Venus withdrew from the final in Berlin :sad:

...I was just on the way to see it live

hope it's not too bad, they say it's a sprained ankle

Duffsgirl
May 9th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Good decision Vee, get some rest girl!

MLF
May 9th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Too bad for the fans but Venus was right to learn from the lessons from Warsaw last year not to risk her year for one match.

flyingmachine
May 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM
:eek: Danm!
It seems she has been very prove to injury since she come back.

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Yes, I hope that VENUS is better in time for the FO as well.

DelMonte
May 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM
at the end of the day, it is the right decision. it would have been completely irresponsible for venus to play and risk aggravating the injury. it's bad enough that kim clijsters is missing the FO and justine henin is in doubt. i don't want to see venus on that list.

congrats on the win, amelie.

galadriel
May 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Get well soon Venus :kiss:

LLAGOS-VIVES_FAN
May 9th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Venus :( You can win even lame Amelie

Sportfan
May 9th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Smart choice on her part hopefully she will come back strong for the french Open.

switz
May 9th, 2004, 10:48 AM
poor venus, but i have to say poor german tennis. it's already struggling massively and won't even get a final in its biggest tournament

akosijepoy
May 9th, 2004, 10:53 AM
good decision...rest up...hope it if fully healed by the FO...good luck!!!

DunkMachine
May 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Sux for sprem, she should be able to play the final

servenrichie
at the end of the day, it is the right decision. it would have been completely irresponsible for venus to play and risk aggravating the injury. it's bad enough that kim clijsters is missing the FO and justine henin is in doubt. i don't want to see venus on that list.

congrats on the win, amelie.My sentiments exactly! Congrats Amelie

Greenout
Nooo. Really? How weird? I guess all this injury talk has everyone
walking on egg shells now.

Paneru
May 9th, 2004, 10:55 AM

congrats on the win, amelie.
Yep! :cool:

~ The Leopard ~
May 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Damn. This is tough on both girls.

Andy T
May 9th, 2004, 10:59 AM
The tour this year is crap: injury upon injury upon injury and practically no match-ups whatsoever between the top players. This must be the worst year in WTA history.

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 11:00 AM
It's the smartest decision she could take.Hope she'll be aight for the French

akosijepoy
from the german open website

Exhibition match instead of final - Doubles final will be a thriller

For the first time in the history of the Ladies German Open, the final between Amelie Mauresmo and Venus Williams has had to be called-off. Venus suffered a pulled ligament in her foot shortly before the end of her match against the young, 19 year-old Croatian, Karolina Sprem. Despite intensive treatment last night, Venus is not in a position to play the final today. Instead of the planned final at 13:30 hours on the Centre Court, Amelie Mauresmo will be declared the champion of this year's Ladies German Open during an award ceremony. For the fans, an exhibition match has been arranged between Amelie Mauresmo and Anastasi Myskina from Russia. The game will be played over two winning sets. If the result is 1 set each, a third tie-break set will decide the match. After this exhibition match, the doubles final will be fought-out between Nadia Petrowa/Meghan Shaughnessy and Janette Husarova/Conchita Martinez.

Berlin, 09.05.2004 - ww-

DelMonte
The German Open website says that that Amelie and Anastasia Myskina will play an exhibition match, so the fans will get to see some tennis after all. Props to Anastasia for doing this!

This from the BB website; source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3698097.stm

Injured Venus out of final

Venus Williams has pulled out of the German Open final after failing to recover from a twisted ankle.

The American was looking to extend her 15-match winning streak against Amelie Mauresmo and win her third successive tournament.

But, after sustaining the injury at the end of her semi-final win over Karolina Sprem, warned that she could miss out.

Mauresmo was handed the title and Williams could now face a race to be fit for the French Open.

Tennisfan-Mtl
May 9th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Amélie :D

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
May 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM
once again ms Venus handed Amelie the title, :worship: for ms Venus for not risking the injury...she was very motivated to play yesterday...and that means that she would probably VERY HUNGRY by the time FO comes :devil:

:angel:

Dymension
May 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Vee :sad: :sad: :sad:

esquímaux
May 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Whoa, Sprem really took a lot out of Vee!

Allez-H
May 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM
This FO is really getting very unpredictable,no-one of the topplayers are really sure:Serena:injured???,Venus:gotta rest and see how serious it really is,Justine:is defenitly on the better road and the trainingsession are going very well but no matchrythm,Jen:isn't injured but isn't on top of her game quite yet,Amelie:is healthy but how is going to handle the pressure again this year,Lindsay:how good of a redclayplayers is she really?,....

cynicole
May 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Venus + clay final vs. Mauresmo = injury

jonny84
May 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM
This may sound stupid but wouldn't be more fun if the rules were changed so that if someone withdraws from the draw - instead of a Walkover a Lucky Loser takes the place in the draw and has another stab at the title.

