PDA

View Full Version : 3 New Tournaments In Asia This fall!!

pcrtennis
May 9th, 2004, 05:46 PM
They are:

Tier III Bangalore, India :wavey:
Tier III Guangzhou, China :bounce:
Tier IV Seoul, South Korea :hearts:

Finally they start to add more touneys in Asia!!! WOOT! :bounce: :worship:

pcrtennis
May 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
It's better than having no tournaments, plus they're taking place of tournaments like Madrid who have been cut. Like Tokyo (Princess Cup) was last year. So over the last year or two the tournaments have stayed at the same number.

pcrtennis
May 9th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Well the way to make the season shorter is to not replace tournements which are cancelled.

I agree that it's better than nothing for Asia; however if tournements are too weak they might simply be cancelled like many were in the past.

I agree, but I don't think they can just cut out tournaments permanently at this point because of contracts and the financial situation. I do wish they wouldn't clump them all together, but Asia is a huge market that tennis has yet to really tap into. It's about time. :rolleyes: :D

PatM04
May 9th, 2004, 06:19 PM
A great place for tournaments and a great opportunity for players to get points:)

pcrtennis
May 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
A great place for tournaments and a great opportunity for players to get points:)

Exactly!

St.Sebastian
May 9th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I agree the draws will be VEEERY weak, with md cutoffs like 150 or worse. Anyway, a good chance for up-and-coming young girls to gain some points, money and experience :yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
May 9th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Well the way to make the season shorter is to not replace tournements which are cancelled.

I agree that it's better than nothing for Asia; however if tournements are too weak they might simply be cancelled like many were in the past.
the season isnt gonna be extended, they gonna take place during season

anyways these players that WILL play here wont be top 10 or top 15 in any case.
They are the ones that do need tourns and money.

Steveg
May 9th, 2004, 08:00 PM
According to the WTA schedule, Bangalore and Guangzhou acceptance is subject to to Fulfillment of Financial Requirements. Seoul acceptance is subject to Satisfactory Site Check.

Hopefully these will be only formalities.

TheBoiledEgg
May 9th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Tier III/IV and V are never sold on the big names in any case.

if only tourns were marketed on big names, then there wouldnt be any Tier III or below.

Most of these events are only broadcast by the home country if at all.

Also if the season was shortened, most of these players would be playing Challengers, which they do in any case.