PDA

View Full Version : Schett hoping to improve

tennisIlove09
May 4th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Schett hoping to improve

http://www.wtafans.com/cgi/test/upload_pic/news/blank.gif

EUROSPORT

Former world number seven Barbara Schett knocked out Katarina Srebotnik of Slovenia 6-3 6-3 in the first round of the German Open on Tuesday. The Austrian spoke to Eurosport after her match of her motivation to improve upon her WTA Tour ranking this season.

"After my first round win I'm very motivated to improve my WTA-ranking.

At the moment

I'm on position 55, but I want to reach the top 20 again," said the 28-year-old.

The Innsbruck-born right-hander reached a career-high seventh over five weeks, between September and November 1999.

"For the next tournaments it'll be very difficult for me, because I've to defend a lot of points from the last year. But everything can happen."

The Austrian considers her strength to lie on the doubles court, where she has won nine titles, but appreciates the importance of singles play.

"All the players have fun (on the tour), but it's very difficult to play singles and win matches throughout a whole tournament. Because you have to concentrate in every match."

When asked whether she would be in Athens this summer, she beamed: "This year one of my favourite goals is to play in the Olympic Games in Athens.

"I want to play there, because it's the greatest thing for every sportsmen in the world to take part at an Olympics.

"For the first time WTA points will be awarded for every singles player. And so I would say it's an additional motivation for everybody."

Dava
May 4th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Nice to hear words like this from babsi, she can play very well when she puts her mind to it, but her form is so streaky atm. I hope she can play well here this week :D

jrm
May 4th, 2004, 11:18 PM
That's what we keep hearing ... but no results

cometz9
May 5th, 2004, 01:13 AM
That's what we keep hearing ... but no results

:lol:

Jackson.
May 5th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Babsi :hearts: :hug: