umpire called a shot by Venus out and Vera
indicated the shot was in until they
corrected the call. This caused Vera to
replay the shot and she ended up a break
point down and then was broken. It takes
a truly great sportsman to do that. Vera
proved that she wants to win fair and
square.
Not many players will do this. I really commend Vera for wanting beat Venus with her good play and not accept bad line calls

K-Dog
May 2nd, 2004, 02:28 AM
I saw that, I didn't expect Vera to give Venus anything in that match, but she was a good sport about that line call. I remember thinking to myself, "You got to be kdding me, that ball was soooo in!!"

Seenus
May 2nd, 2004, 02:32 AM
I am impressed!

spencercarlos
May 2nd, 2004, 03:03 AM
I read this on another board:

Not many players will do this. I really commend Vera for wanting beat Venus with her good play and not accept bad line calls

Wow she is really learning from Henin.. Welldone Vera ;) show what real sportsmanship is

LindsayRocks89
May 2nd, 2004, 03:13 AM
great sport Vera :)

Knizzle
May 2nd, 2004, 03:20 AM
I guess a thread about sportsmanship doesn't attract too many replies on this board, lol.

Epigone
May 2nd, 2004, 03:37 AM
I'm proud of Vera, but I wouldn't expect any less of her. She knew that she would be cheating both Venus and herself if she didn't speak up. She showed to everyone that she values honesty above winning :yeah:.

Jane
May 2nd, 2004, 03:51 AM
Bravo to Vera for her good sportsmanship.

BigTennisFan
May 2nd, 2004, 04:02 AM
It's especially refreshing with today's mindset of win at any cost. :)

silverwhite
May 2nd, 2004, 04:33 AM
Wow! I'm impressed. Didn't expect her to have such sportsmanship.

ico4498
May 2nd, 2004, 05:32 AM
Jenny did the same thing early in her career. i remember one commentator cynically remarking that she'd know better in a few years.

seems like the more seasoned players adopt a more flexible approach. some calls go for yah and some don't ... usually they balance themselves out over time.

kudos to Vera anyway!

hingis-seles
May 2nd, 2004, 05:40 AM
:)

victory1
May 2nd, 2004, 06:39 AM
I saw that too while I was watching my tape. I was so shock, she just turned to the umpire and said the ball was in, it was a deuce point, so it would have have been advantage Vera, but she replayed the point and it was advantage Venus, and then Venus won the other point and broke her serve. I can't help but admire her, she definitely earned my respect, I'm seeing her through a new set of eyes!

Alan
May 2nd, 2004, 06:55 AM
WOW! that is trully admirable :)

vs1
May 2nd, 2004, 07:06 AM
VERA!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Kisses all around!!! :bounce:

switz
May 2nd, 2004, 07:17 AM
VERA!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Kisses all around!!! :bounce:

skank!! ;)

vs1
May 2nd, 2004, 07:36 AM
skank!! ;)
Don't you know? I'm practicing for you! :hehehe: :kiss:

ghosts
May 2nd, 2004, 07:46 AM
Vera :kiss:

sarza
May 2nd, 2004, 07:49 AM
vera is sooooo lovely :)

tennnisfannn
May 2nd, 2004, 08:43 AM
Good for you Vera. I have just been watching the Vera/Venus wimby and the second set was incredible, a few great rallies and was definitely much closer than the scoreline reflected.

GoGoMaggie
May 2nd, 2004, 08:46 AM
I guess a thread about sportsmanship doesn't attract too many replies on this board, lol.
Because it's started by an obsessed Willy fan which is totally not worth writing in.

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 09:03 AM
Well done....that´s the way it should be. Maybe you know who can take notice.

SJW
May 2nd, 2004, 09:29 AM
She showed to everyone that she values honesty above winning :yeah:.
if only other players felt like that :)

this isn't surprising to be honest...great, but not surprising. i heard that she gets along well with Venus.

she may be a headcase, but the fact she prefers being honest over a tarnished win means she's got something that more accomplished players have not, and will not ever have :yeah:

SJW
May 2nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
Because it's started by an obsessed Willy fan which is totally not worth writing in.
and you wrote in it, so who's the idiot? :shrug:

skanky~skanketta
May 2nd, 2004, 10:05 AM
ROTF!!!!

servenrichie
May 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM
Well maybe the current number 1 can learn something from Vera;)
I watched the match live yesterday, Veras biggest problem is keeping her anger under control.

daniela86
May 2nd, 2004, 11:01 AM
Vera :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:) I am so proud of her!!!!! :)

pav
May 2nd, 2004, 11:09 AM
Well maybe the current number 1 can learn something from Vera;)
I watched the match live yesterday, Veras biggest problem is keeping her anger under control.

Vera's temper reminds Me of a pet possum I had when I was a kid,He always wanted to ride around on My shoulder, it always started out alright,then as time went on the little bugger would start digging His claws in, and it would get worse and worse until the only way to stop it was to throw Him off! Vera's temper seems to treat Her like that
good on You for the line calling Vera

Shuji Shuriken
May 2nd, 2004, 11:14 AM
A true display of sportsmanship by Vera :worship: :worship:. This is definitely a refreshing example, because occurances like these are so rare in any sport today, which is so sad :(. Well done Vera :kiss:

Foot_Fault
May 2nd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Reply:
Originally Posted by SJW

TO TO TO FUNNY. Is it me or does GOGOMaggie CONSTANTLY Shits over Ice trying to make water?

Wisen Up GoGo...we know you Love Venus and Serena!:lol: