PDA

View Full Version : Toughest shot to execute?

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 9th, 2004, 05:40 PM
What do you consider the toughest shot in tennis to execute?

xr6turbo
May 9th, 2004, 05:46 PM
A drive volley. Any ball which you take straight out of the air is always tough to execute.

!<blocparty>!
May 9th, 2004, 05:48 PM
A dropshot from a good first serve! Or a dipping half Volley.

CJ07
May 9th, 2004, 05:49 PM
for me probably an inside out backhand...oh and a half volley, hate those

!<blocparty>!
May 9th, 2004, 05:52 PM
A drive volley. Any ball which you take straight out of the air is always tough to execute.
yeah, there are hardest if they are really high, and the sun is in ur eyes! Oh, and if your behing the service line.:)

SelesFan70
May 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
For me it's usually any shot I'm not in position for :o

I'd have to say my 2-handed forehand drop shot (which usually drops on my side before the net... :lol: )

per4ever
May 9th, 2004, 06:01 PM
inside out backhand for me too...

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Onehandedbackhand down the line for me

bandabou
May 9th, 2004, 06:05 PM
the drive-volley, specially in a slam final or semi....ask Kim.

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 06:08 PM
I'm like many of the posters before me I don't play professionally or at all so how would I know anything about playing a difficult shot or dare to comment on it

Sonf@
May 9th, 2004, 06:10 PM
for me the inside-out forehand

Vass22
May 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
if it was men's tennis I would have said diving volley. Hardly controllable. try doing a slice diving volley, or a drive ;).

And I'm still saying a diving volley.

*hingis_forever*
May 9th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I'm like many of the posters before me I don't play professionally or at all so how would I know anything about playing a difficult shot or dare to comment on it
Doesn't mean none of us play tennis! :rolleyes:

Bezz
May 9th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Probably a decent drop volley, yu have to control all the pace and make sure your opponent cannot get to it. I dont think a drive volley is that hard, cos ppl only really get to hit them when thier opponent hits a high weak reply.

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 06:24 PM
wtafan_7, being British your comment should have read - Doesn't mean none of us play tennis! Badly

Foot_Fault
May 9th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Inside out Backhand is so easy for me, Just like the Inside out forehand...you feet positioning is the most important thing in those two shots. My hardest shot to hit is the high looper to my backhand...i never can generate the power i want to. Some tell me Catch it on the rise..before the bounce get out of control...well it still kicks on me, so i usually end up looping it back on that wing.

faste5683
May 9th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Probably a decent drop volley, yu have to control all the pace and make sure your opponent cannot get to it. I dont think a drive volley is that hard, cos ppl only really get to hit them when thier opponent hits a high weak reply.

I agree. Also, trying to half-volly off a well hit ball fairly close to the net is always difficult.

:wavey:

j_dementieva27
May 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM
for me, its the simple chip on the forehand side when you are on the run and trying to get the ball back... backhand, im fine... but on the forehand, the ball goes all crazy high

AgassiGirl16
May 9th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I hate inside out and high looping backhands. I love hitting inside out forehands...

A question...my backhand is my weakest shot, but my one handed slice is really good. I use it more then I use my two handed backhand. I was thinking of changing to a one handed backhand all the time. Has anyone here done that? I don't exactly know how to begin..

morbidangle
May 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM
The Backhand Smash for me!

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 07:40 PM
That's like my fav shot :cool:

Farina Elia Fan
May 9th, 2004, 07:40 PM
The slice forehand for me!

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Mine's the backhand drop shot. it usually goes to high.

crazillo
May 9th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Backhand smash.

@AgassiGirl16: I had the same problem but after two years of practicing a lot on my backhand it really improved! Its good now.

Bezz
May 9th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I hate inside out and high looping backhands. I love hitting inside out forehands...

A question...my backhand is my weakest shot, but my one handed slice is really good. I use it more then I use my two handed backhand. I was thinking of changing to a one handed backhand all the time. Has anyone here done that? I don't exactly know how to begin..
Yeah i do the same thing, i should hit a two-handed backhand all the time but in a match i feel more comfortable with the slice at crucial points, I did try going to one-handed but i didnt feel like i had as much control, and missed loads of shots lol, i wud just practice with your two-handed one it will come together eventually

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
I find my serve hard to do. I dont know I just cant seemt o hit it with a lot of speed, and just cant co-ordinate myself right. But its getting better, but I seem to have compramised a lot of other thigns in my game to try and improve.

I just cant hit forehands down the line unless I go into out on them LOL. I much prefer to go crosscourt.

I hate hitting backhand slices as well. I cant do it with the double hander a la Sprem and Kournikova, ive tried a single handed slice, but I only seem to pull those off when Im pressured in a rally to come up with them, I cant execture a premeditated one.

Pamela Shriver
May 9th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Toughest shot to execute?
If you are me - all of them.

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 08:59 PM
If you are me - all of them.
Pam come on now, you were really good at the 'lets make Martina my partner and let her do all the hard work' shot. I think you are the only one who truly mastered that skill. Kournikova was rumoured to have browed that shot from you till she won a title with Janet Lee and proved herself as a douybles player.

Pamela Shriver
May 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Pam come on now, you were really good at the 'lets make Martina my partner and let her do all the hard work' shot. I think you are the only one who truly mastered that skill. Kournikova was rumoured to have browed that shot from you till she won a title with Janet Lee and proved herself as a douybles player.
Mmm actually, I was impressed Anna managed a win with Janet Lee. Winning a tourny with an 80+ year old hitchcock actress is pretty good. Wonder who was the real psycho on court.....

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 09:09 PM
I hate the over-head off a good lob. The timing of that is often so hard. You also have to deal with wind, sun and the spin of the ball.

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Mmm actually, I was impressed Anna managed a win with Janet Lee. Winning a tourny with an 80+ year old hitchcock actress is pretty good. Wonder who was the real psycho on court.....
I heard they had to wheel on Jamie Lee for the final set, thats the only way they won the title.

jenny161185
May 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Inside out Forehand for me :(

Pamela Shriver
May 9th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I heard they had to wheel on Jamie Lee for the final set, thats the only way they won the title.
Yep. Although the fact they were playing Holly Hunter dressed as Billie Jean helped.

William Hunt
May 9th, 2004, 09:55 PM
The Drive-Volley

!<blocparty>!
May 9th, 2004, 10:00 PM
LOL @ Pam and Dava!
Pam, you wernt that bad.

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Yep. Although the fact they were playing Holly Hunter dressed as Billie Jean helped.
Yes, though it doesnt beat the time Geogre dressed up as you in drag and took to the court. It beat the acting skills he showed in On Her Majestys secret service.

spencercarlos
May 9th, 2004, 10:02 PM
It`s indeed the hardest shot

*hingis_forever*
May 9th, 2004, 10:05 PM
wtafan_7, being British your comment should have read - Doesn't mean none of us play tennis! Badly
Oh, you're funny now aren't you? :rolleyes:

bw2082
May 9th, 2004, 10:10 PM
one handed inside out backhand looks tough

Jakeev
May 9th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I agree about the backhand smash. It's most often used in doubles and in singles, its more of a defensive move that turns to an agressive shot if executed correctly.

I have not seen many players in singles execute it well all the time. Serena and Venus, Martina N. and Hana Mandlikova all are and where good at it consistently.

crazillo
May 9th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Jana Novotna was great at it!

henryj2001
May 9th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Mine: Backhand smash!

Any very good tennis player will say the backhand smash because it is the hardest shot to hit in tennis.

Am playing on the USTA Pro Circuit next year :D Cant Wait :D

Jippo McScally
May 9th, 2004, 10:22 PM
For me it's a smash! It's just soooo annoying! Everytime I hit it, it hit's the top of the tape :sad:

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 10:24 PM
For me it's a smash! It's just soooo annoying! Everytime I hit it, it hit's the top of the tape :sad:
Yeah I either hit mine in the net or miles out of court. Ive even hit one smash into the roof one time (i think it wa while I was playing in Wrexham:sad: )

Pamela Shriver
May 9th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Yes, though it doesnt beat the time Geogre dressed up as you in drag and took to the court. It beat the acting skills he showed in On Her Majestys secret service.
Thats not very difficult though is it.......

....and nothing compares to when George and I played Cliff Richard & Sue Barker in mixed dubs. You could hear the clicks of all our hip replacements echoing around court.

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Thats not very difficult though is it.......

....and nothing compares to when George and I played Cliff Richard & Sue Barker in mixed dubs. You could hear the clicks of all our hip replacements echoing around court.
Yes and the fact Cliff and Sue beat you guys 6-0 6-0 was what made it even worse Im so sorry about that.

billie_jean_king
May 9th, 2004, 10:30 PM
I often find any double hander is difficult because I cannot quite co-ordinate myself around my ever-so-tight stomach.

Pamela Shriver
May 9th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Yes and the fact Cliff and Sue beat you guys 6-0 6-0 was what made it even worse Im so sorry about that.
Not quite as bad as the double bagelling to Ann Jones, who is actually only mobile on a motorised scooter these days.

Xavier_Malisse
May 9th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I find I have more difficulty with my timing. Sometimes I'm too early. Other times, not at all.

Pamela Shriver
May 9th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I often find any double hander is difficult because I cannot quite co-ordinate myself around my ever-so-tight stomach.
Can you even pick up a racquet?

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Not quite as bad as the double bagelling to Ann Jones, who is actually only mobile on a motorised scooter these days.
The seniors tour aint waht it used to be. You and Navvy ever meet up to recall the old days. Or is she still to busy ACTUALLY BEING ON TOUR to see you.

crazillo
May 9th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I answered u in the racket thread.. This Yionex one u want is great.

AngelaLansbury
May 9th, 2004, 10:38 PM
I believe the toughest shot to execute is the one in the dark, from the summer house, when trying to get the ex-wife who has since told people you died and has created a life for herself all over again with the charming, if slightly dumb, newspaper editor.

What makes this shot really tricky is that not only is it in the dark, but there are so often many people in the mansion that to get the one person you want is precarious at best.

controlfreak
May 9th, 2004, 11:37 PM
A winner.

(I'm not even joking!)

Stefwhit
May 10th, 2004, 12:48 AM
For me it's definitely coming over on my backhand. I can either slice it on the backhand side or hit it with two hands, but I can't come over on the ball for the life of me (one handed backhand). I really wish I had that shot, but I just can't get it...

"Topaz"
May 10th, 2004, 01:18 AM
A successful top spin lob off a decent approach shot.
Low drop shots anywhere from baseline to midcourt.

These two are low (very low) percentage shots for me. I am in awe when I see them executed to perfection by Hingis and specially Justine off the backhand; I should add Federer to that list as well as a few other male players.

¤CharlDa¤
May 10th, 2004, 02:08 AM
The drop shot, the lob, and the forehand drive volley *i have no problem with the backhand*

I have a lot of difficulty hitting some high forehands cause i never one to hit another loopy one, i try to continue to hit hard, but i usually go down to much and net it...

MisterQ
May 10th, 2004, 03:14 AM
I agree with those who said the backhand overhead. tough shot to get any pace on, and an awkward position.

vettipooh
May 10th, 2004, 05:22 AM
I'm still having trouble with a whole lot of shots,especially the inside out backhand,and drop shots...forehand or backhand.I find those two really difficult.My serve is pretty good though!!

Brαm
May 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM
the drive-volley, specially in a slam final or semi....ask Kim.

:devil:

SpikeyAidanm
May 10th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I personally find drop-shots a matter of feel, the Backhand smash is just in me, I guess it's the hand eye co-ordination...

What really is more difficult to execute on a consistent and successful basis; is hitting a down the line winner (backhand is even harder) - (that's why I go cross court unless I'm with no chance to get back in the rally) when you are out off court, with the wind and higher net, it's either a winner or most of the time - a close/far miss.

cyberix
May 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM
The between the leg shot. After I hit it I require two aspirins.

katrientje
May 10th, 2004, 10:27 AM
For me its the forehand down the line, my forehand sucks :-(

Shuji Shuriken
May 10th, 2004, 11:37 AM
I personally find drop-shots a matter of feel, the Backhand smash is just in me, I guess it's the hand eye co-ordination...

What really is more difficult to execute on a consistent and successful basis; is hitting a down the line winner (backhand is even harder) - (that's why I go cross court unless I'm with no chance to get back in the rally) when you are out off court, with the wind and higher net, it's either a winner or most of the time - a close/far miss.
The back hand down the line shot is for me one of the simplest, and yesterday I had 5 winners off of that shot, and many forced error. I think it's just a matter of practice. I had a sucky backhand...so I went out with my friends for about two hours everyday (skipping classes and everything) until my backhand is the best. I still have it tough going cross-court for a winner on bad days, but even on my worse day I can make that DTL shot :). I love it.

For me the worse shot to execute is the serve and overheads :(. They suck :sad:.

twight6
May 10th, 2004, 11:44 AM
i may sound like an idiot but i am just getting good...
for me the toughest shot is a spin one :sad: any tips :sad: no matter how hard i try i can never put spin on the ball and hit it in, that is very sad... any pointers?

esquímaux
May 10th, 2004, 11:59 AM
The back hand down the line shot is for me one of the simplest, and yesterday I had 5 winners off of that shot, and many forced error. I think it's just a matter of practice. I had a sucky backhand...so I went out with my friends for about two hours everyday (skipping classes and everything) until my backhand is the best. I still have it tough going cross-court for a winner on bad days, but even on my worse day I can make that DTL shot :). I love it.

For me the worse shot to execute is the serve and overheads :(. They suck :sad:.
Ho' down is that you :eek: :tape: :kiss:

Vincent
May 10th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I think Second serve is difficult for me really. ;)

Shuji Shuriken
May 10th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Ho' down is that you :eek: :tape: :kiss:
Hey babe :kiss: :lick: :kiss:...in the flesh :lol:. How you doin' :kiss:?

azza
May 10th, 2004, 01:00 PM
the Lob under extreem presure :o

skanky~skanketta
May 10th, 2004, 03:37 PM
i cant hit the backhand overhead to save my life.

and i have trouble serving down the middle. *embarrassed*