PDA

View Full Version : V. Williams vs Zvonareva - 2nd verse, same as the 1st?

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:03 PM
They just played two weeks ago. What will the two players try to do differently?

What will the difference between red and green clay FORCE them to do differently?

Zvonareva certainly isn't going to let Williams waltz to the net anytime she wants as she did at Charleston.

tennisIlove09
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Zvonareva certainly isn't going to let Williams waltz to the net anytime she wants as she did at Charleston.
We hope (or at least Zvonareva supporters hope) not.

lizchris
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:05 PM
I don't know what happened to Maggie today, but if Venus plays Vera the way she played Maggie today, Vera has no chance.

Knizzle
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
According to J and S cup stats, Venus hasn't been to net alot, but she has a HIGH success. They may count net points differently than the FCC did though.

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I don't know what happened to Maggie today, but if Venus plays Vera the way she played Maggie today, Vera has no chance.
Certainly if Vera plays the way Maggie did, Vera has no chance. But clay isn't exactly Maggie's best surface.

tennnisfannn
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM
According to J and S cup stats, Venus hasn't been to net alot, but she has a HIGH success. They may count net points differently than the FCC did though.Venus was getting the job done from the baseline, maybe that is why she venture into the net alot.
Still an intriguing match

lizchris
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Certainly if Vera plays the way Maggie did, Vera has no chance. But clay isn't exactly Maggie's best surface.They way Vera was playing today, you would think the same thing.

Venus' serve was only vunerable in two games, while Vera was broken a few times in her match. The only difference is that she was able to break back.

venusfan
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Venus will kick ass

hewittrok
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I think that the red clay is much better for Vera its slower then the green one. This can give her an advanced toward Venus.

Dave B
I think it might be a little closer given that it is on red clay, but Venus will probably come out on top. If Zvon Zvon can pull it off...well then she deserves to be in the top ten.

Knizzle
Venus was getting the job done from the baseline, maybe that is why she venture into the net alot.
Still an intriguing match
Vera will be able to make longer points from the baseline because she stands so far back so Vee will need to go to net more to win easily.

Volcana
Venus' height makes it high-risk, but short, low slice followed by offensive lob got Conchi a few points vs Venus. Vera might want to try that.

DeDe4925
I think if Vee stays aggressive and gets a high percentage of her first serves in, Vera won't have any choice but to allow Vee into the net. Also, Vee will come in to net on Vera's second serves, because she stands so far inside the baseline to return. I think Vee is just on fire on clay this season.

hewittrok
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:22 PM
If Vera wants to be int he top ten she needs to prove it, unlike Elena. lol

mauresmofan
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Venus is playing Great at the moment - with Venus in this form I wouldn't hold out much hope for Vera (sorry Vera fans). Venus in 2 (6-2 6-3).

LindsayRocks89
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:26 PM
hoping Venus is through to the finals, and i think she will be :bounce:

hewittrok
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:27 PM
In many ways you are right, Venus really wnats to be back into the top ten. And she can prove it on the clay, her least favorite surface.

Foot_Fault
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:31 PM
I think Venus is smart enough to assess what her on-court strategy will be, especially once she get a feel for what she wants to do out there. Last week, she stunned Vera with Net Play...i am sure she will realize Vera Z will be expecting that and use net play but other tactics. Venus Isn't a Serve and Volleyer...but she uses the net in this Venture...Deep, Deep, Approach, Volley. If you watch the Conchi match, you'll see what I mean.

hewittrok
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Conchi was dead by the second set.

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Conchi was dead by the second match.
Did you mean second SET?

hewittrok
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Did you mean second SET?yes, sorry.

sartrista7
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:45 PM
According to J and S cup stats, Venus hasn't been to net alot, but she has a HIGH success. They may count net points differently than the FCC did though.

That's just good tactics from Venus... red clay allows the opponent that extra fraction of a second to set up their passing shots, so it's best not to go to net too much, especially against someone with Vera's groundstrokes.

Certainly the surface helps Vera more - the ball bounces exactly in her preferred hitting zone - but I'm still not convinced that Vera has the head for this match. Venus to win.

Ballbuster
Apr 30th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Venus seems to be more patient. She has evolved. Hopefully, the same way Serena evolved in 2002. She seems to be more strategic and less like the wild girl of 97 and glimses of earlier this year.

Now that her fitness has risen and her feel for the ball has gotten better. I expect great things out of her this year. Her game seems to be maturing at an alarming rate. Yes, I credit BJK and Nav, and Richard.

Havok
Apr 30th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Venus in 2 easy sets

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I think that it would not favor Zvonareva to assume that the surface will reverse the outcome of the previous match. She stated, correctly, in her post-match that Venus played al the important points better. I think perhaps, more to the point, Venus recognized the important points as they came up, and Vera did not.

New_balls_please
Apr 30th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Venus in 2

DA FOREHAND
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:10 PM
"Zvonareva certainly isn't going to let Williams waltz to the net anytime she wants as she did at Charleston."

AS IF!

Kabezya
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I hope Venus wins. After her injury I've learned not to take Venus and capabilities for granted anymore. I'm pulling for Venus to win and hope for a good match.

CJ07
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:46 PM
I think Venus will substitute angels for net play.
She did that in Charleston. She'd either go to the net, or use angels. And especially with her forehand angels, if she hits it well, vera will go up the line, V will hit a cross court backhand, Vera will hit a defensive slice, V winner up the line

OR Vera will hit cross court, Venus hit a winner up the line.

Either way, Venus wins.

And quite frankly, Venus was about to win in Paris, She was up 3-2 40-15 and then she fell apart

ys
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I think that the red clay is much better for Vera its slower then the green one. This can give her an advanced toward Venus.
The difference is not speed of surface. The major difference is bounce. Vera with her extreme Western grip loves high bounce. She is clearly uncomfortable and never been successful on green clay because of relatively low bounce of geen clay. That's going to be a fun match. It is going to be closer than in Charleston.

Knizzle
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:58 PM
The difference is not speed of surface. The major difference is bounce. Vera with her extreme Western grip loves high bounce. She is clearly uncomfortable and never been successful on green clay because of relatively low bounce of geen clay. That's going to be a fun match. It is going to be closer than in Charleston.
Venus seems to be playing a bit better here than in Charleston. I think Venus' mental toughness on the big points will make the difference in the match.

Dava
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Venus has just beaten a player of Maleevas calibur 6-0 6-1, my moneys on her.

hewittrok
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:05 PM
This could be an all Russian final, if Venus stops it from becoming one.

crewman31
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:34 PM
venus all the way

hewittrok
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM
i dont know, but it seems that vera might take this in 3 sets.

vs1
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Venus has just beaten a player of Maleevas calibur 6-0 6-1, my moneys on her.
DAVA!! :kiss: My money is on YOU!!! ;)

COME ON VENUS!!! :bounce:

Couver
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I think this match has the potential to be the match of the tournament!

Venus should just take care of her forehand IMO. That's the only thing Vera seems to attack in all their matches. When it holds up Venus usually wins comfortably. If it doesn't then she's in trouble.

Chance
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:34 PM
it's going to be a tough match... not sure who will win. I read that Venu's thigh was strapped in her quarterfinal, so who knows if it will affect her performance on Saturday.

lizchris
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:43 PM
it's going to be a tough match... not sure who will win. I read that Venu's thigh was strapped in her quarterfinal, so who knows if it will affect her performance on Saturday.
It must have been a precaution because she won 6-1, 6-0.

LeonHart
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:58 PM
This match will be closer than Charleston for sure. The red clay will give time for Vera to hit her shots (not to mention more time to pick on that erratic williams forehand). Go Vera! Win your first title of the season! :bounce:

Venus Forever
May 1st, 2004, 12:03 AM
i dont know, but it seems that vera might take this in 3 sets.
How does it seem like that?

Hmmm... Venus has won 24 or her last 27 games. If that's not dominance and looking good, I don't know what is.

BigTennisFan
May 1st, 2004, 01:27 AM
I think Venus will substitute angels for net play.
She did that in Charleston. She'd either go to the net, or use angels. And especially with her forehand angels, if she hits it well, vera will go up the line, V will hit a cross court backhand, Vera will hit a defensive slice, V winner up the line

OR Vera will hit cross court, Venus hit a winner up the line.

Either way, Venus wins.

And quite frankly, Venus was about to win in Paris, She was up 3-2 40-15 and then she fell apart
Well said. Let's hear it for the angels. :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

WF4EVER
May 1st, 2004, 01:42 AM
Well said. Let's hear it for the angels. :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

You beat me to it. :lol:

With all her angels Venus can't lose!:angel: :worship: :angel: :worship: :angel: :worship: :angel: :worship:

And certainly some good angles would help, too. Go Venus!!!!!

ys
May 1st, 2004, 03:12 AM
Hmmm... Venus has won 24 or her last 27 games. If that's not dominance and looking good, I don't know what is.
When resistance starts, dominance ends.

Infiniti2001
May 1st, 2004, 03:29 AM
I find it laughable that some posters come up with road blocks where Venus is concerned. They had her losing to Vera at FCC-- when she won they claimed that Vera's game is better suited for red clay . She is my favourite, but red clay, green clay, fuschia clay , hardly matters. I just hope that she carries her current form into tomorrow's match. Go Vee :bounce: :bounce:

Venus Forever
May 1st, 2004, 01:45 PM
When resistance starts, dominance ends.
Too bad Vera couldn't offer up that resistance.

Ballbuster
May 1st, 2004, 01:48 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

WF4EVER
May 1st, 2004, 01:49 PM
I find it laughable that some posters come up with road blocks where Venus is concerned. They had her losing to Vera at FCC-- when she won they claimed that Vera's game is better suited for red clay . She is my favourite, but red clay, green clay, fuschia clay , hardly matters. I just hope that she carries her current form into tomorrow's match. Go Vee :bounce: :bounce:

Reading comments on Vee's demolition of Maleeva I'm under the impression the some folks just find it impossible to give Venus Williams any credit for a good performance. Tragic, I say. Tragic indeed.

Infiniti2001
May 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Reading comments on Vee's demolition of Maleeva I'm under the impression the some folks just find it impossible to give Venus Williams any credit for a good performance. Tragic, I say. Tragic indeed.

Vee doesn't need credit from naysayers-- she has enough support from her fans who believe in her. :bounce: :bounce: It's just so sweet when she proves them wrong :lol:
Go Vee!!!

Rocketta
May 1st, 2004, 02:56 PM
Sweet it is! :dance:

Volcana
May 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM
"Second verse, same as the first,
a little bit louder and a little bit worse"

bandabou
May 1st, 2004, 04:31 PM
The same the same....what, what?! Anyone thought differently?!

Jericho
May 1st, 2004, 06:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :tape: