PDA

View Full Version : Sjeng Schlaken nearly died today!!!

crazillo
May 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM
The hotel in Rome, where is going to play next week, has caught fire. Several firefighters helped, Andy Roddick as wel. All players survived, but Schalken was close. He even had his cellphone with him just to be able to say the last words to the people that are closest to him.

OMG!!

irma
May 1st, 2004, 01:05 PM
3 people died!

Sammm
May 1st, 2004, 01:05 PM
OMG, Sjeng:eek:

flyingmachine
May 1st, 2004, 01:07 PM
:eek:

Cersei
May 1st, 2004, 01:08 PM
OMG :eek:

crazillo
May 1st, 2004, 01:08 PM
3 people died!

OMG, my source didnt say that.... Its a sad day.
The tournament is gonna played though.....

sarza
May 1st, 2004, 01:09 PM
scary :scared:

GermanBoy
May 1st, 2004, 01:10 PM
Shocked! :eek:

SerialKiller#69
May 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM
Wow.

Dymension
May 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM
OMG :eek: :sad:

irma
May 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM
OMG, my source didnt say that.... Its a sad day.
The tournament is gonna played though.....
It's on teletext here. 1 person jumped out of the window and a married couple closed themselves in the badroom and coudn't be saved anymore. 5 other people were hurt.

Shuji Shuriken
May 1st, 2004, 01:16 PM
:sad:...this is so shocking :sobbing:. Although those three people died :sad:, I'm glad any of the tennis players didn't get hurt.

Sjeng :) :bounce: :kiss:

grmbl
May 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Safin, Volandri, Srichaphan and Mirnyi were also in this hotel

Tennisfan-Mtl
May 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Two Canadians and one American died......

WtaTour4Ever
May 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM
Wow that is so horrible!!

Paneru
May 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM
OMG!!! :eek: :sad:

Tennisfan-Mtl
May 1st, 2004, 01:20 PM
Terrible.............

dreamgoddess099
May 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
Damn, that's horrible.

WilliamzX2
May 1st, 2004, 01:22 PM
that's really awful for all affect...really goes to show how fragile our existence really is.

Spunky83
May 1st, 2004, 01:22 PM
"World number two Andy Roddick helped evacuate guests onto the roof of a blazing hotel, it was revealed this morning. Twenty-one-year-old Roddick forgot tennis and worked with the Rome firefighters to save lives following a dramatic fire in one of the capital's best-known hotels, the Parco dei Principi.

Three people died and five were injured in the blaze, which ripped through several floors of the luxurious hotel where around thirty of the world's best players were staying. None of the players was injured. 'Roddick helped people onto the roof,' said Nicola Arzani, communications director in Rome for the ATP. 'Several of the players had a real fright. I talked to a few of them this morning, and I know that Safin, his trainer and his girlfriend were quite shacken up,'

Two players, Italy's Filippo Volandri (ATP ranking 64), and Dutch star Sjeng Schalken (30) were both evacuated from the hotel using firefighters' cranes. An American guest died after trying to lower himself to the street using a sheet, according to local news reports. An elderly Canadian couple also perished in the blaze.

Around 30 Telecom Italia Masters players were staying at the Parco dei Principi, according to tournament management. Most were in Rome to participate in the main draw, which starts on Monday. Only one Italian player, Giorgio Galimberti. was due to play in the qualifying event, which takes place today. Several players were spotted early this morning in the players' lounge wrapped in blankets and wearing slippers. Telecom Italia Masters organisers have found alternative accommodation, and the tournament will take place as scheduled.

Umpires called for a minute of silence out of respect for the victims before today's qualifying matches.

Hotel staff were letting players back into their rooms were possible this morning. It is unclear as yet whether rackets were lost in the blaze.

The cause of the fire is unknown."

Taken from http://www.telecomitaliamasters.com/TelecomMaster/home.jsp?language=2

this is really shocking. Well done, Andy.

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM
:o :tears:

I guess the players will feel invincible when they play tennis now, puts it in a whole different perspective.

Spunky83
May 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM
"Three dead in tennis hotel blaze: players unharmed
Three people died in a fire at the Parco dei Principi in Rome early this morning. Several of the world's best tennis players were staying at the well-known hotel when the blaze began at 5am, though all those due to play at the Telecom Italia Masters are reported unharmed. The hotel director said guests set fire to a room on the third floor. The hotel was badly damaged by the blaze.

=================================================

Three die in Rome hotel fire
01/05/2004 10:17 - (SA)

Rome - Three people died and five were injured when a fire broke out in a bedroom of one of Rome's most luxurious hotels, firefighters said.

The blaze broke out in the early hours, gutting two rooms on the third floor of the Parco dei Principi hotel near Rome's Villa Borghese.

The identities of the dead were not immediately available.

Firefighters said an investigation into the blaze was under way, and the possibility of a criminal act had not been ruled out.

According to an unconfirmed report from the hotel management, the fire broke out shortly after a couple of foreign visitors returned to the establishment completely drunk

==============================================

Three Dead in Hotel Fire

A fire broke out at a luxury hotel in the Italian capital early today, killing an American and two Canadians, fire officials said.

News reports said police were questioning two people, believed to be foreigners.

The fire broke out before dawn in a room on the third floor of the Parco dei Principe hotel near Rome’s Villa Borghese park, said a fire official.

One man, believed to be the American, threw himself from the window of the hotel and died, the official said.

Two other people, a Canadian couple, were found dead in their room, he said.

The blaze spread to other rooms on the floor, forcing the evacuation of the hotel’s guests.

The ANSA news agency said two young people, believed to be Americans, had been taken in for questioning by police.

It quoted a third floor guest, Antonello D’Arielli, as saying he had seen the two leaving room 305 – where the blaze originated – shortly after the fire alarm rang.

ANSA said the two had apparently returned to the hotel at around 5am and were drunk.

The fire official said he had no information on the report."

some more news...sorry I know that this is not the mensī forum

WF4EVER
Thank God only three people died. Shocking news, ntl.

Roxers
Sjeng Schalken:

"1 may
Today Ricky (my wife) and I nearly died in our hotel in Rome. We were on the seventh floor, when a fire errupted on the third floor. At about 5 AM the smoke woke us up. The seventh floor is the highest floor of the hotel.

The only place we could go to was the balcony, because the hall was full of smoke. When we opened our door, four people who were stuck in the hallway ran inside our room. On our floor three people suffocated in that hall due to the thick smoke.

We quickly put on some clothes and took our cellphone with us, just in case we wouldn't make it, so we would be able to call our loved ones and tell them our last words. From our balcony we managed to climb on the roof of the sixth floor.

We waited there for an hour and a half because the people of the other side of the hotel had to be rescued first. Then firefighters helped ricky off the roof. Half an hour later I went downstairs accompanied by a firefighter and a few other guests.

The fire errupted on the third floor. Paradorn Srichaphans father slept next to the room where it started. Max Mirnyi and Marat Safin were also on that floor and escaped just in time. Filippo Volandri slept in the room above the one where the fire started and the fire fighters had to use a crane to get him out of his room.

Another person died (the fourth one) because he jumped out of the window on the fourth floor. Because the fire alarm did not work, loads of people didn't wake up untill much later. Some people on the first and second floor didn't wake up untill seven o'clock, we were saved by then.

Right now we are in a different hotel and our stuff has just been delivered. It's all damaged, but at least we our both alive. We are really shocked and are really upset, but also so happy that we are still alive and well.

Sjeng en Ricky"

SpikeyAidanm
Andy :worship:

lionel
May 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM
Yeah.
The fire was caused by two drunk american girls.
The italian tv interwiewed Di mauro and Zabaleta and they were very scared.

Shuji Shuriken
May 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Andy :worship:
I love this dude :hearts:. Why people hate him, I don't know, but he is so cool and down to earth :worship: :worship:

Spunky83
May 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Sorry, canīt say. Itīs written on the offical rome site.

sarza
May 1st, 2004, 01:31 PM
thats sooo horrible poor people, andy :worship:

irma
May 1st, 2004, 01:33 PM
Great that Andy was able to put his own fear aside and helped others :)

and alcohol sucks :(

Mattographer
May 1st, 2004, 01:39 PM
:eek: Gladly he's OK now!

crazillo
May 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
Well, that shows how uminportant tennis is...

polishprodigy
May 1st, 2004, 01:45 PM
wow :eek:

this is so sad! :( but thank goodness Sjeng survived and blessed Andy for helping out!

charmedRic
May 1st, 2004, 01:49 PM
Amazing :eek: Too sad about the victims, fortunately no tournament players were harmed. I hope all of them are able to cope with this to the best of their abilities.

jenny161185
May 1st, 2004, 02:14 PM
wow sounds very serious its always sad when ppl die in tragedies like this

Allez-H
May 1st, 2004, 02:21 PM
This just shows how unpredictable life is....

Experimentee
May 1st, 2004, 02:37 PM
:sad: for the people who died

:worship: at Andy, it was nice of him to help. Probably others were helping too but they mentioned him bc he was famous.

Rocketta
May 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
:sad: :sad: That's awful!

Why didn't this hotel have fire alarms...Hell if this was a luxary hotel why didn't they have a sprinkler system? :fiery:

Yes, alcoholics suck but a fire could start for many reasons and a hotel should be prepared for that. :(

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 03:18 PM
Three people were killed and Andy Roddick, Marat Safin and several other tennis players were evacuated after a fire broke out at a luxury hotel early Saturday morning.

Two Canadian guests died in their room and an American jumped from his window and died.

No players were injured, ATP Tour spokesman Nicola Arzani said. The players were staying in the five-star Parco dei Principi hotel while competing at the Italian Open, which begins Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Arzani said the players were evacuated at about 5 a.m. and stood outside for several hours until they were taken to the nearby Austrian Embassy. They were later allowed back to the hotel to retrieve belongings.

Severak players had their rackets and other equipment damaged, and were forced to reschedule their practices.

``A lot of people lost equipment,'' Arzani said. ``Safin lost a lot, he couldn't practice today.''

Arzani said he didn't know how many players were staying at the hotel since some were still arriving from other tournaments.

In addition to the second-ranked Roddick and the Russian star Safin, Mariano Zabaleta of Argentina and Max Mirnyi of Belarus were also evacuated.

Mirnyi was seen outside the hotel following the evacuation, covering himself with a blanket while wearing only shorts.

The American who died was identified as James Lawery, from Georgia. The Canadian couple's names were Bernice Mary Joan Busque and Paul Emile Busque, and their hometowns were not known.

The blaze spread to other rooms on the floor and smoke billowed throughout the hotel, forcing the guests to evacuate.

Police questioned two Americans, who have spoken with a U.S. consular official, a U.S. Embassy spokesman said.

katrientje
May 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM
OMG, i didn't know, that is just terrible
I feel sorry for the victims, but I am glad the players got out!!

Zamboni
May 1st, 2004, 03:34 PM
3 deads doesn't sound a lot to me, reading Sjengs story, and the other reports. It's still too much of course, and a hotel like this should have begtter alarm systems :mad: :sad:

:worship: for Andy yeah, he must have been lucky and able to get away quickly.

joaco
May 1st, 2004, 03:39 PM
Zabaleta was also there as well....

This is shocking news :eek: I don't know what to say. Just all my condolences to the people that died, and hope that the tennis players (and everyone who survived) can overcome this moment of shock.

Joaco

Mathijs
May 1st, 2004, 03:47 PM
wow sjeng i'm really shocked to read this!!! :eek:

ace4lleykim
May 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Wow that was a very shocked news. :sad::sad::sobbing: I'm glad the players are ok. But those who died:sad::tears:

spiceboy
May 1st, 2004, 04:19 PM
The fire was caused by two drunk american girls.

Please tell me they weren't Andy & Jan Michael :tape: :tape: :tape:

Richie77
May 1st, 2004, 04:30 PM
How awful ! :sad: that three people died

Way to go Andy, for being so brave :)

Havok
May 1st, 2004, 04:31 PM
Please tell me they weren't Andy & Jan Michael :tape: :tape: :tape::haha::haha:

but Andy was the one helping people to a safe place :retard: lets think before we post :wavey:

spiceboy
May 1st, 2004, 04:41 PM
:haha::haha:

but Andy was the one helping people to a safe place :retard: lets think before we post :wavey:
Well, maybe he was just feeling awful :o :o :p

ĪCharlDaĪ
May 1st, 2004, 04:45 PM
:eek: :sad:

rated_next
May 1st, 2004, 04:57 PM

LiliaLee-Frazier
May 1st, 2004, 04:59 PM
:sad: My prayers and thoughts are with all the peoples familys of the people who passed away....thank god nobody else passed away :bigcry:

caramel
May 1st, 2004, 05:15 PM
Thatīs truly shocking. :sad:
Way to go, Roddick. (I canīt believe that I just said that...:o)

caramel
May 1st, 2004, 05:18 PM
Please tell me they weren't Andy & Jan Michael :tape: :tape: :tape:
I mean itīs not nice to make jokes about something like that considering that 3 people got killed but that was a good one. :rolleyes:

Princess Fiona
May 1st, 2004, 05:22 PM
That's awful!! My condolences to the loved ones of those who died... :sad: What awful news...

I'm pleased that the tennis players got out. My thoughts are with everyone touched by this... Just awful... :sad:

JennyS
May 1st, 2004, 05:47 PM
Andy did a really great thing to help the people. My thoughts are with the familes and friends of the people who died.

harloo
May 1st, 2004, 05:50 PM
OMG!! How sad. Did the hotel have a sprinkler system? I was in a hotel once that had one and when someone left on a hot plate in the hotel it came on and we were all wet and had too leave the premises. It was kind of scandalous, but at least we were safe.

BlinX
May 1st, 2004, 05:50 PM
Roddick, Safin among evacuated amid fatal hotel fire in Italy
May 1, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

ROME -- Three people were killed and Andy Roddick, Marat Safin and several other tennis players were evacuated after a fire broke out at a luxury hotel early Saturday morning.

Advertisement

Two Canadian guests died in their room and an American jumped from his window and died.

No players were injured, ATP Tour spokesman Nicola Arzani said. The players were staying in the five-star Parco dei Principi hotel while competing at the Italian Open, which begins Monday.

Arzani said the players were evacuated at about 5 a.m. and stood outside for several hours until they were taken to the nearby Austrian Embassy. They were later allowed back to the hotel to retrieve belongings.

Severak players had their rackets and other equipment damaged, and were forced to reschedule their practices.

"A lot of people lost equipment," Arzani said. "Safin lost a lot, he couldn't practice today."

Arzani said he didn't know how many players were staying at the hotel since some were still arriving from other tournaments.

In addition to the second-ranked Roddick and the Russian star Safin, Mariano Zabaleta of Argentina and Max Mirnyi of Belarus were also evacuated.

Mirnyi was seen outside the hotel following the evacuation, covering himself with a blanket while wearing only shorts.

The American who died was identified as James Lawery, from Georgia. The Canadian couple's names were Bernice Mary Joan Busque and Paul Emile Busque, and their hometowns were not known.

The blaze spread to other rooms on the floor and smoke billowed throughout the hotel, forcing the guests to evacuate.

Police questioned two Americans, who have spoken with a U.S. consular official, a U.S. Embassy spokesman said.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

King Aaron
May 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM
:sad: :eek: That's terrible. I'm glad all of the players are okay. My condolences to the 3 person who passed away.

kiekeboe
May 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
OMG!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:sad: :sad: condolences to the families of the victims.

Hantuchov
May 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM

Poor 3 people who died :sad: :sad: :sad:

New_balls_please
May 1st, 2004, 06:22 PM
Omg

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 1st, 2004, 06:53 PM
:sad::sad:

brunof
May 1st, 2004, 07:15 PM
:sad: Sad, Sad, Sad. My thoughts are with the families involved in this fire. :sad: Makes me shiver. :( Sjeng :hug:

Mariangelina
May 1st, 2004, 07:16 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

My condolences to the families of the victims. It just shows you how fragile things really are.

Joseosu19
May 1st, 2004, 07:26 PM
Condolences to the three who died...hope none were members on here. :sad:

spiceboy
May 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040501/capt.rom13505011445.italy_fire_rom135.jpg

Tennis players Mariano Zabaleta of Argentina, left, and Andy Roddick of the United States leave the luxury Parco dei Principe hotel near Rome's Villa Borghese park, Saturday, May 1, 2004 where a fire broke out killing an American and two Canadians, fire officials said. The fire broke out before dawn in a room on the third floor of the hotel. (AP Photo/Plinio Lepri)

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040501/i/r1365369830.jpg (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/sp/081401atproddick&a=&tmpl=sl&ns=&l=0&e=1&a=0&printer=)

U.S. tennis player Andy Roddick leaves Hotel Parco dei Principi, one of Rome's most prestigious hotels, after a fire started at the hotel, early May 1, 2004. A Canadian couple and an American died in a fire on Saturday, a spokesman for the city's fire service said. Among the guest were several tennis player in town for the Rome Open Tennis Master next week. REUTERS/Max Rossi

foreva lindsay
May 1st, 2004, 09:12 PM
i read about this in the MTF but i hadnt read what sjeng said, he could have died :eek: :sad:
im so glad he and the other players didnt :hug:
but sad for those who did :sad:

1jackson2001
May 1st, 2004, 09:30 PM
My condolences to this horrible news.

tennisluver99
May 1st, 2004, 09:55 PM
I hope those drunks are punished and thrown in jail for a long long time.

LiliaLee-Frazier
May 1st, 2004, 09:58 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040501/capt.rom13505011445.italy_fire_rom135.jpg

Tennis players Mariano Zabaleta of Argentina, left, and Andy Roddick of the United States leave the luxury Parco dei Principe hotel near Rome's Villa Borghese park, Saturday, May 1, 2004 where a fire broke out killing an American and two Canadians, fire officials said. The fire broke out before dawn in a room on the third floor of the hotel. (AP Photo/Plinio Lepri)

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040501/i/r1365369830.jpg (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/sp/081401atproddick&a=&tmpl=sl&ns=&l=0&e=1&a=0&printer=)

U.S. tennis player Andy Roddick leaves Hotel Parco dei Principi, one of Rome's most prestigious hotels, after a fire started at the hotel, early May 1, 2004. A Canadian couple and an American died in a fire on Saturday, a spokesman for the city's fire service said. Among the guest were several tennis player in town for the Rome Open Tennis Master next week. REUTERS/Max Rossi
Mariano is soo cute..nice shorts ANDY!!! :lol: Looks like somthng Bob Hope would have worn ;) When did Andy die is hair blonde ?? Right after he broke up with Mandy and came out ?? heheh :hearts: :kiss:

Giuliano
May 1st, 2004, 10:08 PM
This guy is not Zabaleta. It's Lapentti.

vettipooh
May 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM
Thank God for the safety of the tennis players!!!It's unfortunate that this tragedy happened,and resulted in loss of life.Makes you kind of appreciate your life a whole lot more.Take nothing for granted.It could have been worse.I'm sure they are all pretty much nervous and anxious,along with their families.Hopefully they can remain focused for the tournament,but that's a tough call!!!!

spiceboy
May 3rd, 2004, 03:34 PM
Timely call saves tennis ace from fire

May 03 2004 at 11:21AM
http://www.itechnology.co.za/data/mastheads//mast_23.gif (http://www.itechnology.co.za/index.php)

Berlin - German tennis star Tommy Haas admitted a timely phone call saved his life after a fire engulfed his luxury Rome hotel ahead of the Italian Open which begins on Monday.

Haas, 26, was asleep in his fifth floor room at the Parco dei Principi hotel unaware that a fire was spreading two floors below him, eventually claiming the lives of three people.

He was woken up by a phone call at 5.30am on Saturday from coach Red Ayme urging him to escape the building at once.

"I opened the door and and just saw thick smoke," Haas told daily Bild. "An old couple were gasping for air and there was panic everywhere."

"I used my t-shirt to cover my mouth and ran through the fire exit.

"I really feared for my life."

The fire had spread from the third floor and Haas acknowledges a later phone call could have been fatal.

"I had a lot of luck," confessed Haas, a recent winner of the Houston tournament. "If my coach had rang me ten minutes later there is a good chance I would be dead."

A Canadian couple and an American man died in the blaze, while other tennis players such as Andy Roddick, Marat Safin and Nicolas Massu were evacuated in time. - Sapa-AFP

hewittrok
May 3rd, 2004, 04:14 PM
:eek: wow:eek:

miranda_lou
May 3rd, 2004, 08:51 PM
Why didn't this hotel have fire alarms...Hell if this was a luxary hotel why didn't they have a sprinkler system?
You would be surprised how many "luxury" hotels don't have fire alarms or sprinkler systems.:( Expecially those old hotels in Europe and around the world. If all of you will think back over the years, there have been several hotel fires around the world and, after each one of them, the papers say there were no alarms or sprinklers. Everybody is sorry, people are fired and things go on as usual.:rolleyes: I'm terrified of staying in those old hotels.

If the fire was indeed started by two American girls, I hope they receive what they deserve. Getting drunk is pretty awful but to do something that takes the lives of three people is unforgivable. (I would like to know their names. Reading that they have already contacted the American Embassy leads me to believe they might be two little rich girls, with connections.)