PDA

View Full Version : Monica Seles Stabbing

BlinX
May 1st, 2004, 04:37 AM
:sad: I know that this is a very touchy subject and I'm sorry but today is obviuosly the 11th year anniversary of the Monica Seles stabbing and I have a few questions. I am 14 and I was just wondering if someone could write out for me what happened on that day? Who did it? Why? What happened after? Please if you could write and tell me about it thanks. :sad:

Andrew.
May 1st, 2004, 04:45 AM
K. At the Hamburg tournament, Monica was playing Magdalena Maleeva, and on a change of ends a diranged Steffi Graf finatic stabbed Monica in the back. Maleeva was almost unconsolable after that, and Monica was wheeled off court. The images are absolutely haunting still. Of both Monica and Maggie.

The fan was tried in a German court where he was let off on time served. Monca vowed never to play in Germany again.

She came back and won the Canadian Open, then made the finals of the US Open before falling to Graf in a bitterly ironic twist of fate.

faboozadoo15
May 1st, 2004, 04:53 AM
even more bitterly because monica won that first set :devil:
(monica seles, 1995 US open champion 7-6 6-0)

the german court system seemed strange to the outside world because it seemed to focus more on protecting the quality of life of the criminal than it did of correcting a grave injustice. i don't know nearly enough about the german judiciary to say anything deeper, but pretty much, gunther parche got let off easy... community service i believe for assault, not intent to kill.

then monica attempted to seek reparation against the german tennis federation and was ordered to pay the court cost...

MrYonex
May 1st, 2004, 04:54 AM
It was a very tragic time in tennis. Monica was the most dominant player in the game, and this man wanted to see that Steffi Graf became #1 again. As stated above, the man leaned over the railing and stabbed Monica in the back. The images from that day are horrific and they represent just how vunerable athletes are!

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 05:39 AM
Before that match, Monica had won 7 out of the last 8 majors she had entered, had a win-loss record of 55-1 in the past eight majors and was only 19 years of age.

That knife changed the course of women's tennis history and breathed new life into the career of a player who it seemed would have to settle for second best for the rest of her career.

Veritas
May 1st, 2004, 05:51 AM
I have a funny feeling that it was a conspiracy set up by the German "justice" system to do their part to knock Monica out of the game and keep Steffi on the top.

Greenout
May 1st, 2004, 06:39 AM
I think people on this board who were too young should know and
understand what happened. It's important in these times because of
the brutal and rude faction wars on the internet. I pray that something
this horrible and worthless never happens in tennis again. Sometimes
I think people get caught up too much in tennis rivalries and start
taking it too personally.

Live and learn everyone. Don't ruin the sport. Please respect all the
players as people. :)

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 07:11 AM
Here's my homework from last term.

Theme: “Accident”

Form: Personal Writing
Voice: 23 year old man living in Germany

The wind whispered through the centre court, it brought with it a sensitive and sweet smell of the flowers courtside. I appreciated the ongoing refreshing moment. It was the April of 1993, when I attended the Citizen Cup tennis tournament in Hamburg, I felt free and fulfilled. The feeling of being all together with 6,000 spectators all watching the same match and experiencing the same atmosphere.

The two players in battle for a semi-final spot, Miss Seles and Miss Maleeva took their seats.

It all happened within a blink of the eye.
A stocky and intense gentleman caught my attention. He was situated just three rows below me. He wore a loose fitting black T-shirt, oversized trousers and a grey baseball cap.

I was not surprised that he was standing up but what was unusual was his body posture. He appeared to be impatient, maybe even drunk. He was leaning over his row, just behind Miss Seles’ seat. My first impressions were that this gentleman was trying to get her autograph, I already realised a problem was going to eventuate.

Along with the all the innocent spectators in the vast stadium, I was unprepared for what was to happen next.

The gentleman raised out a knife from his paper shopping bag. A unison of murmurs emitted from sections of the stadium, I became uncomfortable and began to feel extremely insecure.

The knife was fairly long and reminded me of the kitchen knife I use at home to prepare meals.

Miss Seles left her seat walking slowly to the Southern section to return serve. She took a towel with her to wipe off the seat. Within a few long painful seconds, the gentleman was metres behind Miss Seles. He took a few trembling steps and slowly held the knife with both hands and stabbed Miss Seles in the back.

The wind became salty.

A sudden soft high pitched and sharp sting filled the stadium. There was silence that contained the stadium. Everyone was confused, I felt stupefied, as if I was in horror movie nightmare that I could not escape. Struggling to come to terms with the reality in front of me, I continued to watch with my watery eyes in disbelief.

Miss Seles looked around to see the man being held by spectators. It already came to me that Miss Seles was a different person, her body language made her look weak and her facial expression was in agony. She was no longer the giggly flamboyant teenager that ruled the court. The tennis court would never be what it was for her.

She slowly grabbed her back, looked at her hand and saw blood. The blood was a bright red, which was very distinct even amongst the clay of the court. Miss Seles suddenly fainted onto the ground.

The smell of blood had changed the atmosphere of the entire stadium. It had fuelled anger and a helpless frustration, I felt slightly paralyzed. My brain did not seem to respond naturally to my body, it was the only instance in my life where I had experienced such a sensation of feeling completely inert.

I took a deep breath and tried to swallow some air to breath. Instead, I swallowed the bloody, odorless and painful wind. I was also a victim of the circumstances and surroundings around me; life would never be the same.

slice
May 1st, 2004, 07:19 AM
does ne1 have a pic of maleeva's reaction? coz i no that seles and the tennis world etc would never be the same, but undoubtedly maleeva wouldve suffered as a result of the stabbing as well...

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 08:29 AM
That was very well written, Spikey.

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks, my teacher thought so too :)

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 08:41 AM
How come I haven't seen you on MSN in so long? :p

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 08:43 AM
:o womaniser :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM
Devil :devil:

paellapan
May 1st, 2004, 09:07 AM
Thanks, my teacher thought so too :)
Glad to hear that :)
I told you, no ? ;)

jenny161185
May 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM
great report wow It seems so strange to think something like this could happen on the tennis court - This man should still be in jail

BlinX
May 1st, 2004, 02:23 PM
I think people on this board who were too young should know and
understand what happened. It's important in these times because of
the brutal and rude faction wars on the internet. I pray that something
this horrible and worthless never happens in tennis again. Sometimes
I think people get caught up too much in tennis rivalries and start
taking it too personally.

Live and learn everyone. Don't ruin the sport. Please respect all the
players as people. :)

i agree well said :worship:

BlinX
May 1st, 2004, 02:24 PM
by the way, was it at all possible for anyone to have jumped on the man in time, cause in spikey's article it seems to me as if he pulled the knife out a few minutes earlier, so shouldn't anyone have jumped on him or something?:scratch:

faboozadoo15
May 1st, 2004, 02:33 PM
i don't think he had the knife out for long...
and yes, it is definitely possible to prevent such things from happening.
competetent tournaments have better trained security well placed in the stadiums.
but even then, this man wanted to stab monica so badly that he admitted that if he hadn't stabbed her in hamburg, he would have stabbed her in paris. he even admitted that he would use the tactic of asking for an autograph at anytime possible to carry this out.

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 02:34 PM
my article is fiction :p