PDA

View Full Version : Help with Blisters

Mrs. Peel
May 4th, 2004, 12:06 AM
I got a blister yesterday hiking for hours in the burning heat on my little toe. What do you usually do when you get one? It hasn't ruptured but it just looks weird! Should I just leave it alone? Will it go away? :sad: I want to go to the gym tonight but I don't want to make it worse!!!

OUT!
May 4th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Hello Mrs. Peel. I have suffered from blisters in the past. Here is an excerpt from a website and overall the website is very helpful. Hope this is okay :)

This is the advice given to me by the nursing sister at the Australian Institute of Sport - I follow it carefully and I have the best hands of any rower I know!
- "CioccaBella"

CARE OF ROWERS HANDS

Blisters

As soon as possible, prick blister with 2-3 holes (large enough that they won't close up again) and drain. Then dry out the blister with Betadine and/or Friar's Balsam (use more of these as soon as the yellow colour is gone). Also use antisptic, eg, Savlon.

Fingers: cover blister with Elastoplast bandaid (+ sportstape if necessary). Hands: cover area with Moleskin - cut to shape of hand, cover wound with gauze first, put strips of sportstape over the moleskin to keep on. Use Zoff to clean off dregs of bandages, etc. (doesn't affect wound).
Infected

Soak in warm salty water 2-3 times a day. Use Betadine and a protective dressing. If you get red patches on arms or underarms - SEE A DOCTOR!
Calluses

Trim calluses with a scalpel regularly - as close to normal skin line as possible.
To Toughen and Dry-out Skin

Salt Water Soaks: soak hands in mixture of cooking salt and water for a few minutes 2-3 times a day.
Alcohol rubbed into hands.
source: http://www.qra.org/training/blisters.html

alextreiber04
May 4th, 2004, 12:42 AM
And the most obvious one is take a break from whatever gave you blisters for a week.

Martian Willow
May 4th, 2004, 12:52 AM
...I squeeze them and squish them till they burst...though I am not suggesting that is the correct way to deal with them... :)

¤CharlDa¤
May 4th, 2004, 01:48 AM
I also had a blood blister this week and it exploded in my face while i hit a forehand :p

I played tennis with a cyclist glove yesterday :p

Mrs. Peel
May 4th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Hello Mrs. Peel. I have suffered from blisters in the past. Here is an excerpt from a website and overall the website is very helpful. Hope this is okay :)

This is the advice given to me by the nursing sister at the Australian Institute of Sport - I follow it carefully and I have the best hands of any rower I know!
- "CioccaBella"

CARE OF ROWERS HANDS

Blisters

As soon as possible, prick blister with 2-3 holes (large enough that they won't close up again) and drain. Then dry out the blister with Betadine and/or Friar's Balsam (use more of these as soon as the yellow colour is gone). Also use antisptic, eg, Savlon.

Fingers: cover blister with Elastoplast bandaid (+ sportstape if necessary). Hands: cover area with Moleskin - cut to shape of hand, cover wound with gauze first, put strips of sportstape over the moleskin to keep on. Use Zoff to clean off dregs of bandages, etc. (doesn't affect wound).
Infected

Soak in warm salty water 2-3 times a day. Use Betadine and a protective dressing. If you get red patches on arms or underarms - SEE A DOCTOR!
Calluses

Trim calluses with a scalpel regularly - as close to normal skin line as possible.
To Toughen and Dry-out Skin

Salt Water Soaks: soak hands in mixture of cooking salt and water for a few minutes 2-3 times a day.
Alcohol rubbed into hands.
source: http://www.qra.org/training/blisters.html
thank you darlin! I was just getting worried about it. Now I know what to do!

Mrs. Peel
May 4th, 2004, 02:16 AM
...I squeeze them and squish them till they burst...though I am not suggesting that is the correct way to deal with them... :)
:lol: :lol: This is what I wanted to do!! :devil: but I chickened out for fear of infection!

Mrs. Peel
May 4th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Thank you all for the advices! :hug:

caramel
May 4th, 2004, 07:18 AM
...I squeeze them and squish them till they burst...
I always do that when I have a blister. :devil: Actually I get these nasty things quite often from wearing way too tight and uncomfortable shoes. :sad: