PDA

View Full Version : The Stepford Wives

tennisIlove09
May 7th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Nicole Kidman's new movie. It looks creepy. And Faith Hill is in it. I have no idea she wanted to act as well.

Can't wait to see it.

Jakeev
May 7th, 2004, 08:30 AM
I did not get that vibe when I saw the trailers. I know that I had read they wanted to make a different type of movie while not straying from the original. (which is a very creepy film)

From what I have seen in the trailor, they have made into a black comedy.

Tennisace
May 7th, 2004, 09:09 AM
I saw the trailer the other day while wathcing Mean Girls...and I was wondering to myself what will the "real" Stepford wives think lol :D

CC
May 7th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Having never seen the original, I was wondering to myself what the plot really was.

OUT!
May 7th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Having never seen the original, I was wondering to myself what the plot really was.I remember seeing this film when I was really young. From what I recollect, an all-American family move into a typical suburban town called Stepford. The mother of the family becomes very suspicious of this town, as she notices that all of the wives are dedicated homemakers and uncritically take their husbands opinions and requests for granted, and further, seem to have no personal aspirations outside the domestic lifestyle. Do you want me to go on because I don't want to spoil the movie for you? But yes, as somebody else stated, as the plot develops, things become very sinister and the Stepford wives are...*gagged*

CC
May 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM
I remember seeing this film when I was really young. From what I recollect, an all-American family move into a typical suburban town called Stepford. The mother of the family becomes very suspicious of this town, as she notices that all of the wives are dedicated homemakers and uncritically take their husbands opinions and requests for granted, and further, seem to have no personal aspirations outside the domestic lifestyle. Do you want me to go on because I don't want to spoil the movie for you? But yes, as somebody else stated, as the plot develops, things become very sinister and the Stepford wives are...*gagged*
Yes, all that was pretty clear. And similarly, that's where the trailer kind of left it. Based on the idea of it being sinister and creepy I'd go see it, but I don't think the trailer conveys that effect very well. It just gives you the feeling that all the wives are the same bland, perfect, robotic beings and this new wife discovers this and is shocked, confused, and out of place. Which kinda made me think, and then?

But as I said, if it promises to further develop into "creepy and sinister" I'm all for it. :devil:

OUT!
May 7th, 2004, 04:33 PM
It just gives you the feeling that all the wives are the same bland, perfect, robotic beings and this new wife discovers this and is shocked, confused, and out of place. Which kinda made me think, and then?

PREFACE: If you don't want to know the ending (of the original), then don't read on ;) :)

Yes this was the key to the first movie. I really liked it. I remember Germaine Greer was heavily critical of the film as she intrepretred it as a feminist backlash, but I digress.

Original ending From what I remember, what made it all really sinister was the fact that the men/husbands of Stepford wanted these 'perfect wives.' So the wives that they married were murdered when moving to Stepford, replaced by these robotic women who were subservient and whose only purpose in life was to satisfy her husband, always appear happy and content, and raise her family. LOL sorry about the many 'ands'.

CC
May 7th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Oh God, you've completely ruined it! :eek:

:lol:

I think I'll still watch for Nicole. :cool:

emptyhead
May 7th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Why do they insist on remaking classic movies? The only thing that changes is the special effects have been updated, but less substance.

OUT!
May 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Oh God, you've completely ruined it! :eek:

:lol:

I think I'll still watch for Nicole. :cool::o Oh gosh, that preface wasn't enough, lol.

CC
May 8th, 2004, 12:18 AM
No, I saw it, thought about not reading it twice, then decided to go ahead and do it.

Martian Willow
May 8th, 2004, 02:12 AM
Why do they insist on remaking classic movies? The only thing that changes is the special effects have been updated, but less substance.

...because it's cheaper and easier than making new ones, and people will lap up any old crap anyway... :)

LiliaLee-Frazier
May 8th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Nicole Kidman's new movie. It looks creepy. And Faith Hill is in it. I have no idea she wanted to act as well.

Can't wait to see it. I am sooooo looking forward to this film!!!! Bette Midler has never looked better! She must have loaded up on the botox before filming!!! Sexy and slim at 57!!! :hearts: :kiss: