PDA

View Full Version : Serena and the French crowd...

SelesFan70
May 9th, 2004, 05:49 PM
I think it will be interesting to see how the Paris crowd reacts to Serena since they did boo her last year.

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM
I think this is an excellent point. Although she wasn't being booed by racists, it's just that she's like Hingis, and the crowd can't stand her

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 06:02 PM
But then comes the question: What did she do to deserve such a treatment?! She didnīt anything wrong that day.

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 06:05 PM
No she didn't. But many looked upon it as the little European beating the big strong American, I ended up cheering for her that day, and I can't have her at all now

SJW
May 9th, 2004, 06:13 PM
as long as Henin isn't involved, the crowd will be fine

harloo
May 9th, 2004, 06:21 PM
as long as Henin isn't involved, the crowd will be fine
:wavey: :worship:

I've come to the conclusion that the French crowd will do anything and everything in their power for either Amelie or H-H to win against an American. If Serena is to win the FO, she will have to deal with it. If she cannot handle it then tough luck.;)

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Thats what I always love about an American/British crowds their always partisan yet appreciative of the other player

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Too bad the Americans wonīt do that when it comes to Serena or Venus against Justine at the Open....would love to see the roles changed for once.

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Didn't they have a trial run at Indian Wells but it didn't catch on

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I love French Crowds. They make the sport so much more interesting. It makes it much more of a mental battle out there fore the player/s. I think that crowds should be allowed to make even more noise during points etc.

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I totally agree that crowds should be allowed to be more vocal it creates a better atmosphere. For instance when Dokic was playing last week , the crowd should have been allowed to shout at her something like 'Get off the court you waste of space' 'We want our money back, she's not trying' or when someone like Sharpova is playing I think the crowd should be allowed to shout 'Would you shut the fuck up yelling and squealing'

katrientje
May 9th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I predict they'll treat her with much more respect because those they must feel bad about how the crowd treated her last year
I am the biggest Justine fan but crowd made me feel bad about the whole match, it was the most disrespectful I've ever seen

saki
May 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM
The French crowds in general have only been against Serena when Amelie (and to a lesser extent, Justine) is her opponent and my guess is that that'll continue. I'm also not convinced that crowd support is as simple a thing as people here have made out - sometimes very vocal support can make the player supported collapse under pressure (Amelie at RG, for example!) and sometimes it can make the player not supported feel defiant and fight better. In the end, I think the best players can use the crowd for inspiration whether or not the crowd is cheering them. I think Steffi did this extremelyl well - for much of her career she wasn't the crowd favourite but she still played well and when she was the favourite (best example RG '99) she used the crowd to her advantage. So, in conclusion, I doubt Serena will face particularly hostile crowds (I think last year was made worse because she'd thrashed Amelie in the QF and then played another Francophone) and, in any case, I think she's someone who can handle whatever the situation throws at her.

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Donīt know....once rascist, always rascist....that just doesnīt go away.

katrientje
May 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Donīt know....once rascist, always rascist....that just doesnīt go away.
You can't call a whole crowd rascist
I have a feeling it has more to do with them pulling extremely for Justine and Momo.
I am not defending the behaviour, I just don't wanna believe it's about rascism

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Too bad the Americans wonīt do that when it comes to Serena or Venus against Justine at the Open....would love to see the roles changed for once.
It's not like the crowd was so respectful towards Justine while her semi against Jen.They cheered when she made DF,unforced errors,...That's the way sports goes...
Plus the Americans haven't been that great either.I remember last year French players (Grosjean,Escude,...)where booed at Miami just for being French.Shouting things like 'get out of their Frenchie'That's isn't really too respectful,and I'm thinking the French maybe had that in mind.They interviewed a couple of French before the matches that day,and they said that they defenitly won't cheer for SW because she's American and kinda giving the Americans thier own medicine.Cuz believe me there was talked about the American crowds behaviour in France and regions,don't forget the misplaced comment Serena made about the French at Miami too that year.
I'm not saying they're right but the Americans crowds weren't right back then either and neither was serena's comment.

*JR*
May 9th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Had ZereNA not done zee Faux French ackSENT last year, I think she'd have been spared le bashing of those ArroGANT AmeriCANZ. Why? Because of Le LegaCEE of Josephine Baker, zee Super Sultry black American AckTRESS who moved there in zee 1920's to essCAPE Jim Crow AmeriCUH.

(JB wasn't even a Lefty Like Paul Robeson, BTW). Seriously, they may even feel guilty about '03, and treat her like a queen. OMG, zees eez not zo good, sacre bleu. (Remember Marie Antoinette)! :eek:

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 07:44 PM
It's not like the crowd was so respectful towards Justine while her semi against Jen.They cheered when she made DF,unforced errors,...That's the way sports goes...
Plus the Americans haven't been that great either.I remember last year French players (Grosjean,Escude,...)where booed at Miami just for being French.Shouting things like 'get out of their Frenchie'That's isn't really too respectful,and I'm thinking the French maybe had that in mind.They interviewed a couple of French before the matches that day,and they said that they defenitly won't cheer for SW because she's American and kinda giving the Americans thier own medicine.Cuz believe me there was talked about the American crowds behaviour in France and regions,don't forget the misplaced comment Serena made about the French at Miami too that year.
I'm not saying they're right but the Americans crowds weren't right back then either and neither was serena's comment.

Tell me what Serena REALLY said that was offensive to the French. What, because she put up a French accent?! Please.....

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 07:46 PM
You can't call a whole crowd rascist
I have a feeling it has more to do with them pulling extremely for Justine and Momo.
I am not defending the behaviour, I just don't wanna believe it's about rascism

Tjaa....since seeing the crowd at the U.s.open pulling for Amelie over Venus in America....everything is possible.

Martian Willow
May 9th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Tell me what Serena REALLY said that was offensive to the French. What, because she put up a French accent?! Please.....

...come off it bandabou...what Serena said about the French was almost as bad as what Martina said about Venus... :)

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 07:54 PM
What did she say about the French?

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 07:56 PM
It comes down on one thing:she meant it dissrepectfully.She shouldn't have said it,certainly not it that period when the war was going on.The French did the right thing:no support for the Americans in their war against Irak.That comment was totaly missplaced just like the 'bombs over Irak' of Jen

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 07:57 PM
...come off it bandabou...what Serena said about the French was almost as bad as what Martina said about Venus... :)

I missed out on that one...enlighten me.

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 08:00 PM
It comes down on one thing:she meant it dissrepectfully.She shouldn't have said it,certainly not it that period when the war was going on.The French did the right thing:no support for the Americans in their war against Irak.That comment was totaly missplaced just like the 'bombs over Irak' of Jen

Aaah...I see. Yeah, the same way at IW it was because Venus withdrew...always an excuse I guess.

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Aaah...I see. Yeah, the same way at IW it was because Venus withdrew...always an excuse I guess.
What are you talking about :confused: What excuse?
It isn't an excuse it's the truth:American crowds (Miami) were very harsh on the French players last year for absolutly no reason and Serena made a misplaced comment end of story.Offcourse the French crowd wasn't right but neither were the Miamicrowd and/or Serena

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 08:09 PM
What are you talking about :confused: What excuse?
It isn't an excuse it's the truth:American crowds (Miami) were very harsh on the French players last year for absolutly no reason and Serena made a misplaced comment end of story.Offcourse the French crowd wasn't right but neither were the Miamicrowd and/or Serena

I agree...but would you be feeling the same even if it was the other way around?!

SJW
May 9th, 2004, 08:11 PM
actually, she didn't. she's a Jehovah's witness who doesn't believe in such things. i don't see the big deal...Serena copies accents all the time...the English, the Irish...she's done it in interviews and documentaries...

c'mon. i'm not sure how informed you are on the issue, but Serena supporting war? definately not.

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I agree...but would you be feeling the same even if it was the other way around?!
Again I defintly didn't support the crowdsbehaviour.And again Justine wasn't really very respected while her USO-semi and the rows of badcall she got,the overreacting from Jen on calls where she was wrong all the time (yet people diss Justine for lifting her indexfinger) but she stayed calm and cool and she demanded respect by the crowd just by her fightingspirit.
Again that's sports,sometimes they're on your side sometimes they're on the other side :shrug:

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Again I defintly didn't support the crowdsbehaviour.And again Justine wasn't really very respected while her USO-semi and the rows of badcall she got,the overreacting from Jen on calls where she was wrong all the time (yet people diss Justine for lifting her indexfinger) but she stayed calm and cool and she demanded respect by the crowd just by her fightingspirit.
Again that's sports,sometimes they're on your side sometimes they're on the other side :shrug:

aah....got it. Serena was a weakling.

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
aah....got it. Serena was a weakling.
I'm sorry i tried to explain it to you but since you only want to hear what you want to hear that I can't work with you

Have a nice day
Bye :wavey:

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry i tried to explain it to you but since you only want to hear what you want to hear that I can't work with you

Have a nice day
Bye :wavey:

I understood you pretty clearly....and itīs aight what you said. justine went through it once...but Serena has been through it a lot of times already. Thatīs the difference. They can hate you once, twice....but all the time?!

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Look I didnt predict the French crowd doing anything like that last year so who knows for this year. I mean Serena could have a really tough match against a (french) underdog and the crowd might really get behind them. Or there could be some old Roland Garros favorties (the French love past champions etc), like mary Pierce or Iva Majoli who draw her early on and might be able to give her some trouble, and if Serena starts to query line calls (which I know she hardly does but...) then I could see it happening again.

Still I think its wrong, the crowd shouldt get involved, its not like tennis is like football, we might as well start allowing derogatary chants to the players we dont like.

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 08:51 PM
I understood you pretty clearly....and itīs aight what you said. justine went through it once...but Serena has been through it a lot of times already. Thatīs the difference. They can hate you once, twice....but all the time?!
Yeah,I know she went trough that some other times I never said she didn't.
BTW:justine was booed at while her match against Razzano too cuz she questioned a linecall were she was right.They were all cheering for Virginie and clapping on Justines faults too.I'm not saying it was as bad as the semi last year,this was only a third round.But Justine isn't immune while her matches at the French.She probably get the crowd-support against most of the players but once she plays a French player,things could turn out allot different.Who knows,maybe Justine will meet Amelie at the French this year,and will go trough the same thing.
But you're right:I really feel sorry for Serena on that part.

flyingmachine
May 9th, 2004, 09:13 PM
I agree on what allezjju said. I think is depends who she's playing against. The inccidents such the French semi for Serena and US semi for Justine shows that if you play against the local fav you will expect some kind of booing from some sections of the crowds. Anyway despite bad crowd behaviour players have to overcome that. I know is not fair but that's life.

harloo
May 9th, 2004, 09:17 PM
:tape: You know that will never happen.

harloo
May 9th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Had ZereNA not done zee Faux French ackSENT last year, I think she'd have been spared le bashing of those ArroGANT AmeriCANZ. Why? Because of Le LegaCEE of Josephine Baker, zee Super Sultry black American AckTRESS who moved there in zee 1920's to essCAPE Jim Crow AmeriCUH.

(JB wasn't even a Lefty Like Paul Robeson, BTW). Seriously, they may even feel guilty about '03, and treat her like a queen. OMG, zees eez not zo good, sacre bleu. (Remember Marie Antoinette)! :eek:I disagree with her faux paus being the reasoning for the horrendous booing and jeering last year. I do feel it was alot of things going on with America and France concering the war and everything, but the French crowds are notorious for being rude and classless when their countryman or woman is involved. They wanted Amelie or H-H to take the title and they jeered Serena until she unraveled. It worked, but I bet you next time it will not.:)

Stamp Paid
May 9th, 2004, 09:24 PM
1.) Allezjuju, you said that the American crowd heckled Justine at the US Ooen SF against Jen last year. A few idiots in the audience did boo or make cat calls at a few points in the match. If you remember, the American crowd actually got angry at the ones who were booing and told them to "Shut Up" because they knew it would be wrong to treat Justine in that manner. (However, if the French crowd had booed Lindsay Davenport or Jennifer Capriati or any other American player other than the Williamses in that French Open SF against Justine, then I'm sure the American crowd would have gotten ugly in that US Open SF.)

2.) After Serena made her comments in her "faux French" accent, she actually AGREED with the French position against the war, saying that she was against it also. If anything, the French should have celebrated that she had the courage to side with them in a country that is growing increasingly Anti-French.

3.) Political Commentators in the US were using the FO SF incident as proof of French people being anti-American, further feuling animosity between the two nations.

4.) When the French players got booed in Miami, (Emelie Loit, Nicolas Escude) that had nothing to do with Serena. Plus, the booing against those players was minor, and American crowds never booed against big French players like Grosjean and Amelie.

The French Crowd was just rude and wrong.

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Yeah,I know she went trough that some other times I never said she didn't.
BTW:justine was booed at while her match against Razzano too cuz she questioned a linecall were she was right.They were all cheering for Virginie and clapping on Justines faults too.I'm not saying it was as bad as the semi last year,this was only a third round.But Justine isn't immune while her matches at the French.She probably get the crowd-support against most of the players but once she plays a French player,things could turn out allot different.Who knows,maybe Justine will meet Amelie at the French this year,and will go trough the same thing.
But you're right:I really feel sorry for Serena on that part.

Didnīt know about the Juju booing...but you put up some pretty good comments. Nice.

Ballbuster
May 9th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I have no respect for the French, as a people, in general. I consider them weakass Europeans, and for that matter most of the countries that boarder them does too.

They completely tore their panties with me last year. I could care less if Venus or Serena ever played in that funky country. They are a bunch of classless cowards.

flyingmachine
May 9th, 2004, 09:46 PM
1.) Allezjuju, you said that the American crowd heckled Justine at the US Ooen SF against Jen last year. A few idiots in the audience did boo or make cat calls at a few points in the match. If you remember, the American crowd actually got angry at the ones who were booing and told them to "Shut Up" because they knew it would be wrong to treat Justine in that manner. (However, if the French crowd had booed Lindsay Davenport or Jennifer Capriati or any other American player other than the Williamses in that French Open SF against Justine, then I'm sure the American crowd would have gotten ugly in that US Open SF.)

2.) After Serena made her comments in her "faux French" accent, she actually AGREED with the French position against the war, saying that she was against it also. If anything, the French should have celebrated that she had the courage to side with them in a country that is growing increasingly Anti-French.

3.) Political Commentators in the US were using the FO SF incident as proof of French people being anti-American, further feuling animosity between the two nations.

4.) When the French players got booed in Miami, (Emelie Loit, Nicolas Escude) that had nothing to do with Serena. Plus, the booing against those players was minor, and American crowds never booed against big French players like Grosjean and Amelie.

The French Crowd was just rude and wrong.

Wrong justinhosbey! I remembered when Momo playing in the US last year just after the start of the Iraq war she was booed very heavly by the American crowd because she's French! Yet no one including her was complained about it. She just played her tennis reguradless the crowd. If you think FO SF is a proof of French people are anti-American than you should go to the MIDDLE EAST! :( :fiery:

saki
May 9th, 2004, 10:07 PM
I have no respect for the French, as a people, in general. I consider them weakass Europeans, and for that matter most of the countries that boarder them does too.

They completely tore their panties with me last year. I could care less if Venus or Serena ever played in that funky country. They are a bunch of classless cowards.
Way to go! You really made the attempt to understand another country's views didn't you. Also classy was your dismissing an entire country because of one political decision you disagreed with. I could call the U.S. protectionist cowards for... ooooh... almost forgetting to join in WWII, but y'know I don't think that would be fair. Every country has, at some point, made a political decision I think is wrong but I don't insult them because it makes no sense.

mykarma
May 9th, 2004, 10:30 PM
As soon as Serena realized that her statement wasn't cute, she apologized, said she didn't mean any harm. That she was trying to be funny. She said she was sorry that she was disrespectful to any of the French fans. Her apology came before the French Open. time.

mykarma
May 9th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Look I didnt predict the French crowd doing anything like that last year so who knows for this year. I mean Serena could have a really tough match against a (french) underdog and the crowd might really get behind them. Or there could be some old Roland Garros favorties (the French love past champions etc), like mary Pierce or Iva Majoli who draw her early on and might be able to give her some trouble, and if Serena starts to query line calls (which I know she hardly does but...) then I could see it happening again.

Still I think its wrong, the crowd shouldt get involved, its not like tennis is like football, we might as well start allowing derogatary chants to the players we dont like.
If the French crowd treats Serena the same as last year without the official interference. Venus and Serena should never go back again, just like IW.

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 10:48 PM
As soon as Serena realized that her statement wasn't cute, she apologized, said she didn't mean any harm. That she was trying to be funny. She said she was sorry that she was disrespectful to any of the French fans. Her apology came before the French Open. time.

A fact many people forget...

LindsayRocks89
May 9th, 2004, 10:57 PM
A fact many people forget...

i've never heard about a statement Serena made?? what was it?

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 11:03 PM
should try harder.....Serena made a written statement where she apologized for her comments. Saying it was never her intention and stuff..right after Nasdaq...I think it was during Charleston.

saki
May 9th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Personally, I don't think Serena meant any harm - in fact, as others have said in this thread she was against the war. However, it is probably fair to say that her statements were part of why the crowd was against her simply because the media love to quote out of context and her apology just wasn't as good a news story as her intial comments. I think it's quite likely that some of the French fans didn't get the full story. That clearly isn't Serena's fault, but I do think that this stuff can't be dismissed as part of the reason she was booed.

prr_rrp
May 9th, 2004, 11:04 PM
She deserves every bit of what she got/gets in the future . Faking a french accent and saying " We like to make clothes not war " with a evil smirk on a face. What did she expect ? :rolleyes:

flyingmachine
May 9th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Way to go! You really made the attempt to understand another country's views didn't you. Also classy was your dismissing an entire country because of one political decision you disagreed with. I could call the U.S. protectionist cowards for... ooooh... almost forgetting to join in WWII, but y'know I don't think that would be fair. Every country has, at some point, made a political decision I think is wrong but I don't insult them because it makes no sense.
Good one Saki. :worship:

Black Mamba.
May 9th, 2004, 11:36 PM
I think the crowd won't matter this time. Serena and Venus are use to playing in hostile environments, and I truly believe if they expect the crowd to be rough they will adjust, ignore it, and perform. That is the type of attitude they are going to take, I mean when you don't get much love from the crowds when you play in most American tournements, you start to realize that the fans are rarelly going to cheer for you and you need to expect the worst and just perform.

SelesFan70
May 9th, 2004, 11:41 PM
After I posted the poll, I realized I left off an option...

The crowd will boo, but Serena wins anyways. :D

She's done it at Indian Wells, and I see no reason she can't again. She played on courts in Compton with bullets flying for goodness sake! I'm sure Serena won't let a stadium full of uppity, stuffy French bother her again . :worship:

Greenout
May 10th, 2004, 12:44 AM
They'll be really friendly until Serena plays any French speaker.

The crowd will want that all Gallic final featuring Justine and Amelie;
but if that happens, the crowd will be totally for Amelie as the
home country favorite and as the underdog.