PDA

View Full Version : Schiavone vs Kuznetsova - WTF!?!?

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Gotta come clean. I thought this semi would be Farina Elia vs Mauresmo.

Kuznetsova's clay court record is staggering in it's ordinariness. She won Helsinki in 2002. It's a Tier IV. Of course, she WAS 17, which makes it more impressive, but it's stil a Tier IV. And she's never made another final on clay. Only one other semi.

Her biggest wins on clay are over Schnyder at Helsinki in 2002, which was while Schnyder was lost in the wilderness, and Daniilidou at Rome in '03. Daniilidou an EXTREMELY inconsistent performer, I can't view this result as a definitive stamp. The older (cuter) SFE has three Tier III wins on clay, and more years playing on red clay than Kuznetsova's been alive. I thought she'd turn Svetlana into a pretzel. Shows what I know.

Mauresmo vs Schiavone - World #3. Former Berlin champ, three time winner on bleeding dirt vs the second best player in Italy and career also ran. Schiavone's coach must have hired extra TV crews to convince Amelei this was a big time match.

So I don't know who the fuck is gonna win this thing. Neither of these players is within sniffing distance of dominant on this surface. Enough slice will take out Kuznetsova on clay, but this isn't Steffi Graf. Worse, there's absolutely NO chance I'll see it. If there's TV in the States, it'll cover the Zvonareva/Williams match.

fammmmedspin
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Why is it surprising that Kuznetsova hasn't much of a record - she hasn't won her first GS yet either. At some point a good player will start beating the consistent older top 15 players - this is her time. They are the door to the top ten and she ought to be opening it sometime soon.
if Francesca can take Kim, Serena and venus close its not surprising she can beat Momo (although Momo wasn't the obvious victim) either.
it will be fascinating. Francesca can win if she can return Kuznetsova's ball and breaks enough (which she can do against the best power players) and somehow holds her serve often enough (which has been the problem). Kuznetsova has to master a more tactical, faster player who will try and wear her out mentally. Kuznetsova had trouble with Myskina - if Francesca is having a very good day she may have the same problem.

jrm
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Kuzi is playing great this week and i'm not suprised she's in SF ... probably my tip for a win in Warsaw

Knizzle
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:44 PM
I also expected Momo vs. Farina Elia. Kuznetsova winning is not a surprise at all. I knew Momo would probably go 3 sets with Schiavone, but I expected her to outlast Fran.

GoGoMaggie
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Is she really 18 years old? She looks far older then that.

sartrista7
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Gotta come clean. I thought this semi would be Farina Elia vs Mauresmo.

Kuznetsova's clay court record is staggering in it's ordinariness. She won Helsinki in 2002. It's a Tier IV. Of course, she WAS 17, which makes it more impressive, but it's stil a Tier IV. And she's never made another final on clay. Only one other semi.

Actually, clay is the surface which propelled Sveta on to the Tour proper - at the start of 2002, she was ranked outside the top 250, and it was mainly some steadily improving performances in small clay tournaments which got her into the top 100.

And she's only played three clay tournaments since Helsinki 2002 - her 2003 clay record wasn't amazing, but none of the losses were anything to be ashamed of:

Berlin May 11 2003
1 S Kuznetsova - V Razzano 6-1 6-1
2 P Schnyder(15) - S Kuznetsova 7-6(4) 6-4

Rome May 18 2003
1 S Kuznetsova - M Mikaelian 6-3 6-2
2 S Kuznetsova - E Daniilidou(12) 6-3 6-2
3 A Myskina(8) - S Kuznetsova 6-4 7-5

Roland Garros June 8 2003
1 M Shaughnessy(18) - S Kuznetsova 3-6 7-5 11-9

Looking at the ease with which she's demolishing her opponents... she should be considered equal favourite for the title with Venus.

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Why is it surprising that Kuznetsova hasn't much of a record - she hasn't won her first GS yet either.She HAS an impressive record. On hard courts.

Sanchez-Vicario, Martinez, Myskina, Dokic (when she could still play) Zvonareva (this year), Venus, Ai, Justine. She has victories on hard courts over some serious players. On clay? Zilch.

Looking at the ease with which she's demolishing her opponents... she should be considered equal favourite for the title with Venus.
See what happens when you skip your meds?:)

Serious, I am NOT going to consider a player with ONE Tier FOUR title on red clay to her credit EQUALLY LIKELY to win with a former RG finalist with Tier I and Tier II victories on red clay.

fried_beans
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Clay is what hse probably grew up on and plays on a lot since she trains at the Sanchez Academy.

flyingmachine
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
It sounds like Kuznetsova is improving all the time :drool: . I hope she will beat Schiavone and have a good go at Venus on the final. :drool: I think Kuznetsova beat Schiavone at 3 sets. :)

ptkten
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I think Sveta once said her favorite surface was clay. However, she has had most of her best results on the faster surfaces. But as she improves she's doing what great players do, win on all surfaces.

sartrista7
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
See what happens when you skip your meds?:)

Serious, I am NOT going to consider a player with ONE Tier FOUR title on red clay to her credit EQUALLY LIKELY to win with a former RG finalist with Tier I and Tier II victories on red clay.

People on this board put too much stock in past performances.

Sveta has no equivalent past performances on clay because she only started playing like a top ten player this year. She wasn't capable of that in the past. She's shifted up several levels since she last set foot on this surface. Therefore, her comparatively meagre record on it is not the best indicator of the level she will play at. More importantly... this year, she has beaten everyone else left in the tournament (Zvonareva in Gold Coast, Schiavone and Venus in Dubai), while they have not beaten her. And by thrashing both a talented junior and a wily veteran, she's shown that the form which took her to those wins is definitely transferrable to this surface regardless of her past record.

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:23 PM
People on this board put too much stock in past performances.
Well, MAYBE, two days from now, 'past performance' will have a little throwdown with 'recent results' and we'll see.

sartrista7
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Well, MAYBE, two days from now, 'past performance' will have a little throwdown with 'recent results' and we'll see.

And isn't that always the way for the best tennis matches? :)

Rtael
May 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM
Actually Volcana, TTC will be showing both these matches (tape delay) tomorrow!

tenn_ace
May 1st, 2004, 01:09 AM
Sveta works really hard... in Miami she was doing drill after drill after drill and that's after 4 weeks of playing and right before her first match in Miami... So no wonder that she's improving so fast recently. Martina N. actually said that Sveta's work ethic is amazing.

I really really really like her attitude.