PDA

View Full Version : Will Reebok Have A Change of Heart Now That Venus Is Doing Well?

lizchris
May 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Now that she has for the most part regained her form and is playing very well, will Reebok now come to her and renegotiate the contract she had with them? Or will she go to another company like adidas?

RAA
May 4th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I was kind of wondering this myself...

Black Mamba.
May 4th, 2004, 08:11 PM
She can always go to Nike, but I think they'll work it out.

Legends
May 4th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Now that she has for the most part regained her form and is playing very well, will Reebok now come to her and renegotiate the contract she had with them? Or will she go to another company like adidas?I say no rush

Venus needs to put herself in a position where WHICHEVER company sponsors her needs her more than she needs them. That means a Slam or two. I personally would advise her not to re-negotiate until then. Venus loves being challenged and her position now should provide her with enough of one.

Slightly off topic: has anyone else noticed that Venus is adopting a visible business profile for the tour.

She is currently listed as helping launching the Whirlpool sponsorship in Berlin - no other player was mentioned- and in Dubai she was hob-nobbing with the championship executives. There is some serious stuff going on here and I for one am impressed, especially since the last time I checked she was ranked 11 not 1.

Does anyone know of any other players who have been roped in to provide such a profile for the tour- while they were active?

7~LV3
May 4th, 2004, 08:14 PM
she can go to Adidas too...

lizchris
May 4th, 2004, 08:17 PM
I say no rush

Venus needs to put herself in a position where WHICHEVER company sponsors her needs her more than she needs them. That means a Slam or two. I personally would advise her not to re-negotiate until then. Venus loves being challenged and her position now should provide her with enough of one.

Slightly off topic: has anyone else noticed that Venus is adopting a visible business profile for the tour.

She is currently listed as helping launching the Whirlpool sponsorship in Berlin - no other player was mentioned- and in Dubai she was hob-nobbing with the championship executives. There is some serious stuff going on here and I for one am impressed, especially since the last time I checked she was ranked 11 not 1.

Does anyone know of any other players who have been roped in to provide such a profile for the tour- while they were active?
Does that have something to do with her being on the player's council?

Nan Cu
May 4th, 2004, 08:22 PM
She is currently listed as helping launching the Whirlpool sponsorship in Berlin - no other layer was mentioned- and in Dubai she was hob-nobbing with the championship executives. There is some serious stuff going on here and I for one am impressed, especially since the last time I checked she was ranked 11 not 1.
Equally sensational was the "Get in Touch with your feminine side" commerical during Indian Wells. All the top players were featured except "the" top layer. Even Kim was in it.

TeeRexx
May 4th, 2004, 08:28 PM
"Slightly off topic: has anyone else noticed that Venus is adopting a visible business profile for the tour."

VENUS is apparently drumming up business for her interior design firm. :eek: :)

Legends
May 4th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Does that have something to do with her being on the player's council?
well see, i am not too sure that is the only reason.
1. she is not the only player on the council
2. she has been on the player council for a while and it seems to be recently this seaon that there has been this rise.

i am not sure she was not on the council under the previous chairman's/chief executive's, whatever the position, reign but there was not such a cordial relationship between them ( Indian wells200?/YEC 2001 injury investigation to name but a couple of high profile incidents)

i think it may something to do with change of management to some extent and the recognition of the need to leverage their stars. i am just surprised that Venus alone seems to be featuring since the beginning of the year. perhaps because of her involvment in the business world she recognises the benefits, perhaps she is the one most comfortable being in that position or perhaps she is on the only one the officials trust to know what to say and how to dress :lol: .

Legends
May 4th, 2004, 08:31 PM
"Slightly off topic: has anyone else noticed that Venus is adopting a visible business profile for the tour."

VENUS is apparently drumming up business for her interior design firm. :eek: :)

Yep there's also that too - smart girl:devil:

Seenus
May 4th, 2004, 08:38 PM
I believe that Venus is the most sophisticated and smartest player on and off the field in the top 50

Nan Cu
May 4th, 2004, 08:41 PM
i am just surprised that Venus alone seems to be featuring since the beginning of the year.
I remember reading about the the tour using it's top stars to promote itself, then seeing a picture of Venus and the current CEO alongside the article. I think she'shis fave.

Pureracket
May 4th, 2004, 08:52 PM
As far as the endorsements are concerned, I'm thinking that Reebok could pay her $5 a year, and she would still play. I honestly think that she is totally preoccupied with getting healthy and staying on the court and winning. She has enough money, and the endorsements @ this stage of her career may be deemed low priority.

CJ07
May 4th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Reebok will give Venus the $40 million if she wins FO and or Wimbledon

Legends
May 4th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I remember reading about the the tour using it's top stars to promote itself, then seeing a picture of Venus and the current CEO alongside the article. I think she'shis fave.
hmmm, you might have something there i do not recall that particular interview but vaguely remember one that was given by the larry guy at beginning of the year (around AO) he made a point of highlighting the fact that Venus and Serena were two seperate individuals. i forget what the gist of the interview was but the reporter was lumping them together, as per usual and in common with most other reporters, however, the larry scott was quite emphatic of the need to see each as an individual. perhaps stemming from his own experience.

anyway, if you are right it could still boil down to the fact that they have stuff in common - both Chief executives of business - and can therefore relate at the same level.

kudos to Venus
She should be (and probably is) taking the opportunity to learn as much as possible re: the business world and how things operate.:worship: :worship: :worship:

and yes i also think she is one of the smartest persons on the tour.:hearts:

Rocketta
May 4th, 2004, 09:54 PM
she can go to Adidas too...
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'm sorry that red shirt red skirt outfit is about the ugliest thing I've seen in person. First it looks a shade of orange in person and I don't know if that was because of wear and tear and washings or what but ewwww.

Also the best one is the black top and black skirt one that Patty wears...and even then with Patty's lefty walk she looked like she had an animal tail wagging behind her...;)

No addidas, please or Nike for that matter...:)

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Will Reebok Have A Change of Heart Now That Venus Is Doing Well?

No, because they seem to be phasing out tennis.No major company drops an endorser because their ranking drops while they're out for a few months with injuries.

CapFan#1
May 4th, 2004, 10:33 PM
I dont think that Reebok has dropped Vee, it is the time where her current contract is up and they are in the negotiating stage. They would be really stupid to not re-sign her. She is my pick to win Winmly this year, and Reebok should hitch their train to Vee's star while they can!!

Volcana
May 4th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Venus is far and away the best choice for the tour in terms of interacting with the people who write the big checks. Remember, we're mostly talking about rich, conservative men.

Venus is ...

beautiful
tall (I know that sounds stupid, but it really does matter in corporate interactions)
educated
well-spoken
religious, but not ostentatiously so
widely traveled (an advantage all tennis players have)
adult (a 17 year old has likely never been out on her own)
has a business of her own, and a non-sports business (so she has a shared interest with other business people)
is single, so after spending time on tour, she isn't instantly ready to run back to an S.O.
not outrageous (which Serena and Jenn, for example, are)
and, of course, she's one of the two biggest stars on the tour
Virtually any businessman interacting with a star in the WTA is going to see a child first. Most of the players are 30-40 years younger than the people on the boards of directors of corporations. I'm not saying sending Kim would be worse than useless, but a lot of these guys just wouldn't take her seriously.

To an extent, they won't take Venus seriously either. She's just too young. But in Venus, they also see someone with asprirations to be LIKE THEM. A business-person. There's nothing a 60 year old wealthy, straight man likes more than a young attractive woman who values the things he's good at, and who he knows ISN'T after his money.

Venus can say 'How did you turn your company from a niche player to an industry leader?' and the guys knows it's a serious question. But it's still a beautiful girl in front of him he gets to impress with his answer.

For the WTA's business purposes, Venus is straight out of Central Casting.

DUNEMAN
May 4th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'm sorry that red shirt red skirt outfit is about the ugliest thing I've seen in person. First it looks a shade of orange in person and I don't know if that was because of wear and tear and washings or what but ewwww.

Also the best one is the black top and black skirt one that Patty wears...and even then with Patty's lefty walk she looked like she had an animal tail wagging behind her...;)

No addidas, please or Nike for that matter...:)

:tape: I dont think Vee would be caught dead in the Addidas work uniforms. She may just have a soft spot for Rebok. I had a pair of Converse all Stars once that I could have sworn was alive and had its own personality. Been wearing converse ever since. :bounce:

akosijepoy
May 4th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Vee has been wearing Reebok since she was 14 y/o....I think Reebok should at least acknowledge that and pay Vee for wearing their brand...i mean she isn't getting anything now, but she is still wearing Reebok....that's loyalty....

Infiniti2001
May 4th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Vee has been wearing Reebok since she was 14 y/o....I think Reebok should at least acknowledge that and pay Vee for wearing their brand...i mean she isn't getting anything now, but she is still wearing Reebok....that's loyalty....

From the age of 12 :p

vettipooh
May 4th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I hope she turns down Reebok,and goes with Nike,like Serena.Or Puma,maybe?????

Havok
May 5th, 2004, 12:11 AM
She needs to stick with Reebok. She, along with Andy Roddick basically ARE Reebok in the tennis world:banana:

darrinbaker00
May 5th, 2004, 12:24 AM
I think we can rule adidas out simply because they're still giving large amounts of money to Martina Hingis and Anna Kournikova. If :worship: doesn't re-sign with Reebok, I think she'll continue to wear Diane von Furstenburg's designs under the V Starr label. ;)

Bright Red
May 5th, 2004, 12:31 AM
I don't know what the terms of the contract are, but chances are Venus signed off on them. I think Reebok will probably want to sign her again now that she's winning again. It's not being a fair-weather friend. It's just business.

Volcana
May 5th, 2004, 01:08 AM
If Venus wins Berlin, I'l bet SHE'LL initiate talks with Nike and Puma. As to who she'll actually sign with? It'll be whoever is best in position to help V-Starr.

Ohmygod. Imagine what the ratings would be for Venus as a designer on 'Trading Spaces'?

ico4498
May 5th, 2004, 01:40 AM
"Ohmygod. Imagine what the ratings would be for Venus as a designer on 'Trading Spaces'?"

lol ... rather see her on a reunion episode of "Designing Women" ... nah thats Serena. "Trading Spaces" ratings would soar.

Jarrett
May 5th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Nah, I would rather see her on Chaning Rooms. Their designs are far more classy. As for the inital question, I don't think they will resign Venus for some stupid reason. I just have the feeling for some reason. I hope they do though. The the design's venus does with them are the best in tennis ever. Not the most practical outfits (having to readjust during the points) but great looking otherwise.