PDA

View Full Version : 'US soldiers abused young girl at Iraqi prison'

Warrior
May 7th, 2004, 08:35 PM
http://www.itv.com/news/story1907272.jpg"She was naked and screaming and calling out to him as they beat her" - former Abu Ghraib inmate Suhaib al-Baz

'US soldiers abused young girl at Iraqi prison'
7.17PM, Fri May 7 2004

The US military has said it will investigate claims by a former inmate of Abu Ghraib prison that a girl as young as 12 was stripped and beaten by military personnel.

Suhaib al-Baz, a journalist for the al-Jazeera television network, claims to have been tortured at the prison, based west of Baghdad, while held there for 54 days.

Mr al-Baz was arrested when reporting clashes between insurgents and coalition forces in November.

He said: "They brought a 12-year-old girl into our cellblock late at night. Her brother was a prisoner in the other cells.

"She was naked and screaming and calling out to him as they beat her. Her brother was helpless and could only hear her cries. This affected all of us because she was just a child.

The allegations cannot be verified independently but Mr al-Baz maintains psychological and physical violence were commonplace in the jail.

He also claims that a father and his 15-year-old son were tortured in front of his cell.

He said: "They made the son carry two jerry cans full of water. An American soldier had a stick and when he stopped, he would beat him.

"He collapsed so they stripped him and poured cold water over him. They brought a man who was wearing a hood. They pulled it off. The son was shocked to see it was his father and collapsed.

"When he recovered, he now saw his father dressed in women's underwear and the Americans laughing at him.

Mr al-Baz claims the guards at the prison were keen to take photographs of the abuse and turned it into a competition.

"They were enjoying taking photographs of the torture. There was a daily competition to see who could take the most gruesome picture.

"The winner's photo would be stuck on a wall and also put on their laptop computers as a screensaver.

"I had a good opinion of the Americans but since my time in prison, I've changed my mind. In Iraq we still have no freedom or democracy. They are so cruel to us."

The International Committee of the Red Cross has said Iraqis held by US forces have been subjected to systematic degrading treatment, sometimes close to torture, that may have been officially condoned.

The ICRC said visits to detention centres in Iraq between March and November 2003 had turned up violations of international treaties on prisoners of war.

The ICRC, whose reports on prison visits are confidential, went public with some of its findings after parts of the 24-page document were carried by the Wall Street Journal.

The scandal over detainee abuse broke last week with the release of photographs showing the sexual humiliation of Iraqi prisoners in Abu Ghraib.

US Defecse Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has taken responsibility for the incidents and apologised to the victims, the Iraqi people and Americans.

Kirt12255
May 7th, 2004, 08:53 PM
:sad: It's all very sad (still unproven however).

The thing I think us "Sane" people have to remember is that these are individuals and not representive of a country of so many people. Torture is common place in many countries. Women in Iraq were humiliated by Saddam's sons for so many years...raped...killed and their fingers sent back in a box to their families.

A guy in Australia is going through court for enslaving a woman in his garrage for 3 years.....recently in Belgium they have had their own case of a man under arrest for torture and entrapment of young girls...and only a few weeks ago in an African Nation a 20 year old woman had her ears and lips cut off as a warning to her family.....my point? .....It is only a few sick individuals doing these gross things so we can't afford to say this sort of thing is "American"...because it doesn't represent the general.

There is no excuse for any of this type of behaviour....but to stero-type a crime like this to a country is only keeping the motion of segregation and hatred. IMO

BritneySpearsIsHot
May 7th, 2004, 09:15 PM
If ANY of the rumours are true, none of 'our' forces can then complain if any of 'our' troops get treated the same

vs1
May 7th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Reading this kind of stuff truly makes me sick to my stomach. I think I need to vomit now. :fiery:

hingis-seles
May 8th, 2004, 06:20 AM
:sad: It's all very sad (still unproven however).

The thing I think us "Sane" people have to remember is that these are individuals and not representive of a country of so many people. Torture is common place in many countries. Women in Iraq were humiliated by Saddam's sons for so many years...raped...killed and their fingers sent back in a box to their families.

A guy in Australia is going through court for enslaving a woman in his garrage for 3 years.....recently in Belgium they have had their own case of a man under arrest for torture and entrapment of young girls...and only a few weeks ago in an African Nation a 20 year old woman had her ears and lips cut off as a warning to her family.....my point? .....It is only a few sick individuals doing these gross things so we can't afford to say this sort of thing is "American"...because it doesn't represent the general.

There is no excuse for any of this type of behaviour....but to stero-type a crime like this to a country is only keeping the motion of segregation and hatred. IMO
But it is American. The reason being that it was officially condoned. All those other acts were by random people who lived in that country not by their respective governments.

September 11th was karma for everything the US did before. These idiots never learn. :fiery:

azza
May 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Pathetic :rolleyes:

Mattographer
May 8th, 2004, 09:15 AM
It would be better if US soldiers sent back to home and let them alone.

SpikeyAidanm
May 8th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Disgraceful.

Wigglytuff
May 8th, 2004, 11:25 PM
thats sick

Kirt12255
May 11th, 2004, 09:34 AM
But it is American. The reason being that it was officially condoned. All those other acts were by random people who lived in that country not by their respective governments.

September 11th was karma for everything the US did before. These idiots never learn. :fiery:
Sweetie.....when a government torture their people (pre-Iraq invasion)...would you rather no-one stepped in? At the end of the day...it's nothing to do with Karma...it's about the right to be treated as a human. Yes if it's true....these soldiers will be dealt with in the court of law......remember these few doing this are such a small percentage of the peace keepers there. The majority are administering blankets and providing health care which was in a non-existive state (Except for the rich).

To say that thousands of American People deserved to die on 9-11....proves you are uneducated or a hater of what it means to be humane....and that's the nicest way I can put that. IMO

"Sluggy"
May 11th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Whas up hingis-seles - ready for another argument..he he, just kidding. That is an offensive statement tough, that 'september 11 was karma, ie payback, for everything the US did before.

Hatred towards America goes back long before Sept. 11. there is nothing America could have done or could now do to stop people from hating the USA. When you are the undisputed superpower in the world, you are going to create a lot of natural enemies.

esquímaux
May 11th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Once again, the actions of a few affect the image of a whole :tape: :help: :o

*JR*
May 11th, 2004, 10:21 AM
if indeed it is karma, then perhaps everything that is happening to the tutsi's, the hutu's, what happened in kosovo, what is happening now in iraq, what happened in kuwait, the plight of the palestinians....the list goes on and on....perhaps it's all karma? and if this is so...then it all boils down to everyone getting what's coming to them, right?

in the end then...there will never be an end to these horrors. if it's all karma, that is.
Stop being so logical! :p