PDA

View Full Version : Who hates the Low-Carb Phase

jbone_0307
May 9th, 2004, 12:53 AM
What happened to the old fashioned way to lose weight, by exercising and eating less. Has it been proven that this "low carb" diet actually works. Its hurting Krispy Kreme sales and If they close down one of their stores close to me, I will be pissed. Why have people gotten sooo lazy, that instead of walking or working out, they'll just eat a carb friendly meal. Theres nothing wrong with the carb control thing, but I feel its gotten out of hand and I'm getting worried that some of the fat full snacks, wont be there for me to consume. Who else feels like this?? BTW I eat like a pig and I'm skinny

Richie77
May 9th, 2004, 01:32 AM
I don't like the low-carb/Atkins fad either. It might help you lose weight in the short-term, but it's long-term effects aren't exactly clear.

My dad tried it for a couple weeks, and while he lost weight, he also developed mental lapses, and became spacey and out of it. Apparently you need 200 grams of carbs a day to keep your body functioning normally, and when you start the Atkins diet, you can only eat 20 grams of carbs a day :eek:

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Our body needs all food groups. People forget that. If we don't have one or the other we end up straining some type of organ. They are saying the low carb. diets are bad for the liver.

What I find worse is fat people telling people how to lose weight (see Dr.Phil)

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 01:34 AM
I don't like the low-carb/Atkins fad either. It might help you lose weight in the short-term, but it's long-term effects aren't exactly clear.

My dad tried it for a couple weeks, and while he lost weight, he also developed mental lapses, and became spacey and out of it. Apparently you need 200 grams of carbs a day to keep your body functioning normally, and when you start the Atkins diet, you can only eat 20 grams of carbs a day :eek:

They say that if you eat so much as a french (or "freedom") fry during the first "all important stage" you can throw your entire diet off and it won't work. That is just CRAZINESS

decemberlove
May 9th, 2004, 01:46 AM
im tired of hearing people yap about it . it seems so unhealthy

Mase
May 9th, 2004, 01:46 AM
im tired of hearing people yap about it . it seems so unhealthy
Amen to that ;)

mboyle
May 9th, 2004, 01:51 AM
it isn't unhealthy, and it does work. We learned about it in science class last year, and the science behind it is quite sound. I don't want to explain it now, but do some research.

Richie77
May 9th, 2004, 01:51 AM
They say that if you eat so much as a french (or "freedom") fry during the first "all important stage" you can throw your entire diet off and it won't work. That is just CRAZINESS
I agree. Not to mention how some people are getting so bread-phobic...one of the most important foods since the dawn of time is suddenly bad for you.

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 01:53 AM
I agree. Not to mention how some people are getting so bread-phobic...one of the most important foods since the dawn of time is suddenly bad for you.
:worship: :worship:
I know :eek: :eek:

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 01:55 AM
it isn't unhealthy, and it does work. We learned about it in science class last year, and the science behind it is quite sound. I don't want to explain it now, but do some research.

"Theoretically" it is good for you. And we know that sound theory = sound pratice :rolleyes:

bw2082
May 9th, 2004, 02:12 AM
If you eat in moderation and excercise you don't need to worry. There's one sure way to lose weight and that's to eat less!

Ted of Teds Tennis
May 9th, 2004, 03:47 AM
I don't do the Atkins diet (or any of the other low-carb diets), but get really irritated by the anti-Atkins folks, largely because they have a vested interest in seeing the Atkins Diet fail, but are dishonest about that vested interest.

Basically, if Atkins is right, all the nannying we've been getting for at least a generation from the usual suspects will be proved wrong, and those people will lose their power.

alexusjonesfan
May 9th, 2004, 05:11 AM
I don't do the Atkins diet (or any of the other low-carb diets), but get really irritated by the anti-Atkins folks, largely because they have a vested interest in seeing the Atkins Diet fail, but are dishonest about that vested interest.

Basically, if Atkins is right, all the nannying we've been getting for at least a generation from the usual suspects will be proved wrong, and those people will lose their power.so then the people who've been 'opressed' into eating all nutrients see this as a way of getting back their power? :scratch:

I had no idea Atkins had this disestablishmentarian bent.:eek:

Still, so many of the pro-atkins gurus probably have a vested interest in seeing the diet succeed in order to gain power and more importantly, money.

BigB08822
May 9th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Oh trust me, the fatty snacks will always be around! I don't know why it bothers you so much, you don't have to participate. It would suck if the Krispy Kreme closes down though. However, they became so popular for a while that I think their profits were bound to fall no matter what.

decemberlove
May 9th, 2004, 05:28 AM
it isn't unhealthy, and it does work. We learned about it in science class last year, and the science behind it is quite sound. I don't want to explain it now, but do some research.i dont give a fuck what a high school science class says...

stuffing your face with meat thats pumped up with chemicals by our government and losing 30 lbs in a few weeks is NOT healthy.

there are still quite a few nutritionists that are puzzled by this . just cos a few people claim its healthy now, doesnt mean that it will be considered healthy in a few years . we are constantly finding out what is good for us, and what isnt good for us . its ALWAYS changing.

besides . i dont need to do research . i happen to be active and thin . and im all about the carbs, baby . yum yum yum yum bread and yum yum yum yum pasta . mmmmm . :lick:

Steam
May 9th, 2004, 05:35 AM
This is just another example of the vast population of America being fucking sheep. I'm not out of shape because I eat a lot of carbs. I'm out of shape because I'm a lazy fuck.

skanky~skanketta
May 9th, 2004, 06:56 AM
the atkins diet causes piles (u cant eat so many fruits and vegetables), and makes u wrinkle much faster(duh!).

but u also lose a lot of weight.

~ The Leopard ~
May 9th, 2004, 07:38 AM
yum yum yum yum joui and yum yum yum yum joui again. mmmmm . :lick:
Don't worry, I feel the same way about you. :lick:

gentenaire
May 9th, 2004, 08:01 AM
I recentely read an article about a research people had done. They'd asked thin and fat people to write down what they ate every day. The results showed that thin people ate a lot more carbs and a lot less meat than fat people.

Tine, like Dlove (but less attractive ;) ), thin and healthy and eating lots of carb :p I started losing weight when I left home (as did my brother), because I started eating less meat.

Mariangelina
May 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Sadly, despite the deluge of "healthy eating" information we're saturated in, so many people still equate health with weight loss. We are not carnivores. Just look at what chimpanzees eat, what early civilizations eat. Too much protein can cause heart disease and kidney damage, but tragically some people would rather die at 50 or 60 than be fat. Everything that makes you lose 30 pounds in ten weeks is not good for you. Actually, it's probably awful for you. Does anyone find stuff like "low-carb bread" hilarious? :haha: It's BREAD!

I may be slightly biased, because I adore carbohydrates and generally don't like meat and greasy things. Too much protein makes me lethargic and nauseated and gives me headaches. But I wear a size 8. I wonder how that's possible?

Then there are people who turn to these fad diets just because they hate exercise. Let's face it, of course you'll be fat and out of shape if you never exercise! So our culture's obsession with unhealthy thinness goes right along with a generally overweight society. This produces a lot of anguished people, and I think it's very sad.

Does the Atkins diet make you lose weight? Yeah, for some people, definitely.

Is it good for you? I think not.

gentenaire
May 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I've read that the real reason people on Atkins lose weight is that high proteins reduce your appetite. These people simply eat less than usual, that's all. I'm always less hungry after drinking coke, I think drinking a lot of coke can actually make you lose weight. That doesn't make coke in itself healthy.

*JR*
May 9th, 2004, 12:47 PM
First off, the science wasn't by Robert Atkins, whose death @ 72 from falling on an icy sidewalk means we'll never know if his own heart disease would have killed him, and when. (Only that his heirs are whores re. his name). A quiet British researcher named John Yudkin did the lab work years ago, radio guy Carleton Fredericks (who died of a heart attack @ 76) ran with it, and recruited cardiologist Atkins for credibility.

Re. ketosis, its a lousy way to burn fat, like a smokey fireplace producing unhealthy by-products. And it creates an overly acid state in the body, which is why diabetics have long had To Test Their urine for signs of keto-acidosis. (Those Color Coded test strips were NOT invented for Atkins dieters).

No, we don't need 200 grams of cars a day (unless carb loading for a marathon). Anyone who "needs" more than 100 or so may well be hypoglycemic, and needs a GITT (Glucose-Insulin Tolerance Test, NOT 2B confused with the inferior, but "standard" GTT or Glucose Tolerance Test). One may need a referral to an endocrinologist for this.

Atkins and his defacto successor Robert Eades make little if any distiction between healthy and unhealthy fats. The opposite extreme (best represented by John McDougall, who "succeeded" the late Robert Pritikin, also Ignores Inconvenient facts). The most reasonable major "guru" seems 2B Barry Sears of "Zone Diet" fame. (Don't worry about Hitting His 40/30/30 ratio exactly, its more useful as a guideline).

Ted of Teds Tennis
May 9th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Viggen:

I'm not suggesting that average people who eat a non-Atkins diet are being oppressed. I had in mind the nanny-state types from groups like Center for "Science" in the "Public" Interest, as well as a lot of dietitians and other doctors' groups.

The low-carb folks may have a financial interest in seeing more low-carb stuff sold, but what bothers me far more is the self-righteousness of the anti-Atkins folks who have a vested interest but won't admit it.

mboyle
May 9th, 2004, 03:31 PM
If you eat in moderation and excercise you don't need to worry. There's one sure way to lose weight and that's to eat less!
not true at all. You need to eat from the right food groups. To maintain a mass you currently have, there is nothing wrong with some complex carbs. However, if you are trying to lose weight, your body won't start burning your fat cells for energy until you give it a reason to do so. That reason is ceasing to give your body easily burned energy. Such easily burned energy is known as carbs. Therefore, until one stops eating carbs, one's body will not turn to the very hard to burn fat cells for energy.

Nikki
May 9th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I was told in my nutrition lecture one of the reasons you lose weight is because Carbs tend to be contained in water in the body, cutting down on carbs means losing water, so it is water you are losing. In the short term this is a reasonably good way to lose weight.

However if you exercise a lot you will have problems seeing as carbohydrates is the main source of energy for all exercise.

Effectively to lose weight eat lots of fats as it stays in the stomach longer therefore you will eat less calories due to not feeling hungry but this is not a healthy way in the long term.

Eurotennisfan
May 9th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Atkins is based on a very simple premise...(and I think it over simplifies our bodies energy cycle)

1. Our body burns carbs before it burns fat
2.Get rid of the carbs and your body burns fat instead.

While I think that on a 1-D level this "sounds" ok...it does not take into consideration (among many other things)...

That we need breads, pastas ect. for things not always directly related to the fat-burning process. We need these foods for proper digestion, cell function ect.

alexusjonesfan
May 9th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Viggen:

I'm not suggesting that average people who eat a non-Atkins diet are being oppressed. I had in mind the nanny-state types from groups like Center for "Science" in the "Public" Interest, as well as a lot of dietitians and other doctors' groups.

hmm, sorry, I didn't know about state institutions like the Centre for Science etc. As for doctors and nutritionists, I trust them and I trust their training and education. Yeah they can mistakes, and yes their fields are constantly changing but it's still sounder to base ideas on the millenia that the history of food spans than another new quick fix miracle cure.

The low-carb folks may have a financial interest in seeing more low-carb stuff sold, but what bothers me far more is the self-righteousness of the anti-Atkins folks who have a vested interest but won't admit it.
Meh, they're self-righteous on both sides. They both want to save the world and get credit for it.

btw I don't know much about the history of the Atkins diet, but how long has it been around? About 5-6 years ago, there used to be Susan Somers infomercials on all the time preaching a similar high fat/protein, low carb weight-loss plan.

Martian Willow
May 9th, 2004, 05:40 PM
...I think how regular you are is important factor that's often overlooked...I go once a day, most days...sometimes twice...call it ten times a week...maybe I should do a poll about this... :)

emptyhead
May 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Willow - I always knew you were full of shit

harloo
May 9th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Well people who are morbidly obese should try anything. Atkins is the most effective way to lose weight fast, and it does work. I have tried it when I lost 25 pounds in a month. I am not overweight, but I wanted to lose some of the extra pounds I gained working graveyard. I must say that it's easy to get caught up in the whole Atkins rules my life culture. It's sort of like a cult, but I think the public should realize that it's not totally healthy and maybe after losing the weight they could go back too doing traditional dieting and exercise.

Leo_DFP
May 9th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Agreed. I am completely anti-"low-carb" lifestyles. Why not simply eat all foods groups, but in moderation? And why not try that thing called exercise? I will never give up carbs. :lick:

decemberlove
May 9th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Don't worry, I feel the same way about you. :lick:
:kiss:

Justin
May 9th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Losing weight isn't difficult.

There are just 3 rules to lose weight:

1) You eat normal meals (like spaghetti or chicken with vegetables) but you don't eat a dessert after. No fast food.

2) When you're hungry between meals you eat a fruit.

3) You do a reasonnable amount of exercice each day.

You lose about 1 lbs a week, which means after a year you can lose as much as 50 lbs.
Co-sign.

You lose weight the same way you stay out of jail- You Behave Yourself!

BK4ever
May 10th, 2004, 12:41 AM
I think the main fact that people fail to recognize about Atkins is that the extreme lo-carb consumption is only in the initial phase where it tries to cleanse you body of bad carbs and help you to start anew.

After a person is within ten pounds of their ideal weaight, they start to gradually add more and more carbs into their diet...this is the most important phase, it is the phase that allows you to determine how many carbs your body can consume daily without you losing weight. My friend who did the Atkins diet, found that she could eat upto 160 carbs a aday and still maintain her weight. I see nothing wrong with that amount.

She now lives a carb-controlled healthy life. She eats bread, pasta and lots of other carbs, she just does it in moderation, which is how we should all approach eating.

My only criticism of Atkins is that it does not do it enough to educate on the importance of controlling fatty food consumption.

I found the protein power book to be much more well balanced. I now use it as my guide on how to eat healthy balanced meals throughout the day.

Crazy Canuck
May 10th, 2004, 06:16 AM
I love my carbs! I don't give a crap what other people eat, though, as long as they don't rub their diets in my face by watching me eat with either great irritation or envy ;)

If I don't eat something with bread in the morning - be it toast, crackers, etc. I get extremely faint. I'm hypoglycemic, and despite what I've been told by the doctor, I feel MUCH better after eating something bready than i do after a bottle of orange juice.

Candy946
May 10th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I also don't agree with the low carb diets. Our body needs carbohydrates just as your car needs fuel. It's what keeps us energized. Low-carb dieting can lead to all types of problems: hair loss, osteoporosis, kidney stones, gout, hypertension, loss of energy, heart diseases, and more.

- You're putting yourself at high risk of getting cancer and heart disease because most of what you're eating is high in protein, cholesterol, saturated fat, and etc. High intake of protein raises your LDL levels (low density lipoprotiens) aka "bad cholesterol", which transports cholesterol into the peripheral cells and dumping all of the excess cholesterol in the blood, and when this happens it causes build up (plaque) in the vessels and arteries. If they are blocked, then the blood is not able to go to the heart and when the cardiac muscles aren't receiving blood, the cells die off and it can eventually lead to myocardial infaction-heart attacks. You need the HDL (high density lipoproteins) found in high fiber and complex carb foods because instead of leaving the cholesterol and triglycerides in the arteries and vessels, it will go to the liver instead to be metabolized and get excreted out of your system. Also depriving your body of whole grains, veggies, beans, and fruits will increase cancers because those foods contain antioxidants that fight off the cancers.

- When your body is low on carbs, it can lead to postural hypotension. This means that there's a sudden drop in blood pressure as you change from a sitting or lying position to standing position- caused by electrolyte imbalance and fluid loss. This is why people feel fatigued and light headed.

- It is better to lose weight slowly. I remember my prof. saying that we need to drop at least 3,500 calories before we can lose a pound. Starving yourself or rapid weight loss can increase your cravings through out the day so you actually gain more pounds, weighing more than you did before you went on a diet. I don't know how some people say they lose around 15 pounds a week when we need at least 2,000-2,500 calories a day.

- The gout is from eating foods high in purines found in meat, chicken, eggs, seafood, and peanuts. Purines are broken down into uric acid and it can go to to the joints.

- In the long run, eating high protein diets can lead to osteoporosis because the calcium will go to the urine and calcium loss deteriorates the bones.

All though it does work, it's not good to stay on it for a long time. Anyway, this is just my two cents on low carb diets. Obviously scientists are still constantly doing research on this diet and the pros/cons on this subject is still up in the air.

*JR*
May 10th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Obviously scientists are still constantly doing research on this diet and the pros/cons on this subject is still up in the air.
Good analysis, Re. Research, that money-grubbing SOB Atkins wrote a "revision" of Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution 20 years after the original; except that it really had Nothing New of any importance; but he got to sell more books with the fundamental LIE of calling it "New" in The Title.

In another book called Dr. Atkins' Health Revolution he uncritically lauded nearly every claimed holistic cure for anything. And back to research, he FINALLY Funded a university study (still in progress, I believe) a full quarter century after his original best seller hit the shelves! :rolleyes: