PDA

View Full Version : Sears back coaching Hantuchova

spiceboy
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:00 AM
http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2004/04/29/sthanc29.xml&sSheet=/sport/2004/04/30/ixtenn.html

Nigel Sears, the British coach who has again linked up with Daniela Hantuchova (http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;$sessionid$M3RERNVRWYOXXQFIQMFCFF4AVCBQ YIV0?xml=/sport/2003/05/29/stpars29.xml) after the Slovakian failed to establish a working relationship with American Harold Solomon, believes the 21-year-old has arrested the slide in her ranking from five to her current position of 45.

"There's no question she is in a much healthier condition," he said in Warsaw, where Hantuchova recovered from 0-5 in the first round to beat Maria Sanchez Lorenzo but yesterday lost 6-4, 7-5 to Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi. "She's at her right playing weight now, and she's starting to strike the ball without fear again.
"She's going to have to get through some matches, especially on clay, which isn't perhaps her best surface, but she's been playing some very good tennis in practice and I'm very happy with how her game is shaping up.

"In Miami against Venus Williams she played one of the best sets I've seen her play in at least a year and a half, and that showed her that she's starting to get back to where she was."

Williams, who sustained a stomach muscle injury in last year's Warsaw final against Amelie Mauresmo which led to her struggle at Wimbledon and prevented her playing the second half of the season, continued her recent run of form by beating Australian Open semi-finalist Fabiola Zuluaga 4-6, 6-2, 6-0.

The American, who recently won her first title in 14 months, struggled to put her first serve into play in the opening set, but then overpowered the Colombian.

lee station
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:04 AM
yep

tennisIlove09
Apr 30th, 2004, 03:31 AM
could this be the root of her problems? One day she has a coach....the next day she doesn't. Now she does....but for now long?

Greenout
Apr 30th, 2004, 03:51 AM
I'm of 2 minds with Sears. It's good that she's
got a coach once more that she feels comfortable with; but alot of people,
myself, included were disappointed in his reactions during WIMBLEDON
in her meltdown against Shinobu. Dani was doing so well, all the
media attention, then the game level dropped. The weight issue came up,
and Nigel Sears seemed to be over his head in handling Dani.

I think she should seriously look to spend some money and hire are
real solid reputable coach. It's important to take her talents to a higher
level.

Knizzle
Apr 30th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I wish I could see that match between her and Venus from Miami.

Chunchun
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:51 AM
hope that Daniela can get good results then

tennischick
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Harold is an excellent coach but i wouldn't have picked him for her. Sears IMO has done more damage than good to her psyche in the past. hopefully he has gotten over himself by now.

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Sears IMO has done more damage than good to her psyche in the past.Really? Why? He always seemed quite straightforward with her to me.

I still believe that the attempts to turn Dani into some kind of sex symbol contributed more to her downfall than anything else. Not everyone can handle that sort of thing.

Daniel
Apr 30th, 2004, 07:36 AM
hope he helps her!!!! :)