PDA

View Full Version : Coach: No chance Clijsters will be ready for French Open

BlinX
May 8th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Coach: No chance Clijsters will be ready for French Open
May 7, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

BRUSSELS, Belgium -- Kim Clijsters will pull out of the French Open because of a recurring left wrist injury, according to her Web site Friday.

"Kim is forced to withdraw," the French portion of kimclijsters.com said.

Earlier Friday, Clijsters' coach told a Belgian radio station she needs to take five weeks off, suggesting the player would miss Roland Garros.

"The doctor has told her to rest," Marc Dehous said in an interview with VRT radio. "It is yet another setback."

Clijsters was the runner-up in 2001 and 2003 at the French Open, where play starts May 24. The French Tennis Federation said Friday evening it was unaware whether Clijsters' is pulling out.

The pain in her wrist flared up after she played her first tour match in six weeks Wednesday, struggling past qualifier Marta Marrero 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 in the German Open's second round at Berlin.

Clijsters pulled out of that clay-court event Thursday, saying: "I hope I can play the French, I don't know. It's a 50-50 chance. It's hard to answer that right now."

Clijsters' wrist has been in a brace for over a month, and the injury has proved more problematic than expected. She resumed playing at the Fed Cup two weeks ago, leading Belgium past Croatia in the first round, but complained she still felt pain.

She hoped to be back in top form for the French Open.

"There is no chance," Dehous said Friday. "Otherwise, it may become a chronic injury."

Clijsters' injury was first diagnosed two months ago as a stress reaction. Later, a half-inch tear was found in her left wrist.

"She will do everything possible to get healthy again as soon as possible," Dehous said.

Even though she's right-handed, Clijsters has a strong double-fisted backhand, making it impossible to play at the highest level with an injured left hand.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

SOURCE = http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/story/7312230

:sad: This is so sad! :sad: