PDA

View Full Version : Just How Serious Is Venus' Ankle Injury?

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 02:05 AM
I was out most of the day and found out that Venus may not play the final due to her ankle sprain. I also see that she says she is motivated to play, which is a good sign. If she felt her ankle would not be better by tomorow, I think we would know by tonight that there would be no final.

I feel that she will play because if her ankle was in that bad of shape, she would have needed help walking off the court and I don't see any evidence of this happening.

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Only Venus knows how bad it is...

And I disagree that if she wasn't going to play, she would withdraw tonight... If she decides to pull out, I'd expect it to be fairly late, because she wants to make 100% sure that she isn't fit. Pulling out of finals sucks.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Only Venus knows how bad it is...

And I disagree that if she wasn't going to play, she would withdraw tonight... If she decides to pull out, I'd expect it to be fairly late, because she wants to make 100% sure that she isn't fit. Pulling out of finals sucks.
Indian Wells 2001 is still in her mind and if she knew that she couldn't play, she would have withdrawn tonight.

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Indian Wells 2001 is still in her mind and if she knew that she couldn't play, she would have withdrawn tonight.
No, she wouldn't have. The only reason Indian Wells was such a big deal is because she was playing against her sister. This is a completely different situation.

Foot_Fault
May 9th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Different..the fans are Fully aware of what happen and was of witness to it. They even all Gasped, and when Venus began to walk again they all applauded.
So they are hoping just as well as she, but it wouldn't be fair to Venus or Amelie. The fans would be the only one's ganked to a small degree.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Different..the fans are Fully aware of what happen and was of witness to it. They even all Gasped, and when Venus began to walk again they all applauded.
So they are hoping just as well as she, but it wouldn't be fair to Venus or Amelie. The fans would be the only one's ganked to a small degree.
See, that's key for me is the fact that she walked off the court on her own accord. True, she will know tomorrow how bad the ankle really is, but if it is a mild sprain and it is taped heavily, then Venus should be able to play.

prr_rrp
May 9th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Venus will suddenly start feeling the effects of her injury ONLY if she finds herself on the losing side otherwise everything wil be fine and sundry Berlin land . I 'd expect a obsessive fan like you to know this already :rolleyes:

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Venus will suddenly start feeling the effects of her injury ONLY if she finds herself on the losing side otherwise everything wil be fine and sundry Berlin land . I 'd expect a obsessive fan like you to know this already :rolleyes:
I didn't realize you were the official doctor of the WTA Tour.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 02:31 AM
As much as i'd like to treat retards like you for free , there are just too many of your clan who need treatment :tape: :rolleyes:
If this board is full of retards, then:

Why did you post to this thread?
Why post on WTAWorld at all?

WhatTheDeuce
May 9th, 2004, 02:33 AM
If this board is full of retards, then:

Why did you post to this thread?
Why post on WTAWorld at all?every post he makes is critical and he is always in a bad mood... clearly he hates life, everyone else, and hes depressed

give him a break

Andrew.
May 9th, 2004, 02:43 AM
See, that's key for me is the fact that she walked off the court on her own accord. True, she will know tomorrow how bad the ankle really is, but if it is a mild sprain and it is taped heavily, then Venus should be able to play.
I was 100% sure Lindsay was going to play the 2001 YEC final but she withdrew the next day. I really think it's a 50/50 shot if she plays.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 02:46 AM
I was 100% sure Lindsay was going to play the 2001 YEC final but she withdrew the next day. I really think it's a 50/50 shot if she plays.
The difference is that Lindsay's injury came while there were still a few games to play in her match. It appears that Venus' injury came near the end of the match.

Andrew.
May 9th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Lindsay injured her knee on the second to last point of the match.

lizchris
May 9th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Lindsay injured her knee on the second to last point of the match.
Then there had to be a pre-existing condition for her not to be able to stand on her leg the next day.

Venus Forever
May 9th, 2004, 03:10 AM
You are actually right.

It is known quite well that when players seem to be winning when they are injured, it is very much due to the adrenaline they are experiencing while they are winning.

When you are losing, you are not as pumped up, and the adrenaline is not there.

The adrenaline, in a way, acts as pain reliever. It relieves whatever pain you may have, just like Venus at the SF of Wimbledon last year, or Justine at the US Open last year.

But then, when you start to lose, the adrenaline rush fades, and the pain of the injury sets in, like the finals of Wimbledon, even though Venus' adrenaline level was not too high during that match.

Andrew.
May 9th, 2004, 03:58 AM
Then there had to be a pre-existing condition for her not to be able to stand on her leg the next day.
She ran up for a drop shot and ended up stopping suddenly just short of the net. The bone from he knee literally seperated out of it's other piece and damaged the other parts of her knee. For the next point, she just got a serve in, and Kim hit the ball right back to her, and then she hit a winner. Match was over She walked off court, and was in pain. But apparently during the next few hours the swelling, etc. really started and she was done. Bad memories there.

Chance
May 9th, 2004, 04:23 AM
I just read Vee's interview. I'm wanting Vee to skip the final.
It seems like her twisted ankle this time feels different compared to the AusOpen and Nasdaq.... best for Vee to rest up. Gawd I don't want anything Hingis like to happen....

Gryffindor80
May 9th, 2004, 04:39 AM
I just read Vee's interview. I'm wanting Vee to skip the final.
It seems like her twisted ankle this time feels different compared to the AusOpen and Nasdaq.... best for Vee to rest up. Gawd I don't want anything Hingis like to happen....
VENUS is wise enough what decision will she have. If she decided to withdraw its her choice and due to circumstances that she cant stop. She is a Fighter, I think she wont Jeopardize the French which is almost on her eyesight now.

esquímaux
May 9th, 2004, 04:44 AM
As much as i'd like to treat retards like you for free , there are just too many of your clan who need treatment :tape: :rolleyes:

Such strong words for a recent member :scratch:

SerialKiller#69
May 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Well props to her if she decides to play but I don't feel as though she's ready yet for a top player like Amelie. Amelie will eat her for lunch based on their performances.

Rocketta
May 9th, 2004, 07:07 AM
I'm actually less worried about the ankle than I am about the hip..She seemed to really be hampered by that hip most of the 2nd and all of the third. :(

Alan
May 9th, 2004, 07:15 AM
i hope whatever decision venus would take, it would be better for her, we can't afford to lose (at least for a few weeks) another player due to injuries...

plastik ba? hehehehe

katrientje
May 9th, 2004, 07:17 AM
I hope Venus is ok and in any case I would rather see her skipping this match, it will be too much for her

tennisIlove09
May 9th, 2004, 07:20 AM
It's not just a twisted ankle, she also has a hip strain.

SerialKiller#69
May 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM
i hope whatever decision venus would take, it would be better for her, we can't afford to lose (at least for a few weeks) another player due to injuries...

plastik ba? hehehehe

Hi Allan.. Bakit naman plastik? Ayaw mo ba kay Venus?