PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Dokic: What the heck happened?

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 07:15 PM
Short of the fabulous WILLIAMS', I did not expect a player to be a success on the tour more than I did of Jelena Dokic, but my expectations have turned into a major disappointment as her career and life seem to be in a tail spin.

http://www.jelena-dokic.com/photos/gallery12/1105.jpg

Once a threat to be a multi slam winner, Jelena has not, in eight tournaments this year, been able to win more than two matches in any of them other than the tokyo event in which she reached the semis against Davenport, but was only able to win one game in that match.

This gifted player had the size, speed and agility to be a GS winner along with the added pluses of a model's look, a smaller, but SERENA like caboose and when she hit shots, it looked like she was cooling hot soup with those juicy lips. :eek: :kiss:

Dokic is playing in Berlin this week and if she can win her first two matches, she could possibly face Clijsters and we can then see what she has or doesn't have in her game at this time.

TR :cool:

maryjane
May 3rd, 2004, 07:27 PM
after more than a year playing in such way I think the end of this crisis won't be...

Dava
May 3rd, 2004, 07:30 PM
You know I dont know, there are many things which it could be. For a start I think that she started playing too much, and then when all the problems with her family started her game dipped. Also Dokic was what was always called a raw talents, but the rawness like with the Williams sisters is nurtured by their fathers. Perhaps Jelena getting a coach measn that she actually 'thinks' about whats shes doing rather then just going with the flow, which perhaps a father would have been more willing to let her do as he knew her game more.

You see this accross all sports, sometimes coaching isnt the best thing for a naturally talented athlete.

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 07:41 PM
You know I dont know, there are many things which it could be. For a start I think that she started playing too much, and then when all the problems with her family started her game dipped. Also Dokic was what was always called a raw talents, but the rawness like with the Williams sisters is nurtured by their fathers (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=26,21246650,wtaworld.com,0). Perhaps Jelena getting a coach measn that she actually 'thinks' about whats shes doing rather then just going with the flow, which perhaps a father would have been more willing to let her do as he knew her game more.

You see this accross all sports, sometimes coaching isnt the best thing for a naturally talented athlete.
Some good points. A 16 year old should not have to support her family and the pressure that Damir put on her and the entire family did not help in advancing the level of her game either.

It looks like there will be no upswing in in her career in the future, but hopefully she will have a a stable after tennis career life. :angel:

fried_beans
May 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Maybe the game has just passed her by. She has failed to improve and she needs to play out of her mind to beat anyone these days.

Havok
May 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
TeeRex = Where the fuck have you been for the past 2 years :retard:
Jelena's been shit ever since she lost to Bovina in the 2nd round of the US Open back in 2002. She had a nice run at Zurich this year, beating Rubin, Clijsters (#1 at the time) and destryong defending champ Schnyder 6-0, 6-3. She followed that up with a respectable QF showing at linz and losing to Ai, eventual champ, in 3 sets. other than that, she hasn't done much. It all depends on her if she wants to turn in around, but all she has to do is stop playing line a :retard: (AUS)

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Maybe the game has just passed her by. She has failed to improve and she needs to play out of her mind to beat anyone these days.
I would like to see her get her game together before it is to late.

davenport_1
May 3rd, 2004, 10:17 PM
She's basically a burn-out. She played too many events and her father, Damir, pushed her over the limit.

hewittrok
May 3rd, 2004, 10:22 PM
she looks like shes gone.

faboozadoo15
May 3rd, 2004, 10:26 PM
wow, im not that big of a fan, but i'm not giving her the proverbial boot just yet. every time she steps out on court, it's a new opportunity. seems she's trying very hard, and lately, she has finally admitted to being in a huge slump. i expect her to be back in the top 10 sometime, actually. high hopes for this one-- she's something special. she just needs to get more consistent, and even though she's drop dead gorgeous, she needs to get fitter. she doesn't have the court wherewithal of monica seles and needs to get quicker for her to stay balanced.

