PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps Kirkland is a shot in the arm for American tennis.

Jakeev
May 3rd, 2004, 08:10 AM
American Jessica Kirkland is on the verge of winning her second-straight Challenger title in Mexico. She is leading 6-0 against another good talent Laura-Pous-Tio of Spain and will have to finish the match Monday.

Win or lose she seems to possibly have the stuff to become a great tennis player. She is just 16 and although I have not seen her play, but I have heard she is ever improving. She most obviously be if she near her second-straight professional title.

In a time in which many believe American tennis could be dead for the women in the next 5-7 years, I was wondering if anyone thinks she might be THE one that carries the torch when the sisters, Lindsay and Jennifer maybe gone by 2009-12?

Jeff
May 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Who knows, and by winning a set 6-0 from a challenger in Mexico doesn't say anything. What she does in the main-tour events is what counts. Would be nice to see a new U.S. girl rising star, though.

Jakeev
May 3rd, 2004, 09:56 AM
Who knows, and by winning a set 6-0 from a challenger in Mexico doesn't say anything. What she does in the main-tour events is what counts. Would be nice to see a new U.S. girl rising star, though.
It's not so much that she is leading the match but the fact that if she wins, she will have won her 10 straight match.

Point is, a lot of young International players around Jessica's age have been doing well in the Challenger touraments; and Kirkland is one of them.

Sure what she does in main-draw events is what counts, but I think competing in Challenger events is often important for players trying to rise in the rankings.

But will Jessica set the standard for other young American players? Or is she just have a couple of great weeks?

Gowza
May 3rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
over the past few years there have been alot of american prospects with a lot of talent. ally baker imo has a lot of talent, cory ann avants before she got injured was on track to having a good start on the main tour. angela haynes had an ok start but hasnt gone on with it yet and the same goes for carly gullickson. im not sure that any of them have top 5 or top 10 talent but some of them may have top 50 talent. atm i dont think america has a prospect touted as the player who lead the generation after the williams sisters etc but u never know, someone could suddenly jump on the scene or a player could develop a game we didnt expect them to.

charmedRic
May 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
I think its a;ways a possibility, but we need to keep this kids away from the media. Many of the young US prospects have been burnt out right around the US Open simply because the media places way too much pressure on them.

Jakeev
May 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
I think its a;ways a possibility, but we need to keep this kids away from the media. Many of the young US prospects have been burnt out right around the US Open simply because the media places way too much pressure on them.
Well from what I have read in the Challenger section, Jessica can only play four more events until October and perhaps a Grand Slam. So unless she is playing a lot of junior events I don't know if the media or burn out will even be a factor with her.

*JR*
May 3rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
As Our Old "friend" Rational Danny would say: "Bookmark it, Dru" :lol: (but not re. Jessica). BTW Z, I forgot to ask you B4 to "recruit" Dru, as I did re. Jay, Vandy, Mo, DX, MH, etc. from GT. Anyhow, Andrea Remynse (now 15) is my pick 2B the next American female star.

ptkten
May 3rd, 2004, 01:33 PM
I've always though Kirkland had a shot to be good. I'm still sticking with her, Alexandra Mueller, and Mary Gambale as America's hopes.

rated_next
May 3rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Jessica Kirkland may be winning these tournaments, but she has not beaten a top 250 player yet. :eek:

The tournaments in Mexico were really, really weak.

BK4ever
May 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Jessica Kirkland may be winning these tournaments, but she has not beaten a top 250 player yet. :eek:

She hasnt beaten a top 250 player in the last two weeks but she has in other tournaments ;)

Yes the draws were week, but lots of players starting out play weak tournaments to get their ranking up and get match tough...

Saying all that...i think Jessica at this point is a top 150 player at best...The few times I have seen her play, I thought she had nice groundies but not much else...she really needs to learn the meaning of strategy...

As far as American tennis, we only have one legit hope and its Carly Gullickson, but she needs to get in shape and get a new serve...PRONTO. Heard she is working with Novotna now, so maybe she can help her get on track.

BK4ever
May 3rd, 2004, 09:46 PM

P.S. Jess just won her second straight 25K weak or not ;)

njguido11
May 3rd, 2004, 09:53 PM
she beat alves in the 2nd round who is in the top 250 not an amazing accomplishment just a correction.

njguido11
May 3rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
next weeks rankings she should be around 260 with 10 tournaments played not bad.

Lelu
May 3rd, 2004, 10:10 PM
The next American tennis star will emerge unexpectedly and it will be someone most never heard of.

BK4ever
May 3rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
The next American tennis star will emerge unexpectedly and it will be someone most never heard of.
Not...Carly is the next great American Hope :D :wavey:

njguido11
May 4th, 2004, 02:38 AM
jess kirkland, carly, ashley, jamea, all will be constant top 100 for years to come. if they stay injury free. anyone know whats been up with ally baker and bethanie mattek?? havent played lately at all. Hopefully some of the college girls like Amber Liu, Raquel Kops Jones along with Mccain can make a dent. ALong with recent juniors like falcon and iris ichim maybe theres some promise outthere. and youngsters like mary gambale , jess nguyen, and julia cohen all seem promising. and my favs hopefully will turn it on soon tanner cochran and cory ann avants

CoryAnnAvants#1
May 4th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Not...Carly is the next great American Hope :D :wavey:

I like Carly's game, and she's not afraid to try new things in a match (serving and volleying during her match against Tulyaganova at Wimby), but she doesn't really strike me as someone with a huge weapon. She's got excellent volleys when she's in position, but as you said she doesn't have the serve or the movement to get up there. I think she can be top 100, but as far as the American hope? I don't know...

I saw Kirkland lose against Kalhuznaya (totally butchered it lol) at US Open qualies, and she's got the game to be top 150 right now. She just loses focus a lot in matches and has 4 or 5 games stretches where she's awful.

BK, what do you think about Jewel Peterson's chances? I was VERY impressed by her at the Open last year, even though she lost to Osterloh. Or Cory Ann Avants? I still think the girl is top 50 material if she straightens out the serve and the emotions...

BK4ever
May 4th, 2004, 03:03 AM
I like Carly's game, and she's not afraid to try new things in a match (serving and volleying during her match against Tulyaganova at Wimby), but she doesn't really strike me as someone with a huge weapon. She's got excellent volleys when she's in position, but as you said she doesn't have the serve or the movement to get up there. I think she can be top 100, but as far as the American hope? I don't know...

I saw Kirkland lose against Kalhuznaya (totally butchered it lol) at US Open qualies, and she's got the game to be top 150 right now. She just loses focus a lot in matches and has 4 or 5 games stretches where she's awful.

BK, what do you think about Jewel Peterson's chances? I was VERY impressed by her at the Open last year, even though she lost to Osterloh. Or Cory Ann Avants? I still think the girl is top 50 material if she straightens out the serve and the emotions...
I was at that Kirkland match:D ...we'll have to meet up this year. Jess is too inconsistent, but she seems to have worked on that given her two straight 25K wins, hopefully she can keep it up.

Carly has a huge weapon in her forehand and when her serve is on, it is really good...but yes it can be all over the place. Carly has alot of work to do to get to the top but what I like is that she has a solid foundation, all the skills are there, she just needs someone to help her put it together. And we all know my girl is carrying around way too much weight. Hopefully Novotna can help her reach her potential:hearts:

Cory Ann needs a new coach...

Don't really have an opinion on Jewel, she is really short and she is too hit or miss...waiting to see where she ends up the year

njguido11
May 4th, 2004, 03:32 AM
how bout ur thoughts on jamea jackson. i know shes short but it seems to me maybe shes overcome the cramping and is always in her matches even in the losses.

BK4ever
May 4th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Jamea is good off the ground, I see her at 150 at best...serve is a huge liability

PatM04
May 4th, 2004, 03:45 AM
What about Stacia Fonseca? I haven't heard much about her but when I played with her she seemed really talented. She also seems very dedicated as well.

njguido11
May 4th, 2004, 03:52 AM
fonseca looked hot as fuck in every pic i saw of her. Mueller supposedly has some game and is still really young

rated_next
May 4th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I was at the Kirkland match as well, though I only saw Olga win the last game. ;)

Yup, she beat 1 top 250 player, which I think proves my point that these $25K tournaments were weak. Then again, I can't blame Jessica for going there, and getting easy points.

It'll be interesting to see how well she does in bigger tournaments.

Jakeev
May 4th, 2004, 07:29 AM
I was at the Kirkland match as well, though I only saw Olga win the last game. ;)

Yup, she beat 1 top 250 player, which I think proves my point that these $25K tournaments were weak. Then again, I can't blame Jessica for going there, and getting easy points.

It'll be interesting to see how well she does in bigger tournaments.
Jessica is now 13-4 for the year. Not bad considering she can only play limited tournaments. Weak draws or not, Jessica still beat some decent players, including Alves, Piedade and Dominguez(twice each in two weeks) and Pous-Tio.

As for bigger tournaments, she is 2-2 in WTA qualifying tournaments with her big victory over Nagyova in Miami and a tight three-set loss to Kirilenko in the next round.

And yes she has had her share of shelpy losses this year; just over two weeks ago she lost to Benitez in straights in a 10k tournament.

srothstein
May 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Let us not forget that at age 15 Jessica did qualify for the Indian Wells tourney where she beat Kurhajcova (#64) and Leon-Garcia (#107) before losing in the main draw to Kuznetsova (#14). Like any young player, she has shown flashes of brillance. However, her age will limit her success.