PDA

View Full Version : Sprem and Saurez: Will they ever do it again?

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Sprem and Suarez, despite losing to VENUS, played the greatest matches of their careers this week in Berlin. So, the question is will they ever be able to duplicate those feats, on a consistant basis, again on the tour and become challengers for GS titles? :confused:

Or will they drop down as Hantuchova and Dokic did after playing very well against a top rated Hingis?

WorldWar24
May 9th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Why did they play the matches of their careers in Berlin? :o

Gimme a break

I don't know about Suarez but Sprem beat herself. Venus deserved to win cuz she hung in there, but Sprem hit lots of winners but even more errors. Venus didn't hit more than 15 winners. I counted them :o And that includes about 2 aces, 2or 3 overheads and 1 ball that had a funny bounce and Sprem missed :o She wasn't even in control of points :scared: How she pulled that one off, I'll never know! CONGRATS TO VENUS, she is indeed becoming a great clay courter, she is playing percentage tennis :wavey:

Sprem had like 30-40 winners to Venus ~15

Cyandream
May 9th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Sprem and Suarez, despite losing to VENUS, played the greatest matches of their careers this week in Berlin. So, the question is will they ever be able to duplicate those feats, on a consistant basis, again on the tour and become challengers for GS titles? :confused:

Or will they drop down as Hantuchova and Dokic did after playing very well against a top rated Hingis?

I think both Daniela and Jelena got propelled higher than they were really ready for. On the other hand both Paola and K-Lina have been honing their games, and gradually beating the players ranked above them. For instance, a year ago K-lina was losing in 3 to Paola and SFE, but this year beat Fabiola in 2, and is now losing to top 10 players in 3. These matches against Venus were good learning experiences for these ladies, they now know what they need to work on. Not sure about Daniela but think Jelena got a big head from beating Martina H. Now, she had game, there's no question, but how much of her win was because Martina's heart really wasn't there that year? After beating Martina, I think she thought she was hot stuff, and didn't really need to work on her game, on the other hand these ladies, had a taste of almost winning and should want more. JMHO.

Foot_Fault
May 9th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Why did they play the matches of their careers in Berlin? :o

Gimme a break

I don't know about Suarez but Sprem beat herself. Venus deserved to win cuz she hung in there, but Sprem hit lots of winners but even more errors. Venus didn't hit more than 15 winners. I counted them :o And that includes about 2 aces, 2or 3 overheads and 1 ball that had a funny bounce and Sprem missed :o She wasn't even in control of points :scared: How she pulled that one off, I'll never know! CONGRATS TO VENUS, she is indeed becoming a great clay courter, she is playing percentage tennis :wavey:

Sprem had like 30-40 winners to Venus ~15
Sperm did not have 30-40 Winners! LOL, LMAO! stop fucking exaggerating

"Topaz"
May 9th, 2004, 03:32 AM
They have a taste of it. So, it will always be on their minds. When it comes to GS potential, age becomes a factor. Sprem is soon to be 20 and Paola, soon to be 28. We all know how professional tennis works; if you don't show it by age 21, you don't have it. Tough but statistically true. Accordingly, I can see a singles GS in Sprem's career, but not in Paola's.

BTW, do you remember Virginia R. Pascual at WB-01 (or maybe RG)? She blew away Hingis in round-1 and everybody thought she would have a great future in singles. Nope, it didn't happen. She's now #82.

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 03:38 AM
I think both Daniela and Jelena got propelled higher than they were really ready for. On the other hand both Paola and K-Lina have been honing their games, and gradually beating the players ranked above them. For instance, a year ago K-lina was losing in 3 to Paola and SFE, but this year beat Fabiola in 2, and is now losing to top 10 players in 3. These matches against Venus were good learning experiences for these ladies, they now know what they need to work on. Not sure about Daniela but think Jelena got a big head from beating Martina H. Now, she had game, there's no question, but how much of her win was because Martina's heart really wasn't there that year? After beating Martina, I think she thought she was hot stuff, and didn't really need to work on her game, on the other hand these ladies, had a taste of almost winning and should want more. JMHO.
Good post with some fine points. :)

WorldWar24
May 9th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Not sure about Daniela but think Jelena got a big head from beating Martina H. Now, she had game, there's no question, but how much of her win was because Martina's heart really wasn't there that year? After beating Martina, I think she thought she was hot stuff, and didn't really need to work on her game, on the other hand these ladies, had a taste of almost winning and should want more. JMHO.

What about defeating Venus 61 62!? Jelena kept trying to improve, she even hired Heinz Gunt.(who is now with Jennifer C). And so did Daniela. I think these 2 players' results have nothing to do with their game. They have issues! Dani's parents divorced, and there's always Damir to claim Jelena doesn't really exist anymore :o

BTW Jenn is going nowhere with that coach! His players play like clones. He thinks he's going to have them play like Steffi did 10 years ago! I watched Jenn 2day and I could swear Jelena was playing just like that 1 year ago! He destroyed her game :scared: Jennifer beware!

Volcana
May 9th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Uh Tee? Did you research this question? Paola Suarez is 27 years old. She has 4 WTA singles titles, 3 on clay, 1 on Rebound Ace. She has 33 WTA doubles titles. She's not the most physically gifted, but her understanding of the game is second to none. OF COURSE she can do this again. YOU'RE the one saying she was playing out of her mind. I say she was just playing her game. paola is a solid top twenty performer, and usally, she knows more about tennis that the person on the other side of the net.

She didn't use mirrors to beat Petrova.

Venus had trouble with her because Venus couldn't wait for this opponent to do something stupid. Sooner or later, Venus pressures most opponents into the 2nd or 3rd best choice of shot. Not in this case.

Expect a repeat the next time they play on a slow surface.

LindsayRocks89
May 9th, 2004, 04:08 AM
maybe aganist another player they haven't faced, but if they faced Vee again, i bet Vee would win rather easily.

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE=Volcana]Uh Tee? Did you research this question? Paola Suarez is 27 years old. She has 4 WTA singles titles, 3 on clay, 1 on Rebound Ace. She has 33 WTA doubles titles. She's not the most physically gifted, but her understanding of the game is second to none. OF COURSE she can do this again. QUOTE]

27 years old - In tennis that is usually 1-2 years from retirement
4 whole titles? - Not GS singles titles, even Dementieva has one of those.
Game knowledge 2nd to none? - Are we talking about BJK?

Why has she never done this before? Where are her French Open sisngles titles? Don't expect a repeat performance of that match ever.

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM
According to the poll, many think Sprem is the Second Coming of the tour. We shall see.

GoGoMaggie
May 9th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Who the hell is Vee?

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Who the hell is Vee?
Take a damned guess.:rolleyes:

Experimentee
May 9th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Uh Tee? Did you research this question? Paola Suarez is 27 years old. She has 4 WTA singles titles, 3 on clay, 1 on Rebound Ace. She has 33 WTA doubles titles. She's not the most physically gifted, but her understanding of the game is second to none. OF COURSE she can do this again. YOU'RE the one saying she was playing out of her mind. I say she was just playing her game. paola is a solid top twenty performer, and usally, she knows more about tennis that the person on the other side of the net.

She didn't use mirrors to beat Petrova.

Venus had trouble with her because Venus couldn't wait for this opponent to do something stupid. Sooner or later, Venus pressures most opponents into the 2nd or 3rd best choice of shot. Not in this case.

Expect a repeat the next time they play on a slow surface.

Exactly :yeah:

Of course these players can play like this again. That doesnt mean they will become contenders for Grand Slams. Just because you take a set off Venus doesnt make you the best thing since sliced bread.

spencercarlos
May 9th, 2004, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=Volcana]Uh Tee? Did you research this question? Paola Suarez is 27 years old. She has 4 WTA singles titles, 3 on clay, 1 on Rebound Ace. She has 33 WTA doubles titles. She's not the most physically gifted, but her understanding of the game is second to none. OF COURSE she can do this again. QUOTE]

27 years old - In tennis that is usually 1-2 years from retirement
4 whole titles? - Not GS singles titles, even Dementieva has one of those.
Game knowledge 2nd to none? - Are we talking about BJK?

Why has she never done this before? Where are her French Open sisngles titles? Don't expect a repeat performance of that match ever.
Geez Teerex come on where is Venus Williams`s French Open title then? Oh yes taking Venus to three sets means you are playing out of your mind-best ever tennis.. LOL what a joke.

Go there a check the kind of level Serena is that she beat Sprem 6-1 7-5 in Amelia Island.

But one of things really supports the fact that even with this 2 straight titles and a final does not mean that Venus was playing grand slam winning tennis, pretty much since she has been taking to three sets by non top ten players, must to add that these players has not been grand slam champion contenders lately (or never been perhaps, with Martinez the great exception who was a slam herself won it almost 10 years ago).
Venus still has a long way to go to reach her level, and eventhough with Kim out of Roland Garros, there is still plenty of competition there.
Also NOT EVEN beating Venus is guarrantee for Slam wins (except only Serena :p who beat her in those finals) especially the past 3 years when it has been Venus who has not won a slam during this period, let alone just taking her to three sets 8-).
Many many players have beaten Venus since her last grand slam win and only Serena has been the only one to take Grand Slams.

faboozadoo15
May 9th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Sperm did not have 30-40 Winners! LOL, LMAO! stop fucking exaggerating
yeah, she did...

WorldWar24
May 9th, 2004, 05:33 PM
yeah, she did...

Fault apparently cannot conceive the idea that Sprem was dictating play :speakles: Did you see the match Fault?

faboozadoo15
May 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Fault apparently cannot conceive the idea that Sprem was dictating play :speakles: Did you see the match Fault?
couldn't have...

faste5683
May 9th, 2004, 06:47 PM

:haha: Hell no, he can't even imagine players getting close in score against "V"-let alone whooping up on her. It's sad really, for all the rational and knowledgeable Williams fans on this board.

:wavey:

TeeRexx
May 9th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Well, it seems as if an awful lot of attention will be on Sprem when she plays in Rome and Paris to she if her Berlin play was not a fluke.

AjdeNate!
May 9th, 2004, 09:18 PM
There's been loads of attention on her for well over a year now... some people just opted not to look outside their own comfort level.

:wavey:

croat123
May 9th, 2004, 09:19 PM
The Croatian press has been all over K-lina since her run in the challengers. She is getting used to it. Of course, the Croatian press is nothing like the international press, but I think she is doing a good job at remaining focused.

AjdeNate!
May 9th, 2004, 09:21 PM
^ True, she's got such a stable family support and her coach keeps her focused.

AjdeNate!
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Any follow up? :p

Truthwillout
Jul 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Where's TeeRex now? I guess he wound up realising he'd outstayed his welcome by 65 million years.

Ballbuster
Jul 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Forget this threads title. I miss TeeRex. Sup, Man Where you at?

Truthwillout
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I miss TeeRex.

Birds of the same feather...

MAURO
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Sprem did it

Paola will be

Ballbuster
Jul 13th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Birds of the same feather...

Don't forget it! We got to stick together....and I'm sure you know the reason.