PDA

View Full Version : New tournaments added in September

monster
May 4th, 2004, 11:35 PM
I just read this weeks notes and netcords and noticed some additions to the calender
WEEK 20 Sept
Beijing
NEW Bangalore (111)

WEEK 27 Sept
Hasselt (already announced)
NEW Guangzhou (111)
NEW Seoul (1V)

It also seems Tashkent has moved to the week of 11 Oct- same as Moscow.
I thought it was the week of 27 sept. It makes sense to have it at that time, in so far as it would have meant playing ni Eastern Asia, then to Central Asia and then back to Eastern Asia again.

Tashkent and Bratislava are now both Tier 1V.

Very exiting to have some new tournaments.Odd to have 3 tournaments in the same week. Aslo think it id v odd that Pattaya City couldn't be incorporated into the 'Asian' tour.

With the tour pushing for a shorter season and in particular the pressure Australia to start later (at the end of the day- it is a gRand Slam)- I do not understand why the end of the season is not pushed 1 or 2 weeks earlier which would allow still only 1 Tier 1/2 event per week. I

Also- why not have Bangalore or another asian event the week before Hyperdad so that their is an central asian tour non stop in Feb?

Jackson.
May 4th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Another Indian Event :eek:

Nice selections though :D :worship:

LiliaLee-Frazier
May 5th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Its nice to see Korea finally get there own tourney! :D :bounce: :kiss:

rated_next
May 5th, 2004, 02:02 AM
:) :) :) :) :)

charmedRic
May 5th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Very Cool Spots, good to see the tournament growth.

AjdeNate!
May 5th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Wow - such diversity in cities! Good call WTA! :yeah:
But, now let's add Chicago back on the schedule, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PatM04
May 5th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Way to go WTA! Nice to seem the schedule becomming more and more diverse!

TheBoiledEgg
May 5th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Tashkent same week as Moscow :fiery:
dont like it :( ; only gonna affect a few of the Russian girls but still it would have been nice to play both, not an option anymore :fiery:

Bangalore...... nice :)

ptkten
May 5th, 2004, 03:16 AM
What I don't like about it is that they are putting two Asian tournaments the same week, which will significantly weaken their fields and they put Tashkent the same week as Moscow when they would have some of the same field.

Sadka
May 5th, 2004, 06:42 AM
yes more asian event :D :worship:
good move wta :kiss:

monster
May 5th, 2004, 06:48 AM
i agree cool canuck

sylvain
May 5th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Nice i hear that there is new tournaments. But it is a little bit odd to put 2 tournaments in asia the same week.

azza
May 5th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Yay. Joy. Happiness. :yawn:

Sammm
May 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM
This year?

spiceboy
May 6th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Interesting places to have Tier III (Bangalore and Guangzhou)... I wonder how many spectators will attend :o And which players will play.

Because I remember in Asia there was a tournement with 0 (no, it's not a joke) spectator Monday.
Certainly that tournament wasn't in India...they seem to love tennis as events there are so packed even at $10K level :o :worship:

spiceboy
May 6th, 2004, 12:05 AM
What I don't like about it is that they are putting two Asian tournaments the same week, which will significantly weaken their fields and they put Tashkent the same week as Moscow when they would have some of the same field.
I think this would only affect a few players as Tashkent draw is always sooooo weak while Moscow is a Tier I, players wouldn't have been the same anyway...

Knizzle
May 6th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Venus said she may go back to China this year, but she doesn't know what city yet. I hope it is to go and play Beijing!!

croat123
May 6th, 2004, 12:18 AM
now croatia still needs a tournament :fiery:

fammmmedspin
May 6th, 2004, 01:13 AM
:) Globalisation marches on. First you get an 8% growth rate then you get another tournament. Makes you wonder what will be there by the time Sharapova turns 30.

Vut
May 6th, 2004, 09:33 AM
More Asian Tournament with Tier 3 and 4 ... it's good for asian players :hearts:
But only Thailand WTA Tour " Volvo Women Open " in Pattaya still Tier 5 ... :mad:

Mattographer
May 6th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Grr! :fiery: I have to change my FWTT schedule for Bryanne Applegate :rolleyes: :p

Pamela Shriver
May 6th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Where's the Baltimore 'Pam Shriver Memorial' Tier 500 event???!!??

salima
May 6th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Tashkent same week as Moscow :fiery:
dont like it :( ; only gonna affect a few of the Russian girls but still it would have been nice to play both, not an option anymore :fiery:

Bangalore...... nice :)

This does not seems wise, perhaps it will open for more Asian players, but te Russian girls has been important both on and off court in Tashkent in the previous years.

Ballbuster
May 6th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I doubt the Williams would go there. They must come up with some HUGE appearance fees. The flight alone will cost them dearly.

St.Sebastian
May 6th, 2004, 12:36 PM

I heard WTA is rescheduling the Tour again and it will be played the same week as Wimbledon :p

Pamela Shriver
May 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM
I heard WTA is rescheduling the Tour again and it will be played the same week as Wimbledon :p
It should *replace* wimbledon. It could be called Pambledon. I'm more important after all.

Rollo
May 6th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Memorial events are only for the dead Pammers-the WTA was planning a 10K event on grass, but they cancelled when they realized you were still alive.

Chunchun
May 6th, 2004, 02:16 PM
really a new tour in GUANGZHOU!?!?!?
so excited for me!

monster
May 7th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Any other calender news?

I read earlier that Leipzig is definetly gone. I have also read numerous threads on this board regarding an uncertain future for:
Estoril
Moscow
Linz
Warsaw
And more so in the past for Casablanca, Bratislava and Tashkent
Does anyone have any news on any of these tournies future in 2005? Maybe from local news sources??

Any news on any other cities taking up an event in 2005?

I know Sarasota was disappointed it couldn't stay on in 2004 and was hoping to be back in 2005. (I don't know why it couldn't have been the same week as Warsaw and Budapest could have been the same week as Berlin)

I know it must be hard with National tennis associations, government and TV rights but I would have through the calander could be so much better streamlined- and if the players want it so badly- it could also be made shorter