PDA

View Full Version : A resurgence of Barbara Schett?

Gallofa
May 4th, 2004, 06:37 PM
After a really bad season in 2003, where she ended ranked No.79 and was struggling to make it to any 2nd rounds, she's been playing a bit better this year, particularly this spring, and has risen to No.55 in the rankings after making the 4th round at Indian Wells and QF at Estoril (and won the Fed Cup tie for Austria).

In Berlin, she just defeated Srebotnik, who is not at her best, but is someone that would had probably beat Barbara last year (and to the people that says Srebotnik can't play on clay, that's rubbish). Tomorrow she plays Paola Suarez, who I don't really see her beating, but can we expect to see some of the old Barbara back? (Not top10 but keep improving to maybe 30-ish in the rankings?)

"Sluggy"
May 4th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Oh i damn well hope so. I like Barbara. I met her and she seemed really nice. I hope she gets in a groove and keeps playing for a while.

Hantuchov
May 4th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I agree she's been playing a little bit better this year, of course she has. I remember last season, after her loss to Coetzer, in the Ausopen, we had to wait till Berlin (coincidence :p) for her 1st win, that was over Granville, and then she lost to Danielka :kiss:, but Dani now :sad:

Back to Babsi, I dont think she can beat Paola tomorrow, specially on clay, but if Babsi would keep her mind in the match and keep the ball in play, it can be a good match. I didnt expect Babsi would beat Paola in Indian Wells, now, the same...let's see if she surprises me, although I dont have much expectatives on her in this 2nd round battle.

But Goooo Babsi! :hearts: :bounce:

Hantuchov
May 4th, 2004, 06:47 PM
And about her ranking, mmm, I dont see Babsi back to Top 30, but I think she can reach the Top 40 till the end of this season. I pray for it! :bowdown:

jonny84
May 4th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Well - Barbara did beat Suarez earlier this year at Indian Wells - but that was on hard. Both plays are very competent on the clay - probably moreso Paola, but is should defo be a good match.
If Babs wins she will face Petrova!

jimbo mack
May 4th, 2004, 08:17 PM
i dont think she'll ever be top 10 again. :sad:

top 20 maybe.......... :)

Jippo McScally
May 4th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I hope so! I remember Barbara playing Hingis in Miami I think a few years ago, she pushed Hingis, she just couldnt win! (I think she lost 6-3 7-6).

Dava
May 4th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I hope she can have one good surge at the end of her career. Shes a player who i think could have done a lot more then she has done.

jrm
May 4th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I'm sorry to say but Srebotnik is in really shitty form therefore today's conviencing win by Babsi isn't all that great. In my humble opinion, she will be lucky if she gets in top 30 ... ever!

vogus
May 5th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Schett is playing a bit better than last year but she still has not done anything really impressive in singles in a long long time. Since she broke up with that guy (i think he was a Czech?) who had been her long-time coach and boyfriend, she has never been the same player. Her best win in '04 was beating a so-so Suarez on hardcourt at IW. Top 20 is IMO no longer reachable for her. If Schett can finish the year inside the Top 50 i think that would be a reasonable achievement on her part and keep her on the tour for another year.

Yonexforever
May 5th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I love it when Schett happens!!

ghosts
May 5th, 2004, 04:32 PM
I love it when Schett happens!!
:bounce:

emptyhead
May 5th, 2004, 06:12 PM
A few years back, I was wondering how on earth she had broke into the top10(maybe Im wrong) her game was so one dimensional and boring, then she started to grow on me and I started to believe I was wrong, she played Filderstadt that year, think she played Kournikova at the tournament (thats when Kournikova started serving like Julian Clary) and then I realised I was correct with my first opinion. For me she's just another one of those players going through the motions and making easy bucks!

strike86
May 5th, 2004, 06:21 PM
I hope Babsi can keep this up. I think she can be Top 20 but not Top 10, she's 28 now and a bit old and late to get back to Top 10.

St.Sebastian
May 5th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I remember US OPEN'99 when she was winning her matches quite easily. It was around the time she was 7th ranked, or something like that:

1 B Schett - T Almeda-Singian-Q 6-0 6-1
2 B Schett- A Svensson-Q 6-4 6-2
3 B Schett - V Ruano Pascual 6-1 6-0
4 B Schett - E Likhovtseva 6-0 6-1
QF V Williams(3) - B Schett 6-4 6-3

Strange that now she struggles out of top-50

Helas
May 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Paola Suarez - Schett 6:4, 6:3