PDA

View Full Version : Warsaw Quarterfinal Predictions!

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Here we go!

My Predictions for the Quarterfinal Round of the J&S Cup in Warsaw, Poland are as follows:

Match #1: Amelie Mauresmo (1) vs. Franchesca Schiavone (9)
Franchesca go a little bit of luck on her side, when Paola's withdrawl moved her into a more favorable section of the draw, but this is where her run for the roses ends. Mauresmo, has been of the most solid performers on tour this year. If it wasn't for her back problems, the Oz Open final would have, in my honest opinion, been a re-match of the WTA Tour Champs. I think that when Amelie is on, not many people outside of the Williams Sisters and Kim, can stop her. Health will be the biggest factor in this match, as it always is in Amelie's matches. She has an exciting all-court game, that if she began to discover and ultilize, she may find herself playing match #7 at the US Open or Wimbledon. She's a force on clay, but Schiavone is a tough competitor. She's done well against some top players, but I think this match will be all Amelie. Expect one tough set and one hard one, but Amelie should advance if her health is not a concern, and she plays with not only confidence, but conviction.
Prediction: Amelie in 2 Tought Sets

Match #2: Svetlana Kuznetsova (3) vs. Silvia Farina Elia (6)
Svetlana's had some amazing wins over some great players on the toughest surfaces (def. V. Williams and J. Henin-Hardenne both on hardcourt, surfaces that they have both won multiple Grand Slams on), and because of this, she has recieved a huge boost in her confidence. She is ranked just outside of the top ten, and by the time, they raise the flags in Olympic Stadium (should they finish the buildings), Kuznetsova could find herself in the top ten. Her Fed Cup teammate, Zvonareva knows what it's like to be there, and this will be Kuznetsova's coming out party. She is capable of doing a lot of damage. She's had an easy draw thus far (destroying compatiot Vera Douchevina, losing only one game), and this match against Siliva, who's had a decent year, should be very telling of her ability to crack the top ten. I think that Silvia will put a fight (she's gotta be tired of losing all of these matches to younger upstarts), but no matter how hard Siliva pushes, Svetlana will push back, harder. This is Kuznetsova's time to shine, but it won't come without some work.
Prediction: Kuznetsova in 3 Tough Sets

Match #3: Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (8) vs. Vera Zvonareva (3)
This is gonna be a good match. I think.... If Smashnova can play the kind of tennis that got her into the quarterfinals, then she'll be ok, and may challenge Vera. Vera is on a tennis high right now. She is playing great clay cour tennis right now, and I think that, if she can keep it together, her semifinal match-up with Venus has classic match potential. But that's the thing, Vera has got to take it one match at a time. If she can keep her head in the game and realize the impresive clay court record that she has, and all of the causualties that she has 'collected', then there's no way that Anna could possibly do anything about it. This match is in Vera's hands, it's hers to keep or to give away, but I think Vera will win here fairly easily.
Prediction: Vera in 2 Fairly Easy Sets

Match #4: Magdelena Maleeva vs. Venus Williams (2)
This is going to be another good match. Venus doesn't have a losing record to very many active players (in fact, besides Magdelena and Serena, I don't think it's anyone), so Venus will have some extra incentive to win this match. She's regained her Roland Garros '02 form to a degree. Look for Venus to continue improving and mixing up her game by not only serving well, but coming in to net quite a bit. She started off her match against Zuluaga slowly, but had it been anyone other non-seeded player at this tournament, she may not have lost that first set. She's as intimidating, whether people want to admit it or not, as Paris Hilton is rich. She will always be a force. Even to this day, people call wins over Venus, the biggest in their careers. She's got a lot to lose, but a whole lot more to gain. If she wins this match, it sets up another claycourt battle with Zvonareva, the fiesty Russian who sent her packing in Paris last May. Venus should get through this match with a little resistance from Maleeva, but not a lot of it. Maleeva's played some great clay tennis, and she will undoubtedly test Venus, but Venus is too motivated, and when she is truly motivated, then I really don't see anyone, besides Serena, beating her. Venus has a lot going for her: serve, motivation, movement, and the x-factor, no one has beaten her on clay this year. Maleeva will test Venus, but she should pass with flying colors, and a regal victory curtsey to boot.
Prediction: Venus in 2 Sets

My Predicted Semifinal Matchups:

Semifinal #1:
Amelie Mauresmo (1) vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova (4)

Semifinal #2:
Vera Zvonareva (3) vs. Venus Williams (2)

What do you guys think?

Tune in tomorrow for my semifinal predictions!

:bounce: Good Luck to::bounce:
Amelie
Svetlana
Vera
and
VENUS!

Knizzle
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:16 AM
I think:

Momo in 3 sets
Farina Elia in 2 sets
Zvonareva in 3 sets
Venus in 2 sets

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Her Fed Cup teammate, Zvonareva knows what it's like to be thereWhere? On the edge of the top ten and losing to better players? Not to mention, she not only has to beat out Vera to make the top ten, she has to beat out Venus, who defends nothing after this til RG.

Ah why be contentious? Kuznetsova is good, but probably THREE players have to drop out of the top ten for her to get in.

VRULES
Apr 30th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Hingis has a winning record against Venus as does Graf and Novotana and I think MJF, and I think matches she played early in her career like 1995/96, when she only played them once.

I agree. This could be the tourny that the top four seeds make the SF. I think:

Momo in 2
Kuznetsova in 2 tough or 3
Vera in 2 unless Anna has something to bring
and Venus in 2, one tough one slightly easy ie. 7-5 6-2

Mr_Molik
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:40 AM
momo in 2, 1 tought 1 easy
silvia in 3
vera in 2, 1 tought 1 easy
venus in 2, whitewash

Andrew.
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Momo in 2
Svetlana in 2
Vera in 3 (We all know her problems with wall)
Venus in 2

Chunchun
Apr 30th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Amelie in 2
Faina Elia in 3
veraZ in 2/3
Venus in 3

Volcana
Apr 30th, 2004, 06:33 AM
This could be the tourny that the top four seeds make the SF.
BOR-ing!

How about ....

Schiavone plays like she did at 2002 Hopman Cup, and up-ends Amelie in three sets.

Farina Elia, the superior clay court player, frustrates Kuznetsova with an array of slices and topspin, with varying speed. Kuznetsova's resorts to a power game and starts spraying forehands. SFE wins 4 and 3.

AnnaSmash treats Vera like the Egyptian army in the Six Day War. Vera wins the first set, then finds Samshnova-Pistolesi jumping on every shot that lands onthe service line and turning it into a short angle.

Heaven forfend! It turns out clay is more like carpet than cement. MM leaves heads shaking again, once more defeating Venus was leaving no trace of how she did it.

The tournament organizers would be sick, but ALL FOUR top seeds in the semis? Why even play the early rounds?

LucasArg
Apr 30th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Amelie in 3 sets like 6-3 6-7(4) 6-4
Kuznetsova in 2 like 6-3 7-5
Zvonareva in 2 like 7-6 (3) 7-5
Venus in 2 like 7-5 6-1

:wavey:

Jackson.
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Mauresmo def Schiavone 6-2 6-3
Kuznetsova def Farina Elia 6-1 6-4
Zvonareva def Pistolesi 6-0 4-6 6-2
Maleeva def Williams 6-4 1-6 6-3

pav
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
The match between Anna and Vera
has had Me worried all day
While ramming a fence post and drenching the bulls
I found My thoughts always would stray
to a matchup that's always intrigueing
full of drama,lead changes and fits
sometimes the end results pleasing
other times I'm at the end of My wits

Both will be sliding and stretching,
with patches of red at the end
they will both be trying to hit winners
and won't they do Their best to defend
Vera will try to out hit Her
and throw up the defensive moonball
Anna will run down most everything
and live up to her name of 'The Wall'

Vera's above on the rankings
logic tells us She'll make the next round
but Anna's fit, persistant and cunning
and could run Vera into the ground

So much depends on Vera's temper
We all know Her flash-point is low
it just takes a wrong line call or missed smash
to cause Her reactor to blow
that's when the raquets start breaking
the muttering gets increasingly loud
Anna finds the points get more easy
Vera will lose the support of the crowd

I hope that young Vera will triumph
at the close of this quarter final day
We will see Her eyes lit up and smiling
signing and waving away
or can Anna cause those eyes to moisten
slowly changing from vivid blue to gray
Her head down,the tears quickly falling
making mud of the red Warsaw clay

I hope I can go to bed happy
after watching the thread and board slow
and drift off to sleep thinking She did it!
not tossing and calling Oh No!
Go Vera!!

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:50 AM
pav :clap2:

Dymension
Apr 30th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Mauresmo 4/6 7/5 6/0
Farina Elia 1/6 6/4 6/2
Smashnova 6/3 6/3
Queen Vee 6/1 6/1 :hearts:

rightous
Apr 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
C'mon Anna, the wall is back on the red clay, probably will be a marathon, Anna loses the first set 6-0 and goes 5-0 down in the second and winds the next 13 games to win 0-6, 7-5, 6-0:)

Peetz
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Hingis has a winning record against Venus as does Graf and Novotana and I think MJF, and I think matches she played early in her career like 1995/96, when she only played them once.

Exactly Hingis has a winning record against Venus cause she retired at the right time!What would the record look like if she would still play today like she played when she retired?? :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Russian Rule is on the money so far... the only one here ;)