PDA

View Full Version : What's your estimate of the players at Berlin BESIDES Venus?

Volcana
May 3rd, 2004, 02:50 AM
Venus - won last two tournaments, both Fed Cup matches. Health always an issue. I'd say we're done here.

Now to everyone else.

Kim Clijsters - Played Fed Cup and obviously came out of it no worse, since she's playing here. Will played injured, so the fact that she IS playing doesn't imply health. Style alone should get her through a coule of rounds. Not a difficult draw, though either of the Z-girls could be a problem, IF Kim isn't 100%.

Amelie Mauresmo - psyche.

Anastasia Myskina - Not likely to go out to a player rnaked lower than her, especially since Capriati, based on current form, won't be there in the QFs. Although if Rubin withdraws, the draw may change. Incapable of beating Clijsters or Williams if they bring their 'B' game, much less 'A'. Get them out of the way and she could win the whole thing.

Petrova - Surface doesn't favor one-dimensional power game. I'd predict loss in the 16s to Suarez but her draw really isn't tough. Til Venus.

Dementieva - A weak 2nd serve on a slow surface. Opponents could have pizza delivered to them at the net. No way in God's green earth she wins a match vs Kuznetsova right now.

Capriati - Needs health. Needs match play. Has to be in peak physical condition and as light as she was at Aus 2002. Nasty 3rd round. Could be Mandul, Schiavone or Farina Elia.

Sugiyama - Wha? Didn't you retire? Her only hope of staying in the top ten is to go DEEP into this tournament. Zvonareva in the 16s. Ouch.

Rubin - Name still up at the website. Hope the knee's okay.

Kuznetsova - Having a great year. finals very make-able. She's playing better than everyone in that half of the draw.

Zvonareva - WIll face Venus in the semis for the 3rd straiht week if Kim isn't in form. This could turn into a complex, like when Dokic ran in Davenport three straight finals in a row.

Add names.

Disagree.

alwayshingis
May 3rd, 2004, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I really like Ai Sugiyama, but it's ridiculous that she is still top ten. She won her first tournament of the year, but then fell back in to what she has had for most of her career -- middling results at best. She lost a set 6-1 to Vento Kabchi!!!!

King Aaron
May 3rd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Jelena Dokic - Mentally not there, game is not there. Not expecting much from her. :sad: A win against Meghann in 3 is what I predict, a straight sets win will be a pleasant surprise. Will lose to K-Lina.

MrSerenaWilliams
May 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Venus - won last two tournaments, both Fed Cup matches. Health always an issue. I'd say we're done here.

Now to everyone else.

Kim Clijsters - Played Fed Cup and obviously came out of it no worse, since she's playing here. Will played injured, so the fact that she IS playing doesn't imply health. Style alone should get her through a coule of rounds. Not a difficult draw, though either of the Z-girls could be a problem, IF Kim isn't 100%.

Amelie Mauresmo - psyche.

Anastasia Myskina - Not likely to go out to a player rnaked lower than her, especially since Capriati, based on current form, won't be there in the QFs. Although if Rubin withdraws, the draw may change. Incapable of beating Clijsters or Williams if they bring their 'B' game, much less 'A'. Get them out of the way and she could win the whole thing.

Petrova - Surface doesn't favor one-dimensional power game. I'd predict loss in the 16s to Suarez but her draw really isn't tough. Til Venus.

Dementieva - A weak 2nd serve on a slow surface. Opponents could have pizza delivered to them at the net. No way in God's green earth she wins a match vs Kuznetsova right now.

Capriati - Needs health. Needs match play. Has to be in peak physical condition and as light as she was at Aus 2002. Nasty 3rd round. Could be Mandul, Schiavone or Farina Elia.

Sugiyama - Wha? Didn't you retire? Her only hope of staying in the top ten is to go DEEP into this tournament. Zvonareva in the 16s. Ouch.

Rubin - Name still up at the website. Hope the knee's okay.

Kuznetsova - Having a great year. finals very make-able. She's playing better than everyone in that half of the draw.

Zvonareva - WIll face Venus in the semis for the 3rd straiht week if Kim isn't in form. This could turn into a complex, like when Dokic ran in Davenport three straight finals in a row.

Add names.

Disagree.

I AGREE 100% GREAT POST! Venus will win 3rd Title in a Row vs. Kuznetsova in the final! Great post!

Volcana
May 3rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Winning three clay court tournamments in a row IS a little outside the norm for Venus.

What the hell happened to Conchi?

Sanchez-Lorenzo def. Martinez 6-3 3-6 6-4

I reallyt thought she was ready to make one last run at Roland Garros.

Daniel
May 4th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Rubin is out

jan.
May 4th, 2004, 09:51 AM
yeah i agree, why the fuck is ai still in the top 10. I like her and stuff but she had her best run in 2003 and now shes back to mediocre results.