BK4ever
May 3rd, 2004, 10:28 PM
I wish she would fiqure out whats wrong because its a truly sad story. Their is no one who can question Jelena's talent, but she seems to have turned into a bitter washout...

sarza
May 3rd, 2004, 10:31 PM
it is very sad :sad: but lets hope she can find her game again soon :)

esquímaux
May 3rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
wow, im not that big of a fan, but i'm not giving her the proverbial boot just yet. every time she steps out on court, it's a new opportunity. seems she's trying very hard, and lately, she has finally admitted to being in a huge slump. i expect her to be back in the top 10 sometime, actually. high hopes for this one-- she's something special. she just needs to get more consistent, and even though she's drop dead gorgeous, she needs to get fitter. she doesn't have the court wherewithal of monica seles and needs to get quicker for her to stay balanced.
I agree, Dokic has plenty of time to turn it around :yeah:

flyingmachine
May 3rd, 2004, 10:38 PM
I think the problems with Dokic is personal rather than physical.

Volcana
May 3rd, 2004, 10:46 PM
1) She played every godamn week, injured or not. There's every chance she's suffered some kind of chronic condition

2) She's caught up in political crap. it SEEMED, and I'm saying seemed because I have no proof, only a bunch of odd coincidences, that her prize money was going to fund some questionable political groups back home. Seemed to me her play tailed off when rumors of that started up. But again, this is all supposition in NO WAY backed up with actual fact.

3) She lost weight. This may be an example of a player who lost weight to get in better condition, and lost the 'pop' in her racquet.

4) Her game was always relatively unsophicated. Run down the ball, hammer it as hard as you can into a corner. That can work. If you have a MASSIVE serve. That's how Lindsay gets away with it. But outside of her, Petrova is about the only player who still plays that flat-hitting big babe game and succeeds. Virtually everyone else at least uses topspin on dtl winners.

5) I don't fucking know, and everything I have to say on the subject is bullshit.

pav
May 3rd, 2004, 11:07 PM
Don't know about any of the above but She looked amazing with Her hair out in those shots on the site a couple of days ago!

Ballbuster
May 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
I miss looking at her. Her bodily contours were on.

TeeRexx
May 4th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I miss looking at her. Her bodily contours were on.
And I thought that I was bad. :devil: :lol:

Pamela Shriver
May 4th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Jelena Dokic: What the heck happened?

Did someone say neck?

I have a large neck.

Rocketta
May 4th, 2004, 01:32 AM
I don't know about her game but the guy that was with her in Charleston (don't know if it's her boyfriend or coach or both) sure is a buff cutie...:drool:

tennnisfannn
May 4th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Eventually everything comes to an end including a massive slump, she will be back.

esquímaux
May 4th, 2004, 10:47 AM
She's chopped live! :p :lol: No, it's a slump and that's all. Have we forgotten Cappers' 'situation' already? ;)

Gandalf
May 4th, 2004, 10:54 AM
The longer she's in a slump, the harder it will be for her to get out of it. She's got the danger of getting 'used' to having bad results...hopefully she will get back on track.

dreamgoddess099
May 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
The problem with Jelena is that she has because very beatable and her story is over. If only she know that she was talking about herself when she was trying to talk about Venus. I have no pity for her.

Volcana
May 4th, 2004, 01:41 PM
She's chopped live! :p :lol: No, it's a slump and that's all. Have we forgotten Cappers' 'situation' already? ;)
Capriati wasn't in a slump. She was unfocused and out-of-shape. her results were a perfect reflection of her commitment. At some point, it stops being a slump and starts being you new norm. Don't know how long that is, but, barring a injury, if things go to shit for more than a year, it isn't a 'slump' anymore. It's you.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 4th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Jelena Dokic? That story is over.

sarza
May 4th, 2004, 02:40 PM
i just watched her match today and oh my god it was real bad. She appeared to have no intrest and just looked like she couldnt wait to get off the court. Im not saying this just to diss her because i really do like her but it was sad to watch :sad:

rada
May 4th, 2004, 03:24 PM
its sad to see and say but i think dokic has gone away and she is not coming back:(

TeeRexx
May 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM
I guess after the bagel match at Berlin, we can say that Dokic's career is officially over. :sad: