PDA

View Full Version : Did the Williames screw up Lindsay's career??

Infiniti2001
May 2nd, 2004, 05:10 PM
I know this is rubbish, but I need your thoughts. I can say the say about Lindsay screwing up Vee when she was consistently beating her, but I am not this childish :rolleyes:

esquímaux
May 2nd, 2004, 05:11 PM

LindsayRocks89
May 2nd, 2004, 05:14 PM
well ask Andrew(loveulindsay) and he will say yes and call VEnus a *itch, but thats besides the point and i don't think so, i think ultimately what it was, when she had to have surgery on the knee, she hasnt been the same since, i mean Lindsay could have very well beat Serena in the finals of wta championships if she hadn't have injured herself, but i don't think The williams have messed up Lindsay's career at all

azza
May 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
No.

Foot_Fault
May 2nd, 2004, 05:16 PM
I think Lindsay, HELPED the Williamses Career, especially Venus. She use to DOGGG Venus in Matches, Venus had no answers for her...after her wins against Lindsay, Venus was more confidence wins more credible.

spike83
May 2nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
you could say the same for Justine
she lost consecutively against Clijsters until she suddenly won in Berlin last year and the she went on to crush Clijsters on almost every occasion.

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Well, thing I can say is that since the coming out of the Williamses Lindsay hasn´t really been much of a factor at the slams...look at all her losses at the slams since like the ´00 oz open and you´ll see the name WILLIAMS coming up an awful lot.

Still had a nice career.

Infiniti2001
May 2nd, 2004, 05:25 PM
The poster is groping for grounds to go negative on them. PATHETIC :fiery: :tape:

esquímaux
May 2nd, 2004, 05:26 PM
you could say the same for Justine
she lost consecutively against Clijsters until she suddenly won in Berlin last year and the she went on to crush Clijsters on almost every occasion.
Shocking isn't it? I'm tempted to even use the dreaded "O" word....OWNED :tape:

tennisIlove09
May 2nd, 2004, 05:30 PM
I think Venus hurt it more. 2000. Lindsay probably would have had three majors in one year. Serena has owned her, but the Venus matches were bigger matches.

akosijepoy
May 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
nope

williamsfan
May 2nd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Did/Has Serena screwed up Venus Career? I think thats a better question.

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 05:49 PM
I think Venus hurt it more. 2000. Lindsay probably would have had three majors in one year. Serena has owned her, but the Venus matches were bigger matches.

Good point...

Black Mamba.
May 2nd, 2004, 05:53 PM
In all sports there is always going to be someone bigger, badder, and just flat out better. It is up to players to adapt and adjust to beat them. I don't think the sisters have messed up Lindsay's career at all, Lindsay is still a very good player capable of winning Slams. I believe she needs to adapt to beat them, I still remember when J-Cap beat Serena on a consistant basis, and it wan't until Serena adapted did she start beating J-Cap.

"Topaz"
May 2nd, 2004, 06:01 PM
Let's take a look at Lindsay's GS career.

OZ RG WB US Open
1991 - - - 1ST
1992 - - - 2ND
1993 3RD 1ST 3RD 4TH
1994 QF 3RD QF 3RD
1995 QF 4TH 4TH 2ND
1996 4TH QF 2ND 4TH
1997 4TH 4TH 2ND SF
1998 SF SF QF WON
1999 SF QF WON SF
2000 WON 1ST F F
2001 SF - SF QF
2002 - - - SF
2003 4TH 4TH QF SF
2004 QF - - -

In 1998, 1999, 2000, Lindsay's career was progressing nicely with a GS win every year. Then we see a decline. What happened? Hingis wasn't a factor from that point on. Who do we see in the picture? Of course there were injuries, but injuries actually visited just about all the top players. I do see the impact of the Williamses on that decline.

Kabezya
May 2nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
To say that the Williams Sisters screwed up Lindsay's career would be to say that Lindsay didn't succeed -- obviously two non-truths.

hotandspicey
May 2nd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Nah,Lindsay's negativity and lack of confidence is mostly what screwed it up for her.She's was too easily down on herself. Her self belief faded,with the rise of the sisters.She's coming back,though,gaining that confidence she once had. Sorry to see that she is not playing Berlin.

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 07:09 PM
In all sports there is always going to be someone bigger, badder, and just flat out better. It is up to players to adapt and adjust to beat them. I don't think the sisters have messed up Lindsay's career at all, Lindsay is still a very good player capable of winning Slams. I believe she needs to adapt to beat them, I still remember when J-Cap beat Serena on a consistant basis, and it wan't until Serena adapted did she start beating J-Cap.

After a couple of 6-2 6-1 losses you´re gonna lose the believe..but with Serena and Jen, it was more of cutting on the errors.

harloo
May 2nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
I think the sisters are amazing, because when anyone beats them it does not last for long. Someone will come along and win a few slams, and maybe even beat one of them in the process. They don't hide, they go back to work and defeat the competition again. It's happened to Hingis, Davenport, Jen, and it will most likely happen to H-H also.

I feel that the sister's can destroy careers in a sense, but I don't think it's fair to label them in that manner. I imagine that they just know how to respond well to defeat as Serena did after the FO fiasco. She came to Wimbledon to make a statement, and in the semis she did.:)

Leo_DFP
May 2nd, 2004, 07:35 PM
I think its pretty clear that, even though Lindsay has had an excellent career, she would have had a much better career had ti not been for the arrival of the Williams Sisters. Just think of all the losses she had to them in finals and in Majors (to Venus: '00 W F, '00 USO F, '01 W SF, '03 W QF; to Serena: '99 USO SF, '01 USO QF, '02 USO SF). Had it not been for these two players, I think she could have possibly had a Monica-career with a good 9 or so Majors. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the Williams Sisters came to the sport because I know they have helped further women's tennis and raised the bar to a whole new level, nor am I saying that they absolutely ruined Davenport's career because she has had a great career, but I'm just stating the facts. Lindsay would have more Slams to her name if the Williams Sisters took longer to develop their games or if they never played at all.

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
I think the sisters are amazing, because when anyone beats them it does not last for long. Someone will come along and win a few slams, and maybe even beat one of them in the process. They don't hide, they go back to work and defeat the competition again. It's happened to Hingis, Davenport, Jen, and it will most likely happen to H-H also.

I feel that the sister's can destroy careers in a sense, but I don't think it's fair to label them in that manner. I imagine that they just know how to respond well to defeat as Serena did after the FO fiasco. She came to Wimbledon to make a statement, and in the semis she did.:)

For sure!

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 07:47 PM
I think its pretty clear that, even though Lindsay has had an excellent career, she would have had a much better career had ti not been for the arrival of the Williams Sisters. Just think of all the losses she had to them in finals and in Majors (to Venus: '00 W F, '00 USO F, '01 W SF, '03 W QF; to Serena: '99 USO SF, '01 USO QF, '02 USO SF). Had it not been for these two players, I think she could have possibly had a Monica-career with a good 9 or so Majors. Now, I'm not saying it's a bad thing that the Williams Sisters came to the sport because I know they have helped further women's tennis and raised the bar to a whole new level, nor am I saying that they absolutely ruined Davenport's career because she has had a great career, but I'm just stating the facts. Lindsay would have more Slams to her name if the Williams Sisters took longer to develop their games or if they never played at all.

Bottom line.

fammmmedspin
May 2nd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Graf when she retired, if I recall right, looked upon Lindsay as the next dominant player . Obviously anyone else who took the number 1 slot since has been stopping Lindsay getting there. If you wanted to explore why you would have to look at why Lindsay lost the position - it might be injuries at key times, key opponents or it might be that she bears the psychology of some lost matches. Lindsay fans could probably identify some.

Looked at from the other angle though, she has had a great career and its not surprising that a consequence of blossoming late is that you have a short time at the top before youngsters overrun you.

spencercarlos
May 2nd, 2004, 09:13 PM
Did/Has Serena screwed up Venus Career? I think thats a better question.
Well i don´t believe on this kind of Q.. How come someone who played better tennis than you could screw up your carreer. Is not the other`s fault have (been) played better than you in those important matches. eg Slam events!

Kart
May 2nd, 2004, 10:02 PM
There have definitely been times when they've been the only players who can take her out in a tournament but it's hard to look at Lindsay's career and say anyone ruined it - she'll still go down as a great player. She probably would have won more titles had they not been around but the same could be said of anybody.

Joana
May 2nd, 2004, 10:11 PM
Well, in that case they ruined everybody's career. Hingis could have won more slams, Capriati, Clijsters, Henin as well. And some day somebody will ruin they career as well.

But seriously, all of them will be remembered as amazing players with fantastic careers. Their careers were not ruined by anybody, they have titles, Slams, their record speaks for themselves.