PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo thinks she can "pretend" for the French title?

DannerCal
May 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM
This is a quote, but have a feeling either she did not know the right english word and wanted to say "contend", or they misquoted her:

"I'm playing pretty well and am one of about five players who can pretend to the title. I think the others are the Williams sisters if they are able to play, and Lindsay Davenport has been playing very well on clay in America. Svetlana Kuznetsova has been playing well too."

(Quote from Yahoo sports).

Note: Wonder why she would think Serena might not play? Guess she has also assumed that Justine won't play. Hmmmm.

Giuliano
May 9th, 2004, 07:13 PM
It's a gallicism. In French, the phrase is "prétendre au titre".

croat123
May 9th, 2004, 07:15 PM
to "pretend", at least in spanish, is the contend for or try to champion in

Havok
May 9th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Even if, its Amelie and will most likely not even show up during an important match:bigcry:

Mase
May 9th, 2004, 07:54 PM
She probably ment to say 'contend.' That would be my guess ;)

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Wow,seems like lot's of players don't really believe Justine and Serena will play or compete for the title.Wouldn't it be funny that they'll end up playing the final?

Lady
May 9th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I have a feeling they will, AJ! ;) :p

jenny161185
May 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I think Amelie has a good chance at RG if she can keep it together in her head

steffilover
May 9th, 2004, 09:34 PM
pretendre, in french, means to claim, or lay claim to, which is i'm sure the sense she meant...:)

Sonja
May 9th, 2004, 09:36 PM
I hope Amélie "pretends" she's playing a different tournament. I think that would be better for all Momosapiens. :lol:

harloo
May 9th, 2004, 09:40 PM
IMO Good Idea. Amelie needs to pretend that she is not playing a grand slam in her home country. Amelie's nerves are very bad when she has to deal with pressure. She is a talented player who can beat anyone on clay on any given day. However, if she doesn't get the nerves under control then she will never win a slam.

darrinbaker00
May 9th, 2004, 10:55 PM
If Momo "pretends" that all her opponents are Capriati, she could possibly win Roland Garros. POSSIBLY. ;)

Lapin
May 9th, 2004, 11:27 PM
I found this quote on French Yahoo http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/040509/5/3sf9w.html

"Je fais partie, disons, des cinq joueuses qui ont de vrais espoirs de victoire (à Roland-Garros)", a affirmé Mauresmo. "Le plaisir n'est pas le même quand on gagne de cette façon. Mais il ne s'agit pas seulement d'aujourd'hui, mais aussi de la façon dont on a joué toute la semaine."

Babelfished translation:
'I form part, say, of the five players who have true hopes of victory (in Roland-Garros)", Mauresmo affirmed. "The pleasure is not the same one when winning is this way. But it is not only a matter of today, but also the way in which one played the whole week.' (she's speaking of Berlin I guess here).

When I read this personally I assumed Amélie was probably referring to Venus, Serena, Justine, Lindsay and herself as being the five 'favourites' for Roland Garros. What's the link for the quote from Yahoo Sports? I had a look but didn't manage to find it :confused:

Also, L'Equipe has the same quote http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/20040509_131429Dev.html

'Ce parcours la place en favorite de Roland-Garros, surtout en l'absence des meilleures mondiales. La Belge Kim Clijsters a ainsi annoncé cette semaine son forfait pour les Internationaux de France en raison d'une blessure au poignet gauche et sa compatriote Justine Henin-Hardenne est encore très incertaine à cause d'un état de fatigue générale.

«Je suis l'une des favorites», admet Mauresmo. «Une des quelque cinq joueuses qui peuvent gagner. Bien sûr, j'ai la pression, mais je l'ai toujours et le fait que plusieurs joueuses soient blessées ne change rien.» «Il y a trois ans, se souvient-elle, je suis arrivée à Paris en me sentant super bien et j'ai été sortie au premier tour. Parfois c'est l'inverse, on se sent en forme moyenne et on fait un très bon tournoi.»'

Babelfished:
"I am one of the favorites", admits Mauresmo. "One of some five players who could win. Of course, I have pressure, but I always have, and the fact that several players are injured does not change anything." "Three years ago, she remembers, I arrived in Paris by feeling me super good and I lost in the first round. Sometimes it's the opposite, one feels in average form and one has a good tournament."

Linnie
May 9th, 2004, 11:56 PM
From her press conference:

Q: You said you were one of five favourites for the French Open. Who are the other four?

MAURESMO: Probably the Williams, if they are healthy. Justine, Lindsay – she is not coming to Europe before, but she has played some good tournaments on clay in the US.

Linnie
May 10th, 2004, 12:04 AM
I hope Amélie "pretends" she's playing a different tournament. I think that would be better for all Momosapiens. :lol::lol: but true ;)

If Momo "pretends" that all her opponents are Capriati, she could possibly win Roland Garros. POSSIBLY. ;):spit:

fammmmedspin
May 10th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Its old english too - the young pretender (and daddy old pretender) was someone who had a claim (or at least thought he did) to the British throne back in the 18C.