PDA

View Full Version : VENUS will be in the top ten by May 10

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 12:27 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS, after winning her second straight title in Warsaw, is currently ranked #11 on the WTA tour and she should make the top ten without even winning the Berlin event this week. :)

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/venus_4218_rx.jpg

However, I hope the Goddess of Tennis can make the German Open her third staight title, thus moving her up as high as #8 in the weekly rankings. :bounce: :kiss:

sunnysideup
May 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
before rankings is not a big issue on the Williams Camp; at least now, they believe in rankings and come to appreciate it more.;)

Paneru
May 3rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
before rankings is not a big issue on the Williams Camp; at least now, they believe in rankings and come to appreciate it more.;)

Correction dear, it wasn't a big deal as pertaining to ability.
Venus may have been ranked 17th but everyone knew that ranking
didn't reflect her ability and what she was capable of.
It reflected her being out for six months and not being
in form at the start of this season. ;)

It isn't a big deal but it is nice to see it begin to reflect who and what Venus
is as a tennis player. As for now, she may be ranked 11th but
the way she is playing would lead any layman to believe
she is well inside the top ten.

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
No one in the "Williams Camp" ever had a disbelief in rankings.
The order of importance for the Williams is probably the same as that of all reasonable elite players.

1. To play well
2. Win Tier titles
3. Win Slam titles
4. Win Olympic titles
5. Gain ranking points

Bye. :wavey:

DunkMachine
May 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Whats with this bullshit generalization. I don't have to agree with (say) Teerex just because he's a Venus-fan too. :rolleyes:

charmedRic
May 3rd, 2004, 01:12 PM
The order of importance for the Williams is probably the same as that of all reasonable elite players.

1. To play well
2. Win Tier titles
3. Win Slam titles
4. Win Olympic titles
5. Gain ranking points

Very Well Put :wavey:

sunnysideup
May 3rd, 2004, 01:16 PM

1. To play well
2. Win Tier titles
3. Win Slam titles
4. Win Olympic titles
5. Gain ranking points

this must be the reason why Venus was slamless for more than two years now and counting.....:scratch:

Pureracket
May 3rd, 2004, 01:20 PM
this must be the reason why Venus was slamless for more than two years now and counting.....:scratch:LOL. . . .another troll!!!!! Say hello to the others on my ignore list, buddy.:wavey:

controlfreak
May 3rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
I think most top players would put winning titles ahead of playing well.

Would you rather play well and reach a semi, or play badly and win the tourney anyway?

sunnysideup
May 3rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
LOL. . . .another troll!!!!! Say hello to the others on my ignore list, buddy.:wavey:
thank you and I'm glad I had affected you greatly for that drastic action of yours:kiss:

sunnysideup
May 3rd, 2004, 01:23 PM

It isn't a big deal but it is nice to see it begin to reflect who and what Venus
She simply deserves her ranking right now and she's indeed playing like a top tenner.:D

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 01:24 PM
this must be the reason why Venus was slamless for more than two years now and counting.....:scratch:
If you were even slightly intelligent, you would probably know that most reasonable players would feel themselves very fortunate to have played in all of the Grand Slam finals, even if they lost to their sibling. :p :)

sunnysideup
May 3rd, 2004, 01:26 PM
If you were even slightly intelligent, you would probably know that most reasonable players would feel themselves very fortunate to have played in all of the Grand Slam finals, even if they lost to their sibling. :p :)
I really don't have to be smart enough to know the fact that Venus whom you say the greatest player of all time was indeed slamless; it's just unacceptable.:yawn:

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 06:23 PM
sunnyside said:

"I really don't have to be smart enough to know the fact that Venus whom you say the greatest player of all time was indeed slamless; it's just unacceptable."
================================

Well, I have looked through this thread and nowhere did I ever state that VENUS was the greatest player of all time.

But, I am responding to a delusional moron, so what else can I expect. :)

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM

Excellent Post!:worship: :worship:

Foot_Fault
May 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
To add to what TeeRex said...I've often heard Venus state that Playing Well and Winning Titles is most important, and when you do that...The ranking takes care of itself....(i.e. Venus' Current Raking Situation.)

I am positive players would DESPERATELY want Venus' ranking higher...I wouldn't want to face her in the 3rd, 4th, or Quarter Rounds of a tournament.

look what happen when Serena was Ranked 10th and 7th and 9th in the rankings.

WF4EVER
May 3rd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have any idea if Venus is in Berlin at all?

Secondly, can she make Top Ten without playing?

Volcana
May 3rd, 2004, 07:07 PM
What exactly did I ever write that led you to conclude that the rankings weren't a 'big issue' for me? Obviously, winning tournaments is more important, a high ranking IS, after all, a function of winning tournaments. Before Charleston, every week, like a broken record, I posted that Venus hadn't even beaten a top thirty player in her comeback. I was as shocked as anyone she suddenly won two tournaments. Really fuckn' happy, but kinda surprised.

Maybe learning to read would help you. Or just realizing that all Williams fans don't think or believe alike.

lizchris
May 3rd, 2004, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have any idea if Venus is in Berlin at all?

Secondly, can she make Top Ten without playing?
She is in Berlin and she gave an interview about how happy she was to be doing well again.

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 07:47 PM
She is in Berlin and she gave an interview about how happy she was to be doing well again.
That is good news and hopefully VENUS will get the hat trick and pull down her third straight title in Berlin. :) :bounce:

jacobruiz
May 3rd, 2004, 07:53 PM
:rolleyes: Oh for heaven's sake Sunnysideup, people are just happy to see Venus playing well and moving back up in the rankings where she was before she was injured. And I'd say reaching slam finals is a pretty good measure of her skill - considering she probably doesn't play her very best against little sis.

Dawn Marie
May 3rd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Hey, Can someone tell me exactly how Venus can reach the top ten AGAIN without having to play Berlin?

Ty, and FEARLESS VENUS WILLIAMS RULES!!!

TeeRexx
May 3rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
:rolleyes: Oh for heaven's sake Sunnysideup, people are just happy to see Venus playing well and moving back up in the rankings where she was before she was injured. And I'd say reaching slam finals is a pretty good measure of her skill - considering she probably doesn't play her very best against little sis.
I guess Sunnyside is just talking out of its "sunnyside" most of the time.:eek: :lol: :devil:

lizchris
May 3rd, 2004, 08:49 PM
Hey, Can someone tell me exactly how Venus can reach the top ten AGAIN without having to play Berlin?

Ty, and FEARLESS VENUS WILLIAMS RULES!!!
DM, I think the thread start said that she doesn't have to win the GO to get back into the top ten, but just do well. She is one of the few top players that doesn't have to defend points here and if she can get to a later round and Jennifer Capriati (who is curretnly at number 10 will her GO points off) loses early, Venus will be nubmer ten and Jennifer will be number 11.

venusfan
May 3rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS, after winning her second straight title in Warsaw, is currently ranked #11 on the WTA tour and she should make the top ten without even winning the Berlin event this week. :)

http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/venus_4218_rx.jpg

However, I hope the Goddess of Tennis can make the German Open her third staight title, thus moving her up as high as #8 in the weekly rankings. :bounce: :kiss:
only hope for them to be on seperate sides of the draw. I could care less who's in front of them because they will destroy

Dawn Marie
May 3rd, 2004, 09:15 PM
thanks, Liz for your answer to my question.:)

lizchris
May 3rd, 2004, 09:22 PM
thanks, Liz for your answer to my question.:)
You're welcome.:kiss:

DA FOREHAND
May 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM
the entire tour w/the exception of Serena was slamless for an entire year at one point...but guess who made all those finals?

SelesFan70
May 3rd, 2004, 09:37 PM
If Venus wins Berlin, she's the odds of fave for Roland Garros...without the win, she still a top contender. This tournament should be a much better gauge as to where her game is with so many of the other "top" ladies being entered. Too bad I'm not a betting man, I'd put money on Venus...(or Clijsters :o ).

lizchris
May 3rd, 2004, 09:40 PM
If Venus wins Berlin, she's the odds of fave for Roland Garros...without the win, she still a top contender. This tournament should be a much better gauge as to where her game is with so many of the other "top" ladies being entered. Too bad I'm not a betting man, I'd put money on Venus...(or Clijsters :o ).
I wouldn't put money on Clijsters. It's not like she was playing top players at Fed Cup (that includes Sprem), so we don't know how her wrist (or game) is going to hold up if she gets deeper in the draw.

Rocketta
May 3rd, 2004, 11:09 PM
I saw Sprem in Charleston and I don't think Clay is her best surface...:confused:

TeeRexx
May 4th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Good post. But go ahead and put a bet on VENUS anyway. :)

Knizzle
May 4th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Venus can get as high as #6 after this tournament if everything goes her way.

TeeRexx
May 4th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Venus can get as high as #6 after this tournament if everything goes her way.
I do not think that VENUS could go higher than #8 this week if things went just right.:)