PDA

View Full Version : The ASV/Mary cheering thread!

JasonW
May 3rd, 2004, 02:20 AM
Very surprising to see Arantxa not playing with Anabel (anybody know why?). But, Mary and Arantxa have a long history together, and their both great doubles players.

VAMOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marsha
May 3rd, 2004, 02:55 AM
... But Mary and Arantxa have a long history together, and they're both great doubles players.
Just curious (as I have no memory cells left, you see!) when did they play together? I remember only the time they signed up together at SC (1997-?) and *both* of them got sick before they ever played a match! Also I remember the Arthur Ashe event. What else?

Well anyway, VAMOS Aranchita and have fun with your return to tennis! :)

Gallofa
May 3rd, 2004, 11:02 AM
They play today! best of luck!!!

And what do you see when you open the Berlin Open website?

http://www.content.german-open.org/newsmaqer2002/images/fotos/2004/0205sanchez_vicario_IMG_3818.JPG

Exactly! A pic of Arantxa :D These germans know how to run websites or what? :lol: ;)

Hi marsha and JasonW! I looked in Arantxa's stats and I only found the following

Hilton Head 1998
partnering Mary PIERCE (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20000349) (FRA)
32 W RUBIN (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20001374) (USA) / TESTUD (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20000980) (FRA) 6-2 6-2
16 L LUGINA (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20000625) (UKR) / MONTALVO (http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20000807) (ARG) W/O

marsha
May 3rd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Hey Bea!

I'm very happy to see you here on the board again-- thanks for these stats!

So then it was SC 1998, not 1997! And they did play one round then -- hmmm..... I just don't remember that at all, although I was there... I do know that Mary got the stomach flu --AND-- Arantxa had hurt some part of her leg or ankle or something and had lost in the first round in singles (against Glass, I think). So she immediately flew back to Spain and pulled out of Amelia Island. Being heartbroken, oh yes that I do remember.... **ironic_lol**

raquel
May 3rd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Good luck Arantxa and Mary :D

The online scoreboard is now working so we can follow live scores for the match :)

marsha
May 3rd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Good luck Arantxa and Mary :D

The online scoreboard is now working so we can follow live scores for the match :)
Hey Rachel -- where is the online scorebaord exactly? I have the main page for the German Open, and I see lots of interesting stuff (and the picture bea so kindly posted!) but where the heck are the scores? THANKS!

raquel
May 3rd, 2004, 02:01 PM
This link should work Marsha -

http://www.content.german-open.org/content/news/livescore2004.html

If it does not work, on the actual site there is a menu on the left of the homepage. Click on 'Ergebnisse' which is the second option down and another little menu opens. Click on 'Spielstand (Real-Time)' for the scoreboard :)

marsha
May 3rd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks Raquel, I do have it! There kinda going sloooooow on the Center Court tho -- I wonder if they might move Arantxa's match.....

raquel
May 3rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Arantxa and Mary are now starting on Court 6 against Garbin/Jidkova. You were right Marsha they have been moved. Good luck girls! :)

marsha
May 3rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Raquel! I was looking around, but the live scoreboard drashed a few times -- I see it now tho! I'd've been screwed without you today Raquel! Thanks sooo much!

PS -- Are you planning to go to Wimbie this year??
PPS -- I think I'll start a Live Scores thread just for their match if you or someone will join me -- the other thread is just tooooo long.

Tompier
May 3rd, 2004, 05:50 PM
GO Mary and Aratxa
everyone look at that picture :)

Tompier
May 3rd, 2004, 05:51 PM
PPS -- I think I'll start a Live Scores thread just for their match if you or someone will join me -- the other thread is just tooooo long.

that's a great idea :)

TartarVicario
May 3rd, 2004, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone :D :hug:

I think Arantxa/Mary have a chance to win next match against Sveta/Lena :lick:.Good luck Arantxa/Mary :worship:

Julian
May 3rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Tompier, that pic looks like it was from 1995!! So they played together before too but it was probably an exhibition match.

anyway well done girls!! Glad to see them win their first match. GOOD LUCK IN THE NEXT ROUND!!

~VaMoS~ArAnTxA~
May 3rd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Gallofa! That Arantxa picture is just too much! :hearts: I'm soooo happy to see her back! :angel: :bounce: :angel:

Vamos Arantxa! :worship:

marsha
May 4th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Very surprising to see Arantxa not playing with Anabel (anybody know why?). I guess we know why now -- duuuurn! This is very upsetting news that Jon has given us (that Arantxa is *not* going to be allowed to represent Spain at the Olympics, in case y'all didn't read the other thread)

OK WAIT -- Jon has just updated this for me, and also Juan Fombella from Miami has sent me a Marca article that says it is only not CERTAIN that Arantxa goes to Athens. But according to Jon's converstion with Arantxa, she WILL be going. I do hope this is the correct story -- hope I didn't scare anyone else as much as I scared myself! *LOL*

marsha
May 4th, 2004, 01:33 AM
GO Mary and Arantxa
everyone look at that picture
The picture *IS* from when they played a short (8-point, I think) exhibition at the Arthur Ashe Day that preceded the US Open and it prolly was 1995 as stated above Arantxa is wearing her 1995 Wimbie outfit, right? I always date her by her clothing *LOL*)

We think they have really only even played one matcn together before -- in 1998 at Hilton Head, beating Rubin/Testud who were a pretty hot team just then. Then they had to withdraw -- so technically they are undefeated as a team! :)

bennywu
May 4th, 2004, 02:20 AM
GO Mary and Aratxa
everyone look at that picture :)

they also played together last year!

Tompier
May 4th, 2004, 10:30 AM
What a picture :hearts: :) Go Girls :) :bounce:

mauresmofan
May 4th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Great Line up - Make mince meat of the opposition!

Randy H
May 5th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Anabel Medina did not play with Arantxa in Berlin because she has an abdominal strain and decided to skip the doubles event to avoid injuring it further :sad:

Arantxa may play the Olympics with either Anabel or Magui, it will depend on their rankings leading up to the Olympics. Hopefully Anabel's injury is not serious so that they will be able to play more tournaments.

As stated earlier Arantxa will play Roland Garros and Wimbledon, and she will ask for a WC into Rome but it is not guaranteed she will get one yet.

Aside from that she may also play s'Hertogenbosch, Palermo, and Stockholm but it depends on Anabel's schedule still. Then the Olympics :)

marsha
May 5th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Anabel Medina did not play with Arantxa in Berlin because she has an abdominal strain and decided to skip the doubles event to avoid injuring it further....HEY, shoe-boy! :) How do you know EVERYTHING here?? (but seriously, now, where did you find out all this info? -- GREAT stuff!!!)

Are you in the UK or home, btw? And where in this list does it say she will play MONTREAL????

Mark Spruce
May 6th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Best of luck tommrow Ladies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to Mary esecially

Go Vicario !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Mark

raquel
May 6th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Good Luck ASV and Mary :bounce:

I sent a message to the BBC tennis page about ASV and it made it! Mine is the first comment - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/have_your_say/default.stm

There is another of mine have way down the page which I sent on Monday wishing ASV and Mary well but I thought had not been accepted so I sent another one last night. But my old one made it too, so I have two message saying pretty much the same :o

Also the BBC had a little news article on ASV and the Olympics -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3683127.stm

marsha
May 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM
I sent a message to the BBC tennis page about ASV and it made it! Mine is the first comment - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/have_your_say/default.stm

Hey Raquel, great achievement! :) I just read your message -- I didn't know Arantxa would be the only person (ever? really?) to have competed in 5 Olympics -- where did you find out this startling news? Did you see that she might be playing with Magui instead of Anabel? I really wish it were Vivi though (or even Conchi), but oh well.... At least she will get to go (I doubt she gets to carry the flad though, but here's hoping.....

raquel
May 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Hi Marsha, well I only found out myself when I looked at the BBC's article before posting my message. She would be the first tennis player to have competed in 5 Olympics in tennis. There is a link to the article in my last post but here is what it says. Another record for ASV! :D

Sanchez-Vicario Games bid

Former world number one Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario has come out of retirement to try and become the first tennis player to play in five Olympics.

The 32-year-old retired from tennis 18 months ago and is only returning to play in this summer's games in Athens.

She has won silver and bronze medals in singles and doubles but never a gold.

"I have asked (the International Tennis Federation) for an invitation and I am awaiting a reply," said the Spaniard, who is playing at the Berlin Open.

marsha
May 6th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Oh, OK, first tennis player, that makes sense... Tennis was only (re)introduced to the Olympics in 1984 (as exhibition only) so I guess Arantxa's five would be 1988, 1992 (Barcelona!), 1996, 2000, and then 2004. Boy if she could get a medal of any color, I would be so happy for her.....

Julian
May 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Congrats Arantxa and Mary on a wonderful comeback win!!! Good luck next round girls!! VAMOS!!

Gallofa
May 7th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Amazing stuff from Arantxa and Mary!!!! :lol:

Aaaaah, I so enjoy these close matches from Arantxa!!!! :D

Good luck tomorrow!!!

Gallofa
May 7th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Good Luck ASV and Mary :bounce:

There is another of mine have way down the page which I sent on Monday wishing ASV and Mary well but I thought had not been accepted so I sent another one last night. But my old one made it too, so I have two message saying pretty much the same :o

Also the BBC had a little news article on ASV and the Olympics -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/3683127.stm
Great stuff raquel!! Spread the word! ;) :D

Joseosu19
May 7th, 2004, 11:24 PM
Vamos Arantxa/Mary. They stopped Svetlana and Elena---the first time they had not made a final this year!

marsha
May 7th, 2004, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=Gallofa] :lol: Aaaaah, I so enjoy these close matches from Arantxa!!!! QUOTE]

And don't you wish we could have actually BEEN THERE to see it.... It was fun going point-by-point on the net but I really would have loved to have been in Berlin.... I had a free place to stay there, too, but I just could not scrape together the plane fare. I am kicking myself now tho....

Are you (or anyone here) going to either R/G or Wimb?

PamShriverRockz
May 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Woah, its like the old days! (Ooo tours not been same since, not like in my day ;) )

Congrats to ASV & Mary! :D

Arantxa plays these close matches deliberately to keep us on our toes I think ;)

Bea, wish we were there, if I took my Ann Jones champs parade poster we would collapse laughing ;) If only they'd play together at wimby.....

Good luck for the next match girls!

ASV_FAN
May 8th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Somebody tell me the last time I got to enjoy an Arantxa and Jennifer victory twice in one week :D !!!

VAMOS/ALLEZ ARANTXA/MARY!!! I know you'll do it girls :) !!!