PDA

View Full Version : Injuries, why so many?

TSequoia01
May 9th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I believe the rash of injuries we are witnessing in the last few years is due to the all out tennis now being played. Players donot play at a 90% level anymore physically, it is go all out on every point. The physical level of women's tennis has never been higher and there is enormous pressure to be quicker, hit harder, and run faster for longer periods. Consequently, it stands to reason that sometimes their body physical stress limits will be exceeded or a mistep will occur. Just a thought. :cool:

K-Dog
May 9th, 2004, 02:03 PM
It's been a lot of bad luck. Go back to 2002. Kim was injured for most of the first 1/2 of the the year with her shoulder, Davenport was recovering until July, Martina Hingis had to end her career this year due to her foot. In 2003 Venus injured her stomach muscle badly, Amelie with her ribs right before Wimbledon, Lindsay injured her toe badly, Serena had to have surgery on her knee, Chanda couldn't defend her Los Angeles title due to injury, Monica was never healthy except for her 1st round match at the Oz, Jennifer hurt her back terribly at the end of the year. Now this year with Amelie and her back, Serena and her re-aggrevated knee, Venus will her ankle, Justine with glandular fever, Kim with the rist, and Jennifer with her back again. All of the elite players have had injuries this year. I never would've guessed that 2001 was the last really good year on tour!!

JennyS
May 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
There are so many reasons why the players are injured:

1. The level of play is so high now with so many balls coming back that normally wouldn't. The power game has also added to injuries.
2. Lack of recovery time. There is lack of recovery time during one-week tournaments (with players often playing 4-5 days in a row) and lack of recovery time period.
3. The season is long and there is a lot of fatigue because of all the cross continental travel
4. There's no bench. Since it's an individual sport, a player can't play half the match.
5. Some players play too many events
6. Some players play too many events in a row
7. I think all the surface changes are tough too. It's hard to go from clay to grass so quickly without a break. That's why it would be nice to see a couple more weeks between the French and Wimbledon
8. Some players play too many matches between singles and doubles
9. Some players play exhibitions in the off-season which IMO is a bad idea. They complain that the season is too long, so they should use the off-season to rest!
10. The players might overtrain in the gym and on the court
11. The WTA is cursed!!!!

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons too.

TSequoia01
May 9th, 2004, 07:54 PM
There are so many reasons why the players are injured:

1. The level of play is so high now with so many balls coming back that normally wouldn't. The power game has also added to injuries.
2. Lack of recovery time. There is lack of recovery time during one-week tournaments (with players often playing 4-5 days in a row) and lack of recovery time period.
3. The season is long and there is a lot of fatigue because of all the cross continental travel
4. There's no bench. Since it's an individual sport, a player can't play half the match.
5. Some players play too many events
6. Some players play too many events in a row
7. I think all the surface changes are tough too. It's hard to go from clay to grass so quickly without a break. That's why it would be nice to see a couple more weeks between the French and Wimbledon
8. Some players play too many matches between singles and doubles
9. Some players play exhibitions in the off-season which IMO is a bad idea. They complain that the season is too long, so they should use the off-season to rest!
10. The players might overtrain in the gym and on the court
11. The WTA is cursed!!!!

I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons too.
I think maybe in the case of the Sisters they may play too little. The top players seem to have injuries more than the lower ranked. Is it because they go deeper in the tournies Or their matches rise to a higher level? A higher level match with more money on the line could motivate some to try and do things the body was not designed to do. I wonder sometimes if anyone keeps track of when and where injuries occur and on what surfaces. :cool: