PDA

View Full Version : Is Venus Peaking Too Early?

vogus
May 2nd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Venus is obviously playing well but she is crazy if she doesn't withdraw from Berlin. Normally the Williams sisters don't play more than 1 non-GS event in a row without withdrawing from the next tournie citing injury. No sense in Venus suddenly becoming an extremist and playing a fourth straight non-GS event. Or maybe she is trying to rack up as many wins as possible while Henin and Serena are out of action? In any case Venus should rest up in order to make a serious run at the title that actually means something to her - RG.

Ballbuster
May 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
NO!

She's back from a long lay-off. This type of confidence is sorely needed. She needs to know she's back on top, more importantly They need to know she's all about business.

The tour is toast!

Hulet
May 2nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Better to peak early than not peak at all.

jenny161185
May 2nd, 2004, 03:02 PM
I thought playing Berlin would be too much - but since todays match wasn t too long and she'll have a couple of days off so I think she'll be fine - I think Venus really wants to establish herself as the dominant force on tour again (which she is doing) but as she says she wants to play against top 10 players again and there'll be a few there next week :) I cant wait!

VenusSerenaBlvd.
May 2nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Fed Cup was just one weekend. She spent most of that week training. But she should take this week off and pick up a wildcard and play Rome.

LindsayRocks89
May 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Venus knows whats best for her, and as long as she feels ok i'm sure she'll be fine, she'll have 2 weeks off before roland garros also

WF4EVER
May 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
When did she peak too early in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003?

Are you suggesting that she should stop herself in the middle of a redhot streak if she doesn't feel the need to?

VRULES
May 2nd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Venus would have been training all that week for fed cup, and two realatively short matches doesn't make a horrible difference. If her thigh is bothering her slightly, since it is wrapped I would say skip Berlin and not risk an injury, as Venus is kind of fragile. But if the wrap was fine and it was just a little sore and not a injury, just an old akes and pains as Venus calls them, then I say go for it. She certainly has the confidence and is on a roll. I hope she is just healthy for the FO and the rest of the year.

barmaid
May 2nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Venus's victory today is another confidence booster however, while just watching the real live scoring, the match was delayed for a couple of time-outs...I think Svetlana had one too so there is still some concern over Venus's thigh problem as she had it taped. I'm sure she will assess that carefully before she begins her play in Berlin.:hearts:

barmaid:wavey:

Volcana
May 2nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
She'll be fine. She gets two weeks rest between Berlin and RG. And she isn't necessarily peaking. She just happens to be playing well enough to have won a TIer I and a Tier II. But considering how differently she played the two tournaments, Iget the feeling she may be working onthings, which would indicate she ISN'T at max level yet.

tennisIlove09
May 2nd, 2004, 04:31 PM
Venus peaking too early? What does that mean for Venus? She won 35 matches in a row before. When was she peaking too early? Who knows.

vs1
May 2nd, 2004, 04:53 PM
Venus has YET to reach her peak. She's just warming up...and I'm definitely liking it!!!
Good luck in Berlin next week VENUS!!! :banana:

Allez-H
May 2nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Congrats on your titlle Venus :yeah:

akosijepoy
May 2nd, 2004, 04:57 PM
Better to peak early than not peak at all.

I agree...i'll rather see her play good now than play rusty in the FO!!

OUT!
May 2nd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Venus has YET to reach her peak. She's just warming up...and I'm definitely liking it!!!
Good luck in Berlin next week VENUS!!! :banana:Ditto ! :kiss: I'm so excited about the FO.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/huepfen/jumping-smiley-021.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/huepfen/jumping-smiley-021.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/huepfen/jumping-smiley-021.gif

ys
May 2nd, 2004, 05:03 PM
I would not be probably concerned about peaking too early. The problem could be that her opponents see too much of her and they have time to figure out what to do to disrupt her game, which is. obviously, disruptable on clay. Roland Garros could be completely different story. In season 1999 she also went like a tornado through red clay warmups. Only to lose to Schwartz. But anyways, things look good for Venus and she is awesome. If she plays The Cheatah in RG finals, I'll have no problems choosing the side to support..

Rocketta
May 2nd, 2004, 05:03 PM
Yes, I agree it's too early in Venus' ComeBack for fears of peaking too early...

Bright Red
May 2nd, 2004, 06:28 PM
She needs to know she's back on top, more importantly They need to know she's all about business.

The tour is toast!
That's the phrase that pays.

faboozadoo15
May 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM
i don't think she's peaked yet. she is yet to play her game that she will have to use against the top players... not to say anything bad about the players she's played so far, but there's different strategies in venus's game between playing top top players and those who aren't.

SJW
May 2nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
i don't like her playing this much consecutively

she's already hurt her thigh :sad:

Kart
May 2nd, 2004, 10:05 PM
NO!

She's back from a long lay-off. This type of confidence is sorely needed. She needs to know she's back on top, more importantly They need to know she's all about business.

The tour is toast!
For a change, I totally agree.

Rocketta
May 2nd, 2004, 10:06 PM
For a change, I totally agree.
:eek: :eek:

:p

vogus
Jun 1st, 2004, 03:31 PM
alas, it was true... when, in the second week at the French Open, Venus finally ran into a solid Top Tenner who was in the mood to fight, Venus didn't come through with her best tennis, probly because she peaked too early in the claycourt season.

Stamp Paid
Jun 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
I dont think she ever peaked. She just was never tested by a top player in her clay court run. A player wwho could frustrate her and wouldnt let her in.