PDA

View Full Version : Which tennis players are jokes?

alwayshingis
May 5th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Which players, if any (if you want to take the 'they're all better then us so give them a break' route) do you think are jokes and have no business playing professional tennis and probably just made a bad career move becuase they will never have any manner of success?

Foot_Fault
May 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Which players, if any (if you want to take the 'they're all better then us so give them a break' route) do you think are jokes and have no business playing professional tennis and probably just made a bad career move becuase they will never have any manner of success?
YO MOMMA!:tape:

:lol:

Ballbuster
May 5th, 2004, 03:29 AM
:YO MOMMA!:tape:

:lol:

haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Stamp Paid
May 5th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Jelena Dokic, Anna Kournikova, Alexandra Stevenson :fiery::fiery:& Daniela Hantuchova:lol:

esquímaux
May 5th, 2004, 03:49 AM
I don't think ANY player is a joke, but it's funny how Koulikovskaya hits with two forehands :lol: :eek:

¤CharlDa¤
May 5th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Well everyone can say Nancy Loeffler-Caro, and in that case, you can't use the * she is better than you* argument :tape:

davenport_1
May 5th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Stevenson!!!!

Famu_lady
May 5th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot_Fault
YO MOMMA!

:haha:

- L i n a -
May 5th, 2004, 04:02 AM
It's all relative, for some people Stevenson and Kournikova are a joke, and they are better than most WTA players.

To me, Tanasugarn is a bit of a joke. The fact that she can't win a match on clay proves it.

Pratt also. I respect her, but I mean, I saw her play against Jeyaseelan and it was terrible to watch.
No player is really a joke...

Even someone like Stevenson has tons of talent, and at least puts some effort behind it.

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Even someone like Stevenson has tons of talent, and at least puts some effort behind it.
I'm sorry, but given Alex's results this year, I must disagree. I don't think she's putting ANY effort into her tennis these days. I wouldn't call her a joke (I reserve that distinction for Kournikova and Kournikova alone), but it's clear that her heart isn't in it right now. ;)

- L i n a -
May 5th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Even Princess Maria?
Just because I want to stab her with a fork, doesn't mean I think she's a joke.

I'm sorry, but given Alex's results this year, I must disagree. I don't think she's putting ANY effort into her tennis these days. I wouldn't call her a joke (I reserve that distinction for Kournikova and Kournikova alone), but it's clear that her heart isn't in it right now.
But, she at least does practice... even if it's 99% serves. :p

esquímaux
May 5th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Just because I want to stab her with a fork, doesn't mean I think she's a joke.

But, she at least does practice... even if it's 99% serves. :p
:p

Volcana
May 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Jelena Dokic, Anna Kournikova, Alexandra Stevenson :fiery::fiery:& Daniela Hantuchova:lol:
You just named four players who made the top twenty at some point in their careers. Three made the top ten. Two the top five. At one point in their professional careers, all four were, at some point, measurably better than 98.2% of the players on the tour.

Let's see. The thread asked for players who "made a bad career move becuase they will never have any manner of success?".

Wow. Ranked ahead of 98.2% of the tour. That's your idea of 'never have any manner of success.'

You do realize that without 98.2% of the tour, the tour would consist of 17 players. Pretty hard to get 128 players in a GS with only 17 players to choose from. And, shockingly, most of the tour considers it a great success to even get INTO a GS tournament.

You have exceedingly high standards.

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2004, 05:22 AM
You just named four players who made the top twenty at some point in their careers. Three made the top ten. Two the top five. At one point in their professional careers, all four were, at some point, measurably better than 98.2% of the players on the tour.

Let's see. The thread asked for players who "made a bad career move becuase they will never have any manner of success?".

Wow. Ranked ahead of 98.2% of the tour. That's your idea of 'never have any manner of success.'

You do realize that without 98.2% of the tour, the tour would consist of 17 players. Pretty hard to get 128 players in a GS with only 17 players to choose from. And, shockingly, most of the tour considers it a great success to even get INTO a GS tournament.

You are absolutely right, Volcana. There are currently 1,200 women ranked on the WTA Tour computer, so everyone from Justine Henin-Hardenne to Adriana Serra Zanetti is in the top 10 percent of their profession. Forget about playing in a major; just to make the Q-draw in ANY professional tournament is quite an accomplishment. Having said that, though, I still think Kournikova is a joke. ;)

azza
May 5th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Stevenson,Ally Baker,Bei Bielik (she makes the 3rd round of USO and think shes queen shit)

New
May 5th, 2004, 05:54 AM
To me, Tanasugarn is a bit of a joke. The fact that she can't win a match on clay proves it.

Let me say again....

2003-34; 2002-28; 2001-29; 2000-29; 1999-72; 1998-37; 1997-46

6 years in the top 50...i think that's quite consistent... and...

4th round from 1998-2002 in wimbledon... pretty consistent..i'm waiting for a good clay result from tanasugarn though... but she also avoids playing clay... this year she did not play in warsaw and berlin... not too sure about rome though

at least she reached 3rd round in 2002 roland garros and 2002 was her best year... i think confidence had to do with the games players play...if she can reach 3rd round roland garros it's most likely due to the fact that she reached 2 finals in 2002 before roland garros...

i think most players's loss or decline is due to lack of confidence... look at roddick and srichaphan on clay( i know it's atp) roddick can win houston but struggle with europe clay. after monte carlo's final run for schuettler he started to win matches again...

most players are down due to confidence... i remember schett was pretty good, so was dokic and hantuchova but they have lost faith in their winning ways... was hantuchova not on the rise rapidly after her win in indian wells? if you keep losing... you'll be nervous in all matches...venus also had to struggle for a while before she found an outstanding rhythm and is quite unstoppable now...

- L i n a -
May 5th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Stevenson,Ally Baker,Bei Bielik (she makes the 3rd round of USO and think shes queen shit)
I forgot about Bea...

One could make a legitimate case to put her on here. :p

SpikeyAidanm
May 5th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Rebecca Turner, but at least she's :hearts: + Bagel girls.

bmxbandit
May 5th, 2004, 06:48 AM

:worship:

Jeff
May 5th, 2004, 07:37 AM
None of the pro level players are a joke. Face it, if they shouldn't be there, they wouldn't. The competition to be a pro athlete is tremendous, and even though they aren't living up to their talent...aka Stevenson, they still had to work their @ss off to be where they are now and are obviously talented. What's a joke, though, is that they waste the talent they do have and refuse to do anything effective to get better.

Jakeev
May 5th, 2004, 09:46 AM
The only person that I could ever consider had been the biggest laughing stock in tennis, and based on her much hyped media blitz was Monique Viele.

And where is she now?

SpikeyAidanm
May 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM
She was playing Challengers last year.

It's funny cos I saw Golovin and Sharapova in mag's when they were 9 and 10, they delivered and Viele got this whole article on her, and she's never won a MD match :o

jonny84
May 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM

And she became the first person to qualify for Wimbledon and reach the semi-finals! That is impressive!

"Sluggy"
May 5th, 2004, 11:40 AM
With so many interesting and nice aspects of tennis, is 'who is a joke thread' really necessary? For once, and I hate to agree with Ballbuster, I say Its 'yo Moma'!

Mr_Molik
May 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
im not saying that she doesnt deserve to be out there or anything, but elena tatarkova's game is very outdated

Mr_Molik
May 5th, 2004, 11:46 AM
She was playing Challengers last year.

It's funny cos I saw Golovin and Sharapova in mag's when they were 9 and 10, they delivered and Viele got this whole article on her, and she's never won a MD match :o

whats happening with viele? i remember reading an article on her and she said she wanted to be the greatest ever person to play tennis, greater than pete sampras :tape:

wipeout
May 5th, 2004, 11:56 AM
I'd also add to the good points Volcana made, according to the WTA website:

Dokic has earned $3,628,306 by age 21
Kournikova has earned $3,584,662 by age 22
Hantuchova has earned $2,188,703 by age 21
Stevenson has earned $1,244,905 by age 23

And that's not including endorsements, etc... that's just on the court. :eek:

Even with the form slumps and injuries those women have had, it's difficult to call anything a "bad career move" to be a multi-millionaire by your late teens/early twenties... ;)

I wouldn't call any player a joke. :)

Some do have moments of madness that are funny though. :tape:

sarza
May 5th, 2004, 02:39 PM
i wouldnt call any of the players a joke, coz lets face it there all doing what most of us would love to do, just some better than others thats all :)

space_eef03
May 5th, 2004, 02:47 PM
i wouldnt call any of the players a joke, coz lets face it there all doing what most of us would love to do, just some better than others thats all :)
Amen.