PDA

View Full Version : Williams vs Kuznetsova - Warsaw final

Volcana
May 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM
Interstingly, the two semis had the same score.
H2H is even.

03 Aus Open V.Wiiliams 6-4 6-2
04 Dubai Kuznetsova 6-2 6-3

Just to save everyone the trouble. Yes Venus was having trouble in the first few tournaments of her comeback, and seems to have righted the ship now. And yes, a straight set win the last time out is a straight set winthe last time out.

Many, many, many more winners, on both the winning and losing side, in Kuznetsova's semis as opposed to Venus'. I'm not even bothering with a prediction, you all already know what I'd say.

sartrista7
May 1st, 2004, 02:31 PM
Very tough to predict... both girls are on fire this week. I'd probably pick Vee if I absolutely had to... but this could go either way, and will be a great gauge of where each player is at.

Sveta's lost two finals this year already... I hope she takes this one :)

sarza
May 1st, 2004, 02:33 PM
go sveta :banana:

Sammm
May 1st, 2004, 02:38 PM
I'm torn!

Freewoman33
May 1st, 2004, 02:42 PM
Venus in two easy sets. Sveta got lucky in Dubai, just like Vera in Paris. Venus seems to be healthy and playing great tennis on what is said to be her worse surface.

lizchris
May 1st, 2004, 02:44 PM
I pick Venus too, even though some thnk she might be injured because her left thigh is strapped.

Ballbuster
May 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
Venus is fighting for her reputation to be restored. She's not about to let this one slip, especially since she's in command of the tour.

All eyes are on V.

She knows this and thereby will deliver and WILL regain her FEAR factor. This is a no-brainer. She is on FIYA!!!

flyingmachine
May 1st, 2004, 02:46 PM
COME ON KUZNETSOVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://smileys.******************/cat/4/4_17_11.gif

SerenaSlam
May 1st, 2004, 02:51 PM
so many russians venus is always facing. i hope venus in 2 easy sets, but i really just hope for a venus win :)

charmedRic
May 1st, 2004, 02:54 PM
I pick Venus too, even though some thnk she might be injured because her left thigh is strapped.
hmmm the wrap might be pre-emptive.

I pick Venus as well. :bounce: :)

PointBlank
May 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM
Udachi Lana :rocker2:

lizchris
May 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM
hmmm the wrap might be pre-emptive.

I pick Venus as well. :bounce: :)
I think it is too.

Spunky83
May 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM
Kuznetsova in three sets. They both are in perfect physical conditions. Should be a great rally.

fammmmedspin
May 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM
Unwisely judging from the stats (and either the opponents were pretty comparable or Schiavone was playing better) venus will win if she plays a lot better than today and Kuznetsova will win if they both play at the same level.

Freewoman33
May 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Judging by the score, if Venus plays better than she played today, it'll be blowout.

WF4EVER
May 1st, 2004, 03:08 PM
Can somebody answer this question for me?

I was looking at some nice picks at the venussernafans site, taken by soberry, who's attending the tournament and I noticed a Rav4 on display there. Does the winner of this tournament receive a Rav4? I noticed the TOYOTA sign on the scoreboard as well.

Another thing. When did Venus get her thigh wrapped yesterday? When she was serving in the first set at 3-1, 40-15? she didn't appear to have the wrap on.

WF4EVER
May 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM
Another important question re Venus vs Kuznetsova is "Can Venus play better than she did today?"

What do you think?

Experimentee
May 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM
I think Venus will win this time. She seems to be in good form, judging by the scores of her wins. Stats are very often misleading. Sveta seems to be in great form too, but I think Venus in good form is better than Sveta in good form. But it should be a tough match.

silverwhite
May 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM
I like both of them, but I'm guessing Venus in 3.

the cat
May 1st, 2004, 03:14 PM
Venus Williams is playing well and that's good to see. But Venus hasn't played a player as strong and as durable as Kuznetsova is in her comeback. I think Kuznetsova will grind Venus down and win 4-6 6-4 6-3.

joeshmo50
May 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM
I would be cautious about saying Venus is going to definitely win this if this match were at any other stage in a tournament. But it is the FINALS. Venus ALWAYS comes into a final with her head on straight and her determination level is through the roof. That fact has to play a factor in predicting the outcome.

jenny161185
May 1st, 2004, 03:21 PM
tough one to call Ill go with the Cat and say Sveta in 3 or Venus in 2

Freewoman33
May 1st, 2004, 03:25 PM
Kunetsova will win 2 to 4 games total.

Cybelle Darkholme
May 1st, 2004, 03:25 PM
Both are playing well and this is a fifty fifty chance to win for either player

I'm cheering for the goddess. Go VENUS!

WF4EVER
May 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM
It's anybody's match as long as they show up to play, but personally, Venus will always be my favourite and therefore, I'd like to see her win.

Paneru
May 1st, 2004, 03:28 PM
Venus Williams is playing well and that's good to see. But Venus hasn't played a player as strong and as durable as Kuznetsova is in her comeback. I think Kuznetsova will grind Venus down and win 4-6 6-4 6-3.

Can we say Dubai! ;)

This Venus isn't the Venus Kuznetsova played in just a couple of months ago in Dubai. Vee knows her game and I suspect Vee will be hitting that net like crazy tommorrow. She really hasn't had to these past two matches but I think she will tommorrow.

Kuznetsova will give her a fight but,
I say Venus in 2!

Infiniti2001
May 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM
I would be cautious about saying Venus is going to definitely win this if this match were at any other stage in a tournament. But it is the FINALS. Venus ALWAYS comes into a final with her head on straight and her determination level is through the roof. That fact has to play a factor in predicting the outcome.

If you've also noticed, she hates losing back to back to anyone not last named Williams. I don't believe in predictions-- however I'm just hopng that Miss Venus continues with her winning ways.

http://members.fortunecity.com/infinitiqx2004/1099ec80.jpg

the cat
May 1st, 2004, 03:32 PM
Well said, Kabuke. And this will be a tough match. But I think Sveta likes to play on red clay more than Venus does. I think Sveta needs to win the long points in order to win this match.

Hardiansf
May 1st, 2004, 03:35 PM
Go Venus! Take the second title of this year!

Chance
May 1st, 2004, 03:57 PM
It's great to see Venus making the final!!!
Svetlana's game kinda reminds me of Serena's....this match to me will be Vee's toughest that Vee has had to play in the last 3 weeks....could go either way.

Volcana
May 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
I think Sveta likes to play on red clay more than Venus does.
I would tend to agree, though I'm not inside either of thier heads. However, by the time Venus was Kuznetsova's age she had won Rome once and Hamburg twice. Players develop at different rates of course, but Venus adjusted her game to red clay at a younger age than Kuznetsova.

Ryan
May 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM
I would tend to agree, though I'm not inside either of thier heads. However, by the time Venus was Kuznetsova's age she had won Rome once and Hamburg twice. Players develop at different rates of course, but Venus adjusted her game to red clay at a younger age than Kuznetsova.

...So?

VRULES
May 1st, 2004, 04:05 PM
This is definitely going to be the hardest match for Venus, but I hope Venus wins. I think if it becomes a match of fitness, Vee would win. I don't think Svetlana could stand 2.5-3 hours of slugging with Venus. SHe seemed to get tired against Justine at IW, and this is on clay. SO if Svetlana is going to win I would say in 2 set, But I hope Venus in 2. If she can beat a player like Svetlana who is definitely on the rises to the top ten, after she beat a similar player, it will do wonders for her already "big head."

I just hope Venus stays healthy and gets the wins, but its gonna be a battle.

LindsayRocks89
May 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
hoping vee first of all isn't injured with the wrap around the thigh and secondly i'm hopefully Venus takes home her second title of the year, Good Luck Venus!!!! :bounce:

Andrew.
May 1st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Svetlana *should* be able to win. If she chokes or screws up her game just a bit it's over.

faste5683
May 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM

Good analysis. If Vee serves well, however, Kuznetsova will rough go of it. It will be interesting to see how the forehand exchanges go, since I believe Kuznetsova has the most powerful (not necessarily the best) forehand in womens tennis.

:wavey:

Martian KC
May 1st, 2004, 04:14 PM
Come on Sveta!! Take it!:bounce:

Tompier
May 1st, 2004, 04:16 PM
Venus will win there is no doubt :bounce:

7~LV3
May 1st, 2004, 04:19 PM
I think if Svetlana would win, I dont think that it ms Venus will go down again in 2 sets. Both players are looking forward playing each other in this match, Svetlana knows that ms Venus wasnt her best in Dubai. Im guessing that this would be a 3 set match with ms Venus losing the first set, then thrashing Svetlana in the next 2 sets, ala FCC vs Conchita.

CJ07
May 1st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Well if Venus is injured, then I don't know.

The only thing that matters in the stats are V's DF's and her win percentage on Second serves. Both of which have been solid.

Kuznetsova is playing and serving well, but Venus adjusts her game against different players.

If Venus is healthy, no way will she lose to this girl again.

Venus in 2, maybe three sets

NicoMary
May 1st, 2004, 04:51 PM
If venus serve well she could win in two thought set....she seems to be really focus and hit the ball really hard right now and everybody know that a focus venus still represent a real champion:worship:

Knizzle
May 1st, 2004, 05:10 PM
I think Venus will win in 2. She seems to be focused and she doesn't lose twice to a player very often. Serena is the only one I can think of who has beaten her in consecutive matches in recent memory.

bandabou
May 1st, 2004, 06:07 PM
So now Venus hasnt faced anyone of Svets caliber?! Hello?! Remind me how many titles Svetlana has again?!