PDA

View Full Version : Round table interview with Venus Williams(Berlin, 3 May 2004)

Infiniti2001
May 3rd, 2004, 07:55 PM
Question (Q): You have started playing really well. What is the difference compared to the last
months?
WILLIAMS: Oh, thank you. Maybe itís just to have the opportunity to go out there and play, and to
play more or less pain free. Iíve built the confidence in the game. It was tough at the beginning of
the year: I didnít have enough preparation time. When I was playing a match I was just
compromising my game. It is difficult to play when you are not fit enough. I guess the difference is
that I am healthy.
Q: Which one of the different injuries you had was the most difficult?
WILLIAMS: The leg was difficult because it just wasnít going away. Then, I turned my ankle a
couple of times. It was really frustrating. But I had a lot of good support. My sisters, my mum and
my dad were very positive: They always said I was playing well, even if I wasnít. So I thought I
just have to focus on the positive.
Q: Is it something you tend to do in your head, not to think positive?
WILLIAMS: I think I can do better. Itís not my strength to think positive, but it is important to be
positive and not to think what went wrong, what did I do wrong in the match. I got caught up in a
negative way of thinking.
Q: Did you also have a back injury?
WILLIAMS: Not, thank God. That wasnít on the list.
Q: How important was the win in Charleston?
WILLIAMS: It was important. I was able to play a lot of matches and to improve. It was good for
me.
Q: Did the feeling of winning boost your confidence?
WILLIAMS: Thatís an interesting question. I have won titles so many times, so I knew the feeling.
But it was good: I knew what I had to do in matches.
Q: Did you at times have the fear of not making it, of not getting back?
WILLIAMS: No. It was just a long way. But, I never felt that I wouldnít make it. I always had hope
that I would get through.
Q: Did you ever have doubts?
WILLIAMS: No, I never doubted it, but it was a long way and hard work.
Q: What strength did you take out of it?
WILLIAMS: The fact that I know I can do it. That I can regroup and have to focus on the future. It
is hard when you get negative on yourself.
Q: Now, itís two titles. Are you going for a bigger one?
WILLIAMS: Iíd love to. I wouldnít say No. But I have to deserve everything.
Q: Is there something you want to improve?
WILLIAMS: I will work a little more on my serve. Especially on my first serve. Iíll work on
staying calmer on the court because I get too excited. I need to calm down, look at the ball and hit it
and not get too excited about what I can do with it. I must not get ahead of myself.
Q: Youíve never one the German Open. What makes you optimistic?
WILLIAMS: Iíve only been here once and wasnít here long enough. But, I feel good, Iím moving
well. Iím feeling positive. I just have to stay positive.
Q: How are your chances at the French Open?
WILLIAMS: That seems a little bit away. It seems so far, but so close. I definitely want to play well
here and keep building my game. Do the right things, do what my mum says.
Q: What does she say?
WILLIAMS: All the right things. I donít attribute my mistakes to my coaches but to myself.
Q: How do you rate your game?
WILLIAMS: I am in a better mental state. I feel I understand the game better
Q: Do you think getting over all the setbacks has made you a stronger player?
WILLIAMS: I would have preferred not to have the setbacks, but Iíve never looked at it that way.
Q: Some of your rivals think that both you and Serena are good players, but when you are both at a
tournament you are twice as good as individuals?
WILLIAMS: I never thought about it that way. We definitely give each other a lot of support and
motivation. We have a lot of fun, but I never thought it has an effect if war are both in the draw.
Q: Was it important for Serena for you to get back. Is she not as strong without you?
WILLIAMS: We are both fighting for each other. But, I donít put pressure on her. She is an sdult
now.
Q: You have a lot of activities, you donít see as much of each other.
WILLIAMS: We both have tight schedules. We donít see each other as much as before. I think
Charleston was the last time. We went shopping together, laughed a lot. We had a great gime.
Q: Being away for a time, did you enjoy other things more?
WILLIAMS: At this point, I like tennis more than a lot of things. There are a lot of things to
explore, but I want to be best at tennis.
Q: What did you miss most?
WILLIAMS: There wasnít anything I missed too much. I think it was good in a way I was away. It
will maybe extend my career. Playing year in year out is a lot to ask of a person.
Q: Until when do you intend to play?
WILLIAMS: I am not limiting it. I like to think I know when itís time to go, but not now.
Q: Everyone in the top 10 was injured, it was not only you. Do you think there should be some
changes?
WILLIAMS: As regards the sport as a business: I think to get the public to know what the tour is,
the prestige of the titles and have it on TV. That would help.
As far a as the players: It is very demanding, itís a lot for one person. If itís on a team, itís a
different kind of pressure, I suppose. I just try to do my best all the time.
Q: You and your sister are supposed to go to Athens? There are discussions of the US not going?
WILLIAMS: I am expecting us to go. I havenít heard the discussions, I havenít been contacted. I
am not worried about it. The world is hard these days, but I expect them to have good security
measures to protect their athletes.
Q: Is it special for you to represent your country?
WILLIAMS: Yes, definitely. Hopefully this time I can do more than last time.
Q: From the 5 jobs you do you mentioned, what do you prefer?
WILLIAMS: Probably design. But I enjoy everything that I do. Not many people have the
opportunity to do what they like. So, it is a blessing.
Once I leave the court, I have a lot of things I consider my job. Then there is practice and also other
things. You need to find a balance
Q: Are you visiting some special places in Berlin?
WILLIAMS: I want to go to the zoo. Do they have popcorn?
Q: What are your favourite animals?
WILLIAMS: I donít really know. I donít like birds as much.
Q: Which zoos have you been to?
WILLIAMS: I was at the zoo in Warsaw. Then there was a tragedy in San Diego where I had a trip
to the zoo scheduled. Then there cancelled it. Of course, Iíve been to the zoos in Florida.
I donít know why I like the zoo: Maybe itís my inner child that likes zoo.

vs1
May 3rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
She is SO funny!! DO THEY HAVE POPCORN?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

GOOD LUCK IN BERLIN VENUS!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Venus Forever
May 3rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
She's so cute. :D

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2004, 10:00 PM
I love her, Good luck in Berlin...let's make it 3!

Sportfan
May 3rd, 2004, 10:02 PM
Nice interview

Freewoman33
May 3rd, 2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks for posting the interview.

azinna
May 3rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
Gotta love that inner child. it always comes out in her interviews somehow. Makes a body laugh. It must be a trip to hang with her. Rena and her sisters are blessed.

WilliamzX2
May 4th, 2004, 01:01 AM
great Interview Venus..you speak very well!

Chance
May 4th, 2004, 09:14 AM
thanks for posting the interview, infiniti2001.

Good interview.
But what are Vee's 5 jobs?

I liked how Vee handled injuries/changes to the tour question. However I don't understand how she can do better in Athens compared to Sydney.
I don't blame her for not liking birds...