For example as Venus withdrew instead of Amelie getting the title than she would have to face a LL from the semis to win. I think it would be fairer that the person who lost the match to the person that then withdrew gets to go back in the draw. In this case, Karolina would get to play Amelie in the final.

sunnysideup
May 9th, 2004, 11:14 AM
She's afraid of Amelie.:p

1jackson2001
May 9th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Too bad, but it's good in the end. :)

jonny84
May 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
This FO is really getting very unpredictable,no-one of the topplayers are really sure:Serena:injured???,Venus:gotta rest and see how serious it really is,Justine:is defenitly on the better road and the trainingsession are going very well but no matchrythm,Jen:isn't injured but isn't on top of her game quite yet,Amelie:is healthy but how is going to handle the pressure again this year,Lindsay:how good of a redclayplayers is she really?,....

Would be so good if an obscure player wins this year due to injuries; maybe someone like Loit could pull it off and surprise the whole world; or maybe Jankovic or Sucha - these are excellent clay-court players and there is always that chance. Serena is playing in Rome so she is fit - just hope she doesn't withdraw before the tournament starts

Paneru
May 9th, 2004, 11:17 AM
She's afraid of Amelie.:p
H2H: 5/2(One ret., one walkover) ;)

Sonja
May 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Get well soon Venus!

Very good of Anastasia to agree to play exhibition so the crowd gets to see some tennis.

Congratulations Amélie on a well played tournament.

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 11:22 AM
This may sound stupid but wouldn't be more fun if the rules were changed so that if someone withdraws from the draw - instead of a Walkover a Lucky Loser takes the place in the draw and has another stab at the title.

For example as Venus withdrew instead of Amelie getting the title than she would have to face a LL from the semis to win (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=73,21246650,wtaworld.com,0). I think it would be fairer that the person who lost the match to the person that then withdrew gets to go back in the draw. In this case, Karolina would get to play Amelie in the final.
A good point, but the losers have usually been on an all-night drinking binge and are in no condition to play in the finals. :eek: :angel:

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 11:24 AM
H2H: 5/2(One ret., one walkover) ;)
Actually, it is 5-1. Amelie will not be credited with a win and Venus will not be credited with a loss.

Having said that, I am now concerned for Venus' ankle or foot (whichever is injured). I wonder if she will be ready for the French Open if there is some ligament damange?

switz
May 9th, 2004, 11:27 AM

For example as Venus withdrew instead of Amelie getting the title than she would have to face a LL from the semis to win. I think it would be fairer that the person who lost the match to the person that then withdrew gets to go back in the draw. In this case, Karolina would get to play Amelie in the final.

it's seems like the logical thing to do but then again it could easily be claimed that it's unfair for the person who is already in the final to have to prepare to play one player and then be told half an hour before the match that she is playing someone else - playing venus is slightly different to playing sprem.

and why should sprem necessarily be the player to go through to the final? why not the other semi-finalist? i think they actually have it right by not letting players being replaced after the 2nd round of a tournament because it just brings up too many possible arguments and complications. i mean imagine if molik went onto win the australian open this year by replacing amelie against zuluaga in the quarters. i just don't think it would work out as well as it does in theory.

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2004, 11:29 AM
After watching that nasty twist over and over, I'm actually relieved / happy that she she withdrew. :bounce: Of course I feel :sad: for the ticket holders, but at this point Venus's health is top priority... Go rest up for the French Miss Vee :kiss: :hearts: :worship:

hingis-seles
May 9th, 2004, 11:29 AM
The tour this year is crap: injury upon injury upon injury and practically no match-ups whatsoever between the top players. This must be the worst year in WTA history.
So true. These last couple (2002-2004) of years have produced low-quality tennis and no match-ups.

The WTA sucks, atm.

gmak
May 9th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Well i think it was expected... bad luck for karolina as well :sad:

With all the injuries around the Williams, Henin with no match-practice and Kim sadly absent, it could be Amelie's biggest chance at a slam in Paris now, and even Lindsay has a chance to complete her Slam collection if she is in the same form she was in Amelia Island!

Freewoman33
Congrats to Amelie.

Venus, I love you for not succumbing to the pressure and playing injured. I'm so damn proud of you. You did the absolute right thing.

Paneru
Actually, it is 5-1. Amelie will not be credited with a win and Venus will not be credited with a loss.

Having said that, I am now concerned for Venus' ankle or foot (whichever is injured). I wonder if she will be ready for the French Open if there is some ligament damange?

Thanks for the info! :cool:

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info! :cool:
You're welcome.

Had Venus taken the court and attempted to play, then she would have been credited wit a loss if she was losing at the time she pulled out.

I just hope her ankle injury isn't that serious because I want her to play the French Open, but her health comes first.

Bероника
May 9th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Oh no,I don't like at all Momo winning the title this way.But Venus has been wise,better be careful and be ok for RG.Get well soon,Venus and congrats Momo!!!

steffilover
May 9th, 2004, 11:43 AM
...and a williams sister withdraws from yet ANOTHER match. think of how often this has happened throughout their careers and compare it to the likes of evert/navratilova/sanchez/graf - it really says a LOT about the williams sisters.:(

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Oh no,I don't like at all Momo winning the title this way.But Venus has been wise,better be careful and be ok for RG.Get well soon,Venus and congrats Momo!!!
Of the three titles she was won since 2003, this is the second she has won because the other player withdrew/retired.

It might be funny to some people, but I won't see her as a top contender for the French Open title umtil I see what she does in Rome. My top two pics are still Justine and Venus.

Pureracket
May 9th, 2004, 11:45 AM
...and a williams sister withdraws from yet ANOTHER match. think of how often this has happened throughout their careers and compare it to the likes of evert/navratilova/sanchez/graf - it really says a LOT about the williams sisters.:(Idiot. . .. lol. You don't know what you're talking about. Check the stats, and you'll be surprised to find out that you're wrong. I'm sure you're a nice idiot, though.:wavey:

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 11:46 AM
...and a williams sister withdraws from yet ANOTHER match. think of how often this has happened throughout their careers and compare it to the likes of evert/navratilova/sanchez/graf - it really says a LOT about the williams sisters.:(She could have played and risked further injury like she did last year and like Kim id dealing with now.:rolleyes: Chances are, Venus will play the French Open and Wimbledon and Kim may not be back until the start of the summer hardcoourt season because of her decision to play at less than 100%.

servenrichie
May 9th, 2004, 11:48 AM
She could have played and risked further injury like she did last year and like Kim id dealing with now.:rolleyes: Chances are, Venus will play the French Open and Wimbeldon and Kim may not be back until the start of the summer hardcoourt season because of her decision to play at less than 100%.That fool knows what you are saying. His main point is taking a diss at the Williams sisters:(

~ The Leopard ~
May 9th, 2004, 11:49 AM
A walkover does not go down as a loss; a retirement does. It's as simple as that. Venus is still on an impressive undefeated streak, though I bet that's not much consolation for having to forfeit the tournament-deciding match.

Well, get better Venus.

Meanwhile, this has been a great tournament for Amelie. :worship: Who would think that she'd annihilate JenCap like she did after losing to Schiavone last week? I just hope she can continue to play like that for the next few weeks and win in Rome and at Roland Garros. ;)

servenrichie
May 9th, 2004, 11:49 AM
...and a williams sister withdraws from yet ANOTHER match. think of how often this has happened throughout their careers and compare it to the likes of evert/navratilova/sanchez/graf - it really says a LOT about the williams sisters.:(Stupidity or ignorance is bliss. Go on with your chatter:o

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM
A walkover does not go down as a loss; a retirement does. It's as simple as that. Venus is still on an impressive undefeated streak, though I bet that's not much consolation for having to forfeit the tournament-deciding match.

Well, get better Venus.

Meanwhile, this has been a great tournament for Amelie. :worship: Who would think that she'd annihilate JenCap like she did after losing to Schiavone last week? I just hope she can continue to play like that for the next few weeks and win in Rome and at Roland Garros. ;)She was also lucky Schiavone withdrew with an injury because I think she was on Amelie's side of the draw.

~ The Leopard ~
May 9th, 2004, 11:53 AM
No use taking a shot at Momo, lizchris. She did everything asked of her, including beating a red-hot Kuznetsova and a seemingly in-form Capriati. It's not her fault if Venus was not able to show up for the final match. She won this title fair and square in the circumstances that confronted her.

Chance
May 9th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Good. I didn't want Vee to play. Now we'll have to see if Vee's ankle can recover, if it's serious then Venus should seriously consider skipping FO.

HEALTH is the no.1 PRIORITY!!!

akosijepoy
May 9th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Congrats Amelie!!

Get Well Soon Venus!!!

Foot_Fault
May 9th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Get well soon my baby!:sad:

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2004, 11:57 AM
...and a williams sister withdraws from yet ANOTHER match. think of how often this has happened throughout their careers and compare it to the likes of evert/navratilova/sanchez/graf - it really says a LOT about the williams sisters.:(

Go find your toys child :fiery: :rolleyes: :tape:

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 11:58 AM
No use taking a shot at Momo, lizchris. She did everything asked of her, including beating a red-hot Kuznetsova and a seemingly in-form Capriati. It's not her fault if Venus was not able to show up for the final match. She won this title fair and square in the circumstances that confronted her.I am not taking a shot at her, but when the French Open starts, the commentators will not give her ciredit for acutally winning the title. How do I know this? In 2002, Venus actually won seven titles, but every thime her number of titles won were mentioned, the commentators kept saying she only won six and the seventh was handed to her because her opponent (Jelena Dokic at the Paris Indoors) couldn't play the final. It wasn't Venus' fault either and she played great tennis at that tournament.

Andrew.
May 9th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I hope Venus is okay, this was a smart decision. But there is something very upsetting: The first article says that Venus withdrew with a pulled ligament. That's much more serious than a sprained or twisted ankle. Now you're heading over to Martina Hingis territory. Good luck Venus.

katrientje
May 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Just saw her in the berlin ceremony, she has to use crutches (is that the right word??)
Poor Vee :-(

~ The Leopard ~
Well, as far as I'm concerned Venus won the 2002 Paris Indoor fair and square. She won a great match against an in-form Momo and it was not her fault that Jelena could not play the final. The same applies.

Andrew.
Just saw her in the berlin ceremony, she has to use crutches (is that the right word??)
Not a good sign. :sad:

Paneru
May 9th, 2004, 12:02 PM
You're welcome.

Had Venus taken the court and attempted to play, then she would have been credited wit a loss if she was losing at the time she pulled out.

I just hope her ankle injury isn't that serious because I want her to play the French Open, but her health comes first.

She was very optimistic to play but it got
worse as the night went on.

Eurosport commentators say she took the court
on crutches for the Award Ceremony.

Vee doesn't know if she'll be able to play
the French or not but really wants to. :sad:

Linnie
May 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Awww, Venus :sad: Hope you're in fighting form for the French Open :)
Congrats to Momo :D I would've preferred her to play for it, though.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM
I hope Venus is okay, this was a smart decision. But there is something very upsetting: The first article says that Venus withdrew with a pulled ligament. That's much more serious than a sprained or twisted ankle. Now you're heading over to Martina Hingis territory. Good luck Venus.I noticed that too and if I am not mistaken, didn't Kim pull a ligament in her right ankle before the AO at the Hopman Cup and it forced her out of the Sydney tournament? If that is the same injury, then Venus should be fine for the FO because all she needs is rest and treatment, which is what Kim got and she plalyed the AO with little pain. Plus I think the hardcourt is harder on ligaments than the clay is.

Knizzle
May 9th, 2004, 12:04 PM
She used crutches to walk on a clay court. :scared: Hope they don't slip. If she is on crutches then she just won't be able to train for a week. After that she should be fine.

Linnie
May 9th, 2004, 12:05 PM
They said she was flying back to the States to recuperate. A little Florida sunshine will do her a world of good ;)

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM
She was very optimistic to play but it got
worse as the night went on.

Eurosport commentators say she took the court
on crutches for the Award Ceremony.

Vee doesn't know if she'll be able to play
the French or not but really wants to. :sad:
That's not a good sign at all.:sad:

That right there puts her in doubt for the French, but like I said previously, if it is the same injury Kim had, then she sould be able to play.

Chance
May 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Poor Vee :-(oh gawd that sounds badddd:sad: :sad:

I guess FO isn't meant to be:sad:

Infiniti2001
May 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM
crutches are provided to keep pressure off the foot/ankle/whatever. I don't think we should speculate about the severity of Vee's injury.

Paneru
May 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM
That's not a good sign at all.:sad:

That right there puts her in doubt for the French, but like I said previously, if it is the same injury Kim had, then she sould be able to play.
I hope so. :)

It's good that she's optimistic. :)

SJW
May 9th, 2004, 12:08 PM
hope you get better soon V :kiss: you are to be congratulated on a wonderous run, and if you aren't fit for the French, then be sure to represent at your fave slam :bounce:

Knizzle
May 9th, 2004, 12:09 PM
oh gawd that sounds badddd:sad: :sad:

You never had an ankle sprain before?? She will be at the FO. I HIGHLY doubt it's that serious.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:10 PM
oh gawd that sounds badddd:sad: :sad:

No one said she wasn't play the FO; just that it is doubtful at this point because if she is on crutches, maybe the injury is more serious than we tought, but as Knizzle said, the crutches are being used so that she doesn't put any pressure on the ankle or foot and she should be fine in a week.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:12 PM
You never had an ankle sprain before?? She will be at the FO. I HIGHLY doubt it's that serious.
I agree with you, but the only thing that bothers me is that there was ligament damage and as of now, we don't know how serious it is, though I am hoping it is the same damage Kim had because then it would not be that serious.

"Topaz"
May 9th, 2004, 12:12 PM

congrats on the win, amelie.Ditto

katrientje
May 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I don't know how to explain this in English but I'll try
Venus just used the crutches for support, she didn't need the lift the injured foot, she was able to take careful steps, so it didn't look that bad
You know what I mean?

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Are you saying that the crutches were just for a special affect and to envoke sympathy form a potentially hostile crowd? :eek: :angel:

Infiniti2001
I don't know how to explain this in English but I'll try
Venus just used the crutches for support, she didn't need the lift the injured foot, she was able to take careful steps, so it didn't look that bad
You know what I mean?

Yes I do, read my post above :p All this speculating and panicing is :tape:

Andrew.
I agree with you, but the only thing that bothers me is that there was ligament damage and as of now, we don't know how serious it is, though I am hoping it is the same damage Kim had because then it would not be that serious.
I also agree with you on this. Ligament damage can be minor, like Kim prior to Aus, or can be severe, like Martina Hingis. Or it could be somewhere in between, which is no fun.

If I were Venus I would seriously consider skipping RG with that injury and wait until Wimby to come back 100%. She could do the most damage at Wimby and would be better rested and less likely to injure herself there.

katrientje
May 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I once sprained my ankle and I was in tremendous pain and I couldn't use my foot at all, but after 5 days it was completely healed... Let's hope it's something like that

SJW
May 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I once sprained my ankle and I was in tremendous pain and I couldn't use my foot at all, but after 5 days it was completely healed... Let's hope it's something like that
same. i once sprained my ankle and was in so much pain i thought it was broken. some ice, some painkillers, and it was as good as new in a couple of days.

from that i have hope that Venus will be ok in a couple of days/weeks :)

skanky~skanketta
May 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM
good decision girl!now take some rest, heal well and win that french open crown!

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I also agree with you on this. Ligament damage can be minor, like Kim prior to Aus, or can be severe, like Martina Hingis. Or it could be somewhere in between, which is no fun.

If I were Venus I would seriously consider skipping RG with that injury and wait until Wimby to come back 100%. She could do the most damage at Wimby and would be better rested and less likely to injure herself there.
I think Martina's injury was due to her shoes.

At this point, it is premature for her to consider skippig any tournament until she sees a doctor in the US. If her ankle isn't healed by the middle of next week when the FO darw may be announced, then I would really start to worry.

Chance
May 9th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Yes I do, read my post above :p All this speculating and panicing is :tape:
hey I'm from speculation land....it's what I do;)

katrientje,yeah same thing happend to me, but Venus said in her press conference after her semi, she felt this time her sprain felt different compared to previous times. I'm just worried that it might be ligament damage like Hingis or Serena.

Let Venus recover ASAP!!!!

SJW
May 9th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I think Martina's injury was due to her shoes.
errrrrrr......i think it was something else he was talking about. Martina was playing Linzi in Filderstadt i think and twisted her ankle. it was the most disgusting one i've seen. it made Venus' look like a pin-prick :(

Vass22
May 9th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Why is she so injury prone?! This is terrible. I first saw the word "withdrew" in the news, and thought it was Momo (but it seems that thay are two injury girls around here).

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:27 PM
errrrrrr......i think it was something else he was talking about. Martina was playing Linzi in Filderstadt i think and twisted her ankle. it was the most disgusting one i've seen. it made Venus' look like a pin-prick :(
I am aware of that (I saw it on the news and it looked pretty damn ugly) but wasn't Martina having problems with one of her ankles before because of her shoes and a previous injury that didn't heal properly?

Andrew.
May 9th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I am aware of that (I saw it on the news and it looked pretty damn ugly) but wasn't Martina having problems with one of her ankles before because of her shoes and a previous injury that didn't heal properly?
That's what she claimed, but her case against the maker of the shoes was tossed.

SJW
May 9th, 2004, 12:30 PM
oh. you were? right.

i assumed he was talking about ligament damage due to twisted ankles :shrug:

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:31 PM
That's what she claimed, but her case against the maker of the shoes was tossed.
I remember. The case was heard in Federal court in downtown NY, which I thought was odd because I thought the shoes were made outside of the US.

steffilover
May 9th, 2004, 12:32 PM
LOL...all the williams avid, rabid supporters come out to take a dig!

i have NO problem with players being injured...just look at the history of my fave!...but steffi only ever defaulted one match i can remember. and just as the williams double successes are to be marvelled at, so are their double withdrawals!:fiery:

Knizzle
May 9th, 2004, 12:34 PM
same. i once sprained my ankle and was in so much pain i thought it was broken. some ice, some painkillers, and it was as good as new in a couple of days.

from that i have hope that Venus will be ok in a couple of days/weeks :)
Me three. I heard a big pop when I sprained mine so I thought it was a goner, but like you guys say it was totally fine in 4 or 5 days.

P.S. I was also put on crutches for a week so they don't necessarily suggest serious injury.

Andrew.
May 9th, 2004, 12:34 PM
LOL...all the williams avid, rabid supporters come out to take a dig!

i have NO problem with players being injured...just look at the history of my fave!...but steffi only ever defaulted one match i can remember. and just as the williams double successes are to be marvelled at, so are their double withdrawals!:fiery:
Venus is really injured, really. :retard:

Knizzle
May 9th, 2004, 12:35 PM
On a lighter note:

Q: Do you see yourself and Amelie as the two favourites for the French Open, especially with a lot
of other players being injured?

WILLIAMS: It’s a tough season for the players. Mentally, I’m not at the French Open, I am in
Berlin. So it’s hard for me to transport myself to the French Open. I guess probably I am the
favourite because of the good season I’ve had. But being the favourite doesn’t necessarily mean the
title is handed to you. You have to go out there into the draw and play like everyone else.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:36 PM
oh. you were? right.

i assumed he was talking about ligament damage due to twisted ankles :shrug:
That's right.

He was talking about that. I was under the assumption that Martina damaged her ligament when she played Lindsay in late 2001 but she also claimed that a previous ankle injury didn't heal because of some bad shoes she wore and it may have lead to the 2001 ankle injury not healing the way it should have. The claim seemed like a stretch to me and to the court because as Andrew said, they dismissed it.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Updated: 08:31 AM EDT

Tennis-Injured Venus pulls out of Berlin final

BERLIN, May 9 (Reuters) - Former world number one Venus Williams pulled out of her German Open final against France's Amelie Mauresmo on Sunday after hurting her left ankle.
The third-seeded American sustained the injury while defeating Croatian Karolina Sprem in three sets in Saturday's semi-finals.

The elder Williams sister was chasing a third consecutive WTA tour title after winning in Warsaw last week and Charleston the week before.

She extended her winning streak to 15 matches on Saturday but twisted her left foot in the final game.

"Last night it became worse and this morning it was very painful," said Williams, leaning on crutches.

The American, who appeared to be recapturing her best form after a string of injuries, would not immediately comment on how serious the injury was and whether it might force her out of the French Open starting on May 24.

"It's not something I want to think about right now," she said.

World number two Kim Clijsters pulled out of the Berlin tournament before her scheduled third round match on Thursday because of a recurrent wrist injury. It was announced the next day that she would miss the French Open.

Clijsters lost to fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne in last year's final in Paris.

World number one Henin-Hardenne is a doubtful starter for this year's French Open because of a viral infection.

Williams's withdrawal meant world number three Mauresmo won the Berlin event for the second time since 2001.

"It's a strange feeling," said the Frenchwoman, seeded second.

"I would rather have played the final but, overall, it's been a very positive week for me and I'm definitely looking forward to the French Open. I'm one of maybe five players with a chance of winning it."

05/09/04 08:30 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

jlamire
May 9th, 2004, 01:10 PM
She was also lucky Schiavone withdrew with an injury because I think she was on Amelie's side of the draw.
:lol:
Schiavone will be lucky if she doesn't have Momo in her side of the draw.

silverwhite
May 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I've seen the pattern so many times now... I think there is a simple rule every top player should respect:

Never, never, never play 4 weeks in a row. A player need a FULL week between tournements.

The fourth week in a row, top players either: 1) Get injured or 2) Are mentally and physically tired and get upset (like Clijsters against Krasnoroutskaya last year).

3 weeks in a row is ok, as long as there at least a 2 weeks break after that. The ideal would be to never play more than 2 tournements in a row though.

But Venus has only played 3 weeks in a row. :confused:

topspin
May 9th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Get well, Venus!

Everything will work out for you.

Volcana
May 9th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Well, that shoots down my whole day.:(

Congrats to Amelie on the title.

Dava
May 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Im pretty gutted that there was no final today, both Venus and Amelie have been playing fantastically well all week, and they should have been a good match up in the final. Venus is concerned she may not be able to make it for the French which is also a shame as she is the probably the one person with the biggest chance of taking the title.

Experimentee
May 9th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Poor Venus :sad:
She has been suffering injury after injury lately. I knew it was a mistake for her to play Berlin after so much tennis. :(
I hope she recovers in time for RG.

vettipooh
May 9th, 2004, 01:23 PM
...and a williams sister withdraws from yet ANOTHER match. think of how often this has happened throughout their careers and compare it to the likes of evert/navratilova/sanchez/graf - it really says a LOT about the williams sisters.:( STFUSB!!!!!:retard: :smash:

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Poor Venus :sad:
She has been suffering injury after injury lately. I knew it was a mistake for her to play Berlin after so much tennis. :(
I hope she recovers in time for RG.
I don't think so.

This ankle turn could have happened in Warsw or in Slovenia, but it happened in Berlin.

As long as it isn't serious, then her chances of playing the French Open are pretty great.

VeraNuVirgosFan
May 9th, 2004, 01:31 PM
This news makes me feel quite sad...

Get Well Soon, Venus!!

With warm thoughts!

vettipooh
May 9th, 2004, 01:34 PM
I am so,so,so,glad,that Vee pulled out!!!Smart move not to further aggravate her ankle.Hope it heals in time for FO.Lord knows we don't need any more absentees!!!!Great job in Berlin,Vee.Keep it up for FO!!!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

LindsayRocks89
May 9th, 2004, 01:37 PM
great decision by Vee, her main priority is just to be healthy by the french open, and i'm sure that in the upcoming weeks she will work hard to be fit, Get healthy Vee and come back stronger than ever at the French Open! :bounce:

Cybelle Darkholme
May 9th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Well i think it was expected... bad luck for karolina as well :sad:

With all the injuries around the Williams, Henin with no match-practice and Kim sadly absent, it could be Amelie's biggest chance at a slam in Paris now, and even Lindsay has a chance to complete her Slam collection if she is in the same form she was in Amelia Island!
kim is sadly absent because she is injured.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 9th, 2004, 01:44 PM
The German Open website says that that Amelie and Anastasia Myskina will play an exhibition match, so the fans will get to see some tennis after all. Props to Anastasia for doing this!

Props to momo too because she didnt have to play an exhibition

Cybelle Darkholme
May 9th, 2004, 01:45 PM
yes it says they get injured.

what would you do if you were injured?

yeah thats right pull out.:rolleyes:

joeshmo50
May 9th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by steffilover

Hey You! You need to shut your mouth, especially when you don't really know what you are talking about. If you look at pictures from the award ceromony, Venus is on crutches. Obviously evert/navratilova/sanchez/graf would not have played either if they were on crutches. Do you want Venus to go out there and play with crutches? Oh yeah, that would be a fun match, huh? Think before you talk, stupid moron.

Rocketta
May 9th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Get Well Venus! :wavey:

Congrats Amelie.

boy I hope Venus is going to be alright. *praying for an ankle recovery* :angel:

ys
May 9th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Hopefully it is just a Voltchkov's-like ankle sprain injury. He was injured on Friday. Walked with crutches on Saturday. Played great tennis on Sunday.

silverwhite
May 9th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Charleston
Fed Cup
Warsaw
Berlin

Fed Cup does count. She had to prepare herself for her matches, so it's not a week to rest her body.

I see.

moon
May 9th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Too bad for Venus......Congrats to Momo! (would have loved to have seen that match :()

:wavey:see you in Paris Venus! (fingers crossed)

Jericho
May 9th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Get well soon venus. Fans and non-fans can post in the prayer thread for Venus in the payers forum!

BTW, i know this isnt the good time to ask, but does this mean that she's still on a win streak?

prr_rrp
May 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM
If the "injury" is really "serious" then stay away from RG too. The tournament will do just as well without you. Its not like you are a former champ or anything :rolleyes:

Pureracket
May 9th, 2004, 03:32 PM
If the "injury" is really "serious" then stay away from RG too. The tournament will do just as well without you. Its not like you are a former champ or anything :rolleyes:

Wow!!!!!!! You really are a troll. :eek: I'm serious. I hadn't given it much thought until I checked. There is not one, single supportive post you have for any player, and all your posts are negative:

http://www.wtaworld.com/search.php?searchid=125221

hotandspicey
May 9th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Hurry and get well,Queen Vee!!!This is just a minor setback. Congrats to Momo.It would have been a great match!!!!

hotandspicey
May 9th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Wow!!!!!!! You really are a troll. :eek: I'm serious. I hadn't given it much thought until I checked. There is not one, single supportive post you have for any player, and all your posts are negative:

http://www.wtaworld.com/search.php?searchid=125221 I think that TROLL is either Fan911,or For Sure.What the hell happened to them anyway?? :rolleyes:

Pureracket
May 9th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I think that TROLL is either Fan911,or For Sure.What the hell happened to them anyway?? :rolleyes:When they get banned, they get different usernames.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Get well soon venus. Fans and non-fans can post in the prayer thread for Venus in the payers forum!

BTW, i know this isnt the good time to ask, but does this mean that she's still on a win streak?She still has a win streak because she didn't take the court.

cheesestix
May 9th, 2004, 03:48 PM
She still has a win streat because she didn't take the court.

How can you think of win streaks at a time like this?!? Next thing you know, you'll be talking about how much money she'll miss out on! :rolleyes:

Get well Venus! Take all the time you need!

Pureracket
May 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM
How can you think of win streaks at a time like this?!? Next thing you know, you'll be talking about how much money she'll miss out on! :rolleyes:

Get well Venus! Take all the time you need!uh-oh, the vultures are circling like we knew they would.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Get well Venus! Take all the time you need!
Asscheese, someone asked a question and I answered it.

cheesestix
May 9th, 2004, 03:52 PM
uh-oh, the vultures are circling like we knew they would.

Get off my back, jerk!

Is that all you can say "....vultures....blah blah blah"? Nobody cares for your BS at a time like this! Maybe you need to put things into perspective and quit worrying about win streaks and cash.

Get well Venus!

Congrats Amelie!

Pureracket
May 9th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Get off my back, jerk!

Is that all you can say "....vultures....blah blah blah"? Nobody cares for your BS at a time like this! Maybe you need to put things into perspective and quit worrying about win streaks and cash.

Get well Venus!

Congrats Amelie!. .. . and the vultures are starting to swoop!

cheesestix
May 9th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Asscheese, someone asked a question and I answered it.

Please get off my back! Geez.....

Get well Venus!

Pureracket
May 9th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Please get off my back! Geez.....

Get well Venus!SWOOP! *Pureracket ducks*

cheesestix
May 9th, 2004, 03:55 PM
. .. . and the vultures are starting to swoop!

Even when us "haters" come here to be nice, you people still can't accept it?????

Geez, youre' the biggest asshole on this board!

Now, step back and ask yourself....who's really starting all of the BS up in here?????? Take a look in the mirror.

Pureracket
May 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Even when us "haters" come here to be nice, you people still can't accept it?????

Geez, youre' the biggest asshole on this board!

Now, step back and ask yourself....who's really starting all of the BS up in here?????? Take a look in the mirror.. . .. and the vultures make screeching noises from the backs of their scummy throats.

Freewoman33
May 9th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, Ignore.

~|Naomi|~
May 9th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Just to clear it up Kim didn't have ligament damage at AO. She was on crutches but could walk but used the crutches to aid her recovery. Venus is probably doing the same she can walk but wants absolutley no pressure on it. If it is just a sprain she will be fine by FO, Kim sprained her ankle in Leipzig and then won Filderstadt. Give the ankle a week and she will be a top contender in Paris.

Knizzle
May 10th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Venus playing 4 weeks in a row has nothing to do with her injury. She just sprained her ankle, it happens. Playing alot doesn't cause you to roll your ankle it's just a bad movement. Other muscles may be affected from playing alot, but in this case she just rolled over on it.

Knizzle
May 10th, 2004, 01:41 AM
She is not fragile. She and her sister play the more high impact games on the tour which make them the best, but also make them the most likely to injure themselves in the process. Running down every ball and making quick power moves on the court doesn't come without a price. Other players, like say, Lindsay Davenport don't do much running or make athletic moves therefore being able to stay away from injuries such as this.

Billabong
May 10th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Get well soon Venus :sad:!

vettipooh
May 10th, 2004, 05:07 AM
SWOOP! *Pureracket ducks* I'm sorry,I just couldn't help it!!!!!! :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: