PDA

View Full Version : Best shot you 've ever seen executed.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:29 PM
For me Matchpoint 1997 French Open Hingis -v- Seles

Martina hits an incredibly deft angled backhand. :worship: :worship:

CJ07
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Last Year on Set Point, Serena rocketed a return winner of a 107ish first serve into the body...right into the corner. The ball literally flew past Justine.

I was like WOW! Even though Serena lost the first set, that HAD to feel good :lol:

fried_beans
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Seles has had so many amazing winners executed on huge points it's hard to choose one.

©@®eLess
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:38 PM
i remember Dokic's backhand diagonale at San Diego finals 2002, Venus stood in schock!!! Those were the days :)

Farina Elia Fan
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Farina Elia's 5th match point against Rubin at wimbledon last year where she hit a forehand down the line and she completly out hit Rubin all match!!!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Venus' one handed backhand on the run i think in last year's wimbledon .v. srebotnik?

Nobody's Perfecc
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Last Year on Set Point, Serena rocketed a return winner of a 107ish first serve into the body...right into the corner. The ball literally flew past Justine.

I was like WOW! Even though Serena lost the first set, that HAD to feel good :lol:
That was an amazing rip from Serena! The serve into the body wasn't that slow and it came back faster! Had to feel good for her? Heck, it felt good for me. :lol:

fried_beans
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Ferrero's between the legs passing shot against Chela last year!

faste5683
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Justine's half-volley drop shot against Jennifer last year at the U.S. Open. An incredible shot in an extremely tight situation.

:wavey:

!<blocparty>!
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Hingis's pass down the line of wimbledon 2000 quarters, where Venus hit a deadly smash, Hingis read it with amazing anticipation and hit down down the line, i was there amd the crowd (along with myself) was stunned.

She aslo hit another single handed backhand winner down the line on the run in that match, it was breath-taking. That match was awesome, i can still hear the crowds www's and oooo's, especially when Venus would spank some leathel off backhands that hingis didnt move for!

I know this is WTA, but did any1 see that shot in Hamburg or Rome last year, im not sure who played it, it was an argentinian i think (maybe Chela) he hit this amazing through the legs down the line winner, im sure all of u will know the point i mean. I agree with DA forehand, that was off a incredible underarm second serve, and the volley was impecable. Graf was a little stunned by the serve i think, and the crowd wernt too pleased!

CanadianBoy21
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Venus vs. Hingis Us Open semis 2000.
Venus dows 3-5 and 15-30 in the third set.
Best tight situation rally. Venus left, right, scrambling like there is NO TOMORROW, finally, she hits an open stance down the line from the middle of the court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DA FOREHAND
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Best tight situation rally. Venus left, right, scrambling like there is NO TOMORROW, finally, she hits an open stance down the line from the middle of the court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was amazing....and it was off of an overhead smash! :worship: :worship:

Allez-H
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Justine's half-volley drop shot against Jennifer last year at the U.S. Open. An incredible shot in an extremely tight situation.

:wavey:
Yep,that and the halfvolley she made while the thirdset-tiebreak against Serena in Berlin 2002.She took the ball behind her back.It was an amazing shot ona crucial point :worship:

UDiTY
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:38 PM
i remember Dokic's backhand diagonale at San Diego finals 2002, Venus stood in schock!!! Those were the days :)
Those were the days when Dokic lost 2 and 2 rather than 0 and 1.:tape:

I am just joking. :wavey:

Yeah, Serena's return against Justine at FO was amazing, she was soo mad!!! Also the same matchup in Berlin '02, it was 5-5 in the third set tiebreak and Justine came to net and hit an amazing half volley dropshot off of a good pass.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Mary's between the legs winner.

And Venus has executed amazing shots...:worship:

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM
What else? The shot to end all shots. The 'death wish drop shot'. I didn't see it live, but of course it was replayed because it was insane. 2nd round Wimbledon, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario vs Raffaella Reggi. ASV is down match point against, and played a drop shot from behind the baseline. She won the point, and possibly because her opponent went into shock, the match. Nav referred to the shot selection as a 'death wish'.

New_balls_please
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Venus vs ASV Olympics 2000 QF
Venus 4-2* 30-30 in the third set.
Loonngggggggg rally, Arantxa run and run and she made a backhand winner.It was amazing.Arantxa shouted: "vamos, vamos" after the point, and B J King started getting nervous.

grmbl
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:47 PM

Yeeaaaahh!!.. :lick:

New_balls_please
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM

Agreed!

sartrista7
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:55 PM
1R Australian Open 2003... Emilie Loit is down 4-5 15-40 in the third set, and saves the first MP with the most exquisite dropshot, prompting Serena's infamous "fucking bitch!" yell ;)

fammmmedspin
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:18 PM
W93 Final Graf hits one late unreturnable forehand mm over the net - Jana tries too hard therafter. QED.

spiceboy
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Wimbledon 89'

17 yo ASV executes an immaculate dropshot from behind the baseline on matchpoint down as her opponent Raffaella Reggi is left astonished in the 4th round...Arantxa saved the point and eventually won the match :worship: :worship: :worship:

GoGoMaggie
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Australian Open 2002
Bjorkman's beteen the legs shot against Tim Henman.

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Younes El Aynaoui. Pick any match.

Hingiswinsthis
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Justine's 3rd set tie break point against Serena @ Berlin 2002 :eek:

Kart
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:02 PM

That's a good choice.

Martina made it look so easy.

Randy H
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Mary's on the run, mid-air, between the legs lob over Monica at Roland Garros 00 QF :eek: Amazing shot :worship:

maccardel
May 1st, 2004, 12:15 AM
Venus and Justine at Amelia Island when Venus came back from being down a set and 4-0. Awesome tennis. Venus was hitting winners left and right and putting pressure on Justine from all angles on the court. I think that is the best match I have ever seen outside of Venus' USopen run in 2000 after defeating Hingis in the semis

*JR*
May 1st, 2004, 01:03 AM
Since Simon mentioned JCF, I'll give a men's example too. During Pistol Pete's "maiden Slam" in '90 (I forget the opponent) he jumped while @ the net (defending Against A lob) and hit a perfect ovahead smash Winner While airborne!

Bezz
May 1st, 2004, 01:08 AM
I remember Hingis's drive volley against serena in the Aussie open 2001, it wasnt till the last minute she changed her mind and with a flick of the wrist placed the ball in the opposite corner to where serena was going, totally unexpected. In the same match serena did a great lunge/stab drop volley on match point which was just amazing aswel, the whole match from 4-2 in the third was just awesome. :cool:

Mr_Molik
May 1st, 2004, 01:11 AM
Steffi vs. Martina Nav Wimbledon final 88 or 89
steffi hit a couple of amazing forehands on the run

Jamie
May 1st, 2004, 02:22 AM
Martina Hingis in the USO vs. Venus. She hit an incredible shot that had everyone on their feet. The next day, Serena won her first GS against Martina.

VeNuS#1LoVa
May 1st, 2004, 03:30 AM
Does anyone remember the forehand crossocurt winner Serena pummeled by Venus at the Oz '03.

It was right after she had got a "bad call" and on the first point of Vee's serve, she ripped it crosscourt...

:hearts:

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 03:57 AM
"Pierce's under the legs lob winner", vs Seles first set RG Quarter-Finals 2000

ys
May 1st, 2004, 04:05 AM
I agree. That was sick..

jdog3008
May 1st, 2004, 04:34 AM
Mary's on the run, mid-air, between the legs lob over Monica at Roland Garros 00 QF :eek: Amazing shot :worship:
It was not at RG, it was the Hilton Head semifinal. And it was the best shot ever. :eek:

MrYonex
May 1st, 2004, 04:41 AM
I like any return winner by Monica Seles. She is the greatest returner ever!

Sofiane
May 1st, 2004, 04:56 AM
It was not at RG, it was the Hilton Head semifinal. And it was the best shot ever. :eek:

It was RG the year Mary won it, and if not mistaken it was the 1/4 finals.
Mary won in three sets.

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 05:51 AM
I remember Hingis's drive volley against serena in the Aussie open 2001, it wasnt till the last minute she changed her mind and with a flick of the wrist placed the ball in the opposite corner to where serena was going, totally unexpected. In the same match serena did a great lunge/stab drop volley on match point which was just amazing aswel, the whole match from 4-2 in the third was just awesome. :cool:
:bounce: What a point and what a match! :hearts:

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 05:56 AM
US Open 1999 semifinals. Hingis vs Venus Williams

Martina is serving at 30-15 and Venus first sends a backhand return deep and then comes into net and volleys. Hingis scrambles from the baseline and gets to the ball, and flicks it down the line for a one-handed backhand winner. The ball wasn't even an inch off the ground when she hit it. Even she was shocked she'd made it. :eek:

Monica Seles vs Francesca Schiavone AO 2002- 3rd Round

Second set, they engage in a long rally running each other all over before Francesca drop shots and Monica runs to it and angles it crosscourt right past Francesca who is near the net.

Monica Seles vs Steffi Graf 1993 AO Final

They had a very long crosscourt rally between Monica's forehand and Steffi's backhand and finally Monica decides to take a risk and rips one down the line. Steffi is left standing at the opposite end.

Another point where Monica is nearly out of it, but hangs on and eventually hits a one-handed pass down the line.

Billabong
May 1st, 2004, 06:18 AM
Hingis VS Venus in US Open 1999, the famous one handed backhand for matchpoint..
Hingis VS Venus in US Open 2000, when Martina made an incredible forehand winner on the line after a great and exciting rally :eek:!
Hingis VS venus in US Open 2000, Venus' famous backhand winner off the overhead of Hingis :eek:!
and of course the Pierce shot against Seles in RG 00!!!

ghosts
May 1st, 2004, 06:22 AM
Maggie vs Venus in Moscow R2

Venus was at the net and Maggie did such a great passing shot which actually landed only meter next to Venus but she thought she has no chances...
In thia match Maggie smashed from the baseline quite strong and Venus applouded :drool: ;)

tennisIlove09
May 1st, 2004, 06:28 AM
Hingis' two one handed back hands (amazing, considering she was a two hander)

1-1999 US Open Semis vs. Venus. To get to match point Hingis runs up, using a one handed backhand that catches the line.

2-2000 Wimbledon Quarter vs. Venus. Second set, after a long rally...Venus pulls Hingis outwide. Hingis, desperate uses the one handed back hand up the line for clean winner.

Venus' backhand down the line off Hingis' smash in the 2000 US Open semis. Hingis was up 6-4 3-6 5-3; 15-30

Greenout
May 1st, 2004, 06:29 AM
I've seen various people attempt this shot, and the sheer madness of
it all on a crucial moment like at a matchpoint or set points against themselves makes it one of the most delirious loveable shots IMHO.
I suppose the sheer surprise(lunacy?) of it makes such the great
shot. I'm speaking of the wacky..

DROP SHOT from the baseline! :lol: You blow it- adios! If you make
it your a genius. :)

I've seen...Natasha Zvereva do it- and some worked others didn't.
Justine does it, Hingis did it; but they usually are the one's getting
the match point. I sort of recall Dokic doing one,Patty,
Kournikova do one..Only the really cheeky players do it.

Lindsay or Monica are not the
type of players to do this. TV commentators hate this
shot with a vengence! :rolls:

Mr_Molik
May 1st, 2004, 06:46 AM
mirjana lucic vs. steffi wimby semis 99
mirjana threw everything at her but steffi always found a way to win the point(backhand smashes, angles etc.)

slice
May 1st, 2004, 07:31 AM
dokic vs venus hamburg (i think) in 2000 or sumthin, dokic served, venus hit a really deep shot down the middle to dokic weho managed to flick the wrist with power and hit an angled backhand winner... i was in shock that it even cleared the net :o

hingis vs seles at indian wells... hingis hit a lob and had started running towards her backhand with such great anticipation that when monica whacked the shit out of it, hingis just guided the ball down the line-lmao... funniest thing ive seen in a while

dokic has tonnes of shots DTL though on both sides that there r 2 many to choose from :eek:

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 07:33 AM
Dokic also had this amazing winner vs Capriati, F0 QF 2002, third set Cap smashed a volley, Dokic runs and passes her with a back down the line ripper :bolt:

DunkMachine
May 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM
I forgot which match it was but Serena once hit an awesome crosscourt service return that made the enire crowd gasp in awe. I believe it was at Wimby.

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM
Venus vs Hingis USO 2000. Venus and Hingis were engaged in another seemingly unending rally and Venus falls down in the middle of the point, gets back up and eventually wins the point. :eek:

Another favourite: Hingis vs Davenport US Open 1997. Martina hits a drop shot from the baseline which goes just over the net and dies. It was absolutely brilliant. They even showed it during the CBS interview Pat McEnroe did with her after the match (before Venus/Spirlea).

SpikeyAidanm
May 1st, 2004, 08:27 AM
Diaz Oliva's out of position bh winner vs Jidkova, 04 Aus Open R1 :worship:

Greenout
May 1st, 2004, 08:45 AM
Venus vs Hingis USO 2000. Venus and Hingis were engaged in another seemingly unending rally and Venus falls down in the middle of the point, gets back up and eventually wins the point. :eek:

Another favourite: Hingis vs Davenport US Open 1997. Martina hits a drop shot from the baseline which goes just over the net and dies. It was absolutely brilliant. They even showed it during the CBS interview Pat McEnroe did with her after the match (before Venus/Spirlea).

Weren't those Hingis -vs- LD matches just brilliant. Just fun
memories in the late 1990's with those two. :) I was a LD
supporter back then, and whenever they played it always made
feel great no matter who won a given final.

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 08:47 AM
Weren't those Hingis -vs- LD matches just brilliant. Just fun
memories in the late 1990's with those two. :) I was a LD
supporter back then, and whenever they played it always made
feel great no matter who won a given final.
Yep. There were some great battles between the two, though I'd rather forget the 2000 Aussie Open final. :p Both of them seemed to be having such a good time when playing each other. I guess it was because of their friendship.

Greenout
May 1st, 2004, 08:51 AM
Yep. There were some great battles between the two, though I'd rather forget the 2000 Aussie Open final. :p Both of them seemed to be having such a good time when playing each other. I guess it was because of their friendship.

2000 AO. ;) They sort of use to split IW and Tokyo
between them. :lol: Remember when after the singles final,
they use to end up playing the doubles finals. Wasn't WIMBLEDON
1998 Hingis/Jana -vs- LD/Natasha a real funny match?. Nat
got tired of LD, and at one part of the match decided to have
a 2-1 volley battle herself against Martina and Jana. :rolls:

Good times, good times.

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 09:01 AM
2000 AO. ;) They sort of use to split IW and Tokyo
between them. :lol: Remember when after the singles final,
they use to end up playing the doubles finals. Wasn't WIMBLEDON
1998 Hingis/Jana -vs- LD/Natasha a real funny match?. Nat
got tired of LD, and at one part of the match decided to have
a 2-1 volley battle herself against Martina and Jana. :rolls:

Good times, good times.
:lol: @ splitting IW and Tokyo between them. So true. They even did that with the Chase from 1998-2001. :p

LMAO! All those singles finals followed by doubles finals. At one point, Martina won 5 consecutive GS finals against LD/Natasha after which Lindsay joked about how they'd stand a chance if Martina teamed with Melanie and Natasha joked about how she could kick Martina in the shins and then maybe they'd have a chance. :lol: Natasha was very upset after the 1998 Wimbledon doubles final. I never got to see that match. :sad:

Those were the days. :angel: :worship:

Vincent
May 1st, 2004, 09:08 AM
Martina do all the great shots in tennis.:eek::p

flyingmachine
May 1st, 2004, 09:12 AM
Martina do all the great shots in tennis.:eek::p
Yeap well most of the times. ;)

E. Blackadder
May 1st, 2004, 09:13 AM
no one beats that one. It's THE legend

tennisjunky
May 1st, 2004, 09:14 AM

that was a great shot. venus lost her balance and kind of did the splits got up and continued on with the point.

speaking of splits, i think kim probably has the most amazing shot on a regular basis. im always in awe how she does those side splits on shots she has no business returning. she does it so often i cant think any one time to single out, but the first time i saw her do that i was like :eek:

great thread, i love re-living all those wonderful shots.

Greenout
May 1st, 2004, 09:25 AM
:lol: @ splitting IW and Tokyo between them. So true. They even did that with the Chase from 1998-2001. :p

LMAO! All those singles finals followed by doubles finals. At one point, Martina won 5 consecutive GS finals against LD/Natasha after which Lindsay joked about how they'd stand a chance if Martina teamed with Melanie and Natasha joked about how she could kick Martina in the shins and then maybe they'd have a chance. :lol: Natasha was very upset after the 1998 Wimbledon doubles final. I never got to see that match. :sad:

Those were the days. :angel: :worship:

It was a 3 set dubs final, and Lindsay ruined it in the end with
her very tepid returns. Real stinkers. Nat got them the 2nd set,
and LD sort of just decided to stand in the back, laughed and
amused herself to no end watching Nat -vs- Martina/Jana at
the net. Really wacky stuff here. Martina was hitting these
un-real returns with so much slice. It was kind of weird, she
looked happier in that match than her actual semi-finals against
Jana. I think she sort of gave it up, and let Jana win her only
grand slam. There was so much respect between them. Very
odd dynamics.

hingis-seles
May 1st, 2004, 10:27 AM
It was a 3 set dubs final, and Lindsay ruined it in the end with
her very tepid returns. Real stinkers. Nat got them the 2nd set,
and LD sort of just decided to stand in the back, laughed and
amused herself to no end watching Nat -vs- Martina/Jana at
the net. Really wacky stuff here. Martina was hitting these
un-real returns with so much slice. It was kind of weird, she
looked happier in that match than her actual semi-finals against
Jana. I think she sort of gave it up, and let Jana win her only
grand slam. There was so much respect between them. Very
odd dynamics.
Sounds like a very odd match. I'll try and get it this summer.

I agree regarding Martina's singles match with Jana. She led 3-0 but then lost it. Oddly, she didn't seem disappointed at all. To the contrary, in her press conference, Martina seemed almost reverential towards Jana.

Roxers
May 1st, 2004, 10:36 AM
Marat Safin`s between the leg passing shot , Lyon 2001 QF against Ivan Ljubicic

jenny161185
May 1st, 2004, 10:56 AM
Pierce's shot was amazing - I loved Capriatis running passing shot against Justine in the Wimbledon Semis- everyone thought Jenny was out of the point Justine was at the net but just shook her head in amazement ;)

Allez-H
May 1st, 2004, 10:57 AM
Pierce's shot was amazing - I loved Capriatis running passing shot against Justine in the Wimbledon Semis- everyone thought Jenny was out of the point Justine was at the net but just shook her head in amazement ;)
Don't you USO semis :confused: ;)

jenny161185
May 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
no Wimby semis 01 I didn t get to see USO semis but form what I hear that was full of amazing shots aswell

sarza
May 1st, 2004, 11:06 AM
no Wimby semis 01 I didn t get to see USO semis but form what I hear that was full of amazing shots aswell

ohhh yes it was, great shots and a great match 2

Allez-H
May 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM
O,I'm sorry both matches were fantasatic (certainly as a Ju-fan) but you just have to watch the USO-semi.It was just incredible,it wasn't voted as one of the 4 best matches ever for nothing ;)

!<blocparty>!
May 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM
Monica Seles vs Steffi Graf 1993 AO Final

They had a very long crosscourt rally between Monica's forehand and Steffi's backhand and finally Monica decides to take a risk and rips one down the line. Steffi is left standing at the opposite end.

Classic Monica:worship: :worship:

!<blocparty>!
May 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Lindsay's backhand crosscourt winner second set, wimby quarters 2003 against venus. That game was just fantastic, LD was 40-0 up, but after like 8 deuces she finally won it.

baleineau
May 1st, 2004, 03:15 PM
Martinez versus Mary-Joe Fernandez in Fed Cup. I think it was 1995 or 1996. On match point, Conchita hits the most exquisite backhand drop-shot crosscourt. the angle was so tight. if you asked any pro to name a place on the court where that ball could not have landed, it was that particular spot. the ball almost bounced back on conchita's side, and Mary Joe, try as she might, almost fell into the net trying to dig it up. audacious and brilliant at the same time.

¤CharlDa¤
May 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Mary's between the legs lob winner against Monica in Roland Garros 00 was jsut incredible!!!!

Venus down the line passsing shot agasint Hingis in 00 semis! ONe of the best matches ever, and one of the best points ever!

Venus' one handed backhand passing shot vs Srebotnik in Wimby...Just great! And the reaction even greater!

Im surprised no one stated the backhand passing shot Serena did vs Venus in Ao 03! The ball was like less than a feet from the gournd and she ripped it down the line!

crazillo
May 1st, 2004, 05:34 PM
Pierce - Seles at RG, this lob by Pierce ya know....

Maggie - Farina Rome 2003.. Maggie hit an unbelievabe drop shot, 1 cm behind the net lol

Bitter Blue Bong
May 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Venus' one handed backhand on the run i think in last year's wimbledon .v. srebotnik?

Ditto. That was one of the rare times when even Venus seemed surprised by her shotmaking ability.

croat123
May 1st, 2004, 07:23 PM
Talaja vs. Likhovtseva, Miami, last year, third set

Elena's shot hit the net and Talaja was forced to run it down an come into net. Elena had a high bh for a passing shot and hit it dtl. Talaja hit the ball between her legs while facing away from the net and hit a perfect cc drop volley :eek:

morbidangle
May 1st, 2004, 07:37 PM
Mary's between the legs lob against Monica was just extraordinary!

2000 New Haven. Venus Vs Monica. After a loooon rally Monica has Venus on the run and come to the net on a short ball, Venus hits a weak log and Monica punishes the ball into the corner, but Venus guessed which way Monica was going and hits a great down the line pass... Great stuff! After the match Monica said that shot shocked her like the famous Mary lob did!

1991 Wimbledon
*6-6, 40-30. Gaby comes to the net and Steffi hits an awesome cross court pass to go up 7-6

1992 Wimbledon
Serving for the match against Monica, Steffi hits a strong first serve and Monica hits an even harder return, but Steffi goes for a short cross court forehand winner that was a feet inside the service line.

Monica had great angles off both wings. I can't point any particular rally, but she had great angles.

SJW
May 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Serena vs Davenport USO 01...i think it was 6-3 6-7 6-5 with Dav serving at 30 all. Serena hits a shot hard to Linzi's bh and makes her way up the court...Linzi rips it to go down the line, and Serena hits the most amazing volley, full stretch, racquet touching the ground.

it amazed me, because Serena can't volley :)

7~ŒLêV3ñ½
May 1st, 2004, 08:23 PM
ms Venus Sampras smash against Henin in Wimbledon 02...I rarely see tennis on tv..

arcus
May 1st, 2004, 08:32 PM
ATP, but..........

Ivan Llendl hits an UNDER-arm DROPSHOT SERVE to ACE John McEnroe.

Priceless...
The look on Mcenroes face, complaining to the umpire that it should have been illegal.

potty
May 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM
Wimbledon 1994 Final Conchi Vs Martina Nav

The best series of passing shots I have ever seem, one after another!! Some were breath taking, Nav had no chance of getting to them. Conchi just seemed to rip them over the net with such angles forehand and backhand!

I can just remember watching tha match and kept hearing Martina saying "too good" over and over!!

VS Fan
May 2nd, 2004, 12:58 AM
My Vote:

Serena's running crosscourt forehand smash vs Lindsay at the 2001 US Open on Match Point.

Serena suggested that she KNEW she had the piont when she hit it, but I am skeptical.
This shot was unreal and won the match for Serena.

esquímaux
May 2nd, 2004, 01:57 AM
At one of the US Opens (I think) Maggie served a ball and threw her racquet into the ad court, she scrambled to get her racquet and eventually won the point :lol:

MisterQ
May 2nd, 2004, 02:03 AM
there are so many, and a lot of them have already been described... I agree that Seles has a million of these, and Hingis too.

Capriati has hit some amazing defensive shots in her matches vs. Serena. I don't remember the specific match (it was in 2001 or 2002 --- miami?), but Capriati was pulled out really wide and way behind the baseline. it didn't look like she could possibly get to the ball, but somehow she got her racket on it and threw up a high lob. After what seemed like an eternity, the ball fell on the opposite corner of the court, precisly where the baseline and sideline meet.

PatM04
May 2nd, 2004, 02:08 AM
Aus open 03 Serena lost a game with a bad call to go down 4-5 in the first set. On the first point if the next game Venus served a first serve over 100MPH and I guess Serena's anger got the best of her. She took a rip cross court and hit the return back cross court harder than the serve. Mary Carillo just laughed her head off!:)

spencercarlos
May 2nd, 2004, 03:07 AM
Aus open 03 Serena lost a game with a bad call to go down 4-5 in the first set. On the first point if the next game Venus served a first serve over 100MPH and I guess Serena's anger got the best of her. She took a rip cross court and hit the return back cross court harder than the serve. Mary Carillo just laughed her head off!:)
Yes i loved that shot... simply incredible return of serve

SJW
May 2nd, 2004, 09:36 AM
omg i remember that too :worship:

spike83
May 2nd, 2004, 09:40 AM
Serena vs Clijsters AUSOPEN 2003

Clijsters leads 5-1 and matchpoint. Serena just goes for the lines in a very exciting rally, and finally outguns Kim.

hingis-seles
May 2nd, 2004, 09:58 AM
Wimbledon 1992 final.

Steffi is serving for the match at 6-2, 5-1 and the first point, Monica returns the ball at an extremely acute angle, right in the corner of the service box.

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
Serena´s backhand passing shot against VEnus in the third in the final of the ´03 Oz open.

That was the best passing shot I´ve ever seen...it was amazing how Serena digged that volley up and then curled it past Venus.

jenny161185
May 2nd, 2004, 12:47 PM
Im just thinking about the Kim - Serena Oz Open Semi - when Serena was matchpoints down and hit this amazing inside backhand to Kim who was going the other way - that was great

Andre@
May 2nd, 2004, 03:19 PM
Mary's on the run, mid-air, between the legs lob over Monica at Roland Garros 00 QF :eek: Amazing shot

Martina is serving at 30-15 and Venus first sends a backhand return deep and then comes into net and volleys. Hingis scrambles from the baseline and gets to the ball, and flicks it down the line for a one-handed backhand winner. The ball wasn't even an inch off the ground when she hit it. Even she was shocked she'd made it.

I have to add about this shot was that the ball passed out side the net!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Martina hits an incredibly deft angled backhand

It was like to play tennis is very easy

Greenout
May 2nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Mary's on the run, mid-air, between the legs lob over Monica at Roland Garros 00 QF :eek: Amazing shot

Martina is serving at 30-15 and Venus first sends a backhand return deep and then comes into net and volleys. Hingis scrambles from the baseline and gets to the ball, and flicks it down the line for a one-handed backhand winner. The ball wasn't even an inch off the ground when she hit it. Even she was shocked she'd made it.

I have to add about this shot was that the ball passed out side the net!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Martina hits an incredibly deft angled backhand

It was like to play tennis is very easy

Good memories. The thing about Mary's insane shot was that
it was in a grand slam and QF no less. When she won that shot
it was just destiny that she would win RG in the latter rounds.
The tennis Gods were with her all the way. What can you say? ;)

The Hingis 99 shot was killer too. Yep, sort of seen Natasha Z
do that too. Could she have picked it up from her? Who knows?
What's the beauty of the Hingis shot was that we usually
didn't associate her with 1-handed backhands. The surprise
element and utter gall of attempting a shot like that was
almost like being the classroom "show off". Really cheeky; but
great. :p

bandabou
May 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
Im just thinking about the Kim - Serena Oz Open Semi - when Serena was matchpoints down and hit this amazing inside backhand to Kim who was going the other way - that was great

Yeah...and the way Serena saved the second mp....great, great.

Allez-H
May 2nd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Serena idd played great to comeback in the match against Kim.

hingis-seles
May 2nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
The Hingis 99 shot was killer too. Yep, sort of seen Natasha Z do that too. Could she have picked it up from her? Who knows?
What's the beauty of the Hingis shot was that we usually
didn't associate her with 1-handed backhands. The surprise
element and utter gall of attempting a shot like that was
almost like being the classroom "show off". Really cheeky; but
great. :p
That's what I loved about Martina. She was so cheeky with that grin after those brilliant shots. She actually had the audacity to pull them off. Kind of like when she hit that drive volley at the 2001 Aussie Open against Serena. It was a last minute decision and all it took was a flick of the wrist from her.

Love the Great, Cheeky Martina Hingis. One of a kind. :kiss: