTT will seed Serena and Venus 3 and 4, respectively. I doubt they would bump Mauresmo out of the second spot.
Depending on how Serena does in Rome I don't think she should be seeded in front of Lindsay. Obviously Justine is going to get the number one seed because of her rank. Amelie assuredly deserves the number 2 seed given her results in her two clay court tournaments this year. After that I would say Venus. Next to Amelie, she has been the most dominant player this clay season. For the fourth seed I would say that Lindsay deserves it. I have nothing against Serena at all but I still say it should go to Lindsay. Aside from the match to Schnyder and her losses to Justine she has been the most dominant player all year long. Now, if Serena wins Rome in a dominant fashion I may change my opinion. Of course Lindsay is the favorite in Strasbourg but by then it won't matter because the seedings will have been decided. I guess what I am trying to say is the first 3 seeds should basically be decided already but the fourth seed should be between Lindsay and Serena based on Serena's week next week. Of course, given the history of these tournaments the both Venus and Serena will be seeded in the top 4.

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Will the French Open give Serena the Second Seed? putting her in FRONT of home-grown favorite Amelie?

BlinX
May 9th, 2004, 09:40 PM
wow venus ahead of serena for the first time in a long time!

~SunFlower~
May 9th, 2004, 09:45 PM
yes taken those pts off cos Sea Island took place during Berlin week last yr ;)
pts were added on May 12 :angel:

I know. :devil: I wanted to make sure that you didn't forget Maria's Sea Island points taking off tomorrow May 10.

Did you add the Berlin 2004 pts? :wavey:

TheBoiledEgg
May 9th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I know. :devil: I wanted to make sure that you didn't forget Maria's Sea Island points taking off tomorrow May 10.

Did you add the Berlin 2004 pts? :wavey:
yes all pts from Berlin been added :wavey: :kiss:

~SunFlower~
May 9th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Maria Sharapova is more likely having a chance to be seeded 16th or better if she plays well in Rome or at least one more player ranked higher than her withdraws.

Havok
May 9th, 2004, 09:52 PM
:woohoo: Pierce seeded. When was the last time she was seeded at a Slam?

~SunFlower~
May 9th, 2004, 09:55 PM
What injury does Rubin have? :sad:

~SunFlower~
May 9th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Thank you for your hard work on Prospective RG Seedings for us, Eggy. :hug:

Venus Forever
May 9th, 2004, 09:56 PM
They won't, because everyone will say they have rigged the draw by putting the Williams sisters on opposite side of the draw (3 and 4 are always on the opposite side).

I predict Serena will be number 2 and Venus won't be moved.
Yes, and I'm sure the French would rig the draw for Americans.

I highly doubt they care where the sisters lie, but they sure do care where Amelie is.

They don't seed Amelie behind either one of them.

Venus Forever
May 9th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Depending on how Serena does in Rome I don't think she should be seeded in front of Lindsay. Obviously Justine is going to get the number one seed because of her rank. Amelie assuredly deserves the number 2 seed given her results in her two clay court tournaments this year. After that I would say Venus. Next to Amelie, she has been the most dominant player this clay season. For the fourth seed I would say that Lindsay deserves it. I have nothing against Serena at all but I still say it should go to Lindsay. Aside from the match to Schnyder and her losses to Justine she has been the most dominant player all year long. Now, if Serena wins Rome in a dominant fashion I may change my opinion. Of course Lindsay is the favorite in Strasbourg but by then it won't matter because the seedings will have been decided. I guess what I am trying to say is the first 3 seeds should basically be decided already but the fourth seed should be between Lindsay and Serena based on Serena's week next week. Of course, given the history of these tournaments the both Venus and Serena will be seeded in the top 4.
If the fourth seed is between Serena and Lindsay, Serena should get it hands down. Afterall, Serena has proven herself on the red clay by winning Roland Garros, while we all know that Davenport tries to avoid it as much as she can, just like she is doing this year.

If they seed Davenport ahead of Serena, hell would have frozen over. One title on the clay this year is not going to influence them.

PatM04
May 9th, 2004, 10:06 PM
:woohoo: Pierce seeded. When was the last time she was seeded at a Slam?Aus open 01 where she was the number 7 seed.

PatM04
May 9th, 2004, 10:07 PM
If the fourth seed is between Serena and Lindsay, Serena should get it hands down. Afterall, Serena has proven herself on the red clay by winning Roland Garros, while we all know that Davenport tries to avoid it as much as she can, just like she is doing this year.

If they seed Davenport ahead of Serena, hell would have frozen over. One title on the clay this year is not going to influence them.
If they are going on wether or not you have proven yourself on the red clay in Paris they might as well give Majoli a seed.

Venus Forever
May 9th, 2004, 10:37 PM
If they are going on wether or not you have proven yourself on the red clay in Paris they might as well give Majoli a seed.
You obviously don't understand what I'm saying then.

First, Majoli is not in the main draw.

Second, Majoli, of course, would not be seeded because, well, she's ranked too low, and probably wouldn't be able to get out of the first round.

My question to you is, why should Lindsay be seeded higher than Serena?? Serena has won Rolanda Garros, Lindsay has not. Serena is considered the better clay court player, Lindsay is considered to be a player who is afraid of the red dirt. Serena's considered the better player in general. So, besides ranking, what has Lindsay done that she deserves to be seeded higher.

I know she is one of your top faves and all, but let's be realistic here. Serena's won Roland Garros, and another Tier I title on the red dirt, Lindsay's best is two Tier II titles.

PatM04
May 9th, 2004, 10:43 PM
I am just saying that based on this year Lindsay has shown that she can play well on Clay too. Overall she has had an awesome year with really only one bad match. I have nothing against Serena and if she does well in Rome then they should give it to her. My point is that the seedings shouldn't be based on past results from previous years but on current form and results. Granted Serena has been out for a while and hasn't been able to really prove herself in her comeback but just because she won here 2 years ago doesn't mean that all of the hard work and outstanding play that Lindsay has put in should be discounted. I know Serena in top form should be seeded higher but right now Lindsay has the better results and more consistent play, even if Serena has been out. Oh and the Majoli thing was sarcasm.

Venus Forever
May 9th, 2004, 11:14 PM
I am just saying that based on this year Lindsay has shown that she can play well on Clay too. Overall she has had an awesome year with really only one bad match. I have nothing against Serena and if she does well in Rome then they should give it to her. My point is that the seedings shouldn't be based on past results from previous years but on current form and results. Granted Serena has been out for a while and hasn't been able to really prove herself in her comeback but just because she won here 2 years ago doesn't mean that all of the hard work and outstanding play that Lindsay has put in should be discounted. I know Serena in top form should be seeded higher but right now Lindsay has the better results and more consistent play, even if Serena has been out. Oh and the Majoli thing was sarcasm.
But Lindsay's consistent year is only because she was able to play. So, basically you are saying they should punish Serena because she wasn't able to play.

Lindsay had ONE good tournament on the clay, only one. Even in that tournament, she was almost bounced out of it. The next tournament she played, the experienced clay courter in Schnyder destroyed her, for Davenport's standards.

Seeding should be based on BOTH the year's performance AND past results. Lindsay has had dreadful past results, and has really only played well in one tournament on the clay this year.

Serena has proven herself at Roland Garros in the past, but hasn't been able to really play on the clay this year due to injury, so we can't really base a conclusion as to what her form is.

controlfreak
May 9th, 2004, 11:28 PM
No disrespect, but when and how did Maria Vento-Kabchi come to be one spot away from a Grand Slam seeding? I always assumed she was still ranked around 70 or 80, I had no idea she'd got that high.

darrinbaker00
May 9th, 2004, 11:34 PM
They won't, because everyone will say they have rigged the draw by putting the Williams sisters on opposite side of the draw (3 and 4 are always on the opposite side).
And.....? ;)

SpikeyAidanm
May 9th, 2004, 11:52 PM
pff Alicia better have a good Rome :)

Buitenzorg
May 10th, 2004, 12:16 AM
My prediction are

01. Justine Henin-Hardenne (*)
02. Amelie Mauresmo
03. Serena Williams
04. Venus Williams (*)
05. Lindsay Davenport (*)
06. Anastasia Myskina
07. Nadia Petrova
08. Jennifer Capriati
NEXT to TOP 8 spot

09. Elena Dementieva
10. Ai Sugiyama
11. Vera Zvonareva
12. Svetlana Kuznetsova

Greenout
May 10th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Ok...My turn. I think that a dream all Gallic final is what the RG people want.
Remember...if WIMBLEDON can bump annually bump up Tim and Greg for
no reason, I can't see the organizers at the French Open dropping Amelie to
number 3.

My Seeding forecast..

1) Justine
2) Amelie
3) Serena or Venus
4) Davenport
5) Myskina
6) Serena or Venus
7) Petrova
8) Capriati

darrinbaker00
May 10th, 2004, 01:03 AM
Ok...My turn. I think that a dream all Gallic final is what the RG people want.
Remember...if WIMBLEDON can bump annually bump up Tim and Greg for
no reason, I can't see the organizers at the French Open dropping Amelie to
number 3.
I can, Greenout, for the following reasons:

1. Wimbledon is the only major that routinely deviates from the computer rankings, and they only do it for the men.

2. Under the Special Seeding Rule, only the current #1 can be seeded ahead of Serena, and that ain't Amelie.

If the French Tennis Federation honors the Special Seeding Rule, which they aren't obligated to to do, I think we're looking at a Justine-Serena-Amelie-Venus seeding order at the top, with the remaining seeds going according to the computer. ;)

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 01:07 AM
But Lindsay's consistent year is only because she was able to play. So, basically you are saying they should punish Serena because she wasn't able to play.

Lindsay had ONE good tournament on the clay, only one. Even in that tournament, she was almost bounced out of it. The next tournament she played, the experienced clay courter in Schnyder destroyed her, for Davenport's standards.

Seeding should be based on BOTH the year's performance AND past results. Lindsay has had dreadful past results, and has really only played well in one tournament on the clay this year.

Serena has proven herself at Roland Garros in the past, but hasn't been able to really play on the clay this year due to injury, so we can't really base a conclusion as to what her form is.
So punish Lindsay for Serena's inability to play this year while Lindsay has been one of the top 3 dominant players on tour?

Venus Forever
May 10th, 2004, 01:11 AM
So punish Lindsay for Serena's inability to play this year while Lindsay has been one of the top 3 dominant players on tour?
More like reward Serena for her spectacular and better results on the clay, and punish Lindsay for her inability to get anywhere on the dirt. ;)

~SunFlower~
May 10th, 2004, 01:58 AM
#1 vs. #25-32
#17-24 vs. #13-16
#9-12 vs. #17-24
#25-32 vs. #5-8

#3-4 vs. #25-32
#17-24 vs. #13-16
#9-12 vs. #17-24
#25-32 vs. #5-8
------------------------
#5-8 vs. #25-32
#17-24 vs. #9-12
#13-16 vs. #17-24
#25-32 vs. #3-4

#5-8 vs. #25-32
#17-24 vs. #9-12
#13-16 vs. #17-24
#25-32 vs. #2

Maria Sharapova is better off to stay #17-24 otherwise she would have to meet #1-4 in the 4th round if she is in #13-16. #13-16 really sucks. :fiery: #17-24 is in a better place of getting chance not to meet #1-4

tenn_ace
May 10th, 2004, 02:02 AM
hopefully both Sveta and Vera Z. are seeded in top 12.

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 02:15 AM
More like reward Serena for her spectacular and better results on the clay, and punish Lindsay for her inability to get anywhere on the dirt. ;)She beat one of the best clay courters in the world on clay last month for the second Tier II clay title of her career. And reached the semis of RG a few years ago. . You're right, thats not getting anywhere. More than most players have ever done. Maybe not more than Serena but right now...Lindsay deserves it, period, wether Serena has been around or not.

darrinbaker00
May 10th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Here are the new rankings:
http://www.wtatour.com/rankings/singles_numeric.asp

If the current rankings hold and the FFT doesn't honor the Special Seeding Rule, :worship: and :hearts: will be on opposite ends of the Roland Garros draw. In order for that to happen, however, the following must take place:

1. Serena much reach the semifinals.
2. Elena "Double Fault" Dementieva must lose before the quarterfinals.
3. Jennifer Capriati must lose at least one round before Serena does.

Serena's got an easy quarter (Maleeva in the third round, Kuznetsova or Sugiyama in the quarterfinals), so scenario #1 is covered. Dementieva's got Sharapova in the second round, so scenario #2 is looking pretty good. Serena and Jen are in the same half, so if they meet in the semis, Serena has to beat Jen for the ninth straight time. Of course, if the FFT does honor the Special Ranking Rule, it's all a moot point. ;)

Venus Forever
May 10th, 2004, 02:43 AM
She beat one of the best clay courters in the world on clay last month for the second Tier II clay title of her career. And reached the semis of RG a few years ago. . You're right, thats not getting anywhere. More than most players have ever done. Maybe not more than Serena but right now...Lindsay deserves it, period, wether Serena has been around or not.
If you honestly believe that Lindsay, who last got into the Quarterfinals of Roland Garros in 1999 deserves a higher seed than Serena who has been in at least the Quarterfinals the past three years (01' QF, 02' Champ, 03' SF), than ok. I just don't see it. Not to mention that Lindsay has only been to QF's or further in three of her NINE tries at Roland Garros.

Of course Lindsay was injured for three of those four years, so I guess you're giving her special treatment. ;)

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 03:02 AM
If you honestly believe that Lindsay, who last got into the Quarterfinals of Roland Garros in 1999 deserves a higher seed than Serena who has been in at least the Quarterfinals the past three years (01' QF, 02' Champ, 03' SF), than ok. I just don't see it. Not to mention that Lindsay has only been to QF's or further in three of her NINE tries at Roland Garros.

Of course Lindsay was injured for three of those four years, so I guess you're giving her special treatment. ;)Why do you keep going back to past results? Lindsay AND Serena are both much better clay courters than they were back then. Serena is obviously a better clay courter BUT Lindsay's results and play of later SHOULD put her ahead of Serena, even if Serena has been out.

darrinbaker00
May 10th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Why do you keep going back to past results? Lindsay AND Serena are both much better clay courters than they were back then. Serena is obviously a better clay courter BUT Lindsay's results and play of later SHOULD put her ahead of Serena, even if Serena has been out.
You admit that Serena's better on clay than Lindsay, but you say Lindsay deserves to be seeded ahead of Serena in a clay-court tournament. Please explain that to me, because I'm :confused: .

LindsayRocks89
May 10th, 2004, 03:33 AM
as of now, i would say Lindsay and Venus both deserve to be ahead of Serena, but will that happen, i'm not sure, i have this feeling Venus and Serena will both be ahead of Lindsay :o

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 03:41 AM
You admit that Serena's better on clay than Lindsay, but you say Lindsay deserves to be seeded ahead of Serena in a clay-court tournament. Please explain that to me, because I'm :confused: .My point is that although Serena is the better clay courter Lindsay has proven herself and Serena hasn't. If Serena does well in Rome then I would put Serena first but until then I say it goes to Lindsay. Lets just say that Lindsay had been out of the game for a the few weeks before Wimbledon. Lets also say that someone like Mauresmo (whos favorite surface is clay) wins 2 major grass court warm-up tournaments on top of playing great all year. Even though Lindsay is the better grass player would you agree that she should be seeded ahead of Amelie for Wimbledon even though Mauresmo has shown she can play on grass? That is the point I am trying to make.

darrinbaker00
May 10th, 2004, 04:01 AM
My point is that although Serena is the better clay courter Lindsay has proven herself and Serena hasn't.
Winning Roland Garros isn't proving yourself on clay? Now I'm REALLY :confused: .
Lets also say that someone like Mauresmo (whos favorite surface is clay) wins a major grass court warm-up tournament on top of playing great all year. Even though Lindsay is the better grass player would you agree that she should be seeded ahead of Amelie for Wimbledon even though Mauresmo has shown she can play on grass?
No, because winning a Wimbledon warmup and winning Wimbledon are two entirely different things. Case in point: Serena doesn't play at all between Roland Garros and Wimbledon, yet she's the two-time defending champion. Wimbledon is the measuring stick for grass, just like Roland Garros is the measuring stick for clay. Until Mauresmo actually wins the Big W, I consider Davenport the better player on grass and would seed her higher. ;)

PatM04
May 10th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Winning Roland Garros isn't proving yourself on clay? Now I'm REALLY :confused: .

No, because winning a Wimbledon warmup and winning Wimbledon are two entirely different things. Case in point: Serena doesn't play at all between Roland Garros and Wimbledon, yet she's the two-time defending champion. Wimbledon is the measuring stick for grass, just like Roland Garros is the measuring stick for clay. Until Mauresmo actually wins the Big W, I consider Davenport the better player on grass and would seed her higher. ;)
Referring to your first post I meant that Serena hasn't proven herself this year on clay while Lindsay has. OK well since the grass court season is so short don't use it. Use the summer hard-court season leading up to the US Open instead. If Amelie were to win 3 of those major tournaments while Lindsay comes back just in time (maybe a week before) for the open you would still seed Lindsay first on a for the open even though Mauresmo has shown that she can play wonderfully on hard courts as well? All for the sole purpose that Lindsay has played well on hard courts in the past?

Venus Forever
May 10th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Referring to your first post I meant that Serena hasn't proven herself this year on clay while Lindsay has. OK well since the grass court season is so short don't use it. Use the summer hard-court season leading up to the US Open instead. If Amelie were to win 3 of those major tournaments while Lindsay comes back just in time (maybe a week before) for the open you would still seed Lindsay first on a for the open even though Mauresmo has shown that she can play wonderfully on hard courts as well? All for the sole purpose that Lindsay has played well on hard courts in the past?
I would still seed Lindsay ahead of Mauresmo because Lindsay has been a champion before at the US Open, loves the hardcourts, and always does great on the hardcourts, and is very consistent, where as Mauresmo has only proven herself in those three tournaments while Lindsay has proven herself time and time again. But of course, this would only be if Lindsay was injured for a few months and had a special seeding because her ranking has dropped.

Chunchun
May 10th, 2004, 05:15 AM
LenaD :bounce: