PDA

View Full Version : Mary Is OUT of singles

educ00
May 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
And Mary lost yet another first round match. Rome next! We can do this Marie. It is a shame, she lost three tight sets, lack of match practice, not converting on important points, what is it?

She came back from behind in the second set, she was 2-5 and brought the set to 7-5. What a shame. Let's hope she has fun and goes deep with Arantxa.

Look up people, Mary has got to start winning tourneys again.

Declan
May 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM
This is SO depressing. Yes, I know Likhovtseva is a useful player, but she is not in Mary's league, is she? And now it's likely that Mary will once again be unseeded for Roland Garros. What happened to her good finish to last season and excellent start to this one?

morbidangle
May 4th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Ok this is disappointing! I mean, I always try to take positives out of Mary's losses, but this match, as close as it was, should've been won by Mary in straight sets.. she had a lapse at the start of the second set going down 4-0.. came back to level at 5-5. She should've won in two sets. Then in the third she had points to go up 4-1!
Now I know Mary was resting up for the clay season, but doesn't look like that was a great move, Mary needs match practice! She should've entered Warsaw after that loss to Morigami in FCC. C'mon Mary! Do well in Rome girl! We are all rooting for you!
Its soooo disappointing to see you lose like this!

Declan
May 4th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Ok this is disappointing! I mean, I always try to take positives out of Mary's losses, but this match, as close as it was, should've been won by Mary in straight sets.. she had a lapse at the start of the second set going down 4-0.. came back to level at 5-5. She should've won in two sets. Then in the third she had points to go up 4-1!
Now I know Mary was resting up for the clay season, but doesn't look like that was a great move, Mary needs match practice! She should've entered Warsaw after that loss to Morigami in FCC. C'mon Mary! Do well in Rome girl! We are all rooting for you!
Its soooo disappointing to see you lose like this!

Exactly! I too always try to take positives from Mary's losses, but I'm having trouble with this one, particularly as she had so many chances.

Tompier
May 4th, 2004, 08:36 PM
it is soooo depresing :sad: :sad: :sad:

sebbe
May 4th, 2004, 08:59 PM
for the first time in the long time I have fallowed Mary
I am getting quite irritated...what the hell is se doing out there??

Declan
May 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
for the first time in the long time I have fallowed Mary
I am getting quite irritated...what the hell is se doing out there??

I know what you mean, sebbe. This isn't like much of the past 4 years when she's been hampered by injury, or unable to get in shape because of injury-induced restrictions on training. She's fit, well, should be confident after her successes last year and at the start of this..and yet she's having a really dismal run. Did anyone see this match and have any insight? Or have heard or read any interviews that spread light on her mental state right now? I'm truly perplexed.

amnesiac
May 4th, 2004, 09:21 PM
mary in a good shape should win against elena!
i don`t know what i have to think about this match.
she had a lot of chances .. break points for 4:1 and a break point for 6:5!!!
next week in rome ... i don`t know but i think it will be the same.i hope not!!!
and i think she will not be seedet at rg!
it is sooo sad.
i wish her really good luck for her next tourn.
but she has to play more smaller tourn to get more matches.
the only positive thing about this match is that she was fighting till the end.
mary don`t give up.
i`ll still behind you.
best wishes

educ00
May 4th, 2004, 09:53 PM
I think we are all failing to see that this is the usual Mary that we are seeing right now. We always saw her like this, winning like this in random patterns. Mary was never consistent from tournament to tournament (perhaps only in 1995 and 1997). I am hoping Mary will prove me right next week in Rome. As long as I have followed Mary (from early 1995), I can remember Mary going quite deep in certain tournaments and falling early in others.
Mary, I think, due to the fact that she is not the strongest of players mentally, always needed to have that good number of tournaments a year in which to play at.

I am certain this is not the best preparation for hey play. She is definitely not planning tournaments strategically and I think remains quite scared of her physical condition. Understandably.

All in all, Mary is a champion. It is dreadful when one thinks it has been already 4 years since she won Roland Garros and we have barely seen her on the news or on court since. It is not easy to get over 4 years. If this had happened to any other more visible player, it would be a bit more publicized. I think many feel sorry for Mary now or just disregard her as a contender. The media do not even attack her and I used to think she was one of the hot shots of the WTA publicizing wise. There is no mention of her anywhere now.

I, however, still argue that if Mary was to play 4 single tournaments in the next 2 months, she would make the semis in at least one by July. If not, Mary's return is out of question for another year because her ranking will just send her to seek WC again.

It is trully sad. I miss her exhuberant game and seeing her winning. Really, I do.

Mark Spruce
May 5th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I am so sad for Mary esecially. I hope that soon that she can start to win.

I am trying to think positive for her. I think that Mary needs to play more. I think she needs the match practice. Lets also hope that she will play more doubles as well.

I am sure thinks will click into place. JUST BE POSITIVE

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!

KEEP THE FAITH

regards

Mark

ashwu
May 5th, 2004, 03:59 AM
well, that's a really frustrating lose... hope mary could keep her confidence~

good luck mary~

humanity
May 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM
well, that's a really frustrating lose... hope mary could keep her confidence~

good luck mary~

In true... What the hell is going on with Mary? If you take months to rest and shape your game, not playing Australia and two Tier I (Indian Wells and Miami), you should then have results. To lose in the first or second round, it was better to play a lot of tournaments. And Mary is losing due to the lack of matches. She should better have lost in the early rounds of IW and Miami, in order to getting to last stages of claycourt tournies now. I hope she takes the wise decision to ask for WC in Strasbourg or Wien... Not playing, or never playing, doesn't give points to the rankings, and it gives you the thoughest of draws... Now only a great showing in Rome would guarantee a seeding at Roland Garros. And a seedin at Wimbledon depends on the results at RG...

All the best to Pierce.

sebbe
May 5th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I agree what almost everybody say here...
Mary must play much more tournaments, smaller once because in
these big Tier 1 she almost everytime draw someone good and then she has to fight alot to win.

The swedish commentator said during mauresmo's match today that
Mary is this kind of player that has to play alot tournaments and
practise sooo much. She didn't have tennis in her from her birth, she
had to practise to be that good. So I really don't understand the
schedual she has fallow so far. I'm pretty sure that she won't do so well
in Roland Garros although I really hope she will.

Mark Spruce
May 6th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Totally agree with you what you both said SEBBE + HUMANITY. I hope that Mary will also play more doubles as that will help as well for sure.

regards

Mark

KEEP GOING MARY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE DA BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mamno_MARYFAN
May 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM
I agree what almost everybody say here...
Mary must play much more tournaments, smaller once because in
these big Tier 1 she almost everytime draw someone good and then she has to fight alot to win.

The swedish commentator said during mauresmo's match today that
Mary is this kind of player that has to play alot tournaments and
practise sooo much. She didn't have tennis in her from her birth, she
had to practise to be that good. So I really don't understand the
schedual she has fallow so far. I'm pretty sure that she won't do so well
in Roland Garros although I really hope she will.
Oh dear...this is disappointing...

I hope that we can take heart that Mary gave quite a good fight and nearly won in straight sets...after all Likhovseva pushed Serena to 3 sets in Miami this year....

And interesting point that sebbe made...Mary is the kind of player that needs to play a lot of matches to be able to get into top form....after all... Mary has never been strong mentally... and it does make u more and more comfortable on the court if u play more matches...

A commentator once described certain players like Sampras and Graf to be able to play great tennis in all kinds of situation...they can play a tennis match out of nowhere and simply put on a great form....whereas some players like Agassi cannot do that...he has to play a lot of matches to get into groove...and similarly agassi has a slump in the late 90s...and what he does is play and play matches untill he gets to form again...

So I think Mary does fall into the 2nd category....but then consistency has never been Mary's strong point...:o

Anyhow...I do hope that Mary stays strong...she has won big matches before and she will again...I'm sure of it...

MARY PLAY MORE MATCHES!!!!:bounce:

WE ARE ALL BEHIND YAA MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

GO MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

educ00
May 6th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I agreed with you in almost everything. Agassi's tennis skills are undisputable. His miscarriage in tennis during 1997-1998 has nothing to do with his ability - his talent is natural - it has to do with his mental stability and Brooke Shields per se.
I think Agassi's talent is comparable to Sampras' as one of tennis' great. Unfortunately, and as much as I adore Mary, she cannot fit in the same box than Serena, Navratilova, Venus, Graf, Hingis perhaps, Monica, and I do not event think that the belgians can be there either. They just play a lot of tourneys, the others are above belief.
Mary is a notch down. A practice player, and a fantastic champion. Mary is with some players like Davenport, Capriati, who had amazing careers and remain among the best. It is a shame now to see that Mary seem to have peaked early in her career rather than later.

Declan
May 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I agreed with you in almost everything. Agassi's tennis skills are undisputable. His miscarriage in tennis during 1997-1998 has nothing to do with his ability - his talent is natural - it has to do with his mental stability and Brooke Shields per se.
I think Agassi's talent is comparable to Sampras' as one of tennis' great. Unfortunately, and as much as I adore Mary, she cannot fit in the same box than Serena, Navratilova, Venus, Graf, Hingis perhaps, Monica, and I do not event think that the belgians can be there either. They just play a lot of tourneys, the others are above belief.
Mary is a notch down. A practice player, and a fantastic champion. Mary is with some players like Davenport, Capriati, who had amazing careers and remain among the best. It is a shame now to see that Mary seem to have peaked early in her career rather than later.

Not sure I quite agree with your last sentence. Don't forget Mary played the 2000 Wimbledon as third seed and World no.3 following her fantastic Roland Garros win, and during that same tournament she began her chain of injuries that wrecked the rest of that season and have plagued her career and training since. I often wonder where she would have gone if she'd stayed healthy and confident after the French 2000.....

mamno_MARYFAN
May 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Me too...

I'd always thought if only Mary hadn't got these injuries and carried the momentum throughout late 2000...I'm sure Mary would gave the Wlliams a run for their money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

LafandeMary
May 6th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I don't think Mary must play more tournaments, remember in 1997, she reaches the Australian open's final, whereas she was a long time injured in 1996!
And this year she reaches the open gaz de france final for her first tournament!

Mary is the kind of player who can win a tournament after bad results, like the 2000's french open (she lost the week before versus Di Natale...)

So yes I am dissapointed because Mary should have won this match, but don't worry for the future, I'm sure Mary will win some great matches very soon ;)

Go Mary I love you :hearts:

Justine

mamno_MARYFAN
May 6th, 2004, 07:21 PM
It is a shame now to see that Mary seem to have peaked early in her career rather than later.
I do hope that u are wrong....hopefully we will see another comeback of Mary soon!!!:cool:

But we must take a step at a time...first lets focus on having Mary winning more matches...

So I hope that Mary will continue to play tournaments...at least gave it a shot at 3, 4 tournaments at a row...maybe she'll get more into her better form

Go Mary!!!!!!!!:bounce:

educ00
May 6th, 2004, 08:27 PM
I really like the discussion that we started in this thread. What I mean to say by saying Mary peaked early in her career, is that when we look at the history of female players, Mary will be rendered as one of the great of 1990s and not post 2000. Mary, as you well argue, would have been an outstanding contender hadn't she gotten injured post Roland Garros 2000. Now, Mary is approaching the age of 30 and has battled injuries for 4 years now... FOUR!! And her career I think started to peak in 1993 or so. If you think about it, Mary peaked in Australia, and accumulated titles in her early years. Now, in the past 4, she has not obtained a single one. I really think that shows that due to injuries, in the long term, Mary's career suffered a setback a while ago.

I, however, remain hopeful to see her shine again and get another Australian Open or couple more tournaments. Still, I do think, either Mary wins a tourney in the next 6 months, or retiring will begin to be an issue for her.

Let's hope I am absolutely wrong.

sebbe
May 6th, 2004, 10:28 PM
I just know one thing and that is, Mary's career is
in danger if she dosn't starts to play better. I wonder how she
feels about this and her career when she looses these early
rounds. I'm afraid that she feels like all that work for her tennis
and body is to nothing.
And as someone mentioned, Mary is 29 and her end of career is
not that far away, so the time is short. Of course she can still be
playing till middle 30:s if she want but it doesn't feel like that
is Mary's style.

LafandeMary, I don't really think that you can compare Mary's injuries
1996 with these four years. She could have done the same thing if she didn't get all these injuries. But of course I hope that she can repeat that.

But I still believe that the right way for Mary to again become
a threat to the topplayers is to play more tournaments, play, play and play.
She said after Open Gaz that she was tired, but according to me she must push her to play more tournaments in a row. Of course if she feels like she will get injuried she has to take a break but if she doesn't play much, how can she then get into the top??

mamno_MARYFAN
May 8th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I agree...it has been 4 years since Mary has success on court...the last time she recovered from her slump was back in 1997...and that took her about one and a half year to recover...but this is 4 years already as educ00 have mentioned so i guess this is quite a worrying situation for Mary and us...:sad:

I dunno....but what still keep encouraging me is that Mary has matches lately where her wins are quite impressive...(remember Wimby 1st round last year...6-0 6-0 against a qualifier...and this year winning 6-1 6-2 against Shaugnessey)...so I guess Mary's form is still there...:angel:

So I guess all of us just have to keep praying for Mary's success...and hope that Mary will lift her chin up high and keep on playing!!!!:angel:

COME ON MARY!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: