PDA

View Full Version : America: Land of Censorship

Wigglytuff
May 5th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Report: Disney Blocking Anti-Bush Documentary

2 hours, 15 minutes ago

Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar-winning filmmaker Michael Moore's documentary linking President Bush (news - web sites) with powerful Saudi families, including that of Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), is stirring up controversy even before its release.

Reuters Photo

That's if it even gets released.

Hollywood trade paper Daily Variety said in its Wednesday edition that Walt Disney Co. has moved to prevent its Miramax Films unit from distributing "Fahrenheit 911."

The Disney edict could herald the bloodiest political battle yet between Miramax's feisty co-chairman Harvey Weinstein and Disney CEO Michael Eisner, who oversaw the purchase of Miramax a decade ago, Daily Variety said.

"Fahrenheit 911," Moore's follow-up to his Academy Award-winning film "Bowling for Columbine, will still premiere in competition at the Cannes Film Festival (news - web sites) in France later this month. Rumors had been circulating of a July release date in North America, but the film does not appear on Miramax's summer schedule, the paper said.

It quoted a Miramax spokesman as saying that the company was "looking forward to resolving this amicably."

Officials from Miramax and Disney were not immediately available for comment on the report.

-------------

i knew he was making this movie, but i will be shocked if it gets released, hell even if it does, theathers that play it will likely be black listed. the land of the free my ass.

wongqks
May 5th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Yep, very hypocritical that in america where many people complain about censrorship in some other country, they actually do it themselves

ptkten
May 5th, 2004, 05:50 PM
:rolleyes: ...just because a private company won't distribute the movie doesn't mean that it can't be shown, it will either get resolved or another company will distribute it. It's much different than other countries where the government censors things.

I don't get people with the American bashing lately.

Nevertheless, I agree Disney is being really political here and should not stop movies from being distributed just because they don't agree with the message.

Wigglytuff
May 5th, 2004, 06:07 PM
:rolleyes: ...just because a private company won't distribute the movie doesn't mean that it can't be shown, it will either get resolved or another company will distribute it. It's much different than other countries where the government censors things.

I don't get people with the American bashing lately.

Nevertheless, I agree Disney is being really political here and should not stop movies from being distributed just because they don't agree with the message.

1- disney is a public company, its different than a private company.

2- the government does routenly censor things here in the states (coverage of the war in iraq for example).

3- its not bashing its point out a hypocrisy.

4- yes disney is been a politcal and it bites because the point of this movie is to release it in time for the elections. and thier stalling might affect its release dates.

Wigglytuff
May 5th, 2004, 06:11 PM
How is it censorship?

And if "Fahrenheit 911" has as much innacurate facts as "Bowling for Columbine", I understand them.

what are you talking about? did you even see bowling for columbine? it was less and collection of "fact" that a guided discussion with the interview saying that they felt.

in fact the only hard numbers i remember listed where the number of people killed in varies nations in a year. and those were on point and can easily be backed up. now it has been some time since i last saw this film so feel free to enlighten us and give supporting data with links and bibliography.

gentenaire
May 5th, 2004, 06:11 PM
How is it censorship?

And if "Fahrenheit 911" has as much innacurate facts as "Bowling for Columbine", I understand them.

Then they should ban all newspapers since they all contain plenty of inaccurate facts as well.

harloo
May 5th, 2004, 06:14 PM
It's getting pretty bad in this country when folks go after Oprah Winfrey having a discussion on teen sex. The FCC is on her back about the whole situation, and when has Oprah ever been indecent on her show?

Anyways, Moore is a bit demented but his movie should be distributed by Miramax. I think the way the government is starting to control what we see and hear is frightening. In the land of the free we don't want to end up like the situation in Russia where Putin has silenced the media. Now thats scary, and I'm afraid this country is headed towards that direction.

Wigglytuff
May 5th, 2004, 06:24 PM
It's getting pretty bad in this country when folks go after Oprah Winfrey having a discussion on teen sex. The FCC is on her back about the whole situation, and when has Oprah ever been indecent on her show?

Anyways, Moore is a bit demented but his movie should be distributed by Miramax. I think the way the government is starting to control what we see and hear is frightening. In the land of the free we don't want to end up like the situation in Russia where Putin has silenced the media. Now thats scary, and I'm afraid this country is headed towards that direction.

what happened to Oprah? i heard about the beef thing years ago but this is news to me?

ptkten
May 6th, 2004, 05:42 AM
I just heard Disney's reason for not wanting to release the movie, they want to get tax incentives from none other than President Bush's brother, Jeb, the Governor of Florida :lol:

The plot thickens...

In the end, this will be good for Michael Moore because he'll get a lot of publicity for the film. I agree, he's a little over the edge, but we need someone on the liberal side to counter the loonies like Ann Coulter :rolleyes: