PDA

View Full Version : US Team not to go to Athens?

tenn_ace
May 1st, 2004, 11:04 PM
I read somewhere that US officials are close to making a decision not to send its team to Athens due to security reasons... In fact, Marc Spitz has been mentioned in this article as a person suggesting this outcome.

Do you think this decision is really justified? Would you support it?

If that happens, would the Olympic Games still create interest throughout the world? in the US?

tenn_ace
May 1st, 2004, 11:07 PM
BTW, the article mentioned that this proposition has a very strong lobby in the Bush administration due to the timing of the Games (few months before the elections).

Lord Chips
May 1st, 2004, 11:14 PM
A British newspaper did an article about how lax the secruity is around the building sites and how easy it would be to plot an attack. If I was competing I would be thinking twice

tenn_ace
May 1st, 2004, 11:25 PM
has anything ever happened in Greece? I mean any terrorist attacks?

*JR*
May 1st, 2004, 11:30 PM
Wouldn't this be the very type of "surrender" Bush has vowed not to do? (Athletes staying home being their own decisions, I guess). BTW, I never cared much for the cost and pageantry of the Olympics anyway; it took Montreal ova 20 years to pay off the debt of the '76 games, for example. IMO, a sport (or group of them) can have its own World Cup type showcase.

Lord Chips
May 1st, 2004, 11:33 PM
:wavey: Hello Bri

I think the big problem is how late they are in finishing the stadia. The chances are if a terrorist wanted to cause some damage, they would easily be hired to work on building the stadia and could easily plant explosives etc.

Lord Chips
May 1st, 2004, 11:41 PM
Indeed. It's a far to tempting target

toreador
May 2nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
apart from november 17, what i do know is that foreign terrorists have often gone to greece to seek out victims that represent foreign states. these groups have been arab, usually palestinian, who select american and israeli targets and kurdish and armenian groups choosing turkish targets. the kurdish pkk, the abu nidal group, the popular struggle front, the pflp, the plo, black september as well as lebanese shiite groups all have very active cells in greece.

....and greece has had a horrible record for detaining them.
i think i only know about november 17...and they didnt catch all the terrorists from this organisation.
i heard that bush said the us team would come in greece cos he believes the security will be fine:rolleyes:
itll be a miracle if there arent any attacks during the games...

BigTennisFan
May 2nd, 2004, 04:53 AM
Wouldn't this be the very type of "surrender" Bush has vowed not to do? (Athletes staying home being their own decisions, I guess). BTW, I never cared much for the cost and pageantry of the Olympics anyway; it took Montreal ova 20 years to pay off the debt of the '76 games, for example. IMO, a sport (or group of them) can have its own World Cup type showcase.
Well, our LA games made money in 1984 and those stupid assholes who run the IOC were actually embarrased that Peter Ueberoth did not hock the city like all the other cities did. :tape:

toreador
May 2nd, 2004, 05:00 AM
Indeed. It's a far to tempting target
yeah but its because all the countries that were for the war will have their represantatives here...Greece wasnt on any one's side.

Rtael
May 2nd, 2004, 06:32 AM
:haha: :lol: :retard: :cuckoo:

I don't think my home is secure enough either. I better not go home anymore.

rand
May 3rd, 2004, 10:05 AM
perhaps. but if that decision were to be made, i wouldn't call it surrender. i would call it prudent.
I would call it paranoid....but hey, more medals for the other countries is always a good thing I guess :banana:

charmedRic
May 3rd, 2004, 02:08 PM
I really hope it doesn't come to a US withdrawal from the Olympics.

Joana
May 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
So what's next? Everybody will be locked inside thier homes forever afraid of terrorists?

Paneru
May 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
:haha: :lol: :retard: :cuckoo:

I don't think my home is secure enough either. I better not go home anymore.

Amen to that! :worship: :lol: