PDA

View Full Version : Anca Barna angry at German Open scheduling

GoDominique
May 5th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Articles (in German)

http://de.sports.yahoo.com/040504/226/40kqo.html
http://de.sports.yahoo.com/040504/8/40kon.html

Here's what she said:

"Ich hatte das sichere Gefühl, dass man uns hier so schnell wie möglich los sein wollte. Keine andere Spielerin außer Julia und mir musste an beiden ersten Tagen spielen. In anderen Ländern werden die einheimischen Teilnehmerinnen geschützt, treten manchmal erst am Mittwoch an, um sie so lange wie möglich im Turnier zu halten. Das zeigt doch wieder einmal, dass der Deutsche Tennis Bund nicht für seine Spielerinnen eintritt."

"Wenn die Veranstalter einen so schnell los werden wollen wie möglich, ist das schon sehr bitter. Ich hätte nach dem harten Match vom Montag nie damit gerechnet, wieder angesetzt zu werden. Der DTB setzt sich zu wenig für seine Spieler ein und sollte uns mehr schützen."

Anca is angry because she can't understand why her 2nd round match against Petrova was scheduled for today - for several reasons:
- she had an exhausting 3 hours match yesterday and had asked for a day off.
- her match and Julia Schruff's against Capriati were the only 2nd round matches that were already played on Tuesday.
- with this scheduling it was likely that all German players would be out after the 2nd day, which is what happened.

Because of this Anca has the feeling that the organisers wanted the German players out of the tournament as soon as possible, and the DTB does nothing to support its players. And she says that something like this would not happen in other countries.

Anca has my full support here, and not only because I like her.
It's really a shame that she had to play today, that was just cruel. Of course her chances against Petrova were slim, but with this schedule they were non-existent.
And Wednesday will most likely be the day with the biggest attendance, so all those people will see the schedule, notice "no Germans" and say "they suck", which is partly true of course, but with one German playing on Wednesday it would have looked a bit better.

Another case of bad treatme towards Anca who remains the step-child of the DTB. :fiery:

St.Sebastian
May 5th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Anyway, she shouldn't expect any special treatment just because she is German. And still - a top athlete should be able to play 2 good matches in 2 days...

Hantuchov
May 5th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Poor Anca :sad:

She also has my support!

But GoDominique, :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: @ your sig

Sorry :rolleyes:

GoDominique
May 5th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Anyway, she shouldn't expect any special treatment just because she is German. And still - a top athlete should be able to play 2 good matches in 2 days...
She GOT special treatment because she is German, but it was AGAINST her.

There was no reason to put her on today.

PointBlank
May 5th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Anca :rocker2:

PointBlank
May 5th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Everyone from the country in which the tournament is held always gets special treatment.

switz
May 5th, 2004, 12:57 AM
i felt sorry for barna last year but now i'm just starting think she's a whinger. sure they probably could have been a bit more accomodating, but wasn't this the same tournament that she blasted last year? i think she just needs to focus on her own game rather to spending so much time complaining about others not helping her to win.

Rtael
May 5th, 2004, 02:08 AM
i felt sorry for barna last year but now i'm just starting think she's a whinger. sure they probably could have been a bit more accomodating, but wasn't this the same tournament that she blasted last year? i think she just needs to focus on her own game rather to spending so much time complaining about others not helping her to win.
Your posts would be much more convincing if you learned to spell correctly.

WF4EVER
May 5th, 2004, 02:37 AM
i felt sorry for barna last year but now i'm just starting think she's a whiner. sure they probably could have been a bit more accomodating, but wasn't this the same tournament that she blasted last year? i think she just needs to focus on her own game rather to spending so much time complaining about others not helping her to win.
I totally agree with you. I thought the same thing when I read the article; she's just whining.

Scheduling of this nature is quite normal for players who don't have a bye. Qualifiers really have it tough having to make it through qualifying and then if they're lucky enough to get in the maindraw they often don't go far enough because they're had it really tough.

Barna did not have to go through qualifying so one match exhausts her already? Too bad. She should not be blaming her loss on scheduling so early in a tournament; it's just sour grapes, IMO.

Vicky88
May 5th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Have to agree that it is standard for tournaments to give their home players special treatment. I don't understand why the German players were not given favourable scheduling as does happen in most other countries. One only has to think back to the US Open last year to recall that it is a regular occurence. I think Barna is within her rights to complain, and I don't think it is whinging. I classify it as having the balls to say what she thinks rather than being brow beaten into agreeing with everything her governing body has to say.

I classify whinging to be when players complain about not being given protection in a draw, as was the case with Dokic when she was playing for Australia. I don't call players speaking out about something they don't agree with, but is within the control of their tennis body as being whinging.

Havok
May 5th, 2004, 02:38 AM
:yawn:

BK4ever
May 5th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Barna is a WHINGER, she does it very well. I cant stand her...everytime I see her play, she is whinging about something :rolleyes:

slice
May 5th, 2004, 02:42 AM
she is true bout this not likely 2 happen in other countries... i no the australian tennis federation or wateva it is called would never put their players in such positions that anca was put in 2day... then again, she was the last match on centre court so she would've had more time to recover than if she was put on as the 1st match...

Martian Willow
May 5th, 2004, 02:46 AM

...best_post_ever... :)

Black Mamba.
May 5th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Anca Who? Just shut up and play, you play when you're scheduled to play. How about instead of whinning, focus on your game.

rated_next
May 5th, 2004, 03:00 AM
GoDom: Will Anca play in the Olympics?

switz
May 5th, 2004, 04:02 AM

yes because accidently leaving out a m and leaving a to just makes everything so confusing. i'll try to spend more time sub-editing my posts in future to accommodate for your lack of common sense. i'm not trying to convince anyone of anything either, it's just my opinion.

Rothes
May 5th, 2004, 04:06 AM
A grammatical era sends you into a state of confusion ? :o :o

switz
May 5th, 2004, 04:08 AM
and your (oops!!) on my ignore list now so i suggest you do the same to me so that we don't have to waste our time with these petty little arguments.

Ted of Teds Tennis
May 5th, 2004, 04:11 AM

No, but the era of the Neue Rechtschreibung in German does. I thought I knew all the German spelling rules, and then some %@$@$! committee decides to change them. :)

For me, anyhow, it'll always be »daß«. :D

switz
May 5th, 2004, 04:12 AM

i would suggest you just delete this post rothes because once you get on this guys bad side he'll drive you mad with his continuous bitchy little comments.

switz
May 5th, 2004, 04:15 AM
sorry if i offended any barna fans btw. i don't really know the whole situation so i probably shouldn't have called her a whinger.

Rothes
May 5th, 2004, 04:18 AM
i would suggest you just delete this post rothes because once you get on this guys bad side he'll drive you mad with his continuous bitchy little comments.
There just as easy to omit and disdain. :) How are you by the way :wavey:

switz
May 5th, 2004, 04:25 AM
There just as easy to omit and disdain. :) How are you by the way :wavey:

very busy with uni work and spending far too much time here (arguing with people worst of all). i actually have to go to uni now. speak to you later

Rothes
May 5th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Have Fun at Uni :wavey:

jacobruiz
May 5th, 2004, 04:34 AM
If she's a "whinger" she isn't the only on the tour.;)

Maybe Anca believes the German tennis federation has neglected her on

other occasions,not just at this tournement. But I can't believe they would

want their best female player to loose early! People would pay to see her if
she went deeper in the tournement.:confused:

GoSandrine
May 5th, 2004, 05:12 AM
...best_post_ever... :)
tough crowd :scared:

I can see both sides but ultimately I have to agree with GoD. There were other seeds that could have been played second round matches instead (Kim, Nastya). Nothing wrong with a little home favoritism so long as it doesn't get out of control.

go hingis
May 5th, 2004, 06:20 AM
IMO, They would be more likely to be scheduling the Germans early to get the crowds in and the viewers interested, not to have them out of the tournament fast, just doesn't seem logical.

oddkayla
May 5th, 2004, 07:10 AM
I do not know this story, but what does the German Tennis Federation owe this girl? My guess would be nothing so they are under no obligation.

What kind of player is she anyway who cannot play two matches in two days. Lord forbid there are rain delays and she has to play 2 matches in one day. Then I guess the Federation would be at fault for not instructing the rain gods.

Enough already. If you are a player you should be ready to play two days in a row whether you are in your own country or not. Every tennis player has played two and even more in a day.

GoDominique
May 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM
GoDom: Will Anca play in the Olympics?
I hope so. She eligible, but whether she will be nominated is another question. :rolleyes:

It's typical for the mentality on this board that everytime a player criticises something she's called a whiner, "she should play and shut up" etc. So you want her to swallow eveything and keep smiling even if she's being treated unfairly?

I can understand that some of you think Anca might be paranoid, but I would be that too when everytime you could need a bit of help from your federation, like WC's etc., you are denied.

And I mean, Anca DID play her match against Petrova. She still tried her best to win.
But it's tough when you had a match the day before that lasted more than 3 hours and where you had bad cramps.

And BK4ever, you are the biggest whinger on this board, so you should shut up about whinging. Thanks.

Rtael
May 5th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Cool Canuck

WF4EVER

Thank you, for the being the only people in this thread capable of spelling whiner (whining) right!

switz
May 5th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Cool Canuck

WF4EVER

Thank you, for the being the only people in this thread capable of spelling whiner (whining) right!

i couldn't resist the temption to read this post, and i'm so glad i did because it simply confirms my suspicion that you are an ignorant american (not all americans are ignorant btw). they are different words you fool, and since you're so big on expressing yourself perfectly i will also point out that unless barna made her comments with an annoying voice the word whinge is the more correct of the two.

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 5th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Well what did she expect? In order to win the tournament, you have to play 6 matches in 7 days? If she wants Tuesday off, then she'd be playing 5 days straight. You wouldn't be complaining about having a specific day off if you didn't believe you could win the tournament, as opposed to trying to reach a certain round.

And again, it was Petrova. She likely wasn't going to win in the first place. She would have had a much more plausible argument if she lost to someone like Randriantefy or Dokic